Han

Developer Diary 231 - Discussion

Another member here who's getting a bit excited .

Unfortunately, my gaming computer is packed away in preparation for a move, and I'm not yet sure where I'm moving to!

Hopefully, my cockpit will be set up again by the time any teething problems are just about sorted.

Congrats and salutations to our incredible dev teams. 

1 hour ago, AHCol_Hogan said:

Outstanding shots!

@Jason, What's next after the final BOBP update?

This isn't the final update though, we'll still be missing the careers at least.

Great news? No Fantastic news! Thanks for this great effort in realism and playability. This is a simulation going forward. Once again, thanks. :salute:

Did I just see multi-threading is coming to Il-2? How many threads are we looking at? As many as the processor can handle, or more of a fix 8 or 16?

If Il-2 is starting to support multithreading, this changes everything...

• Upvote 2

Looks great! :drinks:

Might just have to spring for that new video card. I really want some 1440p action with all of this upcoming graphical goodness.

• Like 1

All I can say is wow! This release is going to be unprecedented, and I thank all the devs for their hard work. Bodenplatte will surely be a masterpiece, and I look forward to the future projects of this team!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Might just have to spring for that new video card. I really want some 1440p action with all of this upcoming graphical goodness.

Yes, could be the moment of truth for some of our systems. 

Will I need an upgrade, or will I maybe need to compromise graphic settings?

I hope my system will be good enough, with maybe a frame rate hit.

Bring it on!

• Upvote 1

I'm getting more excited than I expected!

I remember in the early days of flight sims thinking "Wouldn't it be fantastic if someday PC flight sims looked as good as those multimillion dollar simulators the airlines and military have?"

Now, we have sims like BoBP that look much better than the top of the line simulators did a generation ago, and with VR, I've come closer to experiencing my dream of flying a WW2 fighter than I ever thought possible. Great work guys! You're doing something that has never been done before!. 

• Upvote 3

I was 'IL-2 offline' for a long time also because I wasn't really satisfied with the simulator anymore. But the sheer size of BoBp changed my mind now. So much content for just $70 is definitely worth buying. The map looks really great. Looking forward to  the update. Great work, thank you.

3 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Perhaps Dorothy Olsen?

She died at the age of 103 on July the 23th this year and flew the P-38 also.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/us/dorothy-olsen-dead.html

Dorothy Olsen.jpg

Boy, that picture makes me want to get inside her!

THE PLANE , THE PLANE!!! I'm talking about the P-38! Geez! This is probably going to be the go to flight simulator airplane on my laptop. When I sit down to fly, it will be to fly the P-38. I'm VERY tempted to look for a yoke so that it will feel right. That twin engined beauty is what made me pre-ordere Bodenplatte. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Did I just see multi-threading is coming to Il-2? How many threads are we looking at? As many as the processor can handle, or more of a fix 8 or 16?

Exactly! That was my key takeaway too, though it's an impressive announcement in many ways.

Most users with 6core/12thread or 8c/16t CPUs will have a ton of currently unutilised CPU power.  So off-loading landscape and environment prep work to those additional threads should benefit performance for all workloads, ie better frame rates with current settings or current fps with higher quality graphics. 

My questions would be.

- Has multi-threading been extended to other areas beyond Bodenplatte map and would there be positive performance impact in other maps?

- Will this multi-thread approach be used for all upcoming maps? Thinking of FC Arras in particular. Certainly hope so.

x3 drawing distance for buildings !!

Now we are getting there 😎👉👉

Going to get my He111 ready to go.

By the way can we have the B25 turret installed on the He111 to compensate the higher speed of the new allied fighters? ??

5 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Gielow said:

Going to get my He111 ready to go.

A sky full of Mustangs, Tempests, Lightnings, Spitfires and Thunderbolts....and you want to be in an HE111. You're mad.....mad I tell you!

34 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

A sky full of Mustangs, Tempests, Lightnings, Spitfires and Thunderbolts....and you want to be in an HE111. You're mad.....mad I tell you!

Because there is no challenge flying  109s and 190s against those on 1v1 ratio :P

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

@ Jason & Sneaksie

Hey, I am a scale modeller. Rivet counting is part of that hobby. 😜

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

My questions would be.

- Has multi-threading been extended to other areas beyond Bodenplatte map and would there be positive performance impact in other maps?

- Will this multi-thread approach be used for all upcoming maps? Thinking of FC Arras in particular. Certainly hope so.

If i understand it right it will be an option that will affect all maps (old and new) on the same way because it's an overall feature of the new visibility mechanic.  And they mentioned the other maps directly. So yea Arras should benefit from it. Also the pilot physiology should be affecting the FC planes aswell.

Let's return to the urbanized areas - we're happy to announce that we were able to create a tech that allows displaying buildings three times farther than before. Rendering at such distances because of the enormous amount of buildings visible at the same time required heavy use of multi-threaded tech to prepare the data. We have made this feature optional for simmers that have a weaker PC. For such a map as Rheinland with many cities and towns, it really improves the perspective and the overall feel. Of course, it is useful for other maps too - for instance, it allows bomber pilots to spot their targets significantly sooner.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

It's not starting to support multithreading, it continues. But i don't know if it supports more than 8 thread, as it was design when the quadcore began to be sell.

The engine of Rise of flight (which is the ancestor of IL2) support multithreading, and the engine of IL2 suport it too. You should check, it's easy.

"We have made this feature optional for simmers that have a weaker PC. For such a map as Rheinland with many cities and towns, it really improves the perspective and the overall feel. Of course, it is useful for other maps too - for instance, it allows bomber pilots to spot their targets significantly sooner. "

Sorry if it was discussed before but is it a wise decision to tie a gameplay advantage to PC specs?

• Haha 1

3x drawing distance for buildings? Now i only want more detailed building damage :biggrin: so it won't be 100% fine or 100% destroyed. And we got perfect sim for ground attackers. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, HunDread said:

"We have made this feature optional for simmers that have a weaker PC. For such a map as Rheinland with many cities and towns, it really improves the perspective and the overall feel. Of course, it is useful for other maps too - for instance, it allows bomber pilots to spot their targets significantly sooner. "

Sorry if it was discussed before but is it a wise decision to tie a gameplay advantage to PC specs?

They already do.  Higher res displays give advantages of better spotting and identification but will of course need a higher spec GPU to run.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HunDread said:

Did you play in bomber ? If not try a bomb run between 4000 and 5000m, then go in the bombsight and see when you can see the target,  and you'll understand that its very important, and don't give any advantage. It fixes a problem we have since a very long time.

3 minutes ago, ICDP said:

They already do.  Higher res displays give advantages of better spotting and identification but will of course need a higher spec GPU to run.

You can add track ir versus VR, etc....

There are improvment because we want improvment, but there is a cost, and the PC have to be upgrade.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

What's wrong with the Mustang skin?

RAF units didn't receive the Mustang IV until 1945, which for ADGB units (which they all went to) means black* prop spinner and blue/white/red upper wing surface roundels

*By this point in the war (March_Apr 45) most squadrons disregarded the order for a black spinner and painted it in some signifying colour such as red, blue or green.

MustangRecovery12.jpg

570px-P-51D_3_Sqn_RAAF_at_Cervia_1945.jpg

WC_Xsilver.jpg

E2523E72-F6D1-424C-B2D1-AB7CD86DDF20.jpg

mustangIV-v1.jpg

hethel.jpg

83d422d7cf9d4719510ee7f556cbc617--p--mustang-mustangs.jpg

Mustang_Lokuciewski.jpg

Edited by Talon_
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, HunDread said:

I could finally spot those four storey apartment buildings before they spot me.

Also note the yellow leading edges (this plane has yellow decoration along the usual anti-glare upper cowling too) - this was not featured on most Mustangs.

mustangIV-v1.jpg

images (1).jpeg

Edited by Talon_

1 hour ago, Habu said:

Did you play in bomber ? If not try a bomb run between 4000 and 5000m, then go in the bombsight and see when you can see the target,  and you'll understand that its very important, and don't give any advantage. It fixes a problem we have since a very long time.

You didn't get my point

1 hour ago, ICDP said:

But it's not the decision of Il-2 developers

8 minutes ago, sevenless said:

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

I prefer photographic evidence to drawings. Also Y2 T has a red/yellow nose consistent with my above post. It's from 442 Sqn, Apr 1945.

No Mustang IV/IVA in the ETO until after the January 3rd livery change orders:

Screenshot_20190921-111831.png

Edited by Talon_

18 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I prefer photographic evidence to drawings. Also Y2 T has a red/yellow nose consistent with my above post. It's from 442 Sqn, Apr 1945.

I go by this publication, which is pretty solid.

Listemann, Phil H.. The North American Mustang Mk. IV in Western Europe: Volume 10 (SQUADRONS!) . Philedition.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Edited by sevenless

7 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I go by this publication, which is pretty solid.

Listemann, Phil H.. The North American Mustang Mk. IV in Western Europe: Volume 10 (SQUADRONS!) . Philedition.

22.jpg

Does it contain any photos of the upper wing roundels as this is the main issue.

14 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Does it contain any photos of the upper wing roundels as this is the main issue.

Yep on three pics. You can see them here:

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sevenless said:

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Looks like PD (303 Sqn) also confirmed to have white rings in their roundels.

16.jpg

Edited by Talon_

15 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Looks like PD (303 Sqn) also confirmed to have white rings in their roundels.

I´m pretty sure every new plane in 1945 had them.

http://woodair.net/Aviation/roundels/RAF_Roundels.htm

Quote: " January 1945 to June 1947: On all 2 TAF aircraft Type B upper wing roundels were either converted to 55 inches (140 cm) type C1 roundels or over-painted and 36 inches (91 cm) type C1 roundels painted on. Under wing roundels were converted to 36 inches (91 cm) type C1. The proportions of the rings and centre spot could vary depending on the skill of the painters carrying out the conversion. "

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels#cite_note-Colour_Shift-4

Edited by sevenless

Question for the devs. Would you concider tweaking particle effects to be more realistic? Specifically artillery explosions in Stalingrad (big artillery hits look like nukes, way too high) and too fast burning ship animation (in a gif below).

2 hours ago, HunDread said:

Yes in this case it makes perfect sence to do it the way devs are doing it, if its air contacts then its a problem, but with buildings there is no problem that every user can set how he wonts it. Same as now you can select if yu wont 40 or 150km range on landscape textures.

Edited by 77.CountZero

Fantastic update to look forward to! So many new things to check out. Expect I will go to the P51 first....maybe after a quick flyby from the Tempest to hear the engine... 

One question that is worrying me a little - how many variations are there for the in-cockpit photo?

Because if every pilot in the squadron has a photo of the same woman in the cockpit, I can see it causing problems....possibly envision some unexplained 'blue on blue' incidents.....

22 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I´m pretty sure every new plane in 1945 had them.

http://woodair.net/Aviation/roundels/RAF_Roundels.htm

Quote: " January 1945 to June 1947: On all 2 TAF aircraft Type B upper wing roundels were either converted to 55 inches (140 cm) type C1 roundels or over-painted and 36 inches (91 cm) type C1 roundels painted on. Under wing roundels were converted to 36 inches (91 cm) type C1. The proportions of the rings and centre spot could vary depending on the skill of the painters carrying out the conversion. "

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels#cite_note-Colour_Shift-4

This is correct however Mustang IV/IVAs all went to ADGB units back in Britain and subsequently used Type-C upper roundels without the yellow border.

9 minutes ago, kendo said:

One question that is worrying me a little - how many variations are there for the in-cockpit photo?

Because if every pilot in the squadron has a photo of the same woman in the cockpit, I can see it causing problems....possibly envision some unexplained 'blue on blue' incidents.....

You can add your own personal image: your girlfriend, female fighter pilots like Lidija Litvjak,  movie stars like Mae West, your dog, one of the many Kardashians...

It is mentioned in DD #228:

'Personal Images in Cockpits

Another popular request has been the ability to place a personal picture in the cockpit of your plane. We have now added this capability.'

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/488/dev-blog-228/

• Upvote 1