jollyjack

Flying Circus Cockpit view ...

Well, i was not too fond of that cockpit view always on out of 'reality sake' (my foot, it's just a computer game) with BoS etc.

This flying any WW2 plane there, maybe with the exception of a few bombers, and some Russian planes.

Half of the screen taken hostage filed by wings and beautifully dome meters too small to look at anyway during the struggle to stay alive in a Spitfire dogfight.

Now with Flying Circus it's far worse; also the top end of the screen has been taken away too. What a waste !

Playing Flying Circus feels like how a Gynecologist paints his hallway: through the mailbox LoL. Now where's that bugger gone ??:

FC1 SPAD cockpit.jpg

It would be nice if you could choose NOT to have the cockpit always present, but a view with still the targeting cross present for the machine guns etc, like in Cliffs of Dover,

and enjoy the beautifully done landscapes a little more while chasing the bullies ... see picture:

I strongly vote for that option ! Hey fellow BoXers: Start a petition please, and let the cockpit view be select-able too for the reality seekers needing it chasing boogiemen.

instruments cliffs no cockpit ....jpg

Edited by jollyjack
added info
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

I could not think of anything more sad than what you have suggested. Why not just call it Bird Sim and be done with it?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

let the cockpit view be select-able

Not possible in this sim currently, hence it can‘t be an option.

I believe it would be a valuable option. We have the f4 arcade type view. Why not a view like the one proposed? It may not be possible, necessary etc, but I Would use it if it would ever become available. DCS World has something quite Similar with alt f1, not the same, but Similar. Never say never ... 

• Upvote 1

Here's a video of the forthcoming 5.0 Cliffs 'monster update". It shows clearly what i mean .... how nice flying without the mailbox view across that landscape;  with the cockpit view only on for the shoot out with some ground objects .... alas in Cliffs there's no altitude and speed in the overlayed HUD possible as with BoX.

At 3.59 time the cockpit pops in; now i wonder without altitude details one can avoid hitting the ground. When i try this i always end up in some trees. J

8 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

I believe it would be a valuable option. We have the f4 arcade type view. Why not a view like the one proposed? It may not be possible, necessary etc, but I Would use it if it would ever become available. DCS World has something quite Similar with alt f1, not the same, but Similar. Never say never ... 

That F4 view i use quite often, but i hate that auto zooming function, especially on an upwards curve. Is that switch-able?

25 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Here's a video of the forthcoming 5.0 Cliffs 'monster update".

This is not BoX and you can‘t do it in BoX as its hence it will not be an option.

• Upvote 1

I wonder ... the cockpit must be an overlay; various planes with the same landscape background.

You have to move your head around a lot in the SPAD and dip your wings to check blind spots.  After a while it becomes second nature. 

• Upvote 1

Jollyjack you always can move default view more aft and save it , it will help a little. 

I expect TFS 5 to indeed prove great !

Views in FC, GB ...

What I don't understand is that people would have a problem with ADDITIONAL views as an OPTION (in settings even ?).

Could be banned from MP.

You would have to opt in to use it (selectable) etc.

As situational awareness (non-vr, vr) it would be near perfect. 

But OK, it won't happen, that I understand and why.

But more is not always ... less !

Regards,

Stefaan

17 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Well, i was not too fond of that cockpit view always on out of 'reality sake' (my foot, it's just a computer game) with BoS etc.

This flying any WW2 plane there, maybe with the exception of a few bombers, and some Russian planes.

Half of the screen taken hostage filed by wings and beautifully dome meters too small to look at anyway during the struggle to stay alive in a Spitfire dogfight.

Now with Flying Circus it's far worse; also the top end of the screen has been taken away too. What a waste !

Playing Flying Circus feels like how a Gynecologist paints his hallway: through the mailbox LoL. Now where's that bugger gone ??:

FC1 SPAD cockpit.jpg

It would be nice if you could choose NOT to have the cockpit always present, but a view with still the targeting cross present for the machine guns etc, like in Cliffs of Dover,

and enjoy the beautifully done landscapes a little more while chasing the bullies ... see picture:

I strongly vote for that option ! Hey fellow BoXers: Start a petition please, and let the cockpit view be select-able too for the reality seekers needing it chasing boogiemen.

instruments cliffs no cockpit ....jpg

It could be worse. What would you do with  this...

Image result for most cluttered cockpit

8 minutes ago, US103_Talbot said:

Wait, you're not even wanting the plane visible?

You're on your A game today.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, US103_Talbot said:

Wait, you're not even wanting the plane visible?

In many flying games that is available, with many newcomers surprised when it's not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

How nice, i miss a few gauges still ...

Fixed that for ya:

aa.jpg

I remember flying like this when I started IL2 1946 way back.

It's obviously your preferred method, but I was in the cockpit pretty quick and had no desire to go back.

No reason it can't be added of course, at least as an offline option.

Have you put this in the suggestions topic ?

S!

10 hours ago, J2_Jakob said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b4c5f6cf490fc3224b

This.

Also, finding the default head position that works for you is important part of familiarisation with each plane. On your screenshots you sit in the place where you can't see anything.

The ability to check six without flying zigzag more than compensates necessity of banking to check two.

55 minutes ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Also, finding the default head position that works for you is important part of familiarisation with each plane. On your screenshots you sit in the place where you can't see anything.

The ability to check six without flying zigzag more than compensates necessity of banking to check two.

Ironically, my default head position is ... well... pretty default in all planes. (DFW in RoF was a notable exception). I find it amusing to lean into the gunsights even with IR cap + opentrack.
Leaning over the sides to look below (wish we could lean a bit more over the edge), and flying zig-zag anyway just to check the blind spots.

There's sixteen tons of more important stuff that needs to be done. Sure, when we have all the RoF planes ported and FC Career done, why not, add this unrealistic feature (and make sure it can't be used to cheat in full-switch environment). But since we have all this fancy 4K models around, it's somewhat "🤨" to make it invisible.

56 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

Get a VR headset and report back 😁

Can't afford to invest into VR (and decent VR-capable machine) at the moment, but I'm sure it will come sooner or later. Checking six is clearly much harder, but overall experience much more immersive. Looking forward to it... 😉

I'm absolutely for giving the player more viewing options including a no cockpit view.  

I think it would increase sales, too. 

And here's the kicker.... if you don't like it... don't use it. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jodet said:

And here's the kicker.... if you don't like it... don't use it. 

As with many things in life ...

Btw, I don't have anything against a no-cockpit view. Might come in handy if you want to create your own simpit! 😀

On 9/19/2019 at 1:19 AM, -332FG-Garven said:

You have to move your head around a lot in the SPAD and dip your wings to check blind spots.  After a while it becomes second nature. 

Same with most planes as well.  If I wanted to fly with a view like Superman, I'd find another game.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, Cynic_Al said:

In many flying games that is available, with many newcomers surprised when it's not.

If that's the case, there needs to be a couple servers, one for the most realism the game can produce, and the other for...well, you know.