Sign in to follow this  
InProgress

Men of War Cold War

It was suppose to be the first MoW after many years that i wanted to buy. Assault Squad was bad (i got first one) in day one. But they did not have real SP so it was a big disappointment to me. Did not bother with AS2 and anything they later did. It was getting boring anyway, no changes, everything was the same with slight improvments since Soldiers and Faces of War from 2004 and 2006. But you could at least have fun with  well made campaign missions. After Assault Squad it was just rolling through entire map while capturing flags and calling  unlimited waves of new units.

Now i am waiting for Gates of Hell (and considering getting Battle of Empires : 1914-1918 since i really miss WW1 games :P ) since it really looks like they care and it can be something new. They add a lot of realism stuff like explosions that are stronger than firecrackers, they work on new animations instead of using something from 2004 in every game...  and real campaign is back.

Kind of wanted to try cold war since it was something new, at least in the idea. Early cold war with mix of ww2 and modern stuff, dynamic campaign sounded promising.

And then, out of nowhere... game got 15% positive reviews. That makes is like 3rd worst rated steam game. That game is a mess... I have no idea how 1C even allowed to publish it. Vehicles have health bars, AI is more stupid that before, helicopters are a joke... they can't see anything around them. Their range is like 10m, in 11m they don't see huge mi8 right in front of them. You can land in open field  to unload infantry and then enemy shows up right next to you and kills everyone  because spotting from the air is non existing. Historical errors, bad performance, no content.. just usa and  soviets (germany? poland? It's cold war and these 2 are right next to each other) only 5 maps, not much units. That epic dynamic campaign is just 5 maps you fight bots on just like in MP. It's nothing but capture few flags and get 1000 points to win. They even seem to be using lot's of stuff from Assault Squad, i think i even heard stuka siren, jet has P51 sound  etc.

Now 1C published Devil's Hunt that also got really low reviews of onlly 30%. What is going on 1C? :( is there any quality control? Maybe it's time for changes, especially in MoW series that sits in the same place for like 15 years.

1C was publishing/making really cool games back in a day, even tho it was not some AAA stuff, it had really cool ideas and feeling.

Just a little rant :P but i guess i am a little disapointed that company that had something different and interesting than mainstream games, now does not do well. Now i am a bit afraid about King's Bounty 2 quality.

I'm an MoW fan from way back, and have put far more SP hours than I care to admit into the series. I was looking at Cold War on Steam the other night and was amazed by how bad the reviews are.  I guess that is what you get for just reskinning your maps and vehicles and doing nothing in the last ten years to advance the gameplay.  I really hope Gates of Hell provides a fresher take on the series.

On 9/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, Feathered_IV said:

I was looking at Cold War on Steam the other night and was amazed by how bad the reviews are.  I guess that is what you get for just reskinning your maps and vehicles and doing nothing in the last ten years to advance the gameplay.

I feel like this is how it works now. Same happend to Call of Duty, they were making copy pasted games until people have had enough. Now there seem to be coming something new. 64 players, vehicles, graphic update etc. Maybe the Cold War will be a warning that fans are done with it. If they won't make something new next, it will be a fail. People are sick of the same reskinned game. Lets see what gates of hell will bring. Really hope it will be good.