Melonfish

27" or 32" monitor?

Morning everyone,

The wife has offered to get me a new monitor for my *cough* 'th birthday, now I've settled on a 1080 144hz monitor, anything more will likely melt my pc tbh, i need to keep my frames up and it's an older rig.

however I'm torn between 27" or 32" and whether or not to get flat or curved.

I'd like if possible to hear from people who have these larger monitors and whether it's a benefit or a chore? i mean 32" is pretty large, and is curved a bonus or a gimick thing?

thanks

Pete

2 hours ago, Melonfish said:

Morning everyone,

The wife has offered to get me a new monitor for my *cough* 'th birthday, now I've settled on a 1080 144hz monitor, anything more will likely melt my pc tbh, i need to keep my frames up and it's an older rig.

however I'm torn between 27" or 32" and whether or not to get flat or curved.

I'd like if possible to hear from people who have these larger monitors and whether it's a benefit or a chore? i mean 32" is pretty large, and is curved a bonus or a gimick thing?

thanks

Pete

Hi,

I have a 32" Monitor for 3 years now, well actually ist is a Sony Bravia Full HD TV (https://www.amazon.de/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-32W706-Fernseher-Triple/dp/B00I3WQPQK). I also have my X-BOX One plugged into it and my Mac-Mini. It is standing in my Homeoffice-Room on my working desk. Working distance eye to screen is about 90cm. I am actually thinking about replacing it with a 40-42" 4K TV end of the year.

You will get used to having a big screen very fast and honestly I wouldn´t touch anything smaller than 32" with a ten pole stick. Neither for gaming nor for PC/Mac work.

I know that many folks are sensitive for FPS falling below 120Hz. Fortunately for me, that is not the case. I don´t care if I have 80 or 60 FPS, but that is only me.

Edited by sevenless
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I don´t care if I have 80 or 60 FPS, but that is only me.

In VR 60 fps is fine and dandy. I dont think people would notice difference between 120 fps and 90 fps except on their fps counter

I have a 75Hz 29" ultrawide monitor (LG 29UM69-G) and when possible (far away from nowadays) I will replace it with a 240Hz Dell monitor (AW2518HF) or something like this.

I tryed a 4k 49" Samsung TV and, obviously, it's very big and image so good but it isn't for me. I'm "sensitive" for frequency and I'm using FreeSync at 75Hz-73FPS in Adrenalin software.

It's hard to choose and I'm not experienced with curved monitor.

Edited by SCG_ErwinP

I have used 37" 40" and now LG 49" 4k

Non of this is relevant to your choices, but in my experience I would recommend the 32" as was said you will get used to the size very quickly 

As with all hardware stretch the budget as far as you can go and then add a bit.. It will more often than not save you money in the long run

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Thanks 1

Well I reckon i'll be giving 32" a go then, thanks guys!

Size matters 😁

Curved is rather a gimmick unless the screen is very large and the extra money might not be worth spending. I would get a larger flat monitor rather than a smaller curved one. 

I'm currently using a 43" 4K LG monitor but only for Tank Crew (Planes are all in VR for me)

I really like the big form factor for immersion alone. 

Were I you, I'd definitely get the 32"

I'm wondering about this too.   I saw a 32" curved monitor at Costco the other day for $199.   

On 9/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, SharpeXB said:

Curved is rather a gimmick unless the screen is very large

I sit pretty close to my 34" curved monitor, and the curve is perfect to keep the outer edges and the center of the screen equidistant. Really adds to immersion.

I recommend curved, and at least 32"

Edited by jaygee485

43 minutes ago, jaygee485 said:

I sit pretty close to my 32" curved monitor, and the curve is perfect to keep the outer edges and the center of the screen equidistant. Really adds to immersion.

I recommend curved, and at least 32"

I'm thinking of going that route with a 1440p curved, but how is it for watching movies, if maybe you're sitting a little father back?

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

how is it for watching movies, if maybe you're sitting a little father back?

I do sit slightly further back for a movie, but still close enough for 'big screen' effect, so the curve is still good.

If watching with a group of others, and sitting back even further, the curve may be less advantageous, but I don't think it would be an issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1