Sign in to follow this  
Jorge_S

Getting beaten by AI I-16

This game can be frustrating...

I am playing a quick 1-vs-1 mission, BF-109F2 against a veteran AI I-16, same altitude, no advantages, and I am getting soundly defeated by Veteran AI

turning fight is a no-no because I-16 will out turn me, but then I was surprised to see I-16 can also climb faster

that leaves only speed, F2 is faster, but bleeds speed quickly, I don't want to run away or do head shot passes, and  I am not that good at spotting (playing without markers) so I can't go too far away from him as then I will lose him

any advice?

Edited by Jorge_S

Well first thing to do is when you make your attack passes on him, change your stabilizer to around -40% or -45%.

But it sounds like you're having a hard time getting to that point even.  Instead of using your best climb speed, you have the option of doing a fast climb.  So sacrifice some climb to increase speed and gain separation that way.  The I-16 cannot follow.  Once you have enough horizontal separation, you can go into a steeper climb while he's still trying to keep up.

thanks, I will try that

from time to time I had been able to do attack passes or start with altitude advantage, but it is really hard to hit (omniscient) AI, you can't surprise it, and usually he would head shot pass, then start turning

in a F4 I would try to catch him by following in theturn, for as long as I am fast then zoom out and climb, but F2 bleeds speed rather quickly

The game's AI is much kinder to a fighter that turns well, and the I-16 probably has the best turning ability in the game. Against a human player, the instability and nasty snap-stall will often let you kill a player-flown I-16 but the AI flies the plane perfectly coordinated and never really stalls or spins. The plane also has some of the best visibility in the game so the ability to sneak up on the AI is even more difficult. It IS possible to sneak up on AI but only if you never enter a piece of sky that the AI can possibly see, basically limiting it to a narrow band of low six o'clock approach on most planes.

You are basically always going to be making high-angle snap shots on the I-16 if you don't surprise it, or engaging head-on. Engaging head-on with Veteran AI is a no-no, their gunnery in a low-deflection situation is going to be almost perfect, better than a lot of human players. As long as you keep your speed up and maintain separation you are invincible since the I-16 can never catch you. But sooner or later you have to get close enough to shoot, and because of the turn rate and turn radius of the I-16 it can often force a head-on attack.

And if you are ever in a bigger combat environment, the longer you spend trying to kill an I-16, the more exposed you are to any enemies that show up later. This is what often saves me when flying an I-16 - 109s stick around way too long trying to kill me, and faster and higher friends come along to assist after a while. 

So I would say, in a 1 vs. 1 situation, on the first pass trade altitude for a bit of airspeed and keep the I-16 in sight. Get to your fastest level speed then extend away in a shallow climb to make the most of your speed advantage and minimize the I-16s ability to keep up with you in climb, turning very slightly to keep the I-16 in view if possible. Drag the fight to higher altitudes where you have a greater advantage, keep your speed up, and make slashing attacks whenever possible. Don't follow it in a turn and don't bleed energy to get a marginal shot, just blast through and extend. If you find yourself in a head-on, either break away or start firing at very long range to try and disable or kill the enemy fighter - if the I-16 has only the 7.62mm guns you will have an armament advantage, but your engine is still very vulnerable even to light MGs. Its harder than it would appear given the performance advantages the 109 has. 

Try starting with an altitude advantage and getting consistent kills before going level. Online I imagine you would be starting any engagement  higher and faster 

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation

I tried again, but the opposite, I-16 against Veteran AI BF109F2,

I was able to shoot him 5 times in a row without too much effort

when I play career mode (in a F2), I think I will be flying at least 1,000 meters higher than my squadron

Edited by Jorge_S

Specifically the I-16 can be a handful to handle for a newcomer due to its particular combination of traits. It is not just the sustained turn rate, more than that it is the acceleration. Even though the top speed of the I-16 is low (it is a draggy design) its acceleration is phenomenal. It has one of the best power-to-weight ratios in the entire sim (essentially it is a very powerful engine in a very light airframe) This means that in a standard maneuvering dogfight that most inexperienced pilots find themselves in, the I-16 will almost always have the advantage, because neither fighter is flying anywhere near top speed and both are constantly burning energy, energy that the I-16 can win back faster than the 109. In that situation it really doesn't matter, that the 109 on paper is faster and climbs better than the I-16, because you are never in an energy state to reach those performance numbers.

So to defeat the I-16 you need to play to your strengths:

Stay fast

Stay on top of the fight

Turn as little as possible

Always attack from an advantage - wait for him to try and catch up to you, let him burn his energy and then pounce on him, when he is at his weakest.

Build that advantage from the start of the fight, climb above him at once - don't wait until you've failed your first attempt at shooting him down. If you do a defensive climb from a weak position, he will catch you.

Hope that helps a bit.