Sokol1

Midway (movie 2019)

Don' find the topic about this movie trailer (already posted) - to much talk about "Midway" there. :)

But another just to point that this sequence - that looks "Hollywood", of the guy in a parked (on Enterprise) SDB  shooting down a G3M Nell,  is based on real events, during USS Enterprise attack against Marshall Islands in 1, February 1942.

787px-SBD_with_severed_tail_on_USS_Enter

https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/04/24/toughness-aviation-machinist-mate-first-class-amm1c-bruno-peter-gaido/

https://markloveshistory.com/2017/06/05/bruno-peter-gaido-and-the-battle-of-midway/

Edited by Sokol1

The CGI is so artificial and over the top.

As if I am watching a War Thunder trailer.

• Upvote 2

Already heard reviews on fb. 

Not worth the money they say. Awful movie they say. And I answered. Hey it contain Dauntless I am going to watch  it. Their response: buy the plane you will get more for your money

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

The CGI is so artificial and over the top.

As if I am watching a War Thunder trailer.

Well, War thunder trailers are popular: 9,693,454 views 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

Already heard reviews on fb. 

Not worth the money they say. Awful movie they say. And I answered. Hey it contain Dauntless I am going to watch  it. Their response: buy the plane you will get more for your money

How can they review a movie that 'll be released two months from now? Didn't find any reviews on google. 

I like the cast and the action in the trailer. If dialogue and characters  aren't written as bad as in red tails it has the potential to be an enjoyable experience.

Definitely not gonna be an accurate movie but it's mostly for entertainment so what do you really expect. I enjoyed Redtails so I'll probably enjoy this movie as well.

Wonder how it will compare to the 1976 Midway, I enjoyed that as well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Probably this movie: Dauntless: The Battle of Midway (2019)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8685520/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Outside of "Facebook groups" this - low budget movie, "Dauntless" is reasonably well regarded, see in IMDB the review of those who understand that the movie is more about Ensign Thomas Wesley Ramsay ordeal than Midway battle, a background.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8685520/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Ramsay was "rescued by a PBY piloted by a school classmate from his home town".

Edited by Sokol1

I have to say I dont care if it low budget. A movie containing a Dauntless, Devastator, Avenger, Kate, Val or any kind of vintage sea plane have something worth while watching and any I havent seen have fallen under my radar and will be relentlessly hunted down and shown

You know, when you see all those actors never putting on their goggles, never closing their chinband of their hoods. As if you had those just for fashion puropses. But a highly paid actor having co cover up his face and eyes, nah. You could have gootten a cheap actor then. Sad to see how basic realities just don't work in movies. This apart from rivet counting issues.

8 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Like 1942 SDB-3 using 1943 SBD-5 gunsight? 😀

Yeah, or pulling out of their dives at sea level. For Pete's sake!

5 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Hollywood thinks that to tell the truth convincingly you have to tell lies.  

I don't think it's that, really. They don't feel that they are lying, but instead, enhancing the truth. They don't have enough respect for the intelligence of their audience to believe that they can simply tell the story the way it happened. They must add to it to keep our interest. And in some respects, it's probably true. It seems that a film must have a lot of action and explosions to attract a large audience. 

Occasionally, they get it right. A few nights ago I saw a movie called, "Twelve Years a Slave." A true story. No real "action" to speak of. No explosions. No love triangles. But it was an outstanding film! They can certainly do it when they want to.

But of course, it's also who gets the project. Spielberg might have done this right. A gritty, Private Ryan, take on it would have been cool. But Emmirich got it. Wouldn't have been my choice. But maybe that's why I'm not a muli-millionaire movie producer!

Oh well, we'll see. But, I'm hoping for the best, and expecting the worst.

14 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Yeah, or pulling out of their dives at sea level. For Pete's sake!

For Midway thats probably overdoing it.  But in some occasions they dropped the   Bombs pretty low and got pretty close

hell the news movies have much better qulaity than the current ones, cgi ruined hollywood

On 9/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Is Woody Harrelson wearing a hairpiece?

The hairpiece is actually renowned character actor Woody Hairelson. Woody Harrelson is just clever CGI and makeup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

The hairpiece is actually renowned character actor Woody Hairelson.

Ah so it is!  I think I’ve seen him in A Merkin Beauty.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LuseKofte said:

For Midway thats probably overdoing it.  But in some occasions they dropped the   Bombs pretty low and got pretty close

Navy dive bomber practice was to drop the ordnance in a near verticle dive from an altitude of 2 to 3 thousand feet. You could get closer using shallow dives and, of course, even closer using the Army method of coming in at mast height level and skipping the bomb in.

But in a verticle dive, you can't go puling back the stick a few feet from the target. Gravity doesn't work that way. Of course, CGI airplanes don't have to contend with gravity, so it's not an issue here.

I agree about the lack of physics shown here. And about how they where trained. 

JU 87 pilots could set their drop altitude down to 500 meters and auto recover would still be able to recover but 700 meters was advisable when diving from 2500 meters or above

I read about some of the pilot diving in on those carriers at Midway on Flypast

if I remember correctly he got , and I quote : really low before he dropped and I think he said about 1700 feet and he leveled out in front of the ship where he figured he had less AA  pointed at him ,very low and again he figured he was 600 feet over water. 

I guess altitude is relative, if you dive down , 600 feet will be “very low” recovery altitude but not so much when flying low level

Edited by LuseKofte

The problem is that "realistic" often doesn't really work with story telling. The audience has no clue about any of what's shown. If you don't put the aircraft and the bomber right next to each other, things become confusing. Hence the baddies alwas use black fletching for their arrows (even though nobody ever used such) but how could you tell bad archers from good archers. Peasants, bystanders etc are always clothed in dull colors, else it is hard to find the hero on the big screen. No knight and no fighter pilot ever wears googles or a vizor, else you can't see his face or hear his voice, etc. It's not ill intent. It makes the movie easy to watch.

if people only knew movies are real obtained with a chronovisor form parallel universes

they can even pick the main role actor depending the universe they pick

its hollywood that is cgi

Sure, there's a lot of CGI.   But it's the battle of Midway - I'll see this in the theater. 

The planes can't be near as fake as 'Flyboys', that WW1 movie where the biplanes flew around like F-16's.  

• Confused 1

Sadly, it is our worst fears realized. Rotten Tomatoes is panning it at 39%. At least even some of the negative reviews say the aviation sequences are well done, anyway. Well, you know I’ll still see it as a matinee ;)

2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Sadly, it is our worst fears realized. Rotten Tomatoes is panning it at 39%. At least even some of the negative reviews say the aviation sequences are well done, anyway. Well, you know I’ll still see it as a matinee ;)

Same here, of course a matinee on a rainy afternoon:popcorm:.

I started watching Dauntless the other day.  I couldn't finish it though.  It really is a horrible piece of film.  

Hope to go see it soon, looks entertaining. If it's anything like Flyboys, Redtails, or Pearl Harbor I'll enjoy it. I'm not expecting it to be some historical masterpiece but I think it will be fun to watch.

The more accuracy/historically minded folks will have their desires met when Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks release their picture of the Mighty Eighth. Unfortunately I've rad it will be an Apple TV exclusive.

Edited by Legioneod

I will likely see it just because there's hardly a movie released anymore that I can go watch...I won't expect much.

I have higher hopes for Ford vs Ferrari.

So many missed opportunities though. Dynamic compelling stories buried under fluff, fake stories and godawful cliches. Any of the three mentioned stories could have been excellent with minor edits and rewrites. The acting was ok. The backstories were ok. The scripts and dialogue were terrible.

10 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

So many missed opportunities though. Dynamic compelling stories buried under fluff, fake stories and godawful cliches. Any of the three mentioned stories could have been excellent with minor edits and rewrites. The acting was ok. The backstories were ok. The scripts and dialogue were terrible.

Yeah, don't doubt it...too bad.

I really want a "Band of Brothers" but dealing with a Mustang squadron.