69thSpiritus_Mortem

Release Notes for Blitz 4.56

Release Notes
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs Of Dover Blitz 4.56

While creating the upcoming TF 5.0 Tobruk of the CLIFFS OF DOVER series, we also improve many things that also benefit CLIFFS OF DOVER BLITZ, so we're very happy to release this new patch 4.56 with the following improvements:

• Revised AI behaviour

◦ We've generally improved the AI's behaviour in many situations.

◦ The default skill settings are now more granular and the the particular skills (Basic Flying, Advanced Flying, Awareness, Aerial Gunnery, Tactics, Vision, Bravery) now better match the proficiency levels (Rookie, Average, Vetaren, Ace). All missions delivered with CloD were updated with the new default skill levels.

◦ A bug in the airfield tower communications (tower's "clear to land" order) has been fixed and AI aircraft now correctly land at airfields when landing waypoint is specified by mission builder.
These are the first steps in a series of AI improvements we hope to make for CLIFFS OF DOVER BLITZ as well as our upcoming TF 5.0 Tobruk release.

• Rearm and Refuel: Mission builders can now allow rearm and refuel functionality in their missions.

◦ Refuel is in percent. The mission builder can implement whatever he needs.

◦ Rearm is available as "Rearm all", meaning guns and bombs, or as "Rearm only guns".
All this is only available if the mission builder implements it. The game checks no requirements and the rearm and refuel is immediate. The mission builder can impose requirements ("landed at airfield, parked, magnetos off, fuel cocks closed, no damages") and show the messages reminding the pilot about it. He also can implement waiting times (e.g. longer time for bigger planes) and messages about it. Also, a truck driving up to the plane could be coded by the mission builder.
Example mission scripts are available here:

◦ Rearm Refuel Example Very Basic SinglePlayer:
https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=208

◦ Rearm/Refuel Example with Requirements and Delay for Singleplayer
https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=209

◦ Rearm/Refuel Example with Requirements and Delay for Multiplayer
https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=210

• The Lorenz blind landing system has been implemented. The Transmitter and cockpit instruments have been fixed.

• Longer range non-directional radio beacons and long range beacons are now functional.

• Transition between different land textures has been improved.

• OnBuildingDestroyed() is now correctly called in multiplayer when a building is destroyed.

• A static Dictionary<string, object> has been added to the AMission object so mission builders can modularize code.

• The propellor pitch control animation for He-111 has been fixed.

• The propellor pitch control animation for He-111 and Ju-88 is now correct (it was reversed).

• New Sounds and Sound Fixes:
◦ Fixed issue rendering 75% of land vehicle sounds (armored car, trucks, etc..) being inaudible.
◦ Fixed distance dropoff for above land vehicles.
◦ Fixed dynamic blasts (added to explosions and cannons).
◦ Revised Overstress SFX (Restricted to Spitfires and BF109s only for testing).
◦ Revised aircraft buffeting SFX (Restricted to Spitfires and BF109s only for testing).
◦ Added new supercharger whistle.
◦ Added dynamic panning to aircraft exterior view.
◦ Implemented basic 3D positional audio (It should now be easier to locate a sound source.)
◦ Revised Fiat A-74
◦ Revised Fiat A-80
◦ Revised DB601 series
◦ Revised Jumo211 series
◦ Revised Merlin Series.
◦ Added Merlin XII Coffman Starter.
◦ Fixed Merlin sounding idle if throttle was moved under 20%-30%
◦ Revised MG 17
◦ Revised Hispano
◦ Revised Browning .303s
◦ Native bird calls
◦ New engine sounds for the Tiger Moth
◦ Relevant Bugtracker entries:
▪ #850 (Resolved): Fiat G.50 engine sound cut out at high rpm when listening from outside
▪ #1099 (Resolved): Bad engine sound above idle in Blitz on He 111 and Ju 88 Aircraft
▪ #952 (Resolved): Merlin engine sounds louder at low revs than at high power
▪ #736 (Resolved): Bf 109: /B variants sound bug
▪ #1062 (Resolved): Beaufighter engine sounds periodic bass pulsing
▪ #547 (Resolved): Fighter 303 sounds cut out

---------------

Edit:

For Mission Builders who are interested in implementing Re-arm and Refuel in their missions, please see this link for a sample explanation:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31327

------

Please note:

We recommend players delete their 'cache' file in 'Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover/ after updating and prior to starting the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 5

Any word on what the mystery word "revised" stands for? Or is it something that we have to find out for ourselves?

After the patch in quick missions bombers start having epileptic seizures. They still fly in formation but they wave around like crazy. It looks really weird when they are under attack and entire group starts shaking like this. Is that some bug?

3 hours ago, InProgress said:

After the patch in quick missions bombers start having epileptic seizures. They still fly in formation but they wave around like crazy. It looks really weird when they are under attack and entire group starts shaking like this. Is that some bug?

What Quick Mission specifically? I test "Bomber Intercept - London" (Spit x He 111) and bombrs fly OK, trying keep formation under attack, eventually one or other may became stray.

9 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

What Quick Mission specifically? I test "Bomber Intercept - London" (Spit x He 111) and bombrs fly OK, trying keep formation under attack, eventually one or other may became stray.

It was Air Battle - Calais with 109&110 vs spitfire and blenheims. They shake a lot, especially visible at the end of the video. I was using keyboard so don't judge crappy flying :P

Edited by InProgress

13 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

I was actually asking, whether it's the performance, sounds, or anything else that was revised.

Why would you sass me like this? I was hoping that as somebody running the project you'd be helpful towards customers asking legitimate questions.

3 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

I was actually asking, whether it's the performance, sounds, or anything else that was revised.

Why would you sass me like this? I was hoping that as somebody running the project you'd be helpful towards customers asking legitimate questions.

They are revised sounds Onebad. In the release notes those appear under the sound fixes/improvements. 

The other time revised is used is when talking about the AI. The info below the first statement about the revised AI behavior has the details. I should have been more clear with the outline dots. Filled in ones are like titles, the empty ones have more detail on the topic.  Hope you enjoy the changes. 

~S

6 hours ago, InProgress said:

It was Air Battle - Calais with 109&110 vs spitfire and blenheims. They shake a lot, especially visible at the end of the video. I was using keyboard so don't judge crappy flying :P

Unfortunately is how Blenheim AI is programmed, this "fish tail" and "conga-conga" flapping wings exist since release, but are less exaggerated.

With AI revision became more evident, probable because overall AI skill increase.

I think that flight and maneuvers skill affect this, in this mission Blenheim skill is "Average" , I tuned this down what is possible for Blenheim(bomber) "flight" and "maneuvers". You can test the mission attached?

Just drop in ...Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\mission\quick

Appear in Quick menu as "Aerial Battle - Calais REDUX"

BTW - I leave default player plane as Bf 110.

Curious is that if replacing one group of Blenheim by Do-17 or Ju-87, their  "fish tail" is way less noticeable than Blenheim's.

If replace with Walrus, things became very ridiculous. 

But Wellington and Sunderland behave like Do-17, with little "fish tail".

Arerial Battle - Calais REDUX.zip

Bomber pilots did not remain completely static when under attack.

Even pilots of large bombers like the B-17 would use small maneuvers within their formations to make it difficult for attacking fighters to hit.

8 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

If you want to ask specific questions, feel free.

Your comment was not specific to anything and was clearly sarcastically intended and not a serious inquiry.

All of the changes were listed in the release notes.

13 hours ago, InProgress said:

This is what I also do when flying bombers under fire, making small movements but keep in formation. 

5 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Unfortunately is how Blenheim AI is programmed, this "fish tail" and "conga-conga" flapping wings exist since release, but are less exaggerated.

With AI revision became more evident, probable because overall AI skill increase.

I think that flight and maneuvers skill affect this, in this mission Blenheim skill is "Average" , I tuned this down what is possible for Blenheim(bomber) "flight" and "maneuvers". You can test the mission attached?

Just drop in ...Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\mission\quick

Appear in Quick menu as "Aerial Battle - Calais REDUX"

BTW - I leave default player plane as Bf 110.

Curious is that if replacing one group of Blenheim by Do-17 or Ju-87, their  "fish tail" is way less noticeable than Blenheim's.

If replace with Walrus, things became very ridiculous. 

But Wellington and Sunderland behave like Do-17, with little "fish tail".

Arerial Battle - Calais REDUX.zip 98.89 kB · 1 download

There are different classes of aircraft in the game, and they react differently when in combat.

Classes are:

Fighters, Bombers, DiveBombers, Scout, Amphibious Aircraft (last is similar to Scout)

As we mentioned in the Update notes, the changes in 4.56 are not the final changes to AI behaviour.  We expect to make further changes in the routines, etc.

But we believe the current set of changes see improvements, especially in Fighter vs Fighter combat and we wanted to get them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Bussard said:

This is what I also do when flying bombers under fire, making small movements but keep in formation. 

These are not small movements, they throw that stick left and right. In last part of the video they are not even under attack, no one is behind them. Yet they move even more than under attack.

I honestly can't believe it would be a realistic strategy when you have gunners in your plane. How are they suppose to aim if you jump up and down, left and right? These "small" movements don't do anything really. You will get hits anyway and your gunners won't be able to get any shots. I have never seen bombers do it on any guncam video. They just keep formation and let gunners do the job. They may use rudder to turn slightly but let's be honest. On thay video they act like crazy, it looks like they pull stick 100% in every direction and change it every second. 

12 hours ago, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

OneBad,

Have you therefore "revised" your thinking regarding purchasing TF5.0 when you get answers like that?

Regards

55 minutes ago, InProgress said:

I honestly can't believe it would be a realistic strategy when you have gunners in your plane. How are they suppose to aim if you jump up and down, left and right? 

Exactly, play as gunner in that Blenheim under AI control and will see how they difficult your aim with that ... "dolphin swim". :)

Worse is the ailerons flapping, don't see plausible for a bomber do fast movements left-right like Blenheim AI do.

To be fair all CloD bombers do up and down movements when player enter in fire range, but in a more natural way than Blenheim.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:04 AM, 4./JG26_Onebad said:

Any word on what the mystery word "revised" stands for? Or is it something that we have to find out for ourselves?

◦ We've generally improved the AI's behaviour in many situations.

◦ The default skill settings are now more granular and the the particular skills (Basic Flying, Advanced Flying, Awareness, Aerial Gunnery, Tactics, Vision, Bravery) now better match the proficiency levels (Rookie, Average, Vetaren, Ace). All missions delivered with CloD were updated with the new default skill levels.

◦ A bug in the airfield tower communications (tower's "clear to land" order) has been fixed and AI aircraft now correctly land at airfields when landing waypoint is specified by mission builder.
These are the first steps in a series of AI improvements we hope to make for CLIFFS OF DOVER BLITZ as well as our upcoming TF 5.0 Tobruk release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haza said:

OneBad,

Have you therefore "revised" your thinking regarding purchasing TF5.0 when you get answers like that?

Regards

Come on now...TF is never going be known for "customer service" (a problem in the video game industry, but more so with sim devs it seems), but "Any word on what the mystery word "revised" stands for? Or is it something that we have to find out for ourselves?" is not the legitimate question of some poor customer/fan trying to find his way.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Haza said:

OneBad,

Regards

I haven't, I'm still going to buy it. I hope that Buzzsaw considers leaving forum communication to his PR guys which are doing a much greater job than he is though.

• Confused 2

I note in the latest update that the long time bug is still present that, when a group of aircraft are in a banked turn, the lead aircraft is never at the same angle as the rest of the group, was this ever identified to be fixed, or is it only noticeable by me? Its something that's always annoyed me and something I've always hoped would be fixed in the ensuing updates. In the two shots  enclosed the lead aircraft is the second from left and in either turn it is at odds with the rest of the group:

20190918125447_1.thumb.jpg.b26d629136cf1cfc8d3d41eee9dd7f71.jpg20190918125702_1.thumb.jpg.5d4a85817dac2ae98c939344e91fc913.jpg

Edited by Zappatime

On 9/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

• The Lorenz blind landing system has been implemented. The Transmitter and cockpit instruments have been fixed.

• Longer range non-directional radio beacons and long range beacons are now functional

Great!

Some quick feedback:

- One of the things I liked about Cliffs of Dover was the impression that small caliber bullets could damage components of aircraft (even penetrating some way into the airframe). With the new revision to guns this is no longer noticeable. Perhaps it is because I can take 4-5 bombers using a cannon armed Bf-109E4 with the same easy I can shoot down 1-2 using the machine guns of a Hurricane.

- The AI improvements are welcome, but I'm still seeing bombers regularly do barrel rolls as a basic defensive maneuver... so it might be worth looking at that specific case.

As an additional note - it'd be great if we could select what texture/lighting pack we use - as some of us preferred the less saturated colours of the original (may have to do with differences in colour perception/colour blindness).

Anyway, this is looking to be truly fantastic!

23 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Some quick feedback:

- One of the things I liked about Cliffs of Dover was the impression that small caliber bullets could damage components of aircraft (even penetrating some way into the airframe). With the new revision to guns this is no longer noticeable. Perhaps it is because I can take 4-5 bombers using a cannon armed Bf-109E4 with the same easy I can shoot down 1-2 using the machine guns of a Hurricane.

- The AI improvements are welcome, but I'm still seeing bombers regularly do barrel rolls as a basic defensive maneuver... so it might be worth looking at that specific case.

As an additional note - it'd be great if we could select what texture/lighting pack we use - as some of us preferred the less saturated colours of the original (may have to do with differences in colour perception/colour blindness).

Anyway, this is looking to be truly fantastic!

There have been no changes to the weapons or damage models for 4.56.

Indeed I've been playing around and damage to gaskets and other delicate engine parts are still a thing when hit by machinegun fire. Control rods too. To me it does not feel like anything has changed in that area. 

18 hours ago, Avimimus said:

One of the things I liked about Cliffs of Dover was the impression that small caliber bullets could damage components of aircraft (even penetrating some way into the airframe). With the new revision to guns this is no longer noticeable. Perhaps it is because I can take 4-5 bombers using a cannon armed Bf-109E4 with the same easy I can shoot down 1-2 using the machine guns of a Hurricane.

Do you really expect to take down 4-5 bombers with 7,7mm bullets? It was ineffective, there is a reason why pretty much everyone was using 20 and even 30mm cannons later. You can still destroy bunch of stuff inside a plane but it's not something that will happen every time. If it was so easy, everyone would just put 8x guns with much more ammo than 20mm cannons with low ammo.

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

Do you really expect to take down 4-5 bombers with 7,7mm bullets? 

A "pilot anecdote" about "B of B" tell that a Hurricane pilot  shoot down three German bombers in a flight. ;)

Archie McKellar - Hurricane
On 15 August 1940 No. 605 intercepted a German raid against Tyneside mounted by He 111s based in Norway with Luftflotte 5 (Air Fleet 5). McKellar was credited with three He 111s destroyed during the encounter.

For this action he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and was gazetted on 13 September 1940 and made reference to the "outstanding leadership and courage" displayed by Mckellar

9 September. McKellar attacked with the sun at his back with his Squadron, save for one Section which was left to provide top cover against Bf 109s.

The attack was made head-on to break up the German bomber formation which consisted of a large mass of He 111s.

He destroyed three He 111s with a single, 12–second burst. The first He 111 exploded. It damaged a second which rolled over and dived down into the ground. McKellar then moved his fire to a third. Its port wing snapped off. He then destroyed a Bf 109 in the afternoon giving him a fourth success.

Meanwhile, in flight games:;)

6xhe111.jpg

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

Do you really expect to take down 4-5 bombers with 7,7mm bullets? It was ineffective, there is a reason why pretty much everyone was using 20 and even 30mm cannons later. You can still destroy bunch of stuff inside a plane but it's not something that will happen every time. If it was so easy, everyone would just put 8x guns with much more ammo than 20mm cannons with low ammo.

So, theoretically one could take down half a dozen bombers with a dozen 7.7mm bullets... they pack quite a punch (although, after penetrating the aircraft skin induces yaw to the bullet they only will penetrate to the extent of a few millimetres into metal).

The reason why one shouldn't be able to take down more than 2-3 bombers as a Hurricane pilot is related to the difficulty in dealing with aerodynamic complciations, with ranging a target, hitting a target, and hitting the right parts of a target... not simply firepower.

Given that we don't have to experience gee-forces, given that we don't have to worry about dying if we screw up, and given that we can play the same scenario multiple times over a decade... it would be unsurprising if the average player actually did about 25% better in the sim than most aces (and double aces) would do in real life!

A quick calculation:

A mid-war Hispano round was replacing four or six 7.7mm bullets (calculated based on rate of fire and number of guns)... so it only had to be four to six times more effective per bullet... the MGFF only replaced one machine gun, so it only had to be more effective than that.

As currently modelled in Cliffs of Dover: 120 rounds of 20mm are more effective than 5000 rounds of 7.7mm (calculated based on ammunition expended & number of kills)!

I suspect this might be the cases because cannon rounds were given a bit of a boost (Cliffs of Dover at release had all weapons modelled as weaker than BoX did).

14 hours ago, Avimimus said:

given that we don't have to worry about dying if we screw up

Of course we do. It all depends how game is made and what you want to do in there. If you play iron mode career that last few years when you progress through the expansions, you won't be such a careless score hunter. If you just stay 50m behind bomber and hope you won't get hit buy gunners, then yea, you can probably kill 3-6 bombers if you get lucky not to get shot in face.

15 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

For this action he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

Like it says, he got medal for that, because it was not something common. If you get lucky you can attack every bomber from the front and kill pilot with just few hits, then you get 10 kills or so. Sometimes i even think .303 are a bit OP, should not they just turn into a smashed flat metal plate after hitting plane? So it would lose entire penetrating power and don't really damage much inside the plane. Unless they use AP version only.

I feel a bit embarrassed i like Il2 and Cliff

14 hours ago, Avimimus said:

....... given that we don't have to worry about dying if we screw up ......

I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed i like Il2 and Cliffs as being a pacifist; glad we're excused being just mad-ass virtual killers to boot ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InProgress said:

Like it says, he got medal for that, because it was not something common. If you get lucky you can attack every bomber from the front and kill pilot with just few hits, then you get 10 kills or so. Sometimes i even think .303 are a bit OP, should not they just turn into a smashed flat metal plate after hitting plane? So it would lose entire penetrating power and don't really damage much inside the plane. Unless they use AP version only.

Yes good/luck shooters are the exception, is probable that a good amount of of BoB RAF pilots don't hit anything.

Back to game word,  in CloD you can set ammo belts, for Spit/Hurri a effective set against bombers is - if shoot in convergence distance:

gun 1: ball, ball, AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde
gun 2: AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde, ball, ball
gun 3: de Wilde, de Wilde, ball, ball, AP, AP
gun 4: ball, ball, AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde
gun 5: AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde, ball, ball
gun 6: de Wilde, de Wilde, ball, ball, AP, AP
gun 7: ball, ball, AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde
gun 8: AP, AP, de Wilde, de Wilde, ball, ball

Ball is good for kill crew members

AP against engines, control cables...

de Wilde for set fires*

* In CloD a bug(?) make possible shoot a bomber with just one de Wilde hit in aileron, because the fabric is set afire and crew bail out immediately when see fire in that surfaces - but takes a while when fire is in engines. 😏

In boB some He 111 are able to return to France in this state:

12260d9f153b211492be31992e8465ef.jpg

What are devastating for other crews moral, because bring back several crew members dead.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1