Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 230 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

The P-38 looks fantastic inside and out.  If I were to buy Bodenplatte I think that would be the one I fly the most.

What is happening with the airfields?  Will they eventually get the historical bomb damage that was present on and around them or will they remain in pristine condition as in the screenshots?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The P-38 looks fantastic inside and out.  If I were to buy Bodenplatte I think that would be the one I fly the most.

What is happening with the airfields?  Will they eventually get the historical bomb damage that was present on and around them or will they remain in pristine condition as in the screenshots?

 

That is up to the mission creator! The screenshots show all buildings in undamaged condition, but it is very easy to set them as ‘damaged’ (some objects have various levels). It is also very easy to put some craters here and there on the airfield.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The P-38 looks fantastic inside and out.  If I were to buy Bodenplatte I think that would be the one I fly the most.

What is happening with the airfields?  Will they eventually get the historical bomb damage that was present on and around them or will they remain in pristine condition as in the screenshots?

 

I bought it and from all that's in so far, I only fly the P-47.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

 

That is up to the mission creator! The screenshots show all buildings in undamaged condition, but it is very easy to set them as ‘damaged’ (some objects have various levels). It is also very easy to put some craters here and there on the airfield.

 

Hi Vander, do you mean this many? And this is just one of scores of airfields you may encounter in a single mission.  If you think it will be entirely up to the very small minority of users who know the FMB to finish off the map, then I very much doubt you will ever see a realistic depiction of the true landscape in Career or QMB flights. 

 

Hopefully some effort will be made to put "some craters" into the no-man's land for FC, otherwise you are going to be a very busy boy!  :happy:

 

large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Hi Vander, do you mean this many? And this is just one of scores of airfields you may encounter in a single mission.  If you think it will be entirely up to the very small minority of users who know the FMB to finish off the map, then I very much doubt you will ever see a realistic depiction of the true landscape in Career or QMB flights. 

I am a bit afraid that in career campaign there wont be views like this. Only in scripted campaigns, but we will see. Hope career mode would get some scripted missions here and there that always happen at certain days. Like that entire raid on allied airfields and later see destruction on them. Would be cool :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could have sworn there was a DEV post about two versions of object placement options regarding this specific question. It’s late, I’ll go dig around for it tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devs are giving us pretty much all the tools necessary for making compelling missions. I think it is now up to users and players to use those tools and make realistic airfields if they want to.

 

The Bodenplatte map is useful for many many other periods in WWII. It shouldn't be hobbled with very period-specific damage.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Hi Vander, do you mean this many? And this is just one of scores of airfields you may encounter in a single mission.  If you think it will be entirely up to the very small minority of users who know the FMB to finish off the map, then I very much doubt you will ever see a realistic depiction of the true landscape in Career or QMB flights. 

 

Hopefully some effort will be made to put "some craters" into the no-man's land for FC, otherwise you are going to be a very busy boy!  :happy:

 

large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

 

Let's be realistic. I don't expect to see anything like this in the game. You'd also want to use this airfield in mission scenarios before and after battles in this area. Still, you can place a lot of small craters on this airfield to give this impression. About WW1 front lines: That is a different challenge!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All very , very nice!

The P-51 is especially lovely!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

You'd also want to use this airfield in mission scenarios before and after battles in this area.

 

Scenarios in mid 1943 or late 1946?  I'm not sure if that would come up very often.  Certainly not enough to tailor the game so that they are catered for by default at the expense of the true Bodenplatte landscape.  I figured the devs must have a plan up their sleeve and they are going to add the accumulated crater textures to the airfields and landscape using shared artwork from the coming FC map.  That's my final hope anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all!

 

Very beautiful aircraft and the basic skins are top notch; however all the weathering is missing! I just hope there is a way (dedicated layer, perhaps) to create that for the skin specialists...You just have to look at the pictures of the time to see that the operational aircraft were closer to the trash bin than to the plant in terms of appearance...

 

I like the airfield (which look british!); at least for a british airfield it is quite OK (even if I suspect in 44 many of them had concrete runways, but I guess some -fighter bases mainly- were still in their BoB state. I just hope the continental airfields will be at this level of quality in terms of coherency, hangars etc...

 

JVM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope there will be the new map in the next update,  I don't have the courage to fly p51 on Stalingrad map… 😱

anyway, great job devs

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marvelous screenhots! Thanks very much devs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

 

That is up to the mission creator! The screenshots show all buildings in undamaged condition, but it is very easy to set them as ‘damaged’ (some objects have various levels). It is also very easy to put some craters here and there on the airfield.

It would be great if dev can add some craters which can become entity, like genius did (but official objects will be easier to use on public server). We could do some scenari where player take off from airfield A, but when they want to land, they have to land to another airfield because the airfield A become close after a bombing attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top view of the P51 speeding across the ground guns blazing.........amazing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Hi Vander, do you mean this many? And this is just one of scores of airfields you may encounter in a single mission.  If you think it will be entirely up to the very small minority of users who know the FMB to finish off the map, then I very much doubt you will ever see a realistic depiction of the true landscape in Career or QMB flights. 

 

Hopefully some effort will be made to put "some craters" into the no-man's land for FC, otherwise you are going to be a very busy boy!  :happy:

 

large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

 

 

Spot the UXB!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

Thanks for asking. He’s recovering from surgery. That’s all I know at this point. But expected to be ok.

 

Jason

Thanks for the up date, I'm sure all of us wish him a good recovery and that he will return to good heath.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we get the Hollywood performance buff using the Red Tails skin? ? ? :rofl:

 

Amazing P38 cockpit !!

Edited by 6./ZG26_Gielow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PL_Andrev said:

No news about tanks?

:(

 

 

Evidently, they're hush hush, destined for Mesopotamia.

 

 

As an aside, it appears that some of the fields on the Bobp map have "tram lines", parallel lines caused by "Modern" farming practices.  If it's the case, it won't be the first tlme, or probably the last, that this basic, schoolboy error, has been made in a historical based sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jvm said:

 

 

I like the airfield (which look british!); at least for a british airfield it is quite OK (even if I suspect in 44 many of them had concrete runways, but I guess some -fighter bases mainly- were still in their BoB state. I just hope the continental airfields will be at this level of quality in terms of coherency, hangars etc...

 

Britain doesn't feature in the new map

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PL_Andrev said:

No news about tanks?

:(

 

Jason states in the last DD, that they are working on it as well and that there are some new features and improvements coming. So I would guess there will be something in the next update as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the PSP runways (Pierced Steel Plank Runway, or "Marston Matt" or "Marston Matting"used in ETO and PTO. Ophoven Airfield Y-32, Y-29...

 

800px-404th_Fighter_Squadron_-_P-47_Thun

Tantonville Airfield (Y-1), France, 12 January 1945

 

 

 

Edited by OREL_Shifty
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works of art.  These planes will certainly balance the game, I'd just love the B25 to be a flyable.  I'll be buying.🥴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

Thanks for asking. He’s recovering from surgery. That’s all I know at this point. But expected to be ok.

 

Jason

Glad to hear that. Wishing him all the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remer said:

 These planes will certainly balance the game

 

Hope not... there is no such thing as balance in war.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

 

Hope not... there is no such thing as balance in war.

 

Well, no balance if you're good at it.

Edited by cardboard_killer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cardboard_killer said:

 

Well, not if you're good at it.

 

Lol!... I am anything but good, that's for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

If it's the case, it won't be the first tlme, or probably the last, that this basic, schoolboy error, has been made in a historical based sim.

 

I wonder if that is by design; in movies the sound effects people put in the sound of cocking a pistol even when the pistol has no hammer because the audience expects to hear that noise. Often history has to give way to fun.

1 minute ago, Trooper117 said:

 

Lol!... I am anything but good, that's for sure!

 

That's okay. There's no balance if you're bad at it either! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Talon_ said:

 

Britain doesn't feature in the new map

 

Then I wonder what airfield is it?

 

Ed: I just realize the screenshots may have been made with BoK map, where airfields do resemble this one...

Edited by jvm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 12:11 PM, Feathered_IV said:

 

Scenarios in mid 1943 or late 1946?  I'm not sure if that would come up very often.  Certainly not enough to tailor the game so that they are catered for by default at the expense of the true Bodenplatte landscape.  I figured the devs must have a plan up their sleeve and they are going to add the accumulated crater textures to the airfields and landscape using shared artwork from the coming FC map.  That's my final hope anyway!

We will not face same historical scenario in this game. Luftwaffe will not have less pilots and their yberplanes will not lack fuel nor numbers. 

It will be a very non historical battle where allied side not will have better fuel or airsuperiority. 

It is simply a waste of time even thinking of it 

25 minutes ago, MrPeterpanGER said:

Why is the the B 25 a Ai Plane its a so nice plane to fly

Because this is a economical issue. How many more would have bought bobp with a flyable B 25? = none how many will by it as a collector plane later on? =98%

this way thay can build a pack cheaper and faster for the same amount of customers. 

Bobp is a business like all things

Edited by LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...