Jump to content
Tapi

Vality's headset - possible VR future (2021)?

Recommended Posts

Looks like another Scuba Mask headset, straight ahead look and no usable FOV for a flight simmer.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of things to do before launch, refresh rate, higher resolution, low persistence, slightly larger FOV but interesting nonetheless even if it shapes the way for a larger FOV version for gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I don't know but twice the resolution of the Reverb sounds pretty sweet. Me personally I would take resolution over FOV.

They expect 85 degrees FOV in finished product, which is about on par with Rift S and Reverb. And maybe be able to run it with reasonable performance.

Only Index and Pimax are currently doing the wider FOV.

 

I think at this point I am going to hold out for when the technology can offer us higher resolution and higher FOV with good performance.

Maybe it will take eye tracking and foveated rendering to achieve that. It would sure be nice to see that in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn't a GPU available yet that can drive higher resolutions at a decent refresh rate.  My overclocked RTX 2080 Ti cannot maintain a constant 90 fps on the Reverb.  Still I am excited for the future of VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jarg1 said:

There isn't a GPU available yet that can drive higher resolutions at a decent refresh rate.  My overclocked RTX 2080 Ti cannot maintain a constant 90 fps on the Reverb.  Still I am excited for the future of VR.

Do you use any programs which run on vulcan and don't make the cpu a bottleneck? I will try to purchase one at least in the next few months to see if there is any impact.

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope for the foveated rendering as a road to ultra high resolutions. Raw power of the grahic cards (even of the not yet realeased ones) alone won't be suffficient enough to give us spectacular graphics...

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TunaEatsLion said:

Do you use any programs which run on vulcan and don't make the cpu a bottleneck? I will try to purchase one at least in the next few months to see if there is any impact.

 

I do own a few apps that supposedly offer support for Vulcan including Aerofly 2, but have to admit I have no idea how to run them using Vulcan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jarg1 said:

 

I do own a few apps that supposedly offer support for Vulcan including Aerofly 2, but have to admit I have no idea how to run them using Vulcan.

Waiting for No Man's Sky to get half price discount to try out.  Its dx12.  On A side note, does anyone know of a good program alternative VorpX?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TunaEatsLion said:

On A side note, does anyone know of a good program alternative VorpX?

TriDef - dead

Reshade with Depth3D shader - free but needs tweaking and workaround with Virtual Desktop (or similar) to get it to the headset

 

Are you considering getting vorpX? Its forum is quite active and Ralf is helpful. It is pricey but I have never regretted buying it.

Edited by apollon01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dburne said:

Oh I don't know but twice the resolution of the Reverb sounds pretty sweet.

 

Hey, wait a moment, 2K means about 2000 pixels horizontally. 

The Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so this is 2K+2K as well. So same resolution than Reverb. Which is still phenomenal but you have it today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Hey, wait a moment, 2K means about 2000 pixels horizontally. 

The Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so this is 2K+2K as well. So same resolution than Reverb. Which is still phenomenal but you have it today.

The article talked about higher resolution than the prototype aiming for 46 PPD, so I think it is a plan at this stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Hey, wait a moment, 2K means about 2000 pixels horizontally. 

The Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so this is 2K+2K as well. So same resolution than Reverb. Which is still phenomenal but you have it today.

 



The prototype uses a pair of 2K × 2K micro-displays which, across its 80 × 80 degree field of view, offers 36 PPD (pixels per degree) in the center of the view. In the final version the company plans to use higher resolution displays and a slightly wider field of view (85 × 85 degrees or so) and ultimately land at 46 PPD.

This is very high pixel density—roughly twice as much as something like HP Reverb—but not quite ‘retinal resolution’ (which would mean enough pixel density to meet or exceed the resolving power of the human eye). Vality says the headset will be “close to retinal resolution,” which they define as around 60 PPD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Hey, wait a moment, 2K means about 2000 pixels horizontally. 

The Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so this is 2K+2K as well. So same resolution than Reverb. Which is still phenomenal but you have it today.

The author of the article probably wants to say 2K x 2K, ie 4K, per eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tapi said:

The author of the article probably wants to say 2K x 2K, ie 4K, per eye.

 

Hey, 2000x2000 is not 4K.

4K means that horizontal pixels are in range of 4000. 

A monitor "4K" is 3840x2160

 

More here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39556-2k-does-not-mean-2560×1440/

 

6 hours ago, dburne said:

The prototype uses a pair of 2K × 2K micro-displays which, across its 80 × 80 degree field of view, offers 36 PPD (pixels per degree)

 

I don´t know exactly how they calculate the 36 ppd, but 2000 divided per 80 is 25PPD.

 

The REverb has 2160 and 91 FOV, so it gives 24PPD

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/52664-comparison-of-vr-headsets-displays/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

Hey, 2000x2000 is not 4K.

4K means that horizontal pixels are in range of 4000. 

A monitor "4K" is 3840x2160

 

More here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39556-2k-does-not-mean-2560×1440/

 

 

I don´t know exactly how they calculate the 36 ppd, but 2000 divided per 80 is 25PPD.

 

The REverb has 2160 and 91 FOV, so it gives 24PPD

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/52664-comparison-of-vr-headsets-displays/

 

 

Well sounds like then you need to let them know.

All I was doing was quoting the article.

I can't help how they advertise it. Maybe they use Pimax math. :wacko:

 

I guess we will know when they do eventually release it.

 

 

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 7:01 AM, Tapi said:

https://www.roadtovr.com/vality-is-building-a-compact-vr-headset-with-ultra-high-resolution/

+ ultra high resolution 2K + 2K

+ very lightweight (200g)

- small FOV (85°)

It is so light that you could rig two of them together to give you a wider fov with some ingenuity.  I'm sure there are those talented enough to try with 3d printing a bracket and some custom lenses from a laser equipment catalog....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, jarg1 said:

I do own a few apps that supposedly offer support for Vulcan including Aerofly 2, but have to admit I have no idea how to run them using Vulcan.

In AFS2 you check a box in the graphic settings ─ I think that really is all you have to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Venom said:

In AFS2 you check a box in the graphic settings ─ I think that really is all you have to do.

 

You are right.  As it turns out I have Vulcan already enabled.  I took a P-38 out for a quick test run and confirmed it runs very smoothly.  But I'm not sure what that really tells us.  The graphics quality even at max settings is not as good as IL2 IMO, and if I recall it ran very well on my older pc with a GTX 1080 and a 4.6 Ghz overclocked CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...