von_Michelstamm

the problem with head tracking software

The most natural and realistic experience is had by totally flat curves. And the lowest sensitivity one can manage.
We often need to introduce curves, or instead raise sensitivity setting, or some combo of both, so that while aiming via the gunsight (x, y, pitch and yaw at zero) our view isn't dancing around.
When looking anywhere but the gunsight, we are currently forced to use those same steadying settings, at least using opentrack.
Wouldn't it be great if sensitivity or even axis curvature was scaled down relative to how far away from 0 one's head actually was on ALL axes?
For example, looking out my side window, my pitch is at zero, but my yaw is at something else. But I don't want my pitch to behave as if I am looking out the gunsight when i tilt my head up or down to follow someone chasing me.
Maybe the solution is a new axis that ties everything else to 0,0,0,0 on ALL axis, for clean, steady aiming out front, and quick, seamless tracking of bandits 'over your shoulder' and above you.

Thoughts?

Edited by von_Michelstamm

I am using TrackIR. The first 5° the ratio between my head turning and the turning of the camera in game is 1:1, so 1° head turning is 1° camera turning. The more I turn my head, the larger the ratio gets. At 25° head side turning, the camera turns 135° and at 30° head turning the camera is at 180° (for the side, different ratios of course for turning up and down.

The other four axis are all 1:1, because they don't change how you can look to the screen.

• Upvote 1

@Yogiflight that is pretty much how I do it too: you can only turn your head to the side so far before it starts to be difficult to look at the middle of the screen, so you need gearing, but also stability for small movements as well.

Thing about TiR is that you are not actually looking around - use VR if you want to do that - it is just a convenient way to move the POV of your avatar. So realism is not really that relevant, although I do find it gives some illusion of actually looking around which helps immersion. 

Pretty sure everyone who has been using TrackIr or similar for a while has 1:1 near the centre then the response gradually gears up the more you turn your head.   Personally I also leave a small area around Zero on the 'sideways movement' , not yaw, where nothing happens at all unless I move my head more than a few inches left or right.  This means my gunsight is always centred unless I make a deliberate movement to lean my head out of the cockpit or look behind a canopy strut or the joystick etc.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

39 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Personally I also leave a small area around Zero on the 'sideways movement' , not yaw, where nothing happens at all unless I move my head more than a few inches left or right.  This means my gunsight is always centred unless I make a deliberate movement to lean my head out of the cockpit or look behind a canopy strut or the joystick etc.

I do this as well, I found it very off-putting having side-to-side movement when I wanted to remain centred, then having to work to either centre it or press a button to centre the view again. I am experimenting currently with more or less of a deadzone. I prefer to have a bigger deadzone, but it can sometimes mean I am leaning so far to the side that my LEDs disappear from the camera and mess things up.

Dead zones are good for aiming, but I like flat curves for just flying and looking around, it feels more natural to me. Maybe some day I'll try to figure out a way to switch profiles using a button?

I am always for having a simulation as realistic as possible. I am pretty sure the pilots back then didn't have their view always centered either. But that is what you have tracers for, to see if you are shooting to where you want.