-EAGLE-Shifter

Buzz bomb

Yes, this would be fun. I'd love to try and take them out and have the detonate in mid air.

Not sure if any of our maps are appropriate for them though

12 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

150 Octane grade fuel was used to chase them in Spitfires, Tempests, Mustangs, Mosquitoes and the like.

Happy landings,

Talisman

According to secret documents, 150 oct fuel did not exist and was an actual propaganda ploy created after war to boost the allies airplanes performance for history books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

V2 more fits bobp map, yu could have mobile ground units and some missions hunting them before they lanch them on Antwerp or later on bridges, Channal map would be better fit for V1s i dont know if they used them mutch on map we get with bobp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Luftschiff said:

Now how about that Focke-Wulf canopy bar, huh?

The what? 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy

9 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

The what? 

Old joke from original IL2 forum...🙄

9 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

V2 more fits bobp map, yu could have mobile ground units and some missions hunting them before they lanch them on Antwerp or later on bridges, Channal map would be better fit for V1s i dont know if they used them mutch on map we get with bobp

According to what I have recently read, Florennes was in what they called “buzz bomb alley”. They occasionally chased them but had other problems to worry about most of the time. They were launched at the rear areas regularly in September, October ‘44.

It would make for some interesting missions to hunt down the launch sites, but I am not sure which units actually did that. It should be easy to look up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

Old joke from original IL2 forum...🙄

No, that was "Oleg-Bars"....

Edited by Cpt_Siddy

5 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

Old joke from original IL2 forum...

Two Luftwhiners walk into a bar...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, OREL_Shifty said:

Hi ale how possible is implementace v1 buzz bomb to map, in the future?

Would make sense to me because a lot of them went down on Antwerp in fall/winter of 1944, the city of "sudden death".

Quote from that site:

"During the V-weapon onslaught, over a period of 175 days and nights, the German launching crews fired more than 4,000 V-1s and more than 1,700 V-2s at greater Antwerp. Of those, 106 V-1s and 107 V-2s hit the heart of the city. During that period more than 3,700 civilians were killed and some 6,000 injured in the provence of Antwerp."

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/antwerp.html

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/antwerpmap.html

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 2

Did fighters try and intercept them in the Autumn over the continent? I have never seen anything to suggest that they did, as opposed to attacking the launch sites.

15 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Did fighters try and intercept them in the Autumn over the continent? I have never seen anything to suggest that they did, as opposed to attacking the launch sites.

On 17 March 1945, they fired eleven V-2 missiles at the bridge, their first use against a tactical target. They could not employ the more accurate Leitstrahl device because it was oriented towards Antwerp and could not be easily adjusted for another target. Fired from near Hellendoorn, the Netherlands, one of the missiles landed as far away as Cologne, 40 miles (64 km) to the north, while one missed the bridge by only 500 to 800 yards (460 to 730 m). They also struck the town of Remagen, destroying a number of buildings and killing at least six American soldiers.

Last use ...The final two rockets exploded on 27 March 1945. One of these was the last V-2 to kill a British civilian, in Kent.

Antwerp, "City of Sudden Death"

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/antwerp.html

Sure, but outside of UK air defence was there any systematic interception effort?

Where I used to live in south London was a plaque to a family killed by a V2 in Feb ‘45.

16 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

According to secret documents, 150 oct fuel did not exist and was an actual propaganda ploy created after war to boost the allies airplanes performance for history books.

Nah, that was the Lagg roll rate!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Sure, but outside of UK air defence was there any systematic interception effort?

Where I used to live in south London was a plaque to a family killed by a V2 in Feb ‘45.

I think not. But i read at this time book abouth tempest pilot. I will looking at it.

One in three V1 was failed and  U V2 was one in five failed.

Not a single V-2 was destroyed by the action of classic defenses (fighters, anti-aircraft artillery or balloon dams). It wasn't even technically possible enough, for the rocket had a speed twice the speed of sound when it hit. The only defense was the air force's bombardment of the launchers and, above all, their conquest by an assault by ground troops.

I think, maybee isnt bad, made in future mission to destroy this tactical targets. For Tempest missions.

I used to know someone who was blown off his feet by a v2 in October 1944.

It landed about two hundred yards from him just to the West of Southend Pier as he was walking along the top deck of the pier.

He said he had zero warning, literally one minute he's strolling along and the next he's blown twenty feet, knocked out and when he comes to he's totally deaf.

The crater the V2 caused is now a sunken children's theme park to the side of the pier.

38 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

As a ground target they are certainly interesting

Yep and coding some small cruise missiles (V1) into the game wouldn´t hurt either. The more mission variety the better.

Having read the war diary of 603 auxiliary squadron operation 'big ben' missions.. would be interesting to say the least. However it also depends on what is fly over country on that bodenplatte map and what isn't..

1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I'll just leave this here ;)

76335dc8f8a1836e1c60378f8d477f38.thumb.jpg.a72516579b2452a7946c7c057dfe0ad2.jpg

TBH, I wonder if V1s were really an issue for the Tempest to tackle after September of '44

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sharpe43 said:

TBH, I wonder if V1s were really an issue for the Tempest to tackle after September of '44

I don't think they were, Tempest's didn't really hit mainland Europe until autumn 44  but adding V1's would be good.

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Clostermann never flew Tempests in the UK / anti-V1 campaign

No he didn't, I don't think he got his first victory in a Tempest until March 45. A fanciful painting indeed, however, It would be nice to have some V1 missions. Saying that, I don't think we will be getting them anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

No he didn't, I don't think he got his first victory in a Tempest until March 45. A fanciful painting indeed, however, It would be nice to have some V1 missions. Saying that, I don't think we will be getting them anytime soon. 

Maybe a 2020 goal for the team. I hope some of the excellent skinners make some 486 NZ jobs as they did both fight the V1s and put the hammer down over the Rhein as part of 122 Wing.

16 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Maybe a 2020 goal for the team. I hope some of the excellent skinners make some 486 NZ jobs as they did both fight the V1s and put the hammer down over the Rhein as part of 122 Wing.

Fingers crossed ;)

59 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Excellent suggestion:

486.jpg

hawker-tempest-v-sn129-sl-jimmy-sheddan-

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, sevenless said:

486.jpg

I read Sheddans book  "Tempest pilot" at this time. NZ had big losses due to the failure of the first Typhoons. 

P.S. The First Pilot who survived the emergency landing on the sea with Tiffy was Czechoslovak pilot Jiří Maňák (No. 182 squadron RAF)

He destroyed 10 locomotives and 4 ships. Up to now he flew 273 combat flights (130 over enemy territory) lasting 360 hours in total and there was a preparation to award the Distinguished flying cross (DFC). His luck left on 28th August 1943 when his Typhoon Mk.Ib JP613 (TP-N) was damaged by flak during a Fighter Sweep in Knokke area in the Netherlands.

However he managed to land on the sea (as one of just a few successful Typhoon pilots) and rescued himself on the dinghy. Unfortunately he was captured by Germans on the coast of Walcheren Islands. They sent him to Dalag Luft and then to POW camp Stalag Luft III near Sagan. Here he helped to prepare the Great escape. After this event they moved him to several other camps and finally he was liberated by British army near Lübeck on 2nd May 1945. He returned to UK, joined RAF again and came flying to Czechoslovakia in the group of 12 Spitfires LF.Mk.IXe lead by W/Cdr Tomáš Vybíral, DSO, DFC on 24th August 1945.

• Like 2

Czechoslovaks flew anti V1 missions, (called Anti-Diver missions) It was a hunting obsession for pilots, hunting doodle-bugs, they returning with the full wrecks of their aircraft, as the book "Spitfires over Europe, Otto Smik and his days" says. First attacks was no more then 200m, it was first attempt. 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:53 AM, EAF19_Marsh said:

It's my intention to do so *touch wood*
Five years ago I did a 12 pack of 486sqn skins for the old game but they covered the whole period of 486's use of the Tempest and included some series 1 aircraft. This time I have more info and hope to do squadron sized packs for both late '44 and '45.
If the Hurricane rumour is correct and if it's a IIb, and if I buy it, I'll do some 486sqn skins from the period they flew as Turbinlite night fighters.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, Luftschiff said:

Now how about that Focke-Wulf canopy bar, huh?

What is this in reference to? I've seen this but not sure what the joke is