RedKestrel

What to look for in a monitor

I've started thinking about replacing my basic monitor on my set up and I'm running into a basic problem - I really have no idea what to look for.

There seems to be a lot of buzzwords and abbreviations out there and I can't tell if half of it is just fluff or if its technical specs that might be bad or good for a flight sim setup.

Anyone have a rundown on what features are important in a monitor for a game like Il-2, and what kind of things to avoid?

I'm in the same boat! Right now I have 3 x 27" monitors (from 2011) for mainly racing games, but for flight simming I really only use one due to 3 screens on my favorite sims eat too many fps.

With VR becoming the norm going forward I'd love to get rid of the 3 screens and go with one really nice screen. I think if you have a beefy new video card gsync or freesync is a must to provide much smoother gaming...but I don't really know much about them either. Following this thread!

I haven't used a > 60hz display, but a lot of people say they're awesome. I suspect for flight sims you'll get a benefit from going from 60 to 75 to 90 to 100, but you might not get a lot beyond 100hz, and you certainly pay for higher refresh rates.

Personally I think ultrawide 21:9 is where it's at for most gaming, rather than having a 2 monitor setup. I have a 21:9 ultrawide but it's only 1080 vertically. If I was buying again today I think I'd be looking for 100hz 21:9 ultrawide with 1440 vertical pixels.

For flight simming, input lag matters a lot less than for FPS / shooters. If you're just flight simming you might be fine just enabling vsync and choosing graphics settings that allow your GPU to pin the monitor at max refresh rate. I have an NVidia card so I might consider G-sync, but it adds a lot to the cost of a monitor. NVidia are increasingly allowing adaptive refresh rates on FreeSync monitors (the AMD/open version of G-sync) but I'm not sure how many models are compatible.

The CAD$550 model from my local supplier looks good. $100 instant savings, $30 mail in rebate taking it to $519.99 + tax, and for that you're getting 34in curved ultrawide, 100hz, freesync, and 3440 x 1440 resolution. And MSI claims it's Gsync compatible. That's the MSI Optix MAG341CQ.

Obligatory VR pitch: If you're buying a new monitor and have a GPU that can drive it, you could spend the money on a VR headset instead...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

I haven't used a > 60hz display, but a lot of people say they're awesome. I suspect for flight sims you'll get a benefit from going from 60 to 75 to 90 to 100, but you might not get a lot beyond 100hz, and you certainly pay for higher refresh rates.

Personally I think ultrawide 21:9 is where it's at for most gaming, rather than having a 2 monitor setup. I have a 21:9 ultrawide but it's only 1080 vertically. If I was buying again today I think I'd be looking for 100hz 21:9 ultrawide with 1440 vertical pixels.

For flight simming, input lag matters a lot less than for FPS / shooters. If you're just flight simming you might be fine just enabling vsync and choosing graphics settings that allow your GPU to pin the monitor at max refresh rate. I have an NVidia card so I might consider G-sync, but it adds a lot to the cost of a monitor. NVidia are increasingly allowing adaptive refresh rates on FreeSync monitors (the AMD/open version of G-sync) but I'm not sure how many models are compatible.

The CAD$550 model from my local supplier looks good. $100 instant savings, $30 mail in rebate taking it to $519.99 + tax, and for that you're getting 34in curved ultrawide, 100hz, freesync, and 3440 x 1440 resolution. And MSI claims it's Gsync compatible. That's the MSI Optix MAG341CQ.

Obligatory VR pitch: If you're buying a new monitor and have a GPU that can drive it, you could spend the money on a VR headset instead...

My GPU is a GTX 1060. Not looking to get into VR,  can’t afford the unit or the rig to run it well. I guess I’m really looking for a monitor in the three to four hundred range with better colour, resolution and refresh than my current cheap one. Thanks for the tips!

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

My GPU is a GTX 1060. Not looking to get into VR,  can’t afford the unit or the rig to run it well. I guess I’m really looking for a monitor in the three to four hundred range with better colour, resolution and refresh than my current cheap one. Thanks for the tips!

Well, I still like my 2560x1080 60hz ultrawide, it's just I'd rather have a 1440p version 😉

Here's a 60hz 1440 ultrawide for $399 off Amazon US. Here's a 200hz 1080 ultrawide for $300.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Well, I still like my 2560x1080 60hz ultrawide, it's just I'd rather have a 1440p version 😉

Here's a 60hz 1440 ultrawide for $399 off Amazon US. Here's a 200hz 1080 ultrawide for $300.

Thanks for your help here, I think I have a better idea of what I'm looking at.

Unfortunately I'm looking at a new desk, thirsting after some new rudder pedals, and also a monitor. How can I pick??? Fortunately for me none of it is at the immediate need stage, but that means justifying the expense is even harder!