Sign in to follow this  
Pipa_VR

Valve Index reboots in the game.

Hi, guys!

Just got my Index. I really like it, but there is a problem: sometimes it reboots right during the flight. In the helmet it feels like power gets off and then comes back in a second. The game in this moments does not crash and I continue flight after this short “reboot”, but without in-game sound (speakers stay on and I can hear systems sounds, eg if I check windows sound slider). Any thoughts?

I have the same problem with HTC Vive but mostly on the menu, any solution?

Check all your cables, including where the cable attaches to the headset. Sometimes this will be the loose end causing a problem. Does Index take power from USB? Try using a different USB port, it might not be delivering enough power (for my Rift S I use the USB-C port on my RTX 2080, with an adapter, because 'VirtualLink' is guaranteed to give enough power to the USB port).

15 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Check all your cables, including where the cable attaches to the headset. Sometimes this will be the loose end causing a problem. Does Index take power from USB? Try using a different USB port, it might not be delivering enough power (for my Rift S I use the USB-C port on my RTX 2080, with an adapter, because 'VirtualLink' is guaranteed to give enough power to the USB port).

Thank you for reply. Changing and reseating cables was the first thing  I did. Index supplies with power from power adapter. Today I tried to uninstall all VR drivers in SteamVR. After this I played more than an hour without any trouble. Need to spent a bit more time to check if this helped completely.

Looks like problem is solved.

Maybe somebody could find it useful, if i share my experience here.

First of all, i have to say, that index is my second HMD. The first one was Odyssey+. Maybe it matters, because i did not change any settings before start using Index. After detection of “short shutdowns issue” i tried to make some changes in SteamVR, reseat cables and reinstall SteamVR. Nothing helped.

Solution for me was an option “Remove all SteamVR USB-devices” in developer tab of SteamVR. Full description of this procedure might be found on the internet.

After performing this there was no more shutdowns at all. And the issue with pixel shimmering (you can find some related videos ion youtube) disappeared too.

• Upvote 1