Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

I wanted to share a story about ShamrockOneFive in IL-2 multiplayer

It's a story of superior airmanship...outstanding bombing skills...world class formation flying...and a little something nagging in the back of your mind, "Did I put the gear down?"

@ShamrockOneFive, and @SYN_Requiem were on WOL flying A-20s. Typically Requiem kills all the targets and occasionally frags his wingman (me...). But the first sortie tonight Requiem took the lead and at my request made the first pass over the target just to ID the target since he set his bombs to a 15 second delay. Sure enough he was flak bait, but it allowed me and Shamrock to kill the guns and takeout most of the targets. Requiem's battle damage forced him to bail out due to fuel starvation just inside our line. Shamrock and I got home without a scratch.

Second sortie, Requiem jumped in a LaGG-3 and Stunner joined us in an La-5. They kept a pair of bandits off of us in the target area. After a pass I came off target to see both engines overheating. Rather than climb and sort it out, I looked down in the cockpit whilst in a steep bank and conveniently drug my left wing into the trees. I'm here to tell you the Pk of the ground (trees) is close to 100%. I exited the mission and hopped back in a brand new A-20 at Agoy waiting on Shamrock's return. I heard him announce he was on an 8 km final. Thinking I'd do him a favor and record his landing, I hit record. And it was worth it.

Shamrock_03.thumb.jpg.638e941084ecfeafb0b4e0817dc42d56.jpg

Isn't that gorgeous? Lit up like a Christmas tree and flaps down...pure professionalism. :salute:

Uh-oh...hmmm "what's wrong with this picture? Anybody?"

Shamrock_04.thumb.jpg.bc092bfd1b8f338368776fdaadf7ccc4.jpg

Unfortunately I was not directive. I should have said, "GO AROUND GO AROUND GO AROUND..." instead of whispering, "gear gear gear."

Shamrock_02.jpg.57db28eb28db8d09cfe20af435a677fb.jpg 

Good news...after his first impact (bounce) he did indeed lower his gear. Now he can claim to his squadron commander and the crew chief that the gear was down but it simply collapsed. Shamrock is tricky that way. ;)

Shamrock_05.thumb.jpg.11f0ba7503a842e36a00f00d73044714.jpg

Final hop of the night Shamrock and I went with A-20s whilst Requiem and Stunner took fighters. We made sure Requiem was out in front of us (ask him about his recent two-ship in DCS with Shamrock).

Here we are on final to Agoy...oh no not again...:o:

Shamrock_06.thumb.jpg.248eeb8f65e625a178b85c9ef48b3fb8.jpg

Phew...see I told you it was a story of superior airmanship.

Shamrock_07.thumb.jpg.41f9effb48f3ebc048a4e259c8ba948a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Upvote 5

My approach speed and angle were perfect... shame about the undercarriage gear leaver being a bit sticky (I wouldn't tell the CO that though ;)).

Hilarity aside, great flying with busdriver and Requiem on several WOL flights tonight!

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

My approach speed and angle were perfect... shame about the undercarriage gear leaver being a bit sticky (I wouldn't tell the CO that though ;)).

Hilarity aside, great flying with busdriver and Requiem on several WOL flights tonight!

I always make a picture perfect approach when my gear is up. Don’t feel bad, on takeoff the other night a dastardly Luftwaffe radio tower sprung up directly in front of me and took my wing off. Just came out of nowhere! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Great story. What time / zone you guys tend to fly?

Somewhere between 9-11 pm EDT these days. It's kind of random whenever there's time sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, SYN_Requiem said:

Learning from one's mistakes is the sign of a true professional 😉

So that would not be the Luftwaffe?

• Haha 1