Sign in to follow this  
JG4_Sputnik

Help me get more frames :)

Hi pilots,

for Bodenplatte I think it is getting time to buy a new GPU for my computer. Can you recommend something for my system?

I play only in VR and have pretty ok frames but shadows and clouds, also lot of buildings do strain my system quite a bit.. and since fps in VR is key I want to upgrade soon.

What would be the best fit for my system?:

i7 4770k

16GB ram

Geforce 970, 4GB

Win 8

Thanks for your suggestions!
Cheers,
Sputnik

Thanks, do you know if there's a difference between the 2060 6GB and 2070 8 GB in terms of fps? Or generally speaking, how much does the GPU ram increase fps`? Especially for Il2, is it GPU ram hungry?

S! 

I would go for the 2070 8Gb version. Memory has no real effect on FPS, but gives more headroom. And 2070 is faster. Guru3D has a good chart of different GPU performance in diff games. IL-2 likes high frequency CPUs, a good GPU helps some if you like to play with all the bells and whistles. 

S!

I would suggest upgrading the GPU first. People have gotten good results even on weaker CPUs. Need a new CPU? Usually need a new motherboard..then comes memory etc. So more cost effective for now is the GPU. Of course depends on your budget :D

Do you have a particular budget that you're working with? How fast is the 4770K clocked currently? Which headset are you using?

People in my squadron have good results in IL-2 VR with a Rift S and the GTX 1080, which is about the same as a 2070. So I would suggest 2070 or better.

If you can, invest in overclocking your current 4770K. This might mean buying a 240/280/360mm AIO water cooler for your processor. If you can get that CPU up to about 4.5ghz it will have a big benefit for VR.

(Also, I notice this is in the general hardware forum -- you will get more specific help if you choose the VR sub forum and include your current headset details).

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked a bit around online and with the current prices it seems that it might be the best to go with the suggested 2070 for now.

I'm not a DIY geek so I don't know if I would be able to set up a watercooler and overclock my CPU... let alone without killing it.

I have a Rift CV1 but want to upgrade it to a Valve Index eventually because the greater FOV is so appealing to me :)

When I bought my 3570K (older gen than yours) the MB had software which did "one click" Overclock and ran fine 24/7 for years at 4.4ghz stable

Maybe your MB has Similar software to d/l

A closed loop aio water-cooler is pretty much as easy to install as an air cooled one

Just a thought, you are leaving a lot of performance of your cpu untapped 

Cheers, Dakpilot