jollyjack

General Q on chasing, speed and aiming practice ..

Been trying to get 'better' in chasing and aiming as rookie, especially on dogfights. I am looking f.i. for tips on policies on how to get closer and steady behind an adversary for the 'virtual kill', but i find it kind of hard to get and maintain the correct distance if there is any. Looking at all those nice videos, like what happens at this time location https://youtu.be/aPH9D4DpBko?t=46 i never seem to get 'right' somehow ....

F.i. Spits and Hurricanes turn easier, but the standard loaded amno never seem to hit anything, only on mission complete and exit you'll see some 50% damage done to a 109.

That 20mm on a 109 seems more effective LoL. Shooting anything on the ground effectively seems almost impossible without hitting the trees & ground.

So if any if you ole dogfight war-horses has any tips ... please give some advice. PS IL2 1946 seemed a lot easier, but i got too spoiled with the graphics of BoX and Cliffs ... J

Edited by jollyjack

I practiced on JU52's for a while, then moved to smaller, more evasive targets.

I also found it helpful to practice crossing shots, where you lay down a 'stream' of fire in front of your target for him to fly through.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

wait what? 1946 easier? I find it to be a lot harder to shot down anything there

13 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

I practiced on JU52's for a while, then moved to smaller, more evasive targets.

yes, same, but with IL2s and PE2s, its quite funny too

5 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Been trying to get 'better' in chasing and aiming as rookie, especially on dogfights. I am looking f.i. for tips on policies on how to get closer and steady behind an adversary for the 'virtual kill', but i find it kind of hard to get and maintain the correct distance if there is any. Looking at all those nice videos, like what happens at this time location https://youtu.be/aPH9D4DpBko?t=46 i never seem to get 'right' somehow ....

F.i. Spits and Hurricanes turn easier, but the standard loaded amno never seem to hit anything, only on mission complete and exit you'll see some 50% damage done to a 109.

That 20mm on a 109 seems more effective LoL. Shooting anything on the ground effectively seems almost impossible without hitting the trees & ground.

So if any if you ole dogfight war-horses has any tips ... please give some advice. PS IL2 1946 seemed a lot easier, but i got too spoiled with the graphics of BoX and Cliffs ... J

For me best practice for aiming is in quick misssion to select duel (1v1) and place your self 2km abow enemy, make enemy airplane start at 500n you at 2500m and he spawns uznlimited time after he gets shoot down.

Also go in settings and in realisam select unlimited ammo and turn on gun aim helper for start ( you can turn them of/on then during flight by hud key I ), it will show you where you need to aim and youll learn faster.

When you master that you can go on 2v2 and so on to practice frend foe recognision and handling multiple enemys at once, and like others say start with big target and go to smaler ones, You can also use averadge skill for start for fighters and novice for bombers.

If it's simply practicing getting positioned and aiming, set up your target plane as a friendly in the QMB. You can practice firing from different angles and get a better sense of range if the other A/C maneuvering. 

Besides all the tips given above. I find that if you have space on the HDD/SSD recording ingame traks (default Ctr+R I think) Is a good way of learning...

Record short videos. And then Review them from diferent angles. You csn"See" the actual picture from inside your cockpit of when you make hits, and you can use enemy External View to see when you miss, and if you are shooting in front or behind.

Also at first speed diference between planes can be small. So with icons on you can check if you are indeed getting closer or not.

But it super usefull when doing ground atacks.

You can see the efectiveness of your atacks. And how close are you getting the bombs from your targets.

Edited by =FEW=fernando11

Question, what is your gun convergence set at?  Aircraft with wing mounted guns are very picky about what distance you shoot at as the guns will converge on a small area within a very small range from where you have the convergence set.  This is why shooting with nose mounted weapons is easier.  They are less affected by the convergence setting as there is little "parallax" effect over the range of the weapons.

15 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I am looking f.i. for tips on policies on how to get closer and steady behind an adversary for the 'virtual kill', but i find it kind of hard to get and maintain the correct distance if there is any.

Check out this video, it explains what you’re asking about really well 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

1. loosen up your grip on the stick. You should be steering with the lightest touch of your fingertips, and making adjustments like a surgical scalpel. This even counts for extended sticks. Don't jerk around.

2. understand deflection shooting: angles off, and importantly how the speed you're going affects where to place the bogie in your crosshairs.

3. learn how to vector your plane so you're basically just waiting for the bogie to drift into the kill zone and squeezing the trigger. This even counts for snap shots, that just happens much quicker.

4. trim your elevator for the speed you're going to be going when pulling the trigger.

5. Cut your throttle when diving and learn when to ease it back in. The goal is to maintain a controlled speed.

6. try to match the banking angle of the bogie. Then you're mainly adjusting aim with your elevator.

Note:

when practicing fighters, avoid migs and 1-16s, too maneuverable. Laggs make nice targets who leak a lot of fluid and smoke to let you know when you have a hit.
P40s are nice to, as they take a lot of punishment before they go down.

Edited by von_Michelstamm

Spitfire sights can be adjusted in-game as your distance to target changes. Set target wingspan first then change target distance as needed.

The biggest keys to me were a few snippets I remember from various sources. One was Hans-Joachim Marsaille or maybe Eric Hartmann, and I think one was Shaw’s book on fighter tactics.

* Match wings with the aircraft you are pursuing and follow until you are in range.

* Keep the target on the centerline of your AC and pull up into it.

* You have to outfly them first, then you can shoot.

* Wait until the enemy fills your windscreen to fire.

* Get close, then get closer...

its way easier to learn deflection if all your guns are on the centerline. If you have wing guns, you have to think about convergence and deflection at the same time.

and yes... lots of practice. WWII pilots didn’t get nearly as much of that as we can.