"Task Force Admiral" - WW II carriers RTS.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:30 AM, Amiral_Crapaud said:

Well we thought about that. Honestly we're getting to the point where we're assembling the greatest collection of ships in this category that I have yet to see somewhere else. But I still don't know which scale, which material, which use (decoration? wargaming?) would fit them best. I am pretty sure that come some point we might be actually able to make a parallel living thanks to this, no kidding ^^

I was thinking about this too.  If ever you were to do so, 1/1200 might be the best bet.  Ideal for wargamers and a sly way to get them into your game.  1200 is without the intense competition from 1/700 manufacturers too, and just big enough for those who like to paint and decorate their models.  Plus the bigger hulls would fit on the bed of a 3D printer.  :)

Thanks for the heads up bro ^^

On 5/17/2020 at 8:02 AM, Feathered_IV said:

I was thinking about this too.  If ever you were to do so, 1/1200 might be the best bet.  Ideal for wargamers and a sly way to get them into your game.  1200 is without the intense competition from 1/700 manufacturers too, and just big enough for those who like to paint and decorate their models.  Plus the bigger hulls would fit on the bed of a 3D printer.  :)

Aye, this is really unknown territory for me. Arguably it would be a great way to help my 3D artist make more of a living on the long run too, but I really don't have the right knowledge for this as of now. Fortunately, now I know where to go to find this expertise it seems 😛

• Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 5:02 PM, Feathered_IV said:

On the other hand I've contemplated 1/5 scale RC aircraft at some point in my life...I'd like 1/5 scale carriers to go along with them please.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Sone :)

steam_header.png

Aye nothing that much new for anybody who has been following us in here as usual. But screens of every kinds, about every topic. Models, research, dev... Take your pick!

Something else entirely: we are currently organizing a lucky draw for our community to win 5 steam keys for Cyril Jarnot's Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal - probably the best wargame about carrier combat to have come out in ages. It's a good old turn-based, hex-based system inspired from Victory Games' CARRIER, so the system is proven - and the programming rather bug free after a couple months of intensive beta testing from the kickstarter original gang.

Simply follow this link to enter the draw if you're interested (don't worry, it's not very complicated...!)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/2244428724283307050

2f3ccba715bc32505b1d7dbe7fd76cc722f488cc

510bdea23e0bd0b43221057851ae105dccd0ab81

75e265cf05b563b21a657daed52dfc0f950cd497

Cheers everybody :)

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
On 5/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

OMG! All planes will have FMs and DMs? It is more than a mere RTS then, it is also a flightless flight sim. What ambition!

This will be a wonderful game if it works as intended.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2020 at 9:42 PM, Amiral_Crapaud said:

Thanks for the heads up Sone :)

steam_header.png

Aye nothing that much new for anybody who has been following us in here as usual. But screens of every kinds, about every topic. Models, research, dev... Take your pick!

Something else entirely: we are currently organizing a lucky draw for our community to win 5 steam keys for Cyril Jarnot's Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal - probably the best wargame about carrier combat to have come out in ages. It's a good old turn-based, hex-based system inspired from Victory Games' CARRIER, so the system is proven - and the programming rather bug free after a couple months of intensive beta testing from the kickstarter original gang.

I bought this game, on your recommendation. I have to say, not bad at all, the mechanics work fine with the hexagonal system. Game could do with more polish, but it is solid.

Now, tbh ... I am still waiting to see some game top CARRIERS AT WAR, still being sold on matrix games:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/carriers-at-war

If Task Force Admiral comes anything close to that, with all those graphics, that would be amazing. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:54 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Nice!  That’s a really nice gesture, a fun competition and a great looking game all at the same time.  :)

Thanks, appreciated ^^

@danielprates

Haha. Thanks Daniel. Well, basically everything you see happening in these games, whether it is CAW or CB4G, will naturally happen in TFA too. Just in a waaaaay less abstracted way, that is. These are wargame systems trying to account for carrier combat characteristics in a tabletop environment brought to PC, or more exactly in the case of CAW, this is what technology would allow on early 90s computers, where action would be better resolved in a War in the Pacific-type of animation rather than an actual, living 2D-3D world (which was already possible then, but would be ugly as hell and very, very abstracted itself). Same with the pulse system (in the case of the SSG series the famed Run5, which was as close to real-time turns could ever get). The 2007 remake is not so much a re-imagining, than it is an up-to-date version of the same game. In that regard, more than a generation after the first release of CAW or so, we certainly do aim at going beyond these original technical limitations that are not relevant today. I am excited by what the modern tech allow us to recreate and implement in terms of IRL mechanics, and we'll make full use of this.

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Amiral_Crapaud said:

Thanks, appreciated ^^

@danielprates

Haha. Thanks Daniel. Well, basically everything you see happening in these games, whether it is CAW or CB4G, will naturally happen in TFA too. Just in a waaaaay less abstracted way, that is. These are wargame systems trying to account for carrier combat characteristics in a tabletop environment brought to PC, or more exactly in the case of CAW, this is what technology would allow on early 90s computers, where action would be better resolved in a War in the Pacific-type of animation rather than an actual, living 2D-3D world (which was already possible then, but would be ugly as hell and very, very abstracted itself). Same with the pulse system (in the case of the SSG series the famed Run5, which was as close to real-time turns could ever get). The 2007 remake is not so much a re-imagining, than it is an up-to-date version of the same game. In that regard, more than a generation after the first release of CAW or so, we certainly do aim at going beyond these original technical limitations that are not relevant today. I am excited by what the modern tech allow us to recreate and implement in terms of IRL mechanics, and we'll make full use of this.

I have to say though, old-style games used the hex/counter system out of neceassity then, but it will never really grow old. For inatance: lately I've bern busy with "decisive campaigns: barbarossa". Challenge ans depth are unsurpassed, even though it is meant to be a little less cluttered than, say, Gary Grigsby's "war in ...". Then I look around towards more modern looking things and what compares?nothing really.

No worries bro, I am quite certain you're going to end up with way many more games than your time allows, unfortunately :(

At any rate, on the air combat front, things are shaping up nicely.

49995723532_4b00a72018_o.gif

50001597531_0a342a7e0d_o.gif

Just gotta teach them some advanced tactics next week (including the Thach Weave) and it will really start to look like something. At least good enough for a wargame ;)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been following this. Love the Pacific Theater. Crazy enough to have played 2 full pbem campaigns of Gary Grigbsy War in the Pacific that took months to finish playing 2-6 turns a day.

I have Victory At Sea Pacific but it feels unfinished and can’t get into it. Never liked Battlestations Midway.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:50 AM, JG1_GenMarkof007 said:

S! @Amiral_Crapaud

I saw a date on one of the forum post (don't remember where?)... that TFA was coming out soon!
Any date or Q3 or Q4 timeline?
I will be one of the first to purchase it!
It really looks good and the overall interface are looking fun to play!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
=GenMarkof007=

Nope. Better hope for a release in 2021.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1281220/discussions/0/3969311271672530303/

On 8/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Been checking regurarly YouTube and other sources for TFA updates :) Really a day one buy. 

Same here. This game will be a insta buy for me.

By the way, @Amiral_Crapaud did you guys already started with the damage modelling? Would be cool if you provide a few info´s or screenshots.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 3:04 PM, Semor76 said:

Same here. This game will be a insta buy for me.

By the way, @Amiral_Crapaud did you guys already started with the damage modelling? Would be cool if you provide a few info´s or screenshots.

Again, I haven´t seen any infos about the damage modelling. Well, that´s sad but without a propper damage modell for ships & planes = no buy. Sorry.

4 hours ago, Semor76 said:

Again, I haven´t seen any infos about the damage modelling. Well, that´s sad but without a propper damage modell for ships & planes = no buy. Sorry.

I think I remember seeing a post on twitter about ship damage modelling, they were recreating the way the yorktown sunk IIRC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 12:36 PM, LukeFF said:

The whole business of carrier deck operations is described in great detail in Shattered Sword. It really is something how they managed to move all those planes around like that.

Yep

Just read for the second time.

I'm spring-loaded for carrier ops...in the pilot's seat that is.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there guys!
Happy to see you're still following us. Sorry for the silence lately, but I simply didn't want to abuse Jason's kind hospitality. Besides, it's not been all roses & al for some of our colleagues in the times we're going through, but let's say we're still out there, mostly happy & working hard.

A few things to play catch up, if you will.

First of all, we posted a few updates since my last passage:

- A big one on the website

ed8773333945f00a254999b18a1bb9c5a22628d3

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/11/20/legends-fall/

- And a smaller one a few days ago

7e5856c07babfd5e0ccdb51197decbbcea2fd433

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281220/view/2931245981688855529

Lot of stuff going on. If you like them carrier ops, you won't be disappointed. But sorry @Gambit21 we still gotta enjoy it from the Vulture's Row rather than the pilot's seat!

At any rate, allow me to use this opportunity to wish you and all your loved ones, Ladies & Gents, in the name of the team and in my own, the best wishes for 2021. Stay safe, Stay happy, Stay awesome - and above all, stay strong!

Cheers and take good care!

caaf68a29468bbba92a5bb48414db5f3fa6141c7

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Like 6
On 12/27/2020 at 4:59 AM, danielprates said:

Oh my god this thing really looks like it is going foward! I am still somewhat suspicious towards all other titles announced by this reborn Microprose.

In general me too, but keep in mind that Microprose is just the publisher, not the developer. This particular title is looking good.

Don't worry too much about the rest of the line up (including what hasn't been announced just yet). I am happy to say that I scouted myself half of them. Some, like Regiments or Second Front are already so advanced that I cannot really see how they would fail at delivering what they are showing. Don't expect anything like what has been done in the early 1990s, we cannot and we won't re-enact that 1:1 - but we dev teams are all feeling intimately connected to the legacy of what MPS stood for and there's a bit of this in all our games, in a different fashion each time.

As for myself, I am making sure that my game bible will make for a proper manual too, so I'm trying to get this MPS angle covered too, but there's still a long road ahead of us, and we will be happy and honored to trek it in your company.

Cheers everybody!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there ladies & gents!

It ain't much, but here is the digest of our latest entries over the last few weeks. Work being done on the texture of USS Hornet, and some attempt at making the vegetation look acceptable at ground level. We won't go much further than that - we're making a wargame, not a combat sim like Il-2, so we can dispense with quantum palm trees - but as long as they more or so look the act, it's all fine!

(beware, the Japanese cruiser was pasted on the original picture to see how the scenery would fit, and we're applying filters to try to catch the mood)

Cheers! And enjoy your Sunday!

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1341415016910622722

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1345376047412334592

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1347904063266963459

Ep2p1RvXEAAGUgq.jpg

Ep2p13jXYAENVgr.jpg

EquSK3hVoAMqEfM.jpg

EquSLU6VgAETo8H.jpg

EquSMpMVoAAdSQd.jpg

EquSNGXVkAAVknZ.jpg

ErS1gqcVgAA8LwS.jpg

ErS3HsWUcAER91J.jpg