Sokol1

"Task Force Admiral" - WW II carriers RTS.

22 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

Will there be a Mk13 reliability slider in Settings? :) 

Well probably not an actual slider - it's no DCS ^^ - but I expect us to have a flawless friendly torpedo (or ammunition) on/off switch. Should activate/de-activate risk for friendly duds over the board (including, if not mostly Mk13s & Mk14s, but also naval shells). In this regard, no need to improve on what Silent Service 2 was proposing already 30 years ago :)

S! 

Reminds me of the old MicroProse game 1942 Pacific Air War. Still have the original box and all. This one seems to be a day one buy as well. Impressive work! 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Flanker!

I don't know if the current LLv34 has any history or link with the former EAW LLv34 (in the days of LLv34_Doc, Nattulv, Blaukreuz & all), but reading this tag again makes me remember about these days where they were the Experten kids on the block - obviously the tradition of this squadron and your reference to PAW also means that you're probably no puppy yourself, so it's always pleasant to be praised by a fine connaisseur 😁

Regarding the game proper, well... Here's some more eye candy - if you can call eye-candy the unbearable suffering of a TBD trying to painfully climb above some mountain lugging a 1-ton torpedo under its belly. Poor thing!
(and yes, there should be only 2 guys in a torpedo TBD vs a bombing mission, this will be corrected in time - until then, enjoy the scenery ^^)
Of course, the ground is also heavily work in progress. Looks better from a higher altitude, but we'll get there, eventually.

S! everybody

122e2ea0ea10fa3f67c6c217b91ac950675a6c29

97c546ec6e9e500acfe5737468db1f9f3bc607ef

07cb7a7365dcaa4e451d3bd4fe88a4860411c380

e94a69d0637b974ecd19d843ede4011746375856

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

S!

@Amiral_Crapaud The same LLv34 from EAW it is 😃 Later also Aces High, and original IL-2. Lately migrated to BoX, but in a lesser extent. I started my gaming in 1984 on a C64, so not  really a youngling anymore 😜 EAW, PAW + extensions still on shelf. That is why your title is of interest, reminds PAW so much!

• Like 2

As a PTO guy myself...this looks very good.

I can see the potential for a lot of entertaining “what-if” scenarios here.

Solomons please. :)

• Like 1

Ahoy everyone!

No screens today - here's a little video update, for a change. A fresh compilation of the few reels we have been showing over the course of the last 15 days. We'll prepare a dev update and make a longer video ASAP, but life IRL as usual has the doubtful talent of putting itself in the way, with the unpleasant idea that there might be, from time to time, more important things in life than developing & showing the game. Nonsense! But we have to abide for the sake of it, sometimes 😥 😁

Anyway, I know these are rough times for some of you who expected PTO to feature in the new Il-2 issue. But I'll tell you, since Ive been involved in the production of my own game, I have seen how much one has to take into account external constraints when designing such a product. In that regard, the difficulties and pressure we encounter here at DDG are nowhere close to the sort of challenge Jason and his team have been describing, and have to face every single day of their production and development cycle. We are not designing a flight simulator (for those who aren't aware of that yet), this is simply a WW2 PTO real-time wargame, so it is not going to cast any sort of shadow on Il-2 nor replace it in our hearts - but please take it as a token of sympathy, some sort of sweet placebo you might enjoy while waiting for our favorite simulation to tackle the era and the theater once for all. In the meantime, please be nice to Jason & the boys and show some understanding for their ordeal, and we'll make sure to provide you with your humble PTO fix until the Real Thing 💗

S! everybody & enjoy

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
grammmmmmar
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Wow this is looking great. It's nice to see the little details such as the dive flaps and the bomb swing arm to throw it over the prop. The explosion effects look great; if this is early stages your doing really good.

• Like 1

Still trying to be a bit artsy, this time in the fading light of a December sunset. Wonder where these guys are heading to, seems fishy to me...

MqaS9EFc69rspuyvoBk3TmeaOV3eu0RHeGlx0FLa

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thank you Pat, thank you Flanker :)
At any rate, everybody please have a fine, peaceful and spiritual Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day 💗

sgg7vRqx-yeW1_joOKu3EK02ozPkrHFKhSS0NjW8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you Flanker!

Well, as you can see below we're getting ready too ^^

unknown.png

I will send some more content over the next few days. It's not that news have been slow, but I am to blame - my day job only leaves me with so little time to actually make good use of the nice stuff the rest of the team produces nearly on a daily basis.

In the meantime, everybody take good care :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

What better way to end the year than spending it watching a sunset hand in hand with a nice girl?

Now with sound and light reflections! :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I not seen this. Is it a first person combat flight sim or strategy game. Looks awesome

Luse, strategy. 

Thank you for your kindness people! Keep 'em coming nice things, they're our fuel, literally ;)

Some new stuff for those of you living far away from them evil social networks.

Here is a very early, first look at what the air ops planner might look like (the panel and the AI managing the flight deck after your directives, launching & recovering). So far so good, the computer is very proficient at keeping the flight deck open for business, even when the human player is being, well, human (and as such not very stable in his/her choices ^^)

ENwu-HlU8AABbIY.png

ENwu-H3UUAEfncX.png

ENwu-HoUcAUfcum.png

A few ships came along too, with USS Northampton, HMNZS Leander & Japanese auxiliaries joining the roster

ENcdiFIUwAACHXp.png

ENcdiFIUEAApMRW.png

ENcdiFHUEAEu0Wa.png

ENcdiFIU8AAdaRC.png

LEANDER_2.png

LEANDER_1.png

LEANDER_3.png

LEANDER_4.png

EN2VG9hU8AImZx_.png

EN2VG9eUcAMG-Iu.png

EN2VHAUUUAEUdFt.png

EN2VG9fU0AA4uq6.png

And, last but not least, some fine astronomical experiments. We needed to make sure that the Sun & the Moon both were always where they're supposed to be at anytime, any day.

* Tweaking the celestial sphere in-engine ☑️
* Loc & time: Kuala Lumpur 26.12.2019 around 7:10 AM UTC ☑️
* Eclipse looks more or less like the real thing, Sun & Moon OK ☑️
* Not awaking Cthulhu on the astral plane just yet with our dark shenanigans ☑️

Of course, it might not be as spectacular as a bunch of SBDs warming up on a flight deck, but when time comes your pixel pilots will be happy to have reliable astronomical objects to rely on!
Next stage: we still have to lit up the night sky with the proper stars, and we will be all set...😇

(simulations courtesy of NASA & www.timeanddate.com)

EN7djuTVUAAzFDn.png

EN7djuJU0AUJaAz.png

EN7djuPUUAAFWmq.png

That is all for this small update, Ladies & Gents. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend :)

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
Twitter pics unavailable to non-twitter users
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

S! 

Very nice update indeed! Attention to detail is great. Best of luck reaching the next milestones towards the release. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks! But you were among the lucky ones it seems Flanker ;)
Apparently there was trouble with the pics for anybody who doesn't use Twitter - it's fixed now, hopefully? 😅

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud

S! 

I do not use Twitter or Facebook or similar and had no trouble viewing the pictures. 

• Like 1

Hello there, ladies & gents!

We made a small dev update just now.

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/01/28/wallabies-in-the-year-of-the-rat/

Naturally, nothing very new for anyone who's been following the project so far, but there's some more context for those who might be interested in knowing more.

In the meantime, enjoy the show :)

Cheers

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Anybody still interested? Yes? Good! Here are a few screenshots 😘

First of all, our new weather model, which allows for localized rain squalls, the likes of which saved Zuikaku from a pounding at Coral Sea, or Enterprise from extermination at Santa Cruz. You will be allowed to use them too, but it works both ways...

Here, you can see them in action on the larger map. Blue areas are the ones where a set of conditions make rain happen - of course it changes dynamically, and the weather can be radically different 100 miles away. It's your job to make sure that the weather Gods will favor you more than they harm you...

8fbd599efcdfbfc0fd5d51217a97ddedea7a1698

0d6257b721ed0845d21a351db81e5e8f3e7037f4

And here's a view of how it looks like from under it:

95c662ebce6133095d42e1cc272e645dac15a946

479fc25bf4b584a75f3f1c614b461944dc2e6e9e

746e7db7dc7cc82ffe76657054f7994b1393fd14

ecf894113269dfb1ab33962c9e5f437e015a17a8

Cloud cover will have an actual role in gameplay - as you can see here, it can very efficiently hide ships away from the sky. Your planes might very well miss the enemy - but in absence of a working radar, if communications are down or not an option, and if the Z/B system is non-operational for a reason or another, then your planes could very well miss you too...! They might have to pray for a little opening at the right spot in the cloud cover, just like here:

a1522f3bdcaa320819048a0002a5411752b815a2

Of course, the same rules apply whenever you'll be trying to get something done at night. Night ops are not impossible, nor forbidden, but try your luck at your own risk. Taking off in the darkness is already a difficult, yet necessary exercise when a dawn strike requires it - but bombing by moonlight in on a whole different level! Yet, it did happen...

4c2d92b6981641cbab6a1fa1b4de70ed48e2a7bb

6e570fc90930b205e6647ba35885d4bdf9d0eab4

93f433e67b6c795c7ef0a426010fee25e8010982

8a9ad8d057ee41a467288f0fb5e3843ad28d3f8b

Arguably, nothing out of the ordinary or super impressive for flight-simmers, but I can tell you - the Wargamer crowd will appreciate!

Finally, a sneak peek at something that comes a bit closer to gameplay, for a change.

49501668756_62a5bfebcb_o.gif

This one prototype shows how the game dimensions interact with each other. It is our early experiment at an interactive Command Post/Map/3D world integration. It is certainly no Radio Commander just yet of course, but it is a first step! Very work in progress, as it is.

At any rate, as you can see, the transition is smooth. Switching from a mode to another one doesn't seem to impact performance in any way. As these instances already exist in-game permanently, they don't need to be generated along the way, making the whole process feel rather natural and self-explanatory (well, that's the feeling I have of course, but I am a bit biased - don't hesitate to tell me if I am wrong!).

Of course, static 2D & full 3D visualization modes will be available too - you will just have to click the relevant button on the toolbar to activate them (more on that later...).

There, there... Hopefully this will quench your thirst for PTO somewhat - you don't get to fly the planes, but at least you'll get to see the clouds ^^
As always, thanks for reading these updates - and thanks to the Il-2 management for allowing me to post them at all ❤️
See you around for the next update - and in the meantime, take good care :)

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

This is looking super impressive I have to say! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Amiral_Crapaud said:

-Snip-

Stunning! Impressive shots. You guys rock it! Really looking forward to the release.

But I hope you can do something against the sky banding at night. It´looks horrible and doesen´t fit to the rest of quality.

Greets

S! 

Really impressive! Dynamic weather really adds a lot. Keep the updates coming :)

Just superb !

Je n'imaginais pas au départ que vous tendiez vers un rendu aussi chiadé, super aguichant ! Bravo les gars !!

Thank you/Merci everybody for the nice comments ;)

There you go, with a few shots of our new Zero model to end this weekend in beauty!

A6M2_21_2.png

A6M2_21_3.png

A6M2_21_5.png

A6M2_21_7.png

A6M2_21_8.png

Naturally it is still a far cry away from the level of detail you find in BoX, but for a wargame these will do. No need to cry about the grey tones we chose for the Zeke, the lighting in the render program doesn't give it justice - and these have just been normal mapped, we still need to give them actual historical skins. The "amber grey" stuff will come in due time, fear not. ;)

The Rufe is getting along pretty well too.

A6M2_N_2.png

A6M2_N_3.png

A6M2_N_8.png

But I hope you can do something against the sky banding at night. It´looks horrible and doesen´t fit to the rest of quality.

Oh well, these are 150k JPG pictures, you can expect some compression loss along the way of course ^^ I assure you, this doesn't appear so obviously while in-game.

Cheers :)

Edited by Amiral_Crapaud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Very impressive. 

I'm ready to preorder!