spudkopf

Bf109G14 official 4k Skins historically corrected

Sorry for the delay, but please now find below the historic versions of the official default BF109G14 skins

As a little extra, and just because I became kind of fond of it, I have included an additional default skin (bf109G14_) which is matched to that of the original 2k version with all it's wear and tear lovingly restored, to use this skin just remove the underscore (_) and place it into the textures folder..

Spoiler

G14Hist2.thumb.jpg.dff7f9abd3db033c032b88b34d5a5a8f.jpg

G14Hist1.thumb.jpg.cd0f1331aa895d19c0eacc9375e2c53d.jpg

G14Hist3.thumb.jpg.154df3222c5aa436aa162bae7d004b38.jpg

bf109G14.dds

bf109G14_.dds

bf109G14_skin_01.zip Fixed (yet again) 101019 18:27 AU time, just refused to upload as a DDs so I zipped it, makes it smaller anyway..
bf109G14_skin_04.dds (this skin has no Haken, so need to provide a replacement)
bf109G14_skin_08.dds (this skin has no Haken, so need to provide a replacement)

Update!

I've reworked the wing wave for the Alternative default skin (bf109G14_.dds), which duplicates the battered appearance of the old 2K default skin. As withe the previous alternative you'll need to rename it to bf109G14.dds if you want to use it as the default. 

Spoiler

1877139680_altdef1.thumb.jpg.b6b81f42aa2716b83320afe6437ba8e3.jpg

903672289_altdef2.thumb.jpg.733dcc3e260fc44d89b4fbdf28984060.jpg

bf109G14_2.dds

PS for DB605 I made the the RLM 66 a  little darker

Default = \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\target folder\Textures\?????.dds

Others = \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\target folder\?????_skin_*.dds

Target folder = bf109g14

Make sure mods is checked and as usual any problems just let me know.

Enjoy

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

For the FW 190 A3 look :

The Fw190A3 has been given a 4k overhaul by ICDP since then.

6 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Thank you every time !!
waiting for FW190A3

Fw190A3 will be next!

7 hours ago, namhee2 said:

Wonderful, but where ist Skin 08?

Skins 08 and 04 are skins for Axis aircraft which do not have Hakens, so there’s no need to historically correct them. ;)

Edited by spudkopf
  • Upvote 2

Yo, can someone send me bf109G14_skin_01.dds ? Mediafire says it's generating a new download key every time I try to access it.

Thanks for the skins spudkopf.

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, Frenchy56 said:

Yo, can someone send me bf109G14_skin_01.dds ? Mediafire says it's generating a new download key every time I try to access it.

I’m away from my PC for a few days, but will take a look into it when I get back home.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your work!

Tell me, do I need to select one of the two files (bf109G14.dds & bf109G14_.dds) to be placed in the "Planes" folder? Or both save there at once?

2 hours ago, FoxbatRU said:

Thank you for your work!

Tell me, do I need to select one of the two files (bf109G14.dds & bf109G14_.dds) to be placed in the "Planes" folder? Or both save there at once?

It seems like bf109G14_.dds is the same as bf109G14.dds but the swastika pattern is different. You need to select one, as bf109G14_.dds does not exist in-game.

Edited by Frenchy56
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, Frenchy56 said:

After some frustration the download is now fixed and updated above.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:12 AM, FoxbatRU said:

Thank you for your work!

It is an alternative default based on the original 2k version, I chose to use a solid harken as I just liked it better for this skin, to use it as the default you will need to rename it to bf109G14.dds or just copy it into the skins directory as is and select it from the custom skins.

Note that I may rework the overly aggressive leading edge wave and I may to a mor historic representation and reload it as an additional skin.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, spudkopf said:

Note that I may rework the overly aggressive leading edge wave and I may to a mor historic representation and reload it as an additional skin.

Cheers

I don't personally think waves are too aggressive, they are just bit too far back on the wing  currently. As the lower tips of the waves were supposed to be almost underside of the wing.

I'll attach pic of Lt Landts K4 for example. Of course there were again different practices between factories and painters.

1-Bf-109K4-11.JG53-(Y1+)-Gunther-Landt-Germany-April-45.jpg

Edited by DB605

1 hour ago, DB605 said:

I don't personally think waves are too aggressive, they are just bit too far back on the wing  currently. As the lower tips of the waves were supposed to be almost underside of the wing.

I'll attach pic of Lt Landts K4 for example. Of course there were again different practices between factories and painters.

1-Bf-109K4-11.JG53-(Y1+)-Gunther-Landt-Germany-April-45.jpg

The mesh geometry of the leading edge is quite complex and so a tad tricky to get right, so this is what I came up with, seen as applied to my personal skin.....

Spoiler

wave1.thumb.jpg.024fb22d1202c04fda74bfe6641a3133.jpg

wave2.thumb.jpg.1c9de5efb0249f291d69ee0839244a82.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spudkopf said:

The mesh geometry of the leading edge is quite complex and so a tad tricky to get right, so this is what I came up with, seen as applied to my personal skin.....

Hide contents

wave1.thumb.jpg.024fb22d1202c04fda74bfe6641a3133.jpg

wave2.thumb.jpg.1c9de5efb0249f291d69ee0839244a82.jpg

Looks really good now :) Great job!

Another thing i would suggest is maybe darken to Erla haube paint a bit, as RLM 66 was quite dark IRL. But that's just my personal preference.

Edited by DB605

Alternative default with reworked leading edge waves see link in first post.

Spoiler

1877139680_altdef1.thumb.jpg.b6b81f42aa2716b83320afe6437ba8e3.jpg

903672289_altdef2.thumb.jpg.733dcc3e260fc44d89b4fbdf28984060.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the update!

Edited by Yankee_One

On 9/15/2019 at 8:39 PM, spudkopf said:

After some frustration the download is now fixed and updated above.

Hi @spudkopf, 

The skin 01 MediaFire download link seems to be broken again.

And thanks for your efforts in making these skins historically correct.

5 hours ago, ROTER_BART said:

Hi @spudkopf, 

The skin 01 MediaFire download link seems to be broken again.

And thanks for your efforts in making these skins historically correct.

Thanks for the info, I’m away from home again (sadly a weekly occurrence) but will fix it soon, oh thanks for the tanks to.

Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spudkopf said:

Thanks for the info, I’m away from home again (sadly a weekly occurrence) but will fix it soon, oh thanks for the tanks to.

Cheers

Can you please do a version of the “Schlegel” skin without the Squadron emblem on the nose when you are back? If not, can you please tell me if you extract the skins from the game or just simply remake them?

One last thing: do you plan on doing the historically corrected versions of allied planes with kill markings too? 

Edited by Newtz_Hartmann

G'day

First things first the 01 file just refused to upload as a DDs so I've zipped it, makes the download smaller anyway, you can grab it up the top or here :bf109G14_skin_01.zip

2 hours ago, Newtz_Hartmann said:

Can you please do a version of the “Schlegel” skin without the Squadron emblem on the nose when you are back? If not, can you please tell me if you extract the skins from the game or just simply remake them?

One last thing: do you plan on doing the historically corrected versions of allied planes with kill markings too? 

As you can see I just got home, but have to go out to the volunteer fire brigade for training this evening, so I will not have a chance to look into your requests until tomorrow at the earliest, so stay tuned.

But to answer to your question regarding the method: I extract the skins from the game files and then generally remove as much of the faux haken as I need to give myself a blank slate with the use of the clone tool, after which I then import a custom vector from Illustrator as this gives me the sharpest detail. This is followed by some more cloning to try and make it look like it was always there. To finish off I then use rivet, dirt, chip, etc layers from the official templates to help further blend the haken back into the skin, occasionally I'll also using details like overspray, chipping, etc which I'll lift from the original faux haken when necessary, there may also be some other colour editing,  lile tone, darkness, etc from time to time as well.

It can all tend to be quite a laborious/tedious task at times, but as I do not like the the faux haken (would much prefer a blank tail) I just do it for my own sanity.

Cheers

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, spudkopf said:

G'day

First things first the 01 file just refused to upload as a DDs so I've zipped it, makes the download smaller anyway, you can grab it up the top or here :bf109G14_skin_01.zip

As you can see I just got home, but have to go out to the volunteer fire brigade for training this evening, so I will not have a chance to look into your requests until tomorrow at the earliest, so stay tuned.

But to answer to your question regarding the method: I extract the skins from the game files and then generally remove as much of the faux haken as I need to give myself a blank slate with the use of the clone tool, after which I then import a custom vector from Illustrator as this gives me the sharpest detail. This is followed by some more cloning to try and make it look like it was always there. To finish off I then use rivet, dirt, chip, etc layers from the official templates to help further blend the haken back into the skin, occasionally I'll also using details like overspray, chipping, etc which I'll lift from the original faux haken when necessary, there may also be some other colour editing,  lile tone, darkness, etc from time to time as well.

It can all tend to be quite a laborious/tedious task at times, but as I do not like the the faux haken (would much prefer a blank tail) I just do it for my own sanity.

Cheers

I know what you mean, I can’t stand the German planes with the Faux shaken they give us, it just hurts my brains. Anyway, I think I’ll much prefer to make a new personal skin for each plane, but thank you anyway.

23 hours ago, spudkopf said:

G'day

Thanks for that.

I noticed when unpacking the latest GTP files from the last update that the Bf109G2 & Fw190A5 now have 4k textures for their official skins as well. Do you intend on waving your magic haken creating wand over these skins too?

51 minutes ago, ROTER_BART said:

Thanks for that.

I noticed when unpacking the latest GTP files from the last update that the Bf109G2 & Fw190A5 now have 4k textures for their official skins as well. Do you intend on waving your magic haken creating wand over these skins too?

That's the plan, as always just need to find the time. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Newtz_Hartmann said:

Can you please do a version of the “Schlegel” skin without the Squadron emblem on the nose when you are back?

uhm..... bf109g14_skin_05_no_badge.zip

Spoiler

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.38e3b2a30135a1adeda901cebe21ff95.jpg

Edited by spudkopf

1 hour ago, spudkopf said:

That's the plan, as always just need to find the time. 

Excellent! I really appreciate your efforts.

Cheers.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:23 AM, spudkopf said:

uhm..... bf109g14_skin_05_no_badge.zip

Hide contents

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.38e3b2a30135a1adeda901cebe21ff95.jpg

Thank you so much my man! Really appreciate it. Just only one more doubt, is there a way to edit other user made skins so I don’t have to ask like I just did and do it myself? Again, thank you so much! 

2 hours ago, Newtz_Hartmann said:

Thank you so much my man! Really appreciate it. Just only one more doubt, is there a way to edit other user made skins so I don’t have to ask like I just did and do it myself? Again, thank you so much! 

All depends on what software you use?

If you use Photoshop as I do, then download and install the plugin from NVIDIA, this will then allow you to open, edit and re-save the .dds formatted files, you can download this plugin this linkNVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop. (although it is not stated as such on the page, it will also work with CC)

If you use gimp, then you'll need to ask somebody else what you need to do, however I do believe there are several Gimp related tutorials posted about the forum. 

Lastly to extract the default game skins you will need to use the GTP Archive Extractor, from this link: GTP Archive Extractor for IL-2 Great Battles aka "Battle of Stalingrad" (SAS site)

P.S. I've also done a version of the same skin with the 8 removed, so it's ready for the placing of your own number, if you want it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudkopf said:

All depends on what software you use?

If you use Photoshop as I do, then download and install the plugin from NVIDIA, this will then allow you to open, edit and re-save the .dds formatted files, you can download this plugin this linkNVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop. (although it is not stated as such on the page, it will also work with CC)

If you use gimp, then you'll need to ask somebody else what you need to do, however I do believe there are several Gimp related tutorials posted about the forum. 

Lastly to extract the default game skins you will need to use the GTP Archive Extractor, from this link: GTP Archive Extractor for IL-2 Great Battles aka "Battle of Stalingrad" (SAS site)

P.S. I've also done a version of the same skin with the 8 removed, so it's ready for the placing of your own number, if you want it?

No need for that man, but I do appreciate anyway. Thank you for the insight.