busdriver

So where does the Hurricane fit in the current scheme

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The difference was we learned how to shift our tactics to defeat the Japanese, while the Japanese doggedly stuck to theirs, also not helped by their decisions on fighter design.  

Yep, and when the Zero is considered rather than the George or Ki-61 (since  the Zero was in service until the end) the difference in philosophy was actually more pronounced at war's end rather than early war as I commented above.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, Gambit21 said:

I love how a guy choosing to make a video of the same random, meaningless musings that people type on the boards every day suddenly makes him interesting to some people.

The emptiest vessel sounds loudest.

6 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

so no way to make 10 airplanes that are important enought to represent battle realisticly and are not already in game.

Oh I don't know ;)

I think some of the aircraft in a Malta air campaign would be fascinating. We would also be able to give those early Italian aircraft some love 

Axis

Macchi C.200

Fiat Cr.42

Fiat BR.20

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79

Savoia-Marchetti SM.84 or (CANT Z.506 Airone) 

Allied

Wellington

Martin Maryland

Bistol Benheim

Gladiator

Fairey Swordfish

Hurricane MK I if we get it of course

As for the latter stages we would already have all the aircraft needed and not forgetting  the possibility of carrier operations.

I am of course dreaming, I think we are off the the pacific next.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

That Italy area you have there is 1000kmx1000km, more then double what bobp map area is suposed to be, so no way all that on one map. Also no sim have maps that are not north south oriantation so hard to belive they would go for that strange look by rotating it just to fit Malta.

Well that's embarrassing: not sure when the scale changed because I thought I was being very careful to only drag my pointer to the new local when making my comparison map, but must have accidentally zoomed out while moving across europe.

But as 77.CountZero has pointed out I did get it horribly wrong, so I went back and built a new map making sure this time that it was continuous map so there was no scale difference this time around, turns out it takes more than two BoBp maps to cover the distances I previously posted. So sorry about that.

1746981021_europebig.thumb.jpg.13fc6de64838b17a22f1286214942f56.jpg

1464821726_westmed.thumb.jpg.73aa1d80112d74b2dbb4e40b54ad3187.jpg

As for the SW PTO........................

swpto.thumb.jpg.4c03abe87cbb29ccf1cca3303d6d9f67.jpg

Edited by spudkopf
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, have the devs ever stated their position in regards to scaling down maps?

On 9/6/2019 at 11:06 PM, gn728 said:

PTO guys - you'll be ok if it's not PTO, right? Trust me - I'd be ecstatic, but next up - I don't think so..... 

Sure, I don’t think people would suddenly not buy the next IL2 installment(s) because they didn’t move on to the PTO.

That being said, 1C has a business to run and have to make money. 1C has stated they really want the PTO just as much as the overwhelming majority of their player base. That’s were they’re going to make huge chunk of their profits the quickest. 

Outside of a small group of players, nobody really wants to fly Italian and French aircraft, most of which were terribly outclassed and outmatched by the Luftwaffe, Etc. I’d imagine that’d be an area / campaign to cover down the road when 1C actually develop some medium / heavy bombers.. No point in flying the Italian Campaign if the only aircraft type available are outdated Italian/ French fighters and early model Luftwaffe aircraft. If that’s the case, there’s really no point in IL2 moving away from the current theatre. 

Nothing against those aircraft, but that’d be a huge gamble financially. It would take a long time to recover development costs and make a profit because you’re not going to have the overwhelming majority of players pre-ordering or buying the game initially after release.

Best move is bringing in a few more aircraft types, (Hurricane, Yak-9’s, etc) to hold people over while they’re developing the PTO. 

The great thing about IL2 is it’s not a study level sim like DCS. You don’t have to be 100% on every aspect and detail of Japanese aircraft. They can nail the exterior designs of these aircraft and get pretty close with the flight models, interiors, etc, etc. They’ll make it work just like they have already done on the Eastern Front. It will never be 100% perfect, we all know that’s not possible with these kind of games.. But, it’ll be close enough and will only get better with every update. 

Whatever comes next, I’m sure it will be in a direction that allows 1C to push hard into the PTO (Carriers, Carrier-Ops, ships, Naval Logistics & warfare, etc, etc).

1C really wants the PTO and I’m positive they’re  taking the necessary steps to make this a reality. 

Edited by [TWB]Reagan
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, [TWB]Reagan said:

1C has stated they really want the PTO just as much as the overwhelming majority of their player base.

[no snark or animus implied] Do you have numbers to back that last part of your statement? I'd speculate that the overwhelming majority of the Russian speaking player base wants more Eastern Front. I'd speculate most of the European players want more ETO or something in the MTO. I'm for something that gets the Mosquito included, but I'm buying ANYTHING the Devs build.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, busdriver said:

...but I'm buying ANYTHING the Devs build.

...me too.

Except more Russia. 

Personally I’ll be reading Shattered Sword again soon.

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

That is a great book, right up there with my personal favorites, Lundstrom's two volume First Team. 

31 minutes ago, busdriver said:

That is a great book, right up there with my personal favorites, Lundstrom's two volume First Team. 

I still need to read that those - thanks for the reminder. 

I’m currently making my way through Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank for the 3rd time. It’s excellent.

Fire In the Sky by Eric Bergerud is fantastic  as well.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, 77.CountZero said:

In video from few posts back he dosent say what type of Hurricane or what modifications, but when you see what hurricanes were in east front its easy to guess what type it could be.

If next is Burma dlc or any one that have Hurricanes, why would they then make Hurricane as colletor airplane they would save it for DLC, so to me its more likely that next DLC dont have Hurricanes operating over it, as we can use them on Moscow and Stalingrad campaigns and if all goes well on Leningrad map build by players from Finland.

I see youbitubers already speculating on what could be next, France or Sicily is this guys guess, but like you can see from video his air history knowledge is extremely poor so no supprise hes so wrong 😄

As excited as some in the community would be, Burma is not a WWII theatre that grabs attention so yeah, Hurricane being a Collector Plane doesn't really play into that. I was being facetious if you were referencing my comments :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

I'm for something that gets the Mosquito included, but I'm buying ANYTHING the Devs build.

Ha! the RAAF had mossies in the PTO, replacing the A20 and some of the Beaufighters Squadrons towards the end, don't think they saw much if any actual fighting though :P

2 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Fire In the Sky by Eric Bergerud is fantastic  as well.

'Shattered Sword' was excellent, as well as the two 'First Team'  books from Lundstrom. Compared to these I thought 'Fire in the Sky' was ... meh. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, [TWB]Reagan said:
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, gn728 said:

PTO guys - you'll be ok if it's not PTO, right? Trust me - I'd be ecstatic, but next up - I don't think so..... 

Sure, I don’t think people would suddenly not buy the next IL2 installment(s) because they didn’t move on to the PTO.

Yaaaah - I don't think the PTOs up next, but that from me was maybe a bit flippant. Moral of that story - late at night, a couple of Milagro's in maybe don't post.

You guys make of this what you will - some validity, or call total BS . that's fine - this is a place of open debate/opinion - I'm not thinned skinned

The PTO was delayed because of research problems with the Japanese AC we were told. I haven't seen anything officially hinting that that has changed. Combine that with the last DD telling the story of how difficult the Tempest was, based on research, that it seemed almost a near run thing - and that's on an AC they had committed to.

I think what's up next is Normandy, because the plane set is  more accessible. If it's the PTO I'll be the happiest camper on earth - either way, with these guys I'm in

And yes, lol, I have zero knowledge of what's up next......  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JG4_dingsda said:

'Shattered Sword' was excellent, as well as the two 'First Team'  books from Lundstrom. Compared to these I thought 'Fire in the Sky' was ... meh.

That was my take as well, it took me three attempts to get into it. It wasn't bad, just a different writing style for a grand survey compared to the others.

43 minutes ago, spudkopf said:

Ha! the RAAF had mossies in the PTO, replacing the A20 and some of the Beaufighters Squadrons towards the end, don't think they saw much if any actual fighting though

Indeed, but how do they model the glue breaking down and spontaneous structural failures? ;)

• Upvote 1

Whatever ends up being next, all I know for sure is that I won't be buying another eastern front expansion.

If that's the way they go, I hope it sells well to fund further development, but I'm done with Russia.

27 minutes ago, JG4_dingsda said:

'Shattered Sword' was excellent, as well as the two 'First Team'  books from Lundstrom. Compared to these I thought 'Fire in the Sky' was ... meh. :ph34r:

Your opinion - but Fire in the Sky was different kind of book.

Although I still need to read First Team ;)

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, [TWB]Reagan said:

Outside of a small group of players, nobody really wants to fly Italian and French aircraft, most of which were terribly outclassed and outmatched by the Luftwaffe,

If you mean italian plane in 1940 of course you are right.....but in a scenario like invasion of Italy 1943-45, the allied  had to face agianst serie 5 Italian planes:

Mc 205

G 55

Re 2002-2005

These planes were wanderdul machines,

and allied pilots had a lot of respect for them..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Oh I don't know ;)

I think some of the aircraft in a Malta air campaign would be fascinating. We would also be able to give those early Italian aircraft some love 

Axis

Macchi C.200

Fiat Cr.42

Fiat BR.20

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79

Savoia-Marchetti SM.84 or (CANT Z.506 Airone) 

Regardless of campaign, I would love to see all of those in-game. The CR.42 and SM.79 in particular would be wonderful choices considering that they were used by Italy throughout the entirety of the war. They also both hold the distinction of turning up on the Eastern front as well, being used by Hungary and Romania respectively. (Albeit in the Sparviero's case, it was as the noticeably different SM.79B.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Whatever ends up being next, all I know for sure is that I won't be buying another eastern front expansion.

If that's the way they go, I hope it sells well to fund further development, but I'm done with Russia.

In the old IL 1946 there were some nice 'east of Berlin' and Polish area maps i think, would like to see that here.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Your opinion - but Fire in the Sky was different kind of book.

Although I still need to read First Team ;)

Shattered Sword was excellent, I read it for the first time this summer. PTO is fine by me.

But how to get the necessary Japanese data for the aircraft? No idea.

1 hour ago, ITAF_Rani said:

If you mean italian plane in 1940 of course you are right.....but in a scenario like invasion of Italy 1943-45, the allied  had to face agianst serie 5 Italian planes:

Mc 205

G 55

Re 2002-2005

These planes were wanderdul machines,

and allied pilots had a lot of respect for them..

Don't get me wrong, I’d love to see all of those aircraft and then some. The Invasion of Italy would be a cool area to cover.. Especially with more twin engine, (and one day 4 engine) bombers.

There are lots of fantastic aircraft and theaters of operations to cover. Each area of operation having really cool aircraft, terrain/locations,  ground vehicles and everything that goes along with it. 

Regardless of where they go, I’ll still be excited to buy their products and enjoy the game. 

Hoping for the Mossie as well. Along with aircraft like the A-26 Invader, Do-17, Ju-188, Me-410, etc, etc.. 

I’m sure one day we will have tons of aircraft from every theatre.. Regardless, whatever is announced next will be another exciting time for all of us who enjoy this sim. 

1 hour ago, [TWB]Reagan said:

Regardless, whatever is announced next will be another exciting time for all of us who enjoy this sim. 

Sure....😉

• Haha 1

Thouse late war Italian fighters are realy good, they were popular in old 1946, speed, manoverability and good guns only cockpit view was not so good compared to 190s for example.

3 hours ago, J2-Oelmann said:

Wouldn't the Hurricane fit into a Burma-Campaign? As well as the Spitfire?

Yes it would in later timeline, but why would they then make it collectable if Burma is next DLC, you would then have it for main DLC and make some other airplane collectable.

My logic is you dont make British airplane collectable if next DLC have British airplanes, so that leaves east front, PTO with americans vs japan, or Korea and as other collectable airplane is Russian one, it leves only PTO as you would have yaks and Brits in Korea, Brits in Normandy, Italy, France, Norway ... so to me its no worry that next is PTO.

Also every collector airplane they anounced and made before was collector airplane that fits DLC already in game, not planed for future DLCs, and both Yak-9s and Hurri fit DLCs already in game falowing same principal as before when collector airplanes are anounced. And dont forghet future 100km incress in distance of ship wakes and contrails, PTO is coming to town :) 

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 3:56 AM, J2_Trupobaw said:

In Allied corner, I give you (so many to choose from)
Curtiss Hawk 
M.S.406
Hurricane Mk.I as bonus plane

In Axis corner, we can have
Dornier 17
Fiat G.50?

Yes, please :)

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:
On 9/5/2019 at 3:56 AM, J2_Trupobaw said:

In Allied corner, I give you (so many to choose from)
Curtiss Hawk 
M.S.406
Hurricane Mk.I as bonus plane

In Axis corner, we can have
Dornier 17
Fiat G.50?

1 hour ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Yes, please :)

New achievement for player one:

Finnish Air Force is now available

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I'm reading through it for the first time. Man, I wish all military history books could be written this well. Also liked the remark about how the reader is advised to "pour a tall glass of spirits" before delving into the details of the operation. 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I'm reading through it for the first time. Man, I wish all military history books could be written this well. Also liked the remark about how the reader is advised to "pour a tall glass of spirits" before delving into the details of the operation. 😄

It is definitely that kind of book. :)

I happen to be reading it at the moment too.   Really well written and very hard to put down.  

I read it for the first time earlier this year.

Truly amazing in it's depth of detail, and still able to illuminate the human side, and costs, of the Battle.

Of course you realize that we will need the B26 as part of the flyable aircraft list.

• Like 1

I wanted to say a quick “thanks” to everyone who is making book recommendations. I love the ability to fly overlooked birds in IL2 BOX (including, hopefully, a later Hurricane model), and reading about their operations just adds to the experience.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:18 PM, busdriver said:

I was just about to buy them and was wondering if they were worth it. I've read Shattered Sword and actually did not think it is good as others have.

In Reno at the air races now.

I got to spend a lot of time with this Zero yesterday. Hung out late talking with the pilot.

F36CCAFA-1AD4-42C1-8009-FD38B297EC21.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I got to spend a lot of time with this Zero yesterday. Hung out late talking with the pilot.

You luky BTRD 😃

8 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Can't tell from the picture. That's the real one, not an AT-6 lookalike?

Lol - no it’s a Zeke.

I wouldn’t be posting about a Zeke if I was standing next to a Texan.