Jump to content
busdriver

So where does the Hurricane fit in the current scheme

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

 

Do you have a source link for that? I'd be interested in it.

 

Not a specific answer to your question. The following pages are from Butler & Hagedorn's Air Arsenal North America. I skipped the pages with only photos, there is an argument to be made for the A-20G. ;) The last two pages in this sequence are Hurricane specific serials.

 

1079658431_RussianProtocols_1_resize.thumb.JPG.669bcc895a75ab3aaab7cb999b5f7d86.JPG63255716_RussianProtocols_2_resize.thumb.JPG.a5213b0f2ae4905bc08c8088fbed7573.JPG1010511447_RussianProtocols_3_resize.thumb.JPG.5a0734e740e8237e397abe485bc530fb.JPG269831604_RussianProtocols_4_resize.thumb.JPG.48223b80a6b6325ae348d6427e40345d.JPG132842086_RussianProtocols_5_resize.thumb.JPG.9ce76561d56ec79e3e3cae4039b62182.JPG1849318993_RussianProtocols_6_resize.thumb.JPG.5ab7f2902f763ccdaffa241faf9eb43d.JPG966845569_RussianProtocols_7_resize.thumb.JPG.91ba74a5eae692b653d29ec8da526926.JPG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cpt_Cool said:

 

It is said that verity is the spice of life. And almost certainly far more profitable then another eastern front module.

 

 

The Hurricane and Yak-9's are just parting gifts as 1C moves to the PTO ;)

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, [TWB]Reagan said:

 

 

The Hurricane and Yak-9's are just parting gifts as 1C moves to the PTO ;)

 

The hurricane may well fit in parts of the PTO. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PTO guys - you'll be ok if it's not PTO, right? Trust me - I'd be ecstatic, but next up - I don't think so..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, [TWB]Reagan said:

 

 

The Hurricane and Yak-9's are just parting gifts as 1C moves to the PTO ;)

I think the same, one russian airplane was predictable as we are coming from bodenplatte, but british one also, that can mean next dlc dont have british ones and russian ones so you give them as collectables, and that can only mean its Midway next :) You would not go for british collector airplane if next dlc have british airplanes, it would not make any sence.

4 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

 

Do you have a source link for that? I'd be interested in it.

https://vvsairwar.com/2018/06/20/the-soviet-unions-hawker-hurricanes/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gn728 said:

PTO guys - you'll be ok if it's not PTO, right? Trust me - I'd be ecstatic, but next up - I don't think so..... 

 

...he said based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

 

...he said based on no knowledge whatsoever.

You're right no knowledge, hunch  - just like everyone else except the people who work there.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gn728 said:

You're right no knowledge, hunch  - just like everyone else except the people who work there.....

I have this friend who's brother knows a squad mate who posts on the forum who talked to a guy that read somewhere that someone thought that but then I realized I was that someone and I didn't know s***. 😊

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 6:01 AM, BraveSirRobin said:

I would absolutely buy a BoX/GB version of BoB.

 

Side liner: In Holland the BoB is the one who stays sober on a joint venture going off to the pub:

 

bob.jpg

 

Doesn't work always; this one was run over by a drunk ....

 

bob 2.jpg

 

Edited by jollyjack
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Avimimus said:

So 5 modifications:

- Rockets

- Bombs

- IIA (8x303)

- IIB (12x303)

- IIC (4x20mm)

- ??IID (2x40mm)??

- 4xUB

- 2xShVAK & 2xUB

- 2xShVAK & 2xUB & 4x303

- Lightened (6x303 OR 2xUB or 2xShVAK)

- Rear gunner

- Mirrors?

 

Clearly, we shouldn't get too excited...

 

That said, I am hoping for a more lightly armed field mod as one of the options (4xUB or 2xUB) to help with dogfighting! The most heavily armed variant (2xShVAK, 2xUB, 4x303, 6xRS-82) would also be valuable as a Sturmovik!

 

You forgot the coolest of them all:

 

The Hurricat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship#/media/File:Hawker_Hurricane_launched_from_CAM_ship_c1941.jpg

 

 

Muahaha.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit, that two seater artillery spotter would be hilarious fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

I think the same, one russian airplane was predictable as we are coming from bodenplatte, but british one also, that can mean next dlc dont have british ones and russian ones so you give them as collectables, and that can only mean its Midway next :) You would not go for british collector airplane if next dlc have british airplanes, it would not make any sence.

https://vvsairwar.com/2018/06/20/the-soviet-unions-hawker-hurricanes/

 

I mean of the video of Daniel. I thought you were referencing a video.

7 hours ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

 

The hurricane may well fit in parts of the PTO. :)

 

That's a fair point. The Hurricane flew in Burma almost to the end.

 

Pacific confirmed! 😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I have to admit, that two seater artillery spotter would be hilarious fun.

 

Especially if TC and FC lead to improved modelling of artillery/spotting gameplay... a battery is a lot of firepower for one plane! Good for the U2, and some other aircraft (Fi-156? Fw-189, Pe-3??? - not sure about the last two as they might have been mainly photorecon?)

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

 

You forgot the coolest of them all:

 

The Hurricat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship#/media/File:Hawker_Hurricane_launched_from_CAM_ship_c1941.jpg

 

 

Muahaha.

 

If they ever did an FC vol 8 with the WWI equivalents...! Actually, come to think of it - catapult launched aircraft spotting for naval artillery could be a great deal of fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

 

I mean of the video of Daniel. I thought you were referencing a video.

 

That's a fair point. The Hurricane flew in Burma almost to the end.

 

Pacific confirmed! 😄

 

In video from few posts back he dosent say what type of Hurricane or what modifications, but when you see what hurricanes were in east front its easy to guess what type it could be.

If next is Burma dlc or any one that have Hurricanes, why would they then make Hurricane as colletor airplane they would save it for DLC, so to me its more likely that next DLC dont have Hurricanes operating over it, as we can use them on Moscow and Stalingrad campaigns and if all goes well on Leningrad map build by players from Finland.

 

I see youbitubers already speculating on what could be next, France or Sicily is this guys guess, but like you can see from video his air history knowledge is extremely poor so no supprise hes so wrong 😄

 

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

You would not go for british collector airplane if next dlc have british airplanes, it would not make any sence.

 

Yes that is correct. Also keep in mind that we already have this flag in the game files:

\swf\il2\countries\203 gives you a hint. It contains the following file [flag.big.dds]

 

flag.big.jpg

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sevenless said:

 

Yes that is correct. Also keep in mind that we already have this flag in the game files:

\swf\il2\countries\203 gives you a hint. It contains the following file [flag.big.dds]

 

flag.big.jpg

 

there is more intel we have on forums showing that its Midway, then americans had about it in ww2 before japan attacked 😄

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Remember the NDA.

 

I’m the last person who needs any reminders. I’m speaking of public announcements and common knowledge that indicate otherwise, and him having no knowledge to the contrary. 

Edited by Gambit21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sevenless said:

 

Yes that is correct. Also keep in mind that we already have this flag in the game files:

\swf\il2\countries\203 gives you a hint. It contains the following file [flag.big.dds]

 

flag.big.jpg

 

 

😳

 

Great bit of intel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how a guy choosing to make a video of the same random, meaningless musings that people type on the boards every day suddenly makes him interesting to some people.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You read about Jason's experience with the Tempest and the entire painstaking journey to get what they thought was acceptable data for the sim (previously posted) - you take that into consideration, and then you think about the already known issues about the lack there-of regarding the Japanese aircraft... - then consider that with Bottenplatte it is only the first venture to the west...you can draw your own conclusions whether or not you think a Pacific venture is likely for the very next installment or not, independent of your own personal desires.

 

I will buy anything regardless, without hesitation, as long as it's WWII (and for aircraft, as long as it saw combat service and was seen in reasonable numbers). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still some pilots of these aircraft around though; as well as people who worked on them.  At least for a little while longer.  The window to create an *accurate as is reasonably possible* zero, betty, or val is closing, not opening.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm being Mr Nitpick here but the Hurri didn't fight in the PTO, it fought in CBI/SEA (South East Asia). I know the two theaters are next to each other and have many of the same antagonists but they are nevertheless distinct.
If we get the Hurri (and Yak-9) I'm one of those who feels it'll be a parting gift for the Eastern Front and not indicative of a move to the Asia-Pacific region.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

there is more intel we have on forums showing that its Midway, then americans had about it in ww2 before japan attacked 😄

 

This isn't the only bit of intel confirming that Midway is up next

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all this chat regarding Hurricanes, PTO etc,it got me thinking about an a little map exercise I did a while back, when the BoBp map was first mentioned.

 

I'm not trying to push any agenda here with the following, but just wanted to share the results of my small map experiment and this seemed a semi-appropriate place to do. 

 

First up here is an approximate google map equivalent of the BoBp map:

 

2131328130_bobparea.thumb.jpg.3754fbd854250f6d289acf9d7f4d4b80.jpg

 

Using the same scale are, here's a couple of examples of how quite a substantial chunks of the Eastern Med AO can fit into the same area:

 

BOI1.thumb.jpg.92465da14e3ca053775a0fc7d9648001.jpg

 

BOI2.thumb.jpg.668aee4e850a8d227bf3d23b48adeea8.jpg

 

Using the second map orientation, you can go from Malta (plenty of Hurricane action there) in the south all the way to Northern Italy.

 

Noting that a map for an Italian campaign would also be particularly suitable for expansion of TC title, with much of the key armour already existing.

 

Now then I tried doing the same exercise for the SW PTO, but soon gave up in frustration, because as you can see, the area outlined in red is the equivalent of the area covered by the BoBp map:  

 

96184951_swptomed.thumb.jpg.7884ac1e679a4fe54a376d6285ad217d.jpg

 

Hope I've not digressed to far from the Hurri topic with the above.

 

Yeap most embarrassingly (as was pointed out) I messed up my when making my maps, I must have accidentally zoomed out while moving from one part of europe to the other, so following are the correct Eastern Med and the South West PTO, with grids based on the BoBp map added (needless to say there is a significant difference to what I previously posted.

 

1464821726_westmed.thumb.jpg.73aa1d80112d74b2dbb4e40b54ad3187.jpg

 

swpto.thumb.jpg.4c03abe87cbb29ccf1cca3303d6d9f67.jpg 

  

Edited by spudkopf
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, spudkopf said:

 

Now then I tried doing the same exercise for the SW PTO, but soon gave up in frustration, because as you can see, the area outlined in red is the equivalent of the area covered by the BoBp map:  

 

96184951_swptomed.thumb.jpg.7884ac1e679a4fe54a376d6285ad217d.jpg

 

Hope I've not digressed to far from the Hurri topic with the above.

  

 

If you shift that over a bit you can just about get the Battle of Coral Sea in there.

 

 

Coral_sea.jpg

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose you could have a larger map area for the pacific considering most of the map would be water and so would be less taxing on systems and easier to create as the mapmaker does not have to create cities, roads etc.
However in terms of multiplayer, map distance is still an issue, I'm guessing we are going to need placeable airbases like there were in 1946

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spudkopf said:

 

Now then I tried doing the same exercise for the SW PTO, but soon gave up in frustration, because as you can see, the area outlined in red is the equivalent of the area covered by the BoBp map:  

 

96184951_swptomed.thumb.jpg.7884ac1e679a4fe54a376d6285ad217d.jpg

 

Hope I've not digressed to far from the Hurri topic with the above.

  

 

Half of the km² are water so you should be able to extend that a bit. Would be interesting to do the same taking into account only the size of the land mass.  Unless water is more resource intensive than land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angel24Marin said:

 

Half of the km² are water so you should be able to extend that a bit. Would be interesting to do the same taking into account only the size of the land mass.  Unless water is more resource intensive than land.

 

Also, a lot of the land mass is covered by dull, uninteresting forest (from a modelling point of view, I mean), probably demanding less detail as the repetitiveness stretch for miles unending. That too should ease up map development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spudkopf said:

With all this chat regarding Hurricanes, PTO etc,it got me thinking about an a little map exercise I did a while back, when the BoBp map was first mentioned.

 

I'm not trying to push any agenda here with the following, but just wanted to share the results of my small map experiment and this seemed a semi-appropriate place to do. 

 

First up here is an approximate google map equivalent of the BoBp map:

 

2131328130_bobparea.thumb.jpg.3754fbd854250f6d289acf9d7f4d4b80.jpg

 

Using the same scale are, here's a couple of examples of how quite a substantial chunks of the Eastern Med AO can fit into the same area:

 

BOI1.thumb.jpg.92465da14e3ca053775a0fc7d9648001.jpg

 

BOI2.thumb.jpg.668aee4e850a8d227bf3d23b48adeea8.jpg

 

Using the second map orientation, you can go from Malta (plenty of Hurricane action there) in the south all the way to Northern Italy.

 

Noting that a map for an Italian campaign would also be particularly suitable for expansion of TC title, with much of the key armour already existing.

 

Now then I tried doing the same exercise for the SW PTO, but soon gave up in frustration, because as you can see, the area outlined in red is the equivalent of the area covered by the BoBp map:  

 

96184951_swptomed.thumb.jpg.7884ac1e679a4fe54a376d6285ad217d.jpg

 

Hope I've not digressed to far from the Hurri topic with the above.

  

That Italy area you have there is 1000kmx1000km, more then double what bobp map area is suposed to be, so no way all that on one map. Also no sim have maps that are not north south oriantation so hard to belive they would go for that strange look by rotating it just to fit Malta.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a fabulous place to go next.

 

malta-location-map.thumb.jpg.c71e988d77fe4e71894446a76b0d9951.jpg

 

However, its probably going to be somewhere hot, humid and set in a certain ocean beginning with P.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very glad if we could get a Hurricane from these very talented Devs of IL-2 BOX...….I love the Hurricane, what a beautiful plane it is.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

This would be a fabulous place to go next.

 

malta-location-map.thumb.jpg.c71e988d77fe4e71894446a76b0d9951.jpg

 

However, its probably going to be somewhere hot, humid and set in a certain ocean beginning with P.

I think clod will go there after tobruk. But even if clod did not existed, I find malta one of the most unlikely expansions. Simple fact that one side would have to fly 100km one way just to get to the combat zone feels like a big no. People are already complaining that you have to fly 10min in career before you get to action. In MP you could probably spawn in air but then you have to go back so again 100km. I can already see people staying on Malta until fuel is out and crash land somewhere. 

 

I dont know, I just don't see this kind of scenario or any other similar to this in box. When there was okinawa announced, similar complaints were made, that Japanese will have to fly long way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also you already have most airplanes for Malta DLC in game so no way to make 10 airplanes that are important enought to represent battle realisticly and are not already in game. When you have other better options where you can have 10 airplanes that are not in game to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always comment on that early war, sort of visceral feel that early aircraft lend, that late aircraft lack.

There's just something about them, whether it's the MiG 3, or the Lagg, the i16, the 109E, the P-40, the Oscar, the Zeke or the Wildcat...I just love em.

They don't have that 'world beater' feel, and I like that. Dynamics between these early war aircraft are also much more interesting and fun IMHO.

 

P-51 vs Dora is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's also closer to a jet vs jet energy fight.

I like down in the weeds knife fights.

 

The Hurricane is firmly ensconced in this category and I'm glad it's being added to the roster.

 

  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those early aircraft were designed when people didn't know what aerial warfare in the next war was going to be like.  You had "the bomber will always get through", different attitudes toward tactical vs strategic air forces, there was so much uncertainty everywhere; and when war hit, these countries had to go to war with the air forces they had.  Basically taking a huge gamble that their choices were correct.  As opposed to the end of the war, when they were building their air forces to fit the war they were already in.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also some philosophical differences.

To the Japanese, a fighter was a flying katana, it's pilot a Samurai.

 

To the Americans and British a fighter was a flying gun platform.

This difference was even more pronounced in the early war years.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.  The IJN and IJAAC were steeped in the tradition of the honorable, 1 vs. 1 dogfight.  The US and the Brits were still clinging a bit to that doctrine at the beginning of the war as well.

The difference was we learned how to shift our tactics to defeat the Japanese, while the Japanese doggedly stuck to theirs, also not helped by their decisions on fighter design.  When they did start to come out with more modern, higher performance designs, it was too late, and their industry could not translate their sometimes quite good designs in to reliable aircraft in the numbers necessary, and I'm not even touching on their issues with lack of fuel, thanks to the US submarine campaign against their merchant marine.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...