busdriver

So where does the Hurricane fit in the current scheme

"A number of Hurricanes were used for air defense around Moscow, where the 67th, 429th, 438th, 488th, and 736th IAPs were equipped with the British fighter. The VVS Hurricanes in this sector were engaged both the defense of the Soviet capital and in offensive actions on the Western and Kaliningrad Fronts. In January 1942, several Hurricane-equipped regiments flew in support of the Red Army’s counter offensives outside Moscow, and a number of the Soviet capital’s Hurricanes were transferred to the South-Western Front. "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

The Hurricane Mk I was also used by the Finnish and the Romanians in the opposite side ^^

Spoiler

89ed05736bde1ebcfc40b4858d11d158.jpg

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

The SU received mainly Mk IIb models which not only differed by armament and engine, but also had a completely reworked cooling system for the glycol/water mixture as the Merlin XX generated more heat than previous engines.

I would not hold my breath for both version being modelled in a single collector plane...

@Alexmarine28 Oh I didn't know about the cooling system difference, I guess that puts an end to my hopes of getting a Mk I as mod then 😅 Was the performance much different? I could accept having it in the Axis side on some missions if it isn't that much of a difference in speed/climb. Should be an interesting match against the I-16

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Sad 1

@-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

It depends also on which Mk I the Romanian and Finnish were flying, if they had Merlin II or III equipped Hurricanes, if they had DH or Rotol propellers and if they were using 87 or 100 octane fuel:

A Mk I using a Merlin II, DH propeller and 87 octane fuel was 33mph slower than a Mk Ia with a Merlin III, Rotol propeller and 100 octane fuel for example. On top of that the switch from a Merlin III to a Merlin XX added around 200hp more too...

Edited by Alexmarine28
Format

3 hours ago, Alexmarine28 said:

"A number of Hurricanes were used for air defense around Moscow, where the 67th, 429th, 438th, 488th, and 736th IAPs were equipped with the British fighter. The VVS Hurricanes in this sector were engaged both the defense of the Soviet capital and in offensive actions on the Western and Kaliningrad Fronts. In January 1942, several Hurricane-equipped regiments flew in support of the Red Army’s counter offensives outside Moscow, and a number of the Soviet capital’s Hurricanes were transferred to the South-Western Front. "

Thanks. That pretty much answers it for me. Would be a nice addition to the singleplayer career in BoM.

Pretty much does everything that the LaGG-3 does already.   The Hurricane is such a middle of the road ubiquity that it is the sort of aircraft most people would expect to see as a slightly humdrum default starter-plane.  Not a premium extra.  Bold choice indeed.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The Hurricane is such a middle of the road ubiquity that it is the sort of aircraft most people would expect to see as a slightly humdrum default starter-plane.  Not a premium extra.

So, similar to the U-2 then?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Pretty much does everything that the LaGG-3 does already.   The Hurricane is such a middle of the road ubiquity that it is the sort of aircraft most people would expect to see as a slightly humdrum default starter-plane.  Not a premium extra.  Bold choice indeed.  

But with the performance of an I-16!

29 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The Hurricane is an instant purchase for me, regardless of it's ubiquity. I've been wanting to fly the Hurricane in IL2 for years! I know that there are a great many other British pilots who feel the same.

• Upvote 17

56 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

And Po2 is some op beast to be a premium? I think that's a whole point of premium/collector planes. Just something interesting, it would be even quite bad if best planes would be sold as paid 20$ dlc. Someone who paid for moscow will have same or better planes to fly without need to pay 20$ just to have better plane. I think that's exactly perfect collector plane.

I just hope this "couple" premium planes won't be 100% allied stuff again. That would be 3 allied planes without any axis :cray:(yak 9 and hurricane rummors)

4f2dab1d8e911cf2ad5695dce9d62ef0.jpg

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 3

Also an interesting variant, source: wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/1/0#4 ( Wings Palette)

1_17.jpg

1_8.jpg

Edited by namhee2
  • Haha 5

I'm buying it. Some people just want the überplanes so they can hide their lacks of skill online, what a shame 😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, InProgress said:

And Po2 is some op beast to be a premium?

Not really.  With it's lack of recon, air ambulance, artillery spotting or other key capabilities, plus its dependence on established airfields to operate from, I find the Po-2 is more of an advertisement for incomplete gameplay.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Not really.  With it's lack of recon, air ambulance, artillery spotting or other key capabilities, plus its dependence on established airfields to operate from, I find the Po-2 is more of an advertisement for incomplete gameplay.

Maybe with Li-2, new option for medevac will come. Something i am looking forward to the most, Stalingrad with no evacuation of wounded in ju52 is not Stalingrad :rtfm: I just think they did not really wanted to put a lot of effort into Po2, it was new idea, kind of risky. If it had good sales then i guess all this spotting, ambulance etc. will come one day.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

As far as I’m aware nothing we have can operate from anything other than established airfields with the “sticky terrain” we have in il2?.. Try landing a Po2 in the middle of a random field, if your wheels don’t get stuck on landing and you nose over you certainly are not getting airborne again!  :salute: 

(This was the last time I tried, granted it may have been patched but I don’t remember anyone mentioning it being fixed) 

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

The Hurricane is an instant purchase for me, regardless of it's ubiquity. I've been wanting to fly the Hurricane in IL2 for years! I know that there are a great many other British pilots who feel the same.

Same here, Insta buy for me, the MKII was a decent plane and I hope she's still as stable a gun platform as she is in CloD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leifr said:

Instant purchase indeed!

It's a beautiful plane, it will be fun to fly, and it will be done to a BOX level of quality.

What's not to love? :cool:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It occurs to me that all we really need now are some Blenheims and we can pretty much emulate the summer of 41 where the RAF went on the offensive in northern europe.

redfor we have the Spit V and hurricane II along with a light/medium bomber flying over the channel to attack german airfields and depo's as the luftwaffe did the summer before.

bluefor has the 109E, bf110E and JU87, 88, and HE 111 already, with the BOBP map this will be doable.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

It occurs to me that all we really need now are some Blenheims and we can pretty much emulate the summer of 41 where the RAF went on the offensive in northern europe.

redfor we have the Spit V and hurricane II along with a light/medium bomber flying over the channel to attack german airfields and depo's as the luftwaffe did the summer before.

bluefor has the 109E, bf110E and JU87, 88, and HE 111 already, with the BOBP map this will be doable.

dont.jpg

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

a light/medium bomber

Not strictly used for this purpose, but the RAF did have some a20's on strength in '41 (plus they look very handsome in some of the RAF / Coastal Command skins some of our talent skinners have produced for them...), could be a reasonable stand in?

I think some 'Leaning Forward' missions using the plane set you've described would be flippin' awesome! 

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun

6 minutes ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

Not strictly used for this purpose, but the RAF did have some a20's on strength in '41 (plus they look very handsome in some of the RAF / Coastal Command skins some of our talent skinners have produced for them...), could be a reasonable stand in?

I think some 'Leaning Forward' missions using the plane set you've described would be flippin' awesome! 

Aye, I feel the A20 would likely need to be used in place of the blenheim, though if we get a flyable B25 that would also be a joy.

S!

Finnish Hurricanes had Merlin III engines. Ground crew considered them (engines) not too easy to maintain in field conditions. Pilots regarded it as an easy plane to fly, but it lacked in roll and had poor acceleration due thick wing. 2.5 kills were achieved with the Hurricanes in FiAF. Finns flew against the VVS piloted Hurricanes and considered them as the easiest plane to shoot down from VVS inventory. Very flammable and pilot armor did not stop .50cal bullets used by Brewsters. Also it was not regarded as a very nimble plane, much worse than I-16 for sure. Above 3000m it was better than down on the deck.

Nevertheless if this is a collector plane = a sure buy!

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping that if we get the Hurricane, we will also get a Malta campaign further down the line, as we would have most of the aircraft that we would need already.

120562-World_War_II-military-aircraft-military_aircraft-airplane-spitfire-Supermarine_Spitfire-Royal_Airforce-Malta-Luftwaffe-748x449.jpg.6a04d76875d462adb2d928ea20a4d090.jpg

1a515353e6a39b0245a582394f2ba1fb.thumb.jpg.4bcab1a1d7fd45cbb40ed85bdaeb60f2.jpg    

ea6b45f0827e8fa3f7fac9312e29388d.jpg

Edit: Fingers crossed ;)

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, sevenless said:

Thanks. That pretty much answers it for me. Would be a nice addition to the singleplayer career in BoM.

The early part of the Stalingrad battle in a big way as well. So that's two Career modes that the type fits very nicely into with multiple squadrons represented.

• Upvote 2

VVS is already full of underdogs. No need for yet another "let's get rid of those worn-outs" Lend-Lease machine.

I would rather welcome either a pair of bi-planes I-153+Hs-123 or Romanian IAR-80 as representative of second largest axis air force on eastern front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a little bit confused, are we talking about Dorian, or the plane? The second one doesnt even announced yet.

9 minutes ago, Brano said:

VVS is already full of underdogs. No need for yet another "let's get rid of those worn-outs" Lend-Lease machine.

I would rather welcome either a pair of bi-planes I-153+Hs-123 or Romanian IAR-80 as representative of second largest axis air force on eastern front.

Not really though. With the Soviet Armament (Shvak+UB) Packages and several Bomb Racks, or the 4 20mm (or the 12 .303 MGs) Hispanos in English Service and up to 500kg of Bombs, as well as the later Merlin XX Engine with almost 1500hp while maybe not very quick, it will not be easy Prey for most early German Fighters.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leifr said:

Yeah me too. One of my favourites...It's not the best performer of course l, but there is something about it. I loved flying it in Clod when ignoring issues in that sim, so I'll be welcoming the Hurri here with open arms 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

I'm a little bit confused, are we talking about Dorian, or the plane? The second one doesnt even announced yet.

The next three collector planes are all announced, Yak-9, Yak-9T and Hawker Hurricane.

For those wondering I had a quick check of the pilots notes and it states +12 boost at 3000RPM for takeoff

it shows the combat limit to be 5 mins with +16 at 3000rpm with the cut out pulled.

it shows +12 for all other operation.

the wiki entry states " 1,480 hp (1,105 kW) at 3,000 rpm at 6,000 ft (1,829 m); two-speed supercharger; boost pressure of up to +14 psi; " for the merlin XX and +14 is listed in the pilots notes so i guess we'll see ;)

either way she's not terribly slow.

Yak-9T and Hurricane are buys for me when I get the cash. The Hurri maybe just to fly around and play with - I know its not competitive but I do love the plane. Yak-9T will be fun with the big cannon in the nose. Vanilla Yak-9 isn't too interesting to me, not all that much different than a Yak-7B to my mind.

Hurricane a must have for me... also a Murmansk map would make it a great battle to fight in as well!

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

The next three collector planes are all announced, Yak-9, Yak-9T and Hawker Hurricane.

its just a post.

Disappointing need if it's true. Hurricane might just be a pass for me. I have no interest in it at all. It's too ugly LOL.

Yak 9 looks compelling though.

Where's the axis love?

2 minutes ago, pfrances said:

It's too ugly LOL.

I'm sorry.... WHAT?!

• Upvote 4