HS129 4K TEMPLATE, NORMALMAP AND GENERIC SUMMER SKINS

Dear All

The link below leads to a template, normalmap and set of generic late summer skins for the HS129.

I've tidied up the camouflage mess under the yellow nose. I've introduced a set of general wear and tear layers (the white folder) which should work this time across summer camouflages at least. This is a bit of a compromise to be sure as the pannel lines look a little agricultural on the yellow areas; but I think and hope they'll serve you better than my first release. Notwithstanding, you may find it necessary to adjust the visibility or the colour balance of some of these layers, depending on the skin, but this shouldn't be the work of too many minutes.

Also, please note there are two copies of the anti glare pannel layers, one for a skin with a yellow nose and an anti glare pannel and one for an anti glare pannel without a yellow nose. To complicate matters further, there is a file in the template called Alpha Channels. Turning the top layer on creates glossier camouflage greens for skins without a black glare pannel. Turning the top layer off creates a matt effect for the black glare pannel, if one is included. It might best to copy the appropriate layer/layers onto a separate 4k document, flatten them if necessary and then paste the result into the alpha channels.

Lastly, there are two versions of the Oblt Ruffer skin, historical and otherwise. There are two layers associated with these, one blue "dirt" layer at the top of the stack and one green "fading and discolouration" layer in the paint file. I've left these free standing as they can be used to add a little extra depth to the general wear and tear file. However, if you have all the layers in the General Stains and Weathering turned on and adjusted to taste, you can turn these two floating layers off without  any negative effect.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar7IGhMwh1t_wvcVZTGZHwYGUPMs-A?e=WTGaFP

Thanks to...

DetCord for the long hours spent on the spinners.

ICDP For remedial work on the normalmap

little_guardian for work on the stencils. I hope to include this at a later date.

BlackHellHound for help and suggestions along the way.

Raptorattacker for more help and suggestions along the way. Instrumental!

Everyone who stopped by to add encouragement.

The developers. Such an interesting and enjoyable way to pass the time.

Special thanks to Zargos. This is a reverse engineered 4k version of your work.

Edited by KpgQuop
I've no idea why I forgot the credits
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 3

Excellent work! Details are stunning as they say and normal map is just gorgeous! This was really needed and your work is among the best!

I'm actually ashamed to bring up one small detail... You can see for example the yellow nose through the prop-hole as they are 100% black in alpha-channel and the inside of the spinner is not texture-mapped. No big deal, as you can see it only when the engine is stopped, but I thought you might want to know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the kind words everybody. After you've all been waiting so long, I'm glad youlike the results.

Dear Hanu. Those spinner openings have been an issue for a while now. From a very limited number of angles I thought they looked ok. Strangely enough, there is a hint of texture inside the spinners, but yes,l something needs to be done about them. I was waiting to see if anybody mentioned it and if they did, I'd  fix them. I also need to fix the same problem on the necelles and on the gondola for the Mk103 cannon. That's a real shame since the cannon model extends back into the gondola to great effect.

little_Guardian has come through like a champ with some corrected stencil layers. I'll incorporate these into the template and fix the alpha channel.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KpgQuop said:

something needs to be done about them

It's pretty easy. I just grade up a tad from pure black so's they aren't totally transparent. Thing is with transparencies on details like that is that they have no respect for what's behind them, unlike real holes (with something else in them!). Aesthetically I find it generally looks more acceptable. That said, I haven't actually gone over the template yet with a fine-toothed comb but I think I know what the problem may be. When I DO I'll let you know. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks again KpgQuop, I just love the skin!

Here is a little thank you for your incredible work:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p7ltcgjx6jx3i7n/Cockpit_Hs129b2_4K-eyecandy.zip/file

Did my best to correct/replace typos etc. upscaled or reworked some textures (like the leather rim) and changed some aspects of the alphas . . .

Greetings and thanks again

little Guardian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooherr. Got rid of it months ago as I didn't think it was up to scratch, comparison being the killer of joy and such. Thanks for keeping a copy FoxbatRU and if you can make anything out of it Frenchy56, all power and health to you both.

Cheers.

You made my day.

• Thanks 2
  • 5 months later...
13.04.2020 в 17:33, FoxbatRU сказал:

Playing a career BoS on Hs 129B-2, made an appropriate 4k skin-pack (9 skins: <-, C, E, F, G, H, N, K, T white"). Typical colors were taken as a basis. A planes of the 4./Sch.G.1 was taken as a model (1942).

Added 9 skins for winter.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wdjkej5jb9srdnn/Hs129B2_w.7z/file

https://www.7-zip.org/

2020_11_8__13_52_22.thumb.jpg.0ecdda3a6326788b0d506dc64486a4fc.jpg2020_11_8__13_53_45.thumb.jpg.44764fbfaa1b4426dc6ab2f013b64ec8.jpg2020_11_8__14_7_47.thumb.jpg.b894fc0939466261aa312667e7deb7c1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, KpgQuop said:

Dear All The link below leads to a template, normalmap and set of generic late summer skins for the HS129.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar7IGhMwh1t_wvcVZTGZHwYGUPMs-A?e=WTGaFP

Any chances for a new download link?

On 3/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, Dutch2 said:

Its the .psd file and not the purple 4k .dds file, that’s normaly stored in the planes template folder. 

Stupid Q, i know, but what's the use for these purple templates? ... came across it looking for C47 dds files ..

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

Stupid Q, i know, but what's the use for these purple templates? ... came across it looking for C47 dds files ..

This is the Normal Map. It takes care of the little dents, dings and panel lines to give them a 3D effect in game. A good example is the nose of the Yak1 69 or LaGG when the roughly made engine panels show up their creases and distortions. BHH's 109F templates are also a great example of creative and skillful application when he relies less on hard drawn lines and more on the depth effect.  To make it work well some "shine" needs to be retained by the alpha layer at least on the metal parts. A common fault with skins which go for a really matt finish is that the Normal map then doesn't show all its detail and the skin looks flat. Its stored in a different place to the skins and used to be hidden but i think this has changed and they now show up as ICDP has worked through the 4K skins. Its location is IL2 Battle of......./data/graphics/planes/"Plane type"/textures.

The Normal map is usually made from a grayscale image of the aircraft minus any weathering and markings and with some limitation of certain shadows. It is an art in its own right and best left unless you really know what you are doing. There are some little tweaks you can make to increase or decrease the effect but in general, if you have a good balanced alpha you should not need to touch it.

Since ICDP has gone over the models with 4K textures and produced the normal map to match,  the stock normal map can usually be left well alone as he's done a great job with them. On the later planes I would strongly recommend leaving them as there are additional elements which I think may relate to the damage graphics incorporated into them. If the model still uses an older 2K official skin you can scale up the normal reasonably well for 4K skins. Lastly, when a template has not been adopted as "official, for instance RaFiGer's excellent 109G6 and G14, skins made using those will also need to use the associated normal map. This is a problem if you use different templates for skins as often a number of details will be mismatched. 

Edited by BOO
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, BOO said:

This is the Normal Map. It takes care of the little dents, dings and panel lines to give them a 3D effect in game. A good example is the nose of the Yak1 69 or LaGG when the roughly made engine panels show up their creases and distortions. BHH's 109F templates are also a great example of creative and skillful application when he relies less on hard drawn lines and more on the depth effect.  To make it work well some "shine" needs to be retained by the alpha layer at least on the metal parts. A common fault with skins which go for a really matt finish is that the Normal map then doesn't show all its detail and the skin looks flat. Its stored in a different place to the skins and used to be hidden but i think this has changed and they now show up as ICDP has worked through the 4K skins. Its location is IL2 Battle of......./data/graphics/planes/"Plane type"/textures.

The Normal map is usually made from a grayscale image of the aircraft minus any weathering and markings and with some limitation of certain shadows. It is an art in its own right and best left unless you really know what you are doing. There are some little tweaks you can make to increase or decrease the effect but in general, if you have a good balanced alpha you should not need to touch it.

Since ICDP has gone over the models with 4K textures and produced the normal map to match,  the stock normal map can usually be left well alone as he's done a great job with them. On the later planes I would strongly recommend leaving them as there are additional elements which I think may relate to the damage graphics incorporated into them. If the model still uses an older 2K official skin you can scale up the normal reasonably well for 4K skins. Lastly, when a template has not been adopted as "official, for instance RaFiGer's excellent 109G6 and G14, skins made using those will also need to use the associated normal map. This is a problem if you use different templates for skins as often a number of details will be mismatched. 

What are the Template .psd files for, you will find sometimes included in the download?  Only as an starting base for the skinners?????

Edited by Dutch2
17 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

What are the Template .psd files for, you will find sometimes included in the download?  Only as an starting base for the skinners?????

sorry - i dont get your point