Sign in to follow this  
56RAF_Talisman

This simulation is beautiful - a work of art

I enter the online MP KotA server as the sun is sinking low in the sky.  Sitting in my La5Fn, I hear the sound of a bird overhead, probably a skylark, singing its heart out over the airfield.  The sun is setting and the moon is up above, high and large in the heavens.  The horizon out to sea is lit with a rim of purple haze turning to orange and then blue as my eyes lift to the sailing white clouds.  Looking inland, the darkening forest rises behind hangars and village dwellings that are tinged with shades of sunny pink.

My trusty La5 wakes with a hearty roar from its burly engine and the resulting shaking airframe transferrers its lively vibrations and flighty soul to its human companion (I have a force feed-back gametrix jetseat set to 'sound mode') as I begin pre-flight checks and prepare to be airborne.  Time to go!  Shaking and surging forward the engine strains and the vibrations to my body increase.  We are gathering speed in leaps and bounds and I begin to feel the joystick controls stiffening in my grasp (I have a force feed-back joystick MSFF2) as the rushing air presses against the control surfaces I am dancing on to control yaw and to lift the tail.  We are up!  As I raise the gear we clear the airfield seaward and look down on sun drenched white cliffs turning a lighter shade of pink with the sea lapping gently on the shore beneath.  I close the cockpit canopy and the rushing air subsides to my ears, bringing on a feeling of being shielded from the elements and cosy within my airborne stead.   

I turn Southerly down the coast at cruise settings and view the beautiful scene from on high.  The forest valleys are revealed filling with grey mist settling for the night and the low sun plays joyfully with light and shade across earth and sky.  It is as though I am flying into the landscape painting of an old master painter and I can't help but grin and grin (I am using VR googles - Pimax 5K+).  I swoop high and low and high and low again to take it all in. 

I spot a contact way down below.  Hastily changing to combat settings I investigate and find that, sadly, it is a Ju87 over the sea heading towards a target over which barrage balloons are shinning in the late low sun.  I say 'sadly', because I am enjoying this flight so much that, strangely for me, I feel I would rather wave at the enemy than engage in combat.  Still, duty calls and we know what we must do.  I dive to attack, aware that the rear gunner is deadly and already the tracers from his gun are reaching out to gather me.  My heartbeat has increased to combat speed as I flash by my opponent and land some shots, but I also am peppered with enough rounds to cause my La5 to leak a little lost fluid in my trail.  We are both damaged, but he more so.  I take care with repeated attacks to avoid the train of his guns and he eventually drops his bomb and bails out.  His parachute sets sail, I see only one.  The low light and glaring sun made my task harder than I thought and I might have collided with him with less care.  With engine settings lowered, I set course for home base, which is adjacent to the Stuka's target and close by.  As I land, a flare shoots up into the sky, seemingly from my airfield.  What the flare means I do not know, but I decide to quickly leave the runway.  I park up and turn off the engine in anticipation of hearing air attack sirens wailing, but all is still and the sky lark is singing.

What a great flight simulation this is.

Thank you Jason and team, KotA and all of the IL-2 GB community.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 29
  • Upvote 4

Talisman,

You going all soft and mushy on us? 😏

I do like the low sun on the horizon starts, also.

Hope all is well with you. Your pedals are still working mate.

Regards

H

Thank you very much for this piece of beauty art for my soul.

I expected just romantic flight. The attack was little bit disturbing in this romance. But, La-5 is just a dream of plane, for such moments it fits so well.

Love this.

And now I go to look for such force feedback seat. Which my virtual cockpit still misses.

Hi on the sky Sir!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

And now I go to look for such force feedback seat. Which my virtual cockpit still misses.

I home-built one (audio based). Never fly without it. It just doesn't feel right to not have my seat shake with the cannons or vibrate with the engine roar.

Great narrative Talisman. I too enjoy the occasional special moment of zen in this game when everything feels just so right . . . . just before hell is unleashed usually.

• Thanks 1

Hi Frances,

how do you hook the sound to the shakers?

I imagine you use those bass shakers and I imagine they only shake with bass sound.

Did you used a guide to built it?

26 minutes ago, 4driano said:

Hi Frances,

how do you hook the sound to the shakers?

I imagine you use those bass shakers and I imagine they only shake with bass sound.

Did you used a guide to built it?

Sent you a PM so as to not derail this thread.

• Thanks 1

Whenever I'm stressed out and want to escape I head down to my basement, fire up my PC, load up IL-2 in VR in my sim cockpit, turn on the Buttkicker, put on the headphones and just zone out free flying around. The feeling is unmatched in any game I've ever played. 

• Like 2

I felt the same as I climbed a 262 away from the early morning haze, then suddenly the wings blazed orange as they caught the first rays of the sun rising over the Caucasus.

+1  OP has captured the feeling very well: this is indeed a very beautiful game. 

Talisman, I never knew you had the soul of a poet.  Beautiful.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pfrances said:

I home-built one (audio based). Never fly without it. It just doesn't feel right to not have my seat shake with the cannons or vibrate with the engine roar.

Hi pfrances, 

I also have a home made bass shaker system in my simpit, I wanted to ask whether you also experience a delay in the vibrations when firing MGs and/cannon? 

I'm trying to ascertain whether the bass frequencies from the guns are just a bit delayed in the sim or whether the delay is hardware related, thanks. 

Nice write up, Talisman, thoroughly enjoyable read. 

This topic give me a feeling of tropical islands and palm trees.

Pacific storms and calm sunsets. Beatches and make do airstrips. Jungle and convoys steaming ahead attempting to outsmart opposing fleet. 

Beauty is for sure one of this games best quality    

Nice write up.... I do the same when the mood takes me. Early morning or late evening free-flight in my beloved P40.

great stuff!

The feeling of flying over a sun kissed landscape admiring the fluffy clouds, then a few cannon rounds tear my wing off...:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Thank you very much for this piece of beauty art for my soul.

I expected just romantic flight. The attack was little bit disturbing in this romance. But, La-5 is just a dream of plane, for such moments it fits so well.

Love this.

Hi on the sky Sir!

I got my jetseat from this chap, but he has a slightly different version on sale now:

https://andres.shop/jetseat/24-77-jetseat-sim-edition.html

This one is also on the market:

https://eu.realteus.com/products/forcefeel

Good luck and happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

17 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Hi pfrances, 

I also have a home made bass shaker system in my simpit, I wanted to ask whether you also experience a delay in the vibrations when firing MGs and/cannon? 

I'm trying to ascertain whether the bass frequencies from the guns are just a bit delayed in the sim or whether the delay is hardware related, thanks. 

I've never noticed any delay in the response time. If there were any then the signs would be delayed as well since mine is driven purely by the sound out put.

I think I'm going to put together a short video of how I built mine and my impressions with how well it works. I'll post it in the hardware section.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pfrances said:

I've never noticed any delay in the response time. If there were any then the signs would be delayed as well since mine is driven purely by the sound out put.

I think I'm going to put together a short video of how I built mine and my impressions with how well it works. I'll post it in the hardware section.

Thanks for your answer. Mine is also driven by sound output but it's the on board sound card from my mobo. Gonna have to do some troubleshooting...