jollyjack

Bodenplatte map area

So, I have done a little bit of research into the matter of Den Haag/'s-Gravenhage and Den Bosch/'s-Hertogenbosch.

Lets start with Den Haag/'s-Gravenhage. Both are correct! The name Den Haag (originally Die Haghe) is the oldest and original name of the city and has been used by the Dutch people as well as the municipality ever since. However, the name 's-Gravenhage also has been used by the municipality for over 200 years due to its more chique appearance and is also still used today but only on official documents (From 1990 onward the municipality uses Den Haag). 

As for Den Bosch/'s-Hertogenbosch it is a different story. "Den Bosch" is not officially recognised as the name for the city.  The name Den Bosch is a modern name only used by the Dutch people. Only 's-Hertogenbosch is correct. 

If you want the map to be correct, you are free to use Den Haag or 's-Gravenhage. BUT you can only use 's-Hertogenbosch.

Edited by BlackHellHound1

7 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

A couple remarks on the map:

- The cities of Deventer and Apeldoorn are swapped (see attached pic)

- The city of "s-Hertogenbosch" should be written as 's-Hertogenbosch; so that's with an apostrophe before the s (due to 's being a contraction of des)

- Scheveningen is all-caps, while Den Haag is not. This should be the other way around, as Scheveningen is a neighbourhood of Den Haag (and with Den Haag being the seat of government and de facto capital)

Two additional mistakes:

- Terneuzen (SW Netherlands) is misspelled as Terneuzer

- Volkel airbase (B-80) is misspelled as Volker

1 hour ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

who both generally use native Dutch names, disregarding a few exceptions (The Hague, Arnheim, ...). To make matters worse, this American map from 1944 has 's-Gravenhage, while this German map from the same year uses Haag (without Den though) (both use 's-Hertogenbosch). Which leads us right back to the original problem.

It would not lead us to any problem. What I meant was, two maps. An english map and a german map, with the towns in the correct language for this side.

1 hour ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

So, I have done a little bit of research into the matter of Den Haag/'s-Gravenhage and Den Bosch/'s-Hetrogenbosch.

Lets start with Den Haag/'s-Gravenhage. Both are correct! The name Den Haag (originally Die Haghe) is the oldest and original name of the city and has been used by the Dutch people as well as the municipality ever since. However, the name 's-Gravenhage also has been used by the municipality for over 200 years due to its more chique appearance and is also still used today but only on official documents (From 1990 onward the municipality uses Den Haag). 

As for Den Bosch/'s-Hetrogenbosch it is a different story. "Den Bosch" is not officially recognised as the name for the city.  The name Den Bosch is a modern name only used by the Dutch people. Only 's-Hetrogenbosch is correct. 

If you want the map to be correct, you are free to use Den Haag or 's-Gravenhage. BUT you can only use 's-Hertogenbosch.

Not 's-Hertrogenbosch, but 's-Hertogenbosch

5 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

...who both generally use native Dutch names, disregarding a few exceptions (The Hague, Arnheim, ...). To make matters worse, this American map from 1944 has 's-Gravenhage, while this German map from the same year uses Haag (without Den though) (both use 's-Hertogenbosch). Which leads us right back to the original problem.

Spelling mistakes on allied maps are well known. As an example the allied forces on D-Day used a map of Normandy where the village Brouay was spelled Bronay. It happened that in the vincininity of Brouay some important battles took place on 8th-9th June 1944. Since then it is almost impossible to eliminate the wrong spelled "Bronay" from the literature.

Unbenannt1.jpg

Unbenannt2.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, EAF19_Marsh said:

😲

I had a look but they are about £250 a copy or I would have bought ti stright up. I loved Sheddan´s work - like CLostermann but with less melodrama.

Damn, £250?! Guess I got lucky 😄