Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 229 - Discussion

What a wonderful read, Jason. Thanks for giving us an insight into the human side of this project.

To all the fans out there: if you've got a bit of spare cash, think about gifting this fantastic sim to friends who might have an interest in WWII or aviation. With the iconic US and Brit planes coming out I really think this sim has a big potential for reaching out to even more fans. If the money from extra sales go into research and development as that described by Jason it is really worth it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Such a lovely aircraft deserves to have its Bodenplatte configuration, not one dating from Overlord.

That's what we get according to Jason. At +11 she will be superior in low/mid alt performance to the other props, even without spring'45 candy.

1 minute ago, ZachariasX said:

That's what we get according to Jason. At +11 she will be superior in low/mid alt performance to the other props, even without spring'45 candy.

If so, that is very sad. And odd.

16 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

She's ~20+ mph faster than the D9 at +11 lbs on the deck.

Yeah, thought so. Pretty sure the Tempest is the fastest piston-engined fighter on the deck.

Sadly, she is not annealed in Freedom like the P-38 and P-51 are.

• Haha 1

That's some heavy shit right here. The new map looks absolutely stunning and all the planes... I can't wait to make some skins for those. Also new physiology looks like game changer. 👏

They just posted a screenshot with +11. What's the drama about? Jason also said there is nothing to worry about.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

They just posted a screenshot with +11. What's the drama about? Jason also said there is nothing to worry about.

Looking at pictures of boost gauges and comparing it to where the needle is positioned it doesn't look like it is +11.  

Excited to fly the tempest when we get it.  I bet its going to be really good no matter the boost rating.

Edited by -332FG-Garven
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, -332FG-Garven said:

Looking at pictures of boost gauges and comparing it to where the needle is positioned it doesn't look like it is +11.  

Excited to fly the tempest when we get it.  I bet its going to be really good no matter the boost rating.

From what I read, looks like +11 was a modification that could be made to the IIA (and when done in the factory it was the IIB)... so it would make sense if they give us the IIA with the +11 boost option as a mod.

That way, scenario designers can do earlier period missions and we can still fly a period accurate Tempest.

Think about it this way: it's better for the devs to implement a baseline model w/ mods that improve its performance, than just the latest top-of-the-line model.

Look at the La-5, for example. If all we had was the La-5F model, then the La-5 wouldn't fit in a ton of scenarios on Wings.

• Upvote 1

We will see if it gets +11 or +9 or both, till then we should wait and see, i will put myself into cryosleep till P51D releases. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

so it would make sense if they give us the IIA with the +11 boost option as a mod.

Hope so. Or it is an aircraft that was not operating over the map.

Nice to see the Tempest being just around the corner, and there will be much joy and when this beast will take off in the virtual skies. 

Jason, you have really put your back into collecting accurate references, travelling through half the world, and we thank you for it. 👍

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lord_Strange said:

I have no doubt we'll get a skin for the 'Grand Charles' seeing as we already have Clostermann's spit. If not then I look forward to the amazing job the skin-making community will do with it.

Pierre Clostermann has piloted several Tempest in several squadrons
The last photo shows the JF°E - NV754 delivered to 3 Squadron on July 8, 1945, photo taken on August 27, 1945, the day Pierre left the RAF.
The first photo was taken at the end of June 1945 on the Danish field of Kastrup, it is the JF°E NV994. This aircraft had been damaged by an Fw190 and Flak on April 20, 1945. He did not wear a victory cross or a badge of 3 Squadron on the drift at that time. It should be noted that this aircraft arrived in unit on April 14, 1945.
Pierre flew different Tempest aircraft, such as the US°W - EJ536 on 56 Squadron, early April 1945; the 7S°F NV918, in February 1945; or the JF°S - SN222 on which he claimed a dozen aircraft destroyed on the ground. And so on...

Source :

https://www.avions-bateaux.com/produit/avions/3622

https://www.avions-bateaux.com/uploads/attachment/produit//produit_3622_a10be1457f3cf380a59db2df5807c050.pdf

51 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Where was it posted? Thanks!😎

4 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Where was it posted? Thanks!😎

A bit earlier on this thread:

1 minute ago, Jade_Monkey said:

A bit earlier on this thread:

For reference, a boost guage of this configuration looks like this guy, so we can see where the numbers are. Its not totally clear where that needle is pointing  looks to me to be the unlabeled mark between 8, which would be 10. For the needle to point at 11 it would have to be obscuring part of the 12, and for it to be 9 the needle would be a little more horizontal? But we aren't seeing it straight on so who knows.

boost.jpg

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, MeoW.Scharfi said:

We will see if it gets +11 or +9 or both, till then we should wait and see, i will put myself into cryosleep till P51D releases. 

To be honest it is futile doing either. Whatever it will be it will be. The Spitfire boost setting we have (which doesn’t represent the majority of the spits at Bodenplatte) never got fixed so why would this (if the tempest doesn’t get +11 boost). The devs didn’t even comment on that rather confusing decision. 

I just think it’s a great shame our lovely birds are not being represented in this awesome sim as they should be. 

Edit:  I seem to remember our P40 getting its manifold pressure/ power increased after initial release after discussion from the community.

Axis aircraft- get max power settings for all their aircraft no matter how rare for that time period. 

American aircraft- gets reworked to reflect real aircraft performance

English Aircraft- gets ignored and undermodelled. 

Edited by Bullets
  • Sad 1

Great write up and holy shit that video!!!!!

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

For reference, a boost guage of this configuration looks like this guy, so we can see where the numbers are. Its not totally clear where that needle is pointing  looks to me to be the unlabeled mark between 8, which would be 10. For the needle to point at 11 it would have to be obscuring part of the 12, and for it to be 9 the needle would be a little more horizontal? But we aren't seeing it straight on so who knows.

boost.jpg

Good point.

Frankly it's kind of futile to argue about this. The plane has not even been released, we don't even know if the throttle was at 100% or if there are multiple engine mods for that plane and we are seeing one or the other in the video.

Although there have been some controversial choices by the devs (the Spit9 boost), there is also a tendency on the forums to assume things are wrong based on just a screenshot, or a high level DD. All the research and effort that Jason described was not in vane, the engineers and programmers had plenty of reference materials and are not making random design choices. The 5th post in this thread is already saying that the engine is wrong without even seeing the acutal product first hand.

Let's just see what the actual plane is like in BoX before we all freak out.

• Upvote 9

Thanks for another great DD.  Wow for the video with the 5 allied iconic planes flying together.:clapping:

The Tempest will indeed be a beast.

Devs: Thank you so much!!!!! Love your work!

Posted (edited)

Great diary! It can be seen that Jason is very fond of WWII aviation. By the way Jason what about him ?)

A6M2.jpg

Edited by Viktor33_33
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Viktor33_33 said:

Great diary! It can be seen that Jason is very fond of WWII aviation. By the way, what about this?))

A6M2.jpg

What's the question, I see zero planes in this picture.

• Haha 11
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bullets said:

To be honest it is futile doing either. Whatever it will be it will be. The Spitfire boost setting we have (which doesn’t represent the majority of the spits at Bodenplatte) never got fixed so why would this (if the tempest doesn’t get +11 boost). The devs didn’t even comment on that rather confusing decision. 

I just think it’s a great shame our lovely birds are not being represented in this awesome sim as they should be. 

Edit:  I seem to remember our P40 getting its manifold pressure/ power increased after initial release after discussion from the community.

Axis aircraft- get max power settings for all their aircraft no matter how rare for that time period. 

The devs did state that they were looking into adding 150 octane fuel, in an interview a while back. That's not to say they'll do it, but I'm hopeful that the Spit IX will get 150 octane fuel as a mod.

That said, Jason did post there's nothing to be concerned about. I choose to take that as face value, and to mean that we don't need to be concerned about +11 boost, because it'll be a mod or some such.

As for english aicraft being undermodeled... are they? The two spits we have are bloody good. Give the IX its 150 octane mod and it'll be pretty good, and I'm very hopeful we will get the Spit XIV as a collectors edition (I mean, it's the ultimate wartime spit. It'll sell itself). And Jason seems to be _very_ passionate about the Tempest from this DD alone, so I can't see why they would undermodel it.

What a great time to be a sim fan! So cool seeing all these great late war planes coming into this sim! iRacing's new build comes out next week too, VR is mind blowing, fun times indeed for all simmers everywhere. No sure how some of you folks can complain and nitpick.

Points for someone to post a Spinal Tap meme for the boost not "going to 11" ;)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

A Tempest, a Spitfire, a Mustang, a Lightning and a Thunderbolt walk into a bar in Dusseldorf and the barman says...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

A Tempest, a Spitfire, a Mustang, a Lightning and a Thunderbolt walk into a bar in Dusseldorf and the barman says...

"Allied planes OP pls nerf"

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
On 30 August 2019 at 9:00 PM, EAF19_Marsh said:

Hi - all my names Herman, but "You can call me Meyer".  I'd love to hang around, but I have to be goring, I've an appointment with my dentist.

(Glad to see some of you know your history, even if it is a bit of a rubbish joke 😀)

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Haha 2

Great news, thanks for taking the time to write up the development process!

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

No changes have ever been done to the P-40's engine. After about a year to a year and a half of asking to check the FM, they finally did and found the initial one had a bug that caused the plane to have too much drag which turned it into something nearly unflyable in combat. This has been corrected. A whole series of other, smaller issues have never been resolved. 

1 hour ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

This is a peaceful bar. There'll be no fighters in here! 

I can't wait to try out the Tempest...and the P-51...and the P-38. The last part of that video was a very nice surprise. Thanks!

As far as I'm aware there are currently no pilot external view movements tied to actual head movement but here we see the P-51 pilot lean forward a couple of times (around the 7:17 mark) and the P-47 pilot lean to the right (7:07 mark).

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. To me this would be as exciting as anything else coming as it brings the planes to life .

Any comments on this? Jason??? 

618427078_p51leanfwd.JPG.6c493f53eefdc35c394f18e14c39acd8.JPG

image.png.b1780a12d92d0edaa60ab3283e6e1a4a.png

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

As far as I'm aware there are currently no pilot external view movements tied to actual head movement but here we see the P-51 pilot lean forward a couple of times (around the 7:17 mark) and the P-47 pilot lean to the right (7:07 mark).

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. To me this would be as exciting as anything else coming as it brings the planes to life .

It has been a feature for a long time...timestamped for you

Edited by LeLv30_Redwing

10 minutes ago, JimTM said:

This is a peaceful bar. There'll be no fighters in here! 

“Careful, Mr. President, I think he is a bit drunk...”

Tempest cockpit and textures look excellent. Idk why but I feel like some cockpits and textures of certain aircraft are far superior in quality than some others. D9, Tempest, and Spitfire for example all have excellent cockpit models/textures that are imo better than most of the other aircraft in-game.

Great work to the devs, can't wait to try her out.

Posted (edited)

Just saw the video. Wow the Tempest has some mighty flaps! 

The map.... so that's the Bp map.... it does feel "NW european", as opposed to the eastern maps we already know. It looks very good..

Edited by danielprates
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

That was me -flying with Rift S- trying to figure out what city was below us lol. Head movement has been in the game a long time. I didn't realize leaning was also modeled this well though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for the super update! Would be cool if you guys found the time to do such an in detail update for every aircraft to come.

Cheers

S! Jason

Thank you for the info and all the hard work.

As I was reading the diary I was thinking that this story would make a great movie.  I love stories with a happy ending🙂

40 minutes ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

It has been a feature for a long time...timestamped for you

Thanks. It's odd that not too long ago (it seems), I tested it out with a buddy and there wasn't any head or body movement. TIme to try it again. That was a cool story vid by the way. You guys fly well together!

25 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

That was me -flying with Rift S- trying to figure out what city was below us lol. Head movement has been in the game a long time. I didn't realize leaning was also modeled this well though.

You looked very real there Vander and congrats on being in the inner circle. 🙂 Anyway, this is a big step forward. Great news.

• Like 1