Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
greywulf

Oculus Rift S Nothing but problems w/IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Like the title says  nothing but problems. Game doen't center no rift controller access etc. Disappointed with IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad  (Steam Edition and Steam VR enabled)) not working out of the box, unlike games like DCS and Elite Dangerous.

Edited by greywulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as game not centering, you can bind re-centering the VR view to your HOTAS in the controller settings - believe it is under either pilot head control or camera.

You will know it when you see it - also VR zoom is listed with it and can be bound as well.

You can also adjust your seated position permanently :

 

 Adjusting the default head position:
1. Ensure any head tracking software (such as TrackIR) is disabled.
2. Make sure you cockpit view is centered by pressing the numpad 5 key (Pilot head: snap position center).
3. Adjust your camera view to the left and to the right with the Delete (Move pilot head left) and the End keys (Move pilot head right), respectively.
4. Adjust your camera view forward and backward with the Insert (Move pilot head forward) and the Home keys (Move pilot head backward), respectively.
5. Adjust your camera view up and down with the Page Up (Move pilot head up) and the Page Down keys (Move pilot head down), respectively.
6. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key (Save current corrections in head snap position). If at any time before this step you want to revert to the default head position, press the numpad 5 key.

 

No the controllers are not supported, not much a need as the cockpit switches/ button are not clickable.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works for sure, after log just press 5 keypad.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

*I don't see anywhere a disable tab for TrackIR on/off

*Controlling moving the Pilot's head while in VR keys or joystick is not responding but key commands work as normal when not in VR

*It just seems like a huge struggle getting things to respond as they do in non VR when in VR. I thought this game was optimized for VR apparently it's not.

*No mouse responding to click on instraments during flight

Edited by greywulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greywulf said:

*I don't see anywhere a disable tab for TrackIR on/off

*Controlling moving the Pilot's head while in VR keys or joystick is not responding but key commands work as normal when not in VR

*It just seems like a huge struggle getting things to respond as they do in non VR when in VR. I thought this game was optimized for VR apparently it's not.

*No mouse responding to click on instraments during flight

 

It is very optimized for VR and really not that difficult... IMHO best optimized flight sim out there today.

I already mentioned - this sim does not have clickable cockpit instruments, so stop trying. If that is a deal breaker for you, then you won't like it.

I already showed you how to adjust your seated position, not that hard. 

Why worried about Track IR? It is not used at all with VR and should be unplugged.

But it is an awesome combat flight sim, and in VR even more incredible!

 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, dburne said:

As far as game not centering, you can bind re-centering the VR view to your HOTAS in the controller settings - believe it is under either pilot head control or camera.

You will know it when you see it - also VR zoom is listed with it and can be bound as well.

You can also adjust your seated position permanently :

 

 Adjusting the default head position:
1. Ensure any head tracking software (such as TrackIR) is disabled.
2. Make sure you cockpit view is centered by pressing the numpad 5 key (Pilot head: snap position center).
3. Adjust your camera view to the left and to the right with the Delete (Move pilot head left) and the End keys (Move pilot head right), respectively.
4. Adjust your camera view forward and backward with the Insert (Move pilot head forward) and the Home keys (Move pilot head backward), respectively.
5. Adjust your camera view up and down with the Page Up (Move pilot head up) and the Page Down keys (Move pilot head down), respectively.
6. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key (Save current corrections in head snap position). If at any time before this step you want to revert to the default head position, press the numpad 5 key.

 

No the controllers are not supported, not much a need as the cockpit switches/ button are not clickable.

Thanks but can't make any of those adjustments while in VR only non VR standard gameplay. Even if I assign joystick/hotas commands of Del,End, or PageUp/Page Down on my hotas there is no response once in VR. That's what's driving me nuts.

Edited by greywulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greywulf said:

Thanks but can't make any of those adjustments while in VR only non VR standard gameplay. Even if I assign joystick/hotas commands of Del,End, or PageUp/Page Down on my hotas there is no response once in VR. That's what's driving me nuts.

 

If you are talking about setting the seat position, I do that on monitor only. I uncheck the VR tab in the IL-2 settings and restart the game so it is only

on monitor. I then load up the plane on a runway, and make those adjustments to where I think it would be about right. I save it, then go back in and check the VR tab again, and exit the game and start it again and see how it is in VR.  I may have to do it again for final adjustment, same process, then I am typically done and it is 

saved permanently for that plane. That is the nice thing about this method, it is persistent and specific to each individual plane.  When making the adjustments with game on monitor only, definitely do not have Track IR enabled as mentioned in the steps 

I posted previously. Nice thing about this method, once done you are done for good for that plane.

I have seen some say this works doing it in VR as well, but I always seemed to have better luck doing it with the game on monitor only.

 

Alternatively, you can assign the re-center VR to a button on your HOTAS and make the adjustment using that each time you get into the cockpit, so it is temporary for that flight session and would need to be done each time you get back into the cockpit. I would recommend having this assigned to a button anyway no matter how you do this.  I believe it is described in the GUI as Default VR View. This would be a global setting and need to be done each plane each time you load up to fly.

So in essence you have the default VR view assigned to a button on your stick or throttle. You load up a plane for the first time in the session, and adjust your actual seating position and hit that button to get the view about where you would like it. Then you are good to go for that flying session in that plane.

But it would need to be done each time you start the game again.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

If you are talking about setting the seat position, I do that on monitor only. I uncheck the VR tab in the IL-2 settings and restart the game so it is only

on monitor. I then load up the plane on a runway, and make those adjustments to where I think it would be about right. I save it, then go back in and check the VR tab again, and exit the game and start it again and see how it is in VR.  I may have to do it again for final adjustment, same process, then I am typically done and it is 

saved permanently for that plane. That is the nice thing about this method, it is persistent and specific to each individual plane.  When making the adjustments with game on monitor only, definitely do not have Track IR enabled as mentioned in the steps 

I posted previously. Nice thing about this method, once done you are done for good for that plane.

I have seen some say this works doing it in VR as well, but I always seemed to have better luck doing it with the game on monitor only.

 

Alternatively, you can assign the re-center VR to a button on your HOTAS and make the adjustment using that each time you get into the cockpit, so it is temporary for that flight session and would need to be done each time you get back into the cockpit. I would recommend having this assigned to a button anyway no matter how you do this.  I believe it is described in the GUI as Default VR View. This would be a global setting and need to be done each plane each time you load up to fly.

So in essence you have the default VR view assigned to a button on your stick or throttle. You load up a plane for the first time in the session, and adjust your actual seating position and hit that button to get the view about where you would like it. Then you are good to go for that flying session in that plane.

But it would need to be done each time you start the game again.

Thanks for your help much appreciated that's what I was doing. I thought I was missing something since there was no reponse to seat adjustments in VR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greywulf said:

Thanks for your help much appreciated that's what I was doing. I thought I was missing something since there was no reponse to seat adjustments in VR.

 

:good:

Good luck let us know how you get along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VR steps:

 

- Bind a key for VR recenter

- Use that key

- Look around like in real life

 

The scale is 1:1, you're meant to move 1:1, stop using keys after you center yourself. 

 

If you want to zoom, that's another story. The game sorta has VR zoom, but there's a mod out there that really enhances this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont hesitate to ask if you have any more issues. We have a good community here.

 

All the above work well for me in VR with my Rift/Rift S

 

If you have a hotas, assign the centre VR to a lever/button. After a while you wont even know your using it.

 

There *is* a setting (I cant remember the actual location and name) which limits your head movement in VR, trying to simulate the confines of a cockpit.

 

Turn it *OFF*.

 

It was implemented for all the right theoretical reasons, but IMHO is flawed and makes using VR a chore.

 

Lastly, dont use the ADS (or equivalent) mode when using gun positions on aircraft, if you need the sights move yourself to physically look through them. The ADS mode doesnt suit VR users and for those newer to VE can be disorienting.

 

Tank ADS is far better.

 

PS I set my seat position in VR, but as above some prefer to do so in 2d. The choice is yours! :)

Edited by OrLoK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us VR users need to use an application called JoyToKey ( free ) in order to get some of the HOTAS bindings to work - (Menu for example ).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An issue I've noticed from the beginning is that when in VR mode and the headset is adjusted properly everything looks clear only when I look through the very center of the lenses.The sides up,down,left and right seem more hazy and not as crystal clear as dead center. It's as if the entire lense is not being utilized 100% only the very center. I have my IDP set correctly.

Edited by greywulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, greywulf said:

An issue I've noticed from the beginning is that when in VR mode and the headset is adjusted properly everything looks clear only when I look through the very center of the lenses.The sides up,down,left and right seem more hazy and not as crystal clear as dead center. It's as if the entire lense is not being utilized 100% only the very center. I have my IDP set correctly.

 

Yes current VR tech has a sweet spot in the middle for ideal viewing. Out toward the edges gets blurry, which is why one needs to move head more rather than eyes when viewing things off at an angle. Some headsets have a little larger sweet spot than others, but they all have it.

I found the Rift S to be a little better in that regard than the original Rift CV1, but not by much.

 

Someday as technology improves this will not be an issue, likely when they can implement eye tracking with foveated rendering.

Who knows how long that will be though.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

 

Yes current VR tech has a sweet spot in the middle for ideal viewing. Out toward the edges gets blurry, which is why one needs to move head more rather than eyes when viewing things off at an angle. Some headsets have a little larger sweet spot than others, but they all have it.

I found the Rift S to be a little better in that regard than the original Rift CV1, but not by much.

 

Someday as technology improves this will not be an issue, likely when they can implement eye tracking with foveated rendering.

Who knows how long that will be though.

I think the sweet spot in Rift S is much wider than in the CV1. I have no problem with that, it settles nicely when I just put the HMD on. In CV1 I had to adjust the thing all the time. But theres a couple of years between CV1 and Rift S in my case so maybe my memories aren`t that accurate. And of course our heads, eyes and ipd`s are different so maybe Rift S just fits my head better.

Edited by LLv24_Zami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your help still learning and just added 10ft to display port and USB to reach my playing area. All is good so far.

How would I get IL2 to launch directly from "Profiles" in Oculus Tool Tray? The "exe" appears for a moment then is gone and the game doesn't launch. Isn't that the only way to really ensure the PD and other changes made to IL2 will take effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greywulf said:

Thanks for all your help still learning and just added 10ft to display port and USB to reach my playing area. All is good so far.

How would I get IL2 to launch directly from "Profiles" in Oculus Tool Tray? The "exe" appears for a moment then is gone and the game doesn't launch. Isn't that the only way to really ensure the PD and other changes made to IL2 will take effect?

 

You are most welcome!

I have never tried launching a game with OTT.

My profiles apply just fine.

You can enable audio confirmation so you hear when your profile is applied.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok after an entire day of playing around with various settings in Oculus, Oculus Tool Tray, Steam VR and IL-2 graphic settings I have come to this conclusion for my computer.

 

None of it matters much. Out of the box IL-2 @ 2560x1440 with almost every graphic at max in VR and default Steam VR and keeping OTT at 1.5 PD w/ASW in Auto is what I am keeping it on for now. If I change things around I don't get more or less fps. Usually 40fps when on or very close to the ground in a mission with other aircraft and 50-80 fps higher up in the clouds.

 

From my experience with general and commercial aircraft in  flight sims needs to be at least 30fps + to get the true speed of the flight. Also changing PD from 1.5 to 2.0 did nothing that was noticable to me. It may have even made it ever so slightly more blurry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greywulf said:

Also changing PD from 1.5 to 2.0 did nothing that was noticable to me. It may have even made it ever so slightly more blurry.

 

Hey, you have to realize that PD in OTT is not measured in the same way than in SS SteamVR:

 

PD is the square root of SS, both expressed in base 1 (not in %).

 

So if you apply 1.5 PD is like applying 2.25 SS Steam VR (225%), and this is A LOT!!

And if you apply 2.0 PD is like applying 4.0 SS Steam VR (400%), this is 23.5 million pixels, this is no way!!

 

In all devices there is a limit were it is not practical to increase the SS (or PD) anymore since the visual detail increase is toooo litle comparing with the impact in performance.

 

For the Rift-S, I think you should use 1.2 or 1.3 PD, which is equivalent to 144% and 170% in SteamVR. The visual detail that you gain beyond 1.3PD is really very little, you can test that yourself by using the Oculus Mirror app (this app shows what is displayed in the display before applying lense distortion profile).

 

This table is in the spreadsheet of the benchmark, in the devices tab:

1104942257_Rift-SPD.jpg.f8703783881837a5c81d9eeefa2e09fd.jpg

Edited by chiliwili69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...