IckyATLAS

Why can't we have this type of sound (music)?

Posted (edited)

Where is the problem?

Edited by IckyATLAS

This isn't a BMW 801 i think. The most Flugwerk fly with the La-5 Engine, you can recognize them by the modified MG Part. That´s the inlet for the russian Ash-82.

190-3-640x381.jpg

I think people greatly underestimate how difficult it is to simulate a good sounding engine. You read the same complains on any forum that deals with engines (planes, cars, boats)

There are so many factors that need to be taken into account from throttle position, listeners position, relative speed, engine load, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

It's not just a recording, it's all created on the fly and I think they've done a damned good job of it so far. Always room for improvement though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

On 8/28/2019 at 11:17 PM, pfrances said:

I think people greatly underestimate how difficult it is to simulate a good sounding engine. You read the same complains on any forum that deals with engines (planes, cars, boats)

There are so many factors that need to be taken into account from throttle position, listeners position, relative speed, engine load, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

It's not just a recording, it's all created on the fly and I think they've done a damned good job of it so far. Always room for improvement though.

You are right and myself with engineering background no doubt that I have commented about the complexity of the problem in the past. It is very difficult yes. But when I see the enormous effort that is being made not only at IL2 but also with other simulators, on the flight models of the airplanes and their behavior, I have the feeling that less effort goes into sound modeling, maybe because the look and feel(FMS) is the cornerstone, and sound comes after. From my point of view the sound is part of the cornerstone and goes together at paar when you want to bring something to life. It may be a matter of money or also a lack of available sound experts in this field that can spend time on this type of development, I do not know. When I see all the background effort made to find all the details to correctly to create the flying model of an old fighter up to the rivets, I am not sure that enough time is invested in the sound system. And many of these engines still exist in working conditions and even flying conditions.

Sound recording needs special recording equipment that is expensive and that you have the people with the knowledge to operate it correctly, needs to have the working engine on the plane, that the plane can fly and have microphones in the cockpit, on the ground etc.. and record sounds in all phases of the flight and at various regimes. Very costly and complicated to organize and setup. 

Jason may prove me wrong but I believe that what sells is first the visuals and the flight model, sound comes after due to financial priorities. 

• Upvote 1

You answered your own question in the last paragraph I'd say. None of that is needed when building gfx model or FM code really (the only exception is when one has to travel to collect archive and photo resources, like the recent saga of Tempest shows).

And the skilled labor issue can be seen even when we observe free modding scene of all flight and racing/rally sims played during last two decades. For each of these games (if they're moddable obviously), amongst thousands of players, there's a crapton of people who know how to tweak data in text files, much smaller but still numerous group of people who know Photoshop or Gimp and can make skins, only fraction of people who know any 3D CAD software and can make and convert 3D models, and literally less than a handful of people who know any sound editing software and are proficient in using it. I don't know how situation looks in other game genre modding communities, but I suspect it's pretty close.

Low quality or poorly adjusted sound recording equipment that often causes clipping when the gain is too high to deal with the sound of real world aircraft.

Such clipping can make planes sound far more 'beefy' than they actually are. This effect is often seen on amateur and even many professional) recordings of airshows.

Play IL2 at full volume on a high quality 130db+ sound system and record the result on your phone and you will likely get a result that sounds much more like many airshow recordings.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh i dont know if I agree itd all that bad.

The 190 D engine seriously turns me on.

The P40 engines cool too - you can hear a definite noticeable change in pitch when you "pour on the coal"

If you turn the game volume up and lower it in the windows sound mixer you get a better sound, also if you have a 7.1 sound setup for your headset. This actually changed the whole game for me and now the engines actually sound like engines. 2.0 sound really is lackluster in comparison 

• Upvote 2

On 8/31/2019 at 5:23 PM, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

If you turn the game volume up and lower it in the windows sound mixer you get a better sound, also if you have a 7.1 sound setup for your headset. This actually changed the whole game for me and now the engines actually sound like engines. 2.0 sound really is lackluster in comparison 

I have now a Razer Thresher Headphone with 7.1 Dolby and Window sonic surround activated. 

I must agree the sound is now spatial and much more similar to what we have in recording from the real fighter planes.

The FW190 A8, the P47, the P40 etc. they all have their sound and it's a completely different sound sensation than with standard stereo headphones.

Thanks for the tip -LUCKY-  you were completely right, as usual first we must have the right equipment to take the best out of what we have.

Sorry Jason, your sounds are not so bad after all 🙂

The final test will be for me at Reno air races in Nevada in about 10 days. I will be there to watch the races during the final three days, and all unlimited silver and gold races. I will have access to the pits and planes. I will the have those ultimate fighters with the engines pushed to the limit  and be able to get my personal sound feel of it.

I will post my comments when I am back for comments in about three weeks time.

42 minutes ago, bubo942 said:

Tiger sound mod 

I compared in my same earphones same sound level (100% for game volume setting and 24 for the windows 10 sound mixer setting) both for your Tiger sound video and the game one. The relative difference is not so huge at all. I cannot say which is more realistic but clearly I would not push for the Tiger Mod.

Maybe in stereo non surround mode the Tiger version sounds much better than the ingame one, but with the actual system I have now I would not go for the mod. We have also to check what gives the Tiger mod happens with all the other planes.

The ingame sound of the P47 is just gorgeous with this sound setting. When you compare to real P47 videos and sound recordings that's really not bad at all. On high speed passes you have some higher pitch elements of the sound that you do not get but frankly overall it is just excellent. 

• Upvote 1

I think the sound of this F-4 in the distance is rather nice! (From about 0.54 to 1.17 ish)

2 hours ago, Haza said:

I think the sound of this F-4 in the distance is rather nice! (From about 0.54 to 1.17 ish)

I agree, you have the whining of the compressor that is not bad. But the sound nearby the plane is not to good.

On the other hand the plane machine gun sound is a little unrealistic, to cinema like.

11 minutes ago, von_Michelstamm said:

how do i install this? Where is the link?

You can't the guy won't release it. He's a salty fool who likes what little attention he can still garner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

You can't the guy won't release it. He's a salty fool who likes what little attention he can still garner.

Yeah, if he intends to keep his mod private, why make and release videos on Youtube? That's really puzzling.