ReShade

ReShade

Layered clouds

Layered clouds

Rain clouds

Layered clouds

MOD : CloudsV12.1 (_greysky) + 2K Cloud mapsBetter rain

clouds_samples=128

I don't have reshade, is it essential to. See the towering clouds? 

51 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

I don't have reshade, is it essential to. See the towering clouds? 

Hello, The cumulonimbus download has the towering clouds. Just add it to whichever version you select. I have all the details in the original post :salute:

• Thanks 1

I have tried these mods a while ago, but which versions do you need with game version 4.007c ?

In the original post there are so many LoL.

I use Version 12.1 GREY SKY + Cumulonimbus Clouds with no issues whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, JohnHolmes said:

Thank you so much for your hard work. The results are truly stunning and have made my experiences playing this game massively enhanced.

I just wish there was a solution for the halo / blue outline of aircraft in front of clouds.

2020_6_1__10_36_18.jpg

Really love this mod but i had to disable it because i have the exact same problems.

3 minutes ago, Mainstay said:

Really love this mod but i had to disable it because i have the exact same problems.

I think this is caused by the deferred shader thing implemented on last patch. Not sure if the mod's author can help?

23 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

I think this is caused by the deferred shader thing implemented on last patch. Not sure if the mod's author can help?

No it's not caused by the shader. Other changes were made the graphics engine that were in the same update that causes this. Will be largely eliminated in the next update.

Jason

• Like 13
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -=[LJK]=-KampferAs said:

So, is the halo resolved in 4.008 patch today

Yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, -=[LJK]=-KampferAs said:

Not completely - it is still there (can see it in certain situations at 1080p) - but not nearly as noticeable as before (and as Jason says, largely eliminated -- just not completely)

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, -=[LJK]=-KampferAs said:

What is " HALO"? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Avyx said:

What is " HALO"? 

People are using that term to describe the outlining of aircraft in the background color (ignoring the presence of clouds - so often noticeable in a shade of blue corresponding to the sky color against the clouds) - this was introduced with 4.007, but has been adjusted and greatly diminished (though not entirely eliminated) in 4.008.

...and also pointing out, that this isn't related specifically to the realistic clouds mod, but across the game (with/without mods) in general...

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, Redwo 1f

Wasn't using the mod for a long time (stutter problems). 
Last weekend I reinstalled Windows, adjusted overclock and voilá, now IL-2 is better than ever. Came back to install the mod and, wow, it's stunning. Way better than the pictures on opening post. I'm really impressed. Hope it can make to the official content somehow, MP would be awesome.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, Avyx said:

I moved the folder I downloaded, into the MODS folder, and than I activated with JSGME

Maybe a path problem? JSGME is heavily dependent of folder structure to work correctly. 
Let's suppose you named this mod folder like "Better_Clouds", and your JSGME mod's folder is called MODS, then, just check you have the following in your IL-2 folder: MODS\Better_Clouds\data\<rest of files>...

If you have anything (another folder) between "Better_Clouds" and "data" in the path above, then move the data folder directly below the "Better_Clouds" and you'll be set. In JSGME, activate the "Better_Clouds" option.

11 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Thanks @jokerBR :)

Oh no, it's the other way around, it is me who thank you, sir. Most Impacting Mod award. :good:

I’m a bit new to this mod and can see 22 separate download links on the first post, which is confusing to say the least.  Should I test all of them at random to find one that I like or do I go for the last one on the list as the most up to date?

Featherd _IV,

I would recommend;

* Version 12.1 GREY SKY
* Cumulonimbus Clouds

Drop both in your MODS folder.
Enable Version 12.1 GREY SKY first, then Cumulonimbus Clouds.
Cumulonimbus Clouds gives you amazing storm clouds hundreds of meters high in certain settings and is truly an awe inspiring sight.

If you have stutter issues look at installing 2K Cloud Maps.

**If you are a VR user  Version 9.1 Revised 3 GREY SKY might be a better choice for you.

You'll fall in love with these clouds I guarantee it!

• Thanks 1

@Feathered,

Or Version 12.1.

Version GREY SKY is too greyish to my taste.

Adding the Cumulonimbus Clouds gives wonderful cloud masses but can be demanding on the system.

I also installed the gpreset file which changes the cloud sample back to 128.

Besides beautiful clouds and better lighting the stock game wobbly cloud issue is history.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I’m a bit new to this mod and can see 22 separate download links on the first post, which is confusing to say the least.  Should I test all of them at random to find one that I like or do I go for the last one on the list as the most up to date?

Yeah sorry for all the old downloads. I left them there for anyone who had liked a previous version. It was sort of a work in progress. 
  Anyway, I have instructions at the bottom of the OP. Version 12.1 is the latest and has two options. The grey sky has a few random days mixed in with overcast and heavy weather, but mostly blue sky’s above the clouds, the other version is the same but without grey.  Version 9.1 R3 is for weaker systems with VR. 

• Thanks 1

I have a doubt about what happens when yo have some clouds mods activated, and an update appears which improves the relevant graphics.- Provided that updates are automatic without any warning, there is no posibility to restore the original clouds previously.-

43 minutes ago, Solitojorgesoo said:

I have a doubt about what happens when yo have some clouds mods activated, and an update appears which improves the relevant graphics.- Provided that updates are automatic without any warning, there is no posibility to restore the original clouds previously.-

I’m not sure I understand what your saying. 
If you use JSGME, then it should uninstall the mod restoring the original clouds. 
If you install this manually, then you will simply remove the sky folder from the graphics folder. 

2 hours ago, Solitojorgesoo said:

updates are automatic without any warning, there is no posibility to restore the original clouds previously.-

You are correct.  Once an update occurs the previous version of anything that changed is forever lost, at least to us the consumer although the Dev's may have some kind of backups available to them..

However with the cloud mod you retain whatever version you installed so although the stock clouds may have changed and been lost, your modded clouds remain in your possession and under your control.

Thanks for the tips on installation.  It looks like the stock 9.1 is the best for my current system.  :salute:

21 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I’m not sure I understand what your saying. 
If you use JSGME, then it should uninstall the mod restoring the original clouds. 
If you install this manually, then you will simply remove the sky folder from the graphics folder. 

I know JSGME can restore the original clouds, but my doubt is about what happens if an update modifies the clouds graphics, which are already modded, without giving the chance to  restore them previously to its original state  ?

In this case, remove all mods and check integrity of your install, and everything will be fine again.

Posted (edited)

Don't believe IL2 mods work the way you are concerned about.

Think about it - if you go into game settings and untick the mods enabled box your game reverts completely to vanilla regardless of the mods installed.

If you uninstall Rowdy's clouds mod the sky folder is completely removed from \IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics. ie the original game files are held in a compressed format in gtp files and the game has been programmed in such a way that if mods are enabled and the game finds a relevant folder (eg the sky folder) as it starts then it will load those files in preference to the info in the gtp files.

I believe this is why enabling mods and disabling mods forces a game restart as the game has to reload the files according to your choice.

So my belief is that mods generally (there may be some that do something different that I am unaware of) do not replace game files but coexist along side game files and the choice of mods enabled/disabled tells the game exe which to load on start up. Patching the game files is done outside the game either in the launcher or steam. So you could get into the situation where post patch playing with mods enabled and some mods installed will cause you to experience issues because the mod versions of files and data are out of date but simply disabling mods or uninstalling the responsible mod would resolve the issue as you would then be using the up to date post patch game files.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
typo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have an automatically stored file related to the clouds mod in the JSGME backup folder, maybe the original state of the mod is saved there. But I'm not sure.

I use a lot of mods simultaneously but not many of them having a backup file there too.(Only a VR mod, the German radio calls and some plane skins to be precisely.)

Edited by vonGraf

In practice, you may be concerned (if much) only with mods that can be used in "mods off" mode. So far, I've never experienced problems while doing my upgrades automatically "over" mods, because as Stonehouse explained, mods that require "mods on" mode don't replace original game files.

Hey, late to the party here, but I’ve got so say thanks to the creator.

I thought the clouds in IL2 since I’ve come back here again from DCS are great, but with this mod they’re really something else. Version 9.1 Rev 3 in VR with the cumulous is simply superb!

• Thanks 1

Hello, first I would like to say that this mod is fantastic, it looks phenomenal and I like the new skydomes and light. It is one of the best mods but I have a problem with the mod. The clouds look weird in my computer, they look square-ish and sometimes it looks like they are running at 3 fps or so. I have a rtx 2070 super and i7 7700 (non k) and 16gb of ram, I installed the mod via JSGME by putting first the version 12.1 GREY SKY, then the Cumulonimbus Clouds, then the 2k clouds and at the end the gprest that was recomended. In the gpreset I have tried to change the value of 128 for 512 but it does not seem to work, I've also changed the motion blur to 40 (I only modified the third preset, the other two remained the same). My graphics settings are everything maxed out including the clouds to extreme quality, I only disable the HDR and the filters for the landscape. Here are some pictures of the clouds. Does somebody else experienced the same issues? I've read almost all the comments and I could not find something like this. I hope can somebody help me please because this is a great addition to the game that I would like to enjoy. Thank you.

20200806122443_1.jpg

20200806122454_1.jpg

20200806124630_1.jpg

20200806163134_1.jpg

20200806124707_1.jpg

Edited by DahnevJ

15 minutes ago, DahnevJ said:

Hello, first I would like to say that this mod is fantastic, it looks phenomenal and I like the new skydomes and light. It is one of the best mods but I have a problem with the mod. The clouds look weird in my computer, they look square-ish and sometimes it looks like they are running at 3 fps or so. I have a rtx 2070 super and i7 7700 (non k) and 16gb of ram, I installed the mod via JSGME by putting first the version 12.1 GREY SKY, then the Cumulonimbus Clouds, then the 2k clouds and at the end the gprest that was recomended. In the gpreset I have tried to change the value of 128 for 512 but it does not seem to work, I've also changed the motion blur to 40 (I only modified the third preset, the other two remained the same). My graphics settings are everything maxed out including the clouds to extreme quality, I only disable the HDR and the filters for the landscape. Here are some pictures of the clouds. Does somebody else experienced the same issues? I've read almost all the comments and I could not find something like this. I hope can somebody help me please because this is a great addition to the game that I would like to enjoy. Thank you.

20200806122443_1.jpg

20200806122454_1.jpg

20200806124630_1.jpg

20200806163134_1.jpg

20200806124707_1.jpg

Try first by setting clouds to High instead of Extreme. That's mentioned somewhere within this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nadelbaum said:

Try first by setting clouds to High instead of Extreme. That's mentioned somewhere within this thread.

Hi Nadelbaum I have tried that before but I will try it one more time and see if hopefully fixes, thank you for your response.