rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 6-1-20)

Thank you ... what happiness!

Great. Just right for testing the new Yak-9s!

First 3 flights didn't show any problems, the toned-down colors look very good now for my taste.

Posted (edited)

Can someone post a mission with 31,000ft (or near enough) clouds, I have the mods installed correctly, still haven't seen any massive high clouds?

Does anyone have a photo or screenshot of some of the new high cumulonimbus clouds at 31,000 odd feet?

I even replaced all summer heavy clouds with the sky config files inside the file from the cumulonimbus mod and still haven't come across them...they should be forced to load when heavy weather has been chosen...but nope, nothing.
I haven't found them in quick missions, official missions or any generated mission made by PWCG. Otherwise the v12(.1) cloud mod is working as expected but the cumulonimbus mod doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Edited by NZXExploit

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for your hard work. The results are truly stunning and have made my experiences playing this game massively enhanced.

I just wish there was a solution for the halo / blue outline of aircraft in front of clouds.

2020_6_1__10_36_18.jpg

Edited by JohnHolmes
  • Thanks 1

Nice overcast and bad weather below, very impressive. The new raindrops are a fine addition too.

Clouds5.thumb.jpg.1d177f670708798ffc485afc4929f460.jpgClouds7.thumb.jpg.998a13275994e68dc29959711d54138c.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NZXExploit said:

Does anyone have a photo or screenshot of some of the new high cumulonimbus clouds at 31,000 odd feet?

1507968164_Screenshot(117).thumb.png.0743e3e682153377f5519c9d2d8aa8be.png
1181662024_Screenshot(120)_LI.thumb.jpg.2e52cdf46a5cf383558341d8a966b422.jpg
1957622911_Screenshot(119).thumb.png.3d5a9ed299b37b9e2cfbec83c75d715b.png

These pics are from the mission editor. You can adjust the cloud height and cloud thickness in this. The QMB is more than likely has a small chance of building this for you with the cloud thickness to max. It randomly selects one out of ten presets for heavy clouds ( or which ever you selected ). Possibly someone can post a single mission for you with the cloud height to the max, I’m not home. Or if you use the editor, you can try this. 

2 hours ago, JohnHolmes said:

Thank you so much for your hard work. The results are truly stunning and have made my experiences playing this game massively enhanced.

I just wish there was a solution for the halo / blue outline of aircraft in front of clouds.

2020_6_1__10_36_18.jpg

Unfortunately this happened after the 4.006 update. 

Hi Rowdyb00t, 

Just to let you know I'm really enjoying V12.1. 

I spent the best part of the afternoon optimising my creaking 980ti to strike a nice balance. 

So far so good, its working very well (But I think I'm squeezing all the 980ti can give at this point 😄.... Time for a new card soon i think).

Anyway, the clouds are excellent, especially enjoying getting lost in the cumulonimbus!

Great work Rowdy. 🍻

So many versions and various optional add on’s. So what to do for the a

good experience without much or any FPS impact? 

Posted (edited)

Honestly haven't noticed any major FPS drop with 12.1 grey, cumulonimbus and 2k textures. If you were worried then leave out the 2k textures. The cumulonimbus is worth keeping if you at all can. My card is a bit better than yours - 2070 - but would have thought a 1080 would cope ok

Edited by No457_Stonehouse

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

So many versions and various optional add on’s. So what to do for the a

good experience without much or any FPS impact? 

Depending on your system, I have four different options for the main mod.  The Versions of 12.1,  one has a few grey sky’s in heavy and overcast, the other is blue sky’s. These have more detailed and larger clouds, so they may have a bit more impact on your system depending on your hardware. Most who fly with a monitor have little impact I believe. I have a beefy system and fly VR. I use 12.1 grey sky and the FPS hit is not bad. 
  The Versions of 9.1 revised 3/ grey sky, mainly for the VR systems, has the smallest impact on FPS. The clouds are a bit less detailed and smaller ( vanilla game size ). All the new versions use the same lighting and skydomes. 
   So after you pick which one of those you want, then you have an option to add 2k cloud maps ( these cloud maps were upscaled and reworked, however the game inserts them as 512x512. The difference in these is probably just how they get reseeded into the game. )

Next option is cumulonimbus clouds. This changes, I forget, four? of the heavy cloud files making them “ cumulonimbus “. 

So now the choice is yours. :salute:

oh yeah I forgot: I recommend downloading the graphic preset file, it changes the cloud samples back to 128. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the great detail on your work rowdyb00t. I don’t quite understand the preset file though. 

In any case I’ll check out a few combinations and see what works best for me. Very impressive stuff! 

Edited by TheSNAFU

8 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Depending on your system, I have four different options for the main mod.  The Versions of 12.1,  one has a few grey sky’s in heavy and overcast, the other is blue sky’s. These have more detailed and larger clouds, so they may have a bit more impact on your system depending on your hardware. Most who fly with a monitor have little impact I believe. I have a beefy system and fly VR. I use 12.1 grey sky and the FPS hit is not bad. 
  The Versions of 9.1 revised 3/ grey sky, mainly for the VR systems, has the smallest impact on FPS. The clouds are a bit less detailed and smaller ( vanilla game size ). All the new versions use the same lighting and skydomes. 
   So after you pick which one of those you want, then you have an option to add 2k cloud maps ( these cloud maps were upscaled and reworked, however the game inserts them as 512x512. The difference in these is probably just how they get reseeded into the game. )

Next option is cumulonimbus clouds. This changes, I forget, four? of the heavy cloud files making them “ cumulonimbus “. 

So now the choice is yours. :salute:

oh yeah I forgot: I recommend downloading the graphic preset file, it changes the cloud samples back to 128. 

To be clear on this about the 2k and cumulonimbus clouds the can also be swapped on top of the 9.1 rev3 greysky, right, but do they have also negative impact on the game performance because I’m Because using VR. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

To be clear on this about the 2k and cumulonimbus clouds the can also be swapped on top of the 9.1 rev3 greysky, right, but do they have also negative impact on the game performance because I’m Because using VR. 

Yes you can use these with version 9 too. You might have some FPS impact depending on your rig. 

• Like 1

Fantastic work on those clouds!

Just a couple of questions:

How does the in-game setting clouds quality (Extreme, High, Medium, etc) affect the FPS with this MOD and recommended gpreset installed?

Which in-game clouds quality in recommended?

Does the recommended gpreset overwrite the in-game cloud quality settings

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, JG_deserteagle540 said:

Fantastic work on those clouds!

Just a couple of questions:

How does the in-game setting clouds quality (Extreme, High, Medium, etc) affect the FPS with this MOD and recommended gpreset installed?

Which in-game clouds quality in recommended?

Does the recommended gpreset overwrite the in-game cloud quality settings

I built the mod using High settings so that’s what I recommend. The graphic preset file is vanilla except I reverted the cloud samples from 64 back to 128 like before the extreme clouds were added in an update.

You can try different settings however, medium or extreme. You can even edit the cloud samples to your liking ( 96, 256, 512, 1024, ect. )

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1

Hi rowdyb00t .... just to check .... when we install the mods ... should both versions of the cloud files be installed  ie V9.1 and V9.1 Greysky .... its not one or the other ?

16 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Hi rowdyb00t .... just to check .... when we install the mods ... should both versions of the cloud files be installed  ie V9.1 and V9.1 Greysky .... its not one or the other ?

Not both of those - it is one or the other (either you want some greyskies in the mix or you don't - don't install both as the last one will overwrite the former).  You can, however, add the Cumulonibus add-on after one of those if you like (however, since you are intending on using the 9 series (intended to reduce FPS or for VR users) vs the 12 then you may not want this).

17 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Just one of them. Really there are four versions. 
9.1 R3 

9.1 R3 with grey sky

12.1 with grey sky

The grey sky is just In a few of the heavy and overcast cloud files. I like it. 

9880B189-FAB7-422B-A20F-C1BFA776CB0C.thumb.jpeg.376e4d1f1948416c82c5bf9c7f7159b1.jpeg

1597444491_Screenshot(96).thumb.jpg.60d1b94b3efb4c0527521bbde6c16dae.jpg

6 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Just one of them. Really there are four versions. 
9.1 R3 

9.1 R3 with grey sky

12.1 with grey sky

The grey sky is just In a few of the heavy and overcast cloud files. I like it. 

9880B189-FAB7-422B-A20F-C1BFA776CB0C.thumb.jpeg.376e4d1f1948416c82c5bf9c7f7159b1.jpeg

1597444491_Screenshot(96).thumb.jpg.60d1b94b3efb4c0527521bbde6c16dae.jpg

Thanks bud ...  actually I will try the V12 as Im not using VR yet ... too expensive! .... Im going to look at them now .. cant wait ! 

Sorry rowdyb00t .... one last question Im struggling to find an answer to ! .... when I try to add the Cumulonimbus mod after the CloudsV9.1revised3 mod I get error warning from JSGME tell me Im over writing files already changed in CloudsV9.1revised3 .... is that ok ? .... do I just say OK and enable it ?

It just means that certain files in the Clouds mod are being changed to give you the new cloud textures of the mod.  It's perfectly normal and if you remove the Cumulonimbus mod the Clouds9 mod will revert to the original mod files.

I may be wrong in my understanding but apparently nothing is actually overwritten just redirected.  That is when the game calls for a texture it is first directed to the mod texture and then again redirected to the modifying texture.  Thus when you remove a mod the 'path' changes back to the original.  In this case you remove the Cumulonimbus mod and the path reverts back to the Clouds9 path.  Remove Clouds9 and the path goes straight to the stock texture.

If I'm wrong about this....

mancurtain.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Sorry rowdyb00t .... one last question Im struggling to find an answer to ! .... when I try to add the Cumulonimbus mod after the CloudsV9.1revised3 mod I get error warning from JSGME tell me Im over writing files already changed in CloudsV9.1revised3 .... is that ok ? .... do I just say OK and enable it ?

Yes

• Like 1

Just to be clear, extreme cloud setting should be used in the game settings not high?

Thanks again for a terrific mod!!

45 minutes ago, Hopper64 said:

Just to be clear, extreme cloud setting should be used in the game settings not high?

Thanks again for a terrific mod!!

I recommend High setting for the clouds. That’s what I used to build the mod. But you can use what you like. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

I recommend High setting for the clouds. That’s what I used to build the mod. But you can use what you like. 

Thanks! Appreciate your efforts!!

• Like 1

Beautiful dawn at 6:45 am near Moscow.

Moscow645.thumb.jpg.5ee0c0f93ca2ccbda3d7877dc1b5c256.jpg

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

Moscow645-2.thumb.jpg.3f42e9e083766ea4fa2657f42658389c.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 3:34 AM, rowdyb00t said:

Hi rowdyb00t. I am not sure if this is a bug for laptops:

After I install the Graphic preset (using JSGME) my system slowed from 35fps to 5fps (Laptop with two graphics Intel and GTX 960M. In case you are not familiar, that mean application can run with either card (intel being the low spec for basic office application - save power)

After investigation  I found that my card selection in Nvidia control panel was changed to Intel (Previously I set manually to always use GTX (not auto select) for IL2 application). What is also strange is that even I uninstall Preset with JSGME I could not resolve the decrease in framerate. Also when I manually change Nvidia settings and restart Laptop also no return back to normal? Lucky for me latest patch (at that time) 4006.C restored my original present and now all back to normal, so I am hesitant to try again the Preset.

As your head is always in the clouds I add here a snap of our local sunrise few days back🎁

african sunrise.jpeg

Edited by screamingdemon

3 hours ago, vonGraf said:

Advanced issue found

? I can’t see anything behind your spoiler. 

39 minutes ago, screamingdemon said:

so I am hesitant to try again the Preset.

I’m not sure what the preset has to do with it. The only change to the preset file from vanilla is the cloud samples are reverted back to 128. So basically this is a stock preset file from before the “extreme” cloud option was added in an update. 
   Nice sunrise by the way :)

4 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I can’t see anything behind your spoiler. 

Lol, strange.. I didn't type anything about an issue. It's just a similar picture but with a swastika visible. And I can see it.

Everything is ok with the mod and looks good. :salute:

I'm still not so familiar at posting using this forum software, I had to try it twice maybe I made a mistake.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

Lol, strange.. I didn't type anything about an issue. It's just a similar picture but with a swastika visible. And I can see it.

Everything is ok with the mod and looks good. :salute:

I'm still not so familiar at posting using this forum software, I had to try it twice maybe I made a mistake.

I see it. It’s below the spoiler when you open it for some reason. 
  This is what I see

85AD72D1-2065-4C6B-B551-BC8E46ACB8FF.thumb.png.39a2b29a9594a584e26287e1c20c61a0.png

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Upvote 1

@screamingdemon.

I got a major drop in fps with the gpreset.

Now I only installed cloudsV12.1 and in-game high setting for the clouds. This works fine for me and the sky looks wonderful. 

7 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

This is what I see

Same here, but I don't know where the 'advanced issue' text comes from. :scratch_one-s_head:  I think from my first try to post a 'spoilered' picture, somehow it didn't work well and I deleted everything.

Didn't want to fool you.

What about those "2K Cloud maps", should they improve graphics or performance  ?

Should be installed over clouds version 12.1 and cumulonimbus  ?

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, jorgesoo said:

What about those "2K Cloud maps", should they improve graphics or performance  ?

Should be installed over clouds version 12.1 and cumulonimbus  ?

Thanks 

They change the look and have a bit of a performance hit. Yes, you can install them over 12.1 and cumulonimbus.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, konyanyachiwa said:

Thanks rowdyb00t.

This version  is fantastic!!

What exact setting, map, weather level did you use for this. I have yet to see towering clouds with this mod? 

12 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

What exact setting, map, weather level did you use for this. I have yet to see towering clouds with this mod? 

@Mysticpuma.

I hope you find my image informative.🙂

Graphics settings

Graphics settings

ReShade

ReShade

Layered clouds

Layered clouds

Rain clouds

Layered clouds

MOD : CloudsV12.1 (_greysky) + 2K Cloud mapsBetter rain

clouds_samples=128

• Like 1

I love this cloud mod, it gets even better with each update, thank you very much, really appreciated.:cool:

Maybe one day I will be able to buy a machine that will allow me to see things in all their glory, both stock effects and mods.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Missionbug said:

I love this cloud mod, it gets even better with each update, thank you very much, really appreciated.:cool:

+100

I think an image says more than words:

2020_6_19__22_11_54.jpg

2020_6_19__22_11_46.jpg

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1