Jump to content
rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 6-1-20)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

...oh, wait a minute...I am getting a subtle blue outline around aircraft (and some sights) as they get close to clouds, more prevalent in some aircraft than others, that I never noticed before. Not entirely sure if it is mod related or settings or new renderer...examining further.

 

(Edit - nope, not mods related as it is present in a clean set-up as well - think it is renderer related)

Edited by Redwo1f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that was the alternative aircraft visual option in the before mission settings (NORMAL, COMPLEX etc) so was going to try and disable that to see if those outlines go away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the blue outline when  using MSAA, but not when using FXAA, so I think its mod related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TP_Tufty said:

I get the blue outline when  using MSAA, but not when using FXAA, so I think its mod related.


  Try with no mods. It’s the renderer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TP_Tufty said:

get the blue outline when  using MSAA, but not when using FXAA, so I think its mod related.


sorry rowdyb00t,
 

 

I did actually mean to type NOT mod related!

Please put it down to old age!

The mod works and looks fanatastic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Rowdyb, just to share my impressions about v12. First some screenshot of stukas escort 8.45 in the morning (sorry but in VR my screenshot are one per eye...):

 

2020_5_22__6_36_19.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_25_37.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_25_29.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_25_3.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_21_4.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_52_6.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_52_0.jpg

 

2020_5_22__6_51_52.jpg

 

The impression I had is that it is a little too much yellowish, pinkish, purplish.

 

So I re-install v11.1 and it seem more realistic....for my taste, of course....

 

 

2020_5_22__8_5_15.jpg

 

2020_5_22__8_5_12.jpg

 

2020_5_22__8_2_55.jpg

 

2020_5_22__8_2_43.jpg

 

2020_5_22__8_1_12.jpg

 

2020_5_22__8_0_53.jpg

 

However this mod is fantastic!!

 

Ciao!

 

M

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hi Rowdyb, just to share my impressions about v12. First some screenshot of stukas escort 8.45 in the morning (sorry but in VR my screenshot are one per eye...):


   I’ve toned this down for the next release. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:


   I’ve toned this down for the next release. ;)

 

:good:

Good to hear read.

In early morning hours snow looks like sand with the yellowish colour.

 

I don't know why but sky appears to be very purple at sunrise sometimes.

Not each time though when flying the same mission with exactly the same settings, I found out by doing a quick test. For instance on Veliki Luki map at 08:30 AM.

 

 

Purple01.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

In early morning hours snow looks like sand with the yellowish colour.

 

I don't know why but sky appears to be very purple at sunrise sometimes.

Not each time though when flying the same mission with exactly the same settings, I found out by doing a quick test. For instance on Veliki Luki map at 08:30 AM.


  The reason the sky appears differently sometimes is because I’ve created seven different skydomes for each summer and winter. I have already tweaked a few of them, some were to saturated. In the winter, the reason the sunlight reflects purple or orange is because of the light.bmps. I’m going to adjust the ambient light so it’s not so dramatic. First I thought this was neat but now I suppose it’s a little too much. Thanks for the feedback. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi rowdyb001 sorry if you have been asked a thousand times but is it ok to use cloud mods with 4.006 or should we give you some time to release an update ? :salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I got a good performance boost with the last update, I have turned clouds back on. Now I remember the main reason why I turned them off. They do not look nice and are not worth the performance hit. I will give your clouds a shot when you make your update and see if my rig can handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Hi rowdyb001 sorry if you have been asked a thousand times but is it ok to use cloud mods with 4.006 or should we give you some time to release an update ? :salute:


  Yes as long as you don’t use the 4k cloud map

8 minutes ago, Danziger said:

Now that I got a good performance boost with the last update, I have turned clouds back on. Now I remember the main reason why I turned them off. They do not look nice and are not worth the performance hit. I will give your clouds a shot when you make your update and see if my rig can handle it.


   Did you try the version 9.1 revised2?  They are not taxing. I made them VR. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:


  Yes as long as you don’t use the 4k cloud map


   Did you try the version 9.1 revised2?  They are not taxing. I made them VR. 

I will right now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:


  Yes as long as you don’t use the 4k cloud map


   Did you try the version 9.1 revised2?  They are not taxing. I made them VR. 

Also, I have seen it asked and answered a lot. Maybe you could add a section to the OP with the installation procedure? Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danziger said:

They do not look nice


I forgot to ask what doesn’t look nice, sky or clouds? :) I definitely like feedback. 
Also updated the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:


I forgot to ask what doesn’t look nice, sky or clouds? :) I definitely like feedback. 
Also updated the OP

I was referring to the stock clouds. Yours are a big improvement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Danziger said:

I was referring to the stock clouds. Yours are a big improvement!


  Gotcha! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:


  Gotcha! Thanks!

So I installed the V9R2 with Cumulonimbus and it was a big improvement.

 

I then installed V12 with Cumulonimbus and 2k clouds and it was orgasmic. I love those clouds. Those are what GB needs by default. Unfortunately, it murdered my laptop. My frame rate was in the teens and twenties. I really wish they could do some kind of computer coding genius optimization magic to make these work. 

 

2020_5_22__18_45_48.jpg

2020_5_22__18_46_37.jpg

2020_5_22__18_47_8.jpg

2020_5_22__18_48_18.jpg

2020_5_22__18_48_31.jpg

2020_5_22__18_48_50.jpg

Edited by Danziger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made some compromises to get my frames back up above 30 with V12 and Cumulonimbus. 

 

I don't put a bunch of multi-crew bombers like He-111s in the mission. I turned off the 2k clouds. I fly on average or cloudy weather instead of heavy or overcast. 

 

I had the clouds off for so long that I got used to flying in clear weather all the time. But now there is just no going back. You just can't fly without good clouds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OrLoK

 

   Interesting vids my friend. :biggrin:

Its good advertising for Great Battles!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ooops! was thr wrong clip! ment to post one with all yer pretty clouds! Was having huge audio probs in that one! sorry!

Edited by OrLoK
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, rowdyb00t said:


   I’ve toned this down for the next release. ;)

Great! Thanks!!

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

 

I am sorry if my question has already been answered, but with what in-game settings the Mod is supposed to work? Does it work only with the highest cloud in-game setting or does it work with "high" in-game cloud settings ? 

 

Thanks in advance for the answer! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HammerCed said:

Hi everyone, 

 

I am sorry if my question has already been answered, but with what in-game settings the Mod is supposed to work? Does it work only with the highest cloud in-game setting or does it work with "high" in-game cloud settings ? 

 

Thanks in advance for the answer! 

 

The recommendation is to use High setting. It has been stated that Ultra setting will make the clouds look wrong. So stick to High if you can. Also, again stated that you should use the gpresets.cfg file with the "clouds_samples=128"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nadelbaum said:

The recommendation is to use High setting. It has been stated that Ultra setting will make the clouds look wrong. So stick to High if you can. Also, again stated that you should use the gpresets.cfg file with the "clouds_samples=128"

Hey thanks a lot for this prompt reply!! 

 

Yes I am using the gpresets.cfg but wasn't sure about the in-game cloud settings! 

 

Everything clear now! 

 

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick Q.

 

is there any way to increase the visibility of sun/crepusculer rays peeking through clouds? theyre jyst bsrely visibke in VR and id like them to be a bit more obvious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrLoK said:

quick Q.

 

is there any way to increase the visibility of sun/crepusculer rays peeking through clouds? theyre jyst bsrely visibke in VR and id like them to be a bit more obvious!


  I’ve messed around with this quite a bit and found out that when I turn up the opacity of the sun rays any more than what it is, it causes a massive blinding halo above the ground. I’m not sure why but that’s how it is. Maybe I could squeeze another number out of it. I’ll test it out later. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rowdyb00t,

 

Just to say thanks for this mod.

 

I had tried an earlier version a few months back which wasn't really what i was looking for at the time but this v12 is a huge improvement.

 

Really nice cloud-scapes with your mod and they are arguably better than vanilla clouds in most scenarios IMO.

 

My only negative experience is that i get bad aliasing from cloud reflections on water with this mod which i don't get with vanilla clouds. (I had tested using with heavy clouds,  morning time QMB with 8x8 units.  i turned off 2k clouds also to test as that seemed too expensive on FPS)

 

Probably my aging GPU (980ti) just cant handle all the eye candy the game has been throwing at it lately! 😁

 

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to any updates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I forgot to say,

   I have version 12.1, 12.1grey done I’m now working on the versions for 9.1revised 3. I should have it ready for download by tomorrow. 
  
My change log:

-   I reworked the over saturated skydomes in both summer and winter files ( not so much exaggeration in the sky, more natural )

-   Toned down the “pink” on the horizon in winter ( this was to sharp on the sky, it still has a pink tone at dawn and dusk though)

-   Adjusted the some lighting in winter “orange/purple” ambient. It’s now a shorter length and less prominent when rising/setting with the sun. 
-   Adjusted some of the ambient lighting for day in winter. A couple seemed to purple. 
-   Fixed some of the fog color parameters in a few files ( color match to the ambient light )

-   Rematched some of the skydomes with the proper lighting. For instance, clear, light and medium clouds will have a “clearer“ atmosphere with brighter lighting for most of those files. Heavy and Overcast will mostly have a “thicker” atmosphere, with less lighting. 
-   Found and fixed a few cirrus cloud lines. 

Summer and winter each have seven different skydomes. Summer has 5 different lighting options to go with and winter has 4. Doing this creates so many different more scenarios for each day.  
 

Anyway I think you’ll like it :salute:

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy!  Can't wait!  (but i will of course).:clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

My only negative experience is that i get bad aliasing from cloud reflections on water with this mod which i don't get with vanilla clouds. (I had tested using with heavy clouds,  morning time QMB with 8x8 units.  i turned off 2k clouds also to test as that seemed too expensive on FPS)


 I’m going to say that I believe that’s on your end. There’s so many different ways to adjust or mess up aliasing and graphics. Between the nVidia control panel and all the options in game now, it can be very time consuming getting your good balance. 
 Since the new update I’m still adjusting things but I don’t have to much aliasing on reflections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:


 I’m going to say that I believe that’s on your end. There’s so many different ways to adjust or mess up aliasing and graphics. Between the nVidia control panel and all the options in game now, it can be very time consuming getting your good balance. 
 Since the new update I’m still adjusting things but I don’t have to much aliasing on reflections. 

 

Yeah most likely my end Rowdy, I don't disagree!

 

I could probably do with tweaking some settings in nVidia CP to get it right perhaps.

 

I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to tweaking these settings but I'll try and play around some more as it would be great to get the reflections looking as good as vanilla clouds do on my PC.

 

Your clouds look amazing bar that one issue I am experiencing with them.

 

Anyway, keep up the good work and I look forward to testing the new update.

 

  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 часов назад, rowdyb00t сказал:

I have version 12.1, 12.1grey done I’m now working on the versions for 9.1revised 3. I should have it ready for download by tomorrow. 

thanks a lot! We are wait for fix it your,master!:good:

and 4k clouds

Edited by huligan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, huligan said:

and 4k clouds


The 4k cloud maps quit working after the 4.006 update. But if you have a 4k monitor then viola!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 минут назад, rowdyb00t сказал:

But if you have a 4k monitor then viola!!

no.I have 2K VR HMD only(Rift S)

2K Clouds works fine!

Edited by huligan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated the OP with Versions 12.1 and 9.1 Revised 3. Each with grey sky options. Changelog a few posts up or at the bottom of the Original Post. 

 

891303670_Screenshot(128).thumb.png.d2ececb494b89ee68f1e590d28f7ee25.png741033958_Screenshot(129).thumb.png.dfc0dac6618a8e29eb9c5eea29b82d0e.png

 

1300036968_Screenshot(130).thumb.png.6f268369573428260769aff0d336ebb3.png838298669_Screenshot(131).thumb.png.e4549d9056b4982a570d016f93765818.png

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, itsbillyfrazier said:

Look forward to trying it out. Thanks Rowdy.


You are welcome ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...