rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 6-1-20)

@rowdyb00t

Is there any version, which doesnt change the atmospheric haze?

The clouds are really good but the long range visability is too far and this bluish tint of the vanilla setting looks more realistic to me.

@PicksKing

So in the sky.ini files is a line called fogcorrection and the vanilla is set to 0.45 across the board. In the Mod, most of the clear and light weather is set to 0.55 or less. Medium, Heavy and Overcast will vary between 0.34 and 0.5 depending on the cloud cover. So the 0.0 would be pea soup and 0.6 is clear. It’s quite easy to edit. The fog color on the other hand, has been slightly edited to match the cloud cover. The vanilla game has blue everything, ambient, clouds, haze ect. 

This mod is stunningly beautiful. I just flew a Moscow campaign mission intercepting bombers in the early morning with heavy cloud and I just couldn’t get over how wonderful it looked! Thank you so much for all your work @rowdyb00t :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

You don't need mods on for this to work, right? I turned them off and still saw the new clouds....unless I did something wrong.

Do you  use JSGME ? 

49 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

You don't need mods on for this to work, right? I turned them off and still saw the new clouds....unless I did something wrong.

Thats strange. When you disable mods you have to restart the game for it to take effect. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, I did. But never mind. I'm wrong. You do need mods on to see the full affect. Nice thing is, even with mods off, it improves the default clouds. 

By the way...you really did a fantastic job with this.

Edited by Poochnboo

Just now, Poochnboo said:

Nice thing is, even with mods off, it improves the default clouds. 

That’s also strange. With mods off, all of the things I have changed should go back to default. 

2 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

That’s also strange. With mods off, all of the things I have changed should go back to default. 

Agreed.  With Mods off I get 100% stock clouds.

I enable my clouds via JSGME.  Is it possible that you dropped the data folder into the main game folder directly Poochnboo?

@ rowdyb00t, if he did that might some files be "permanently" ovewritten?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Beebop said:

if he did that might some files be "permanently" ovewritten?

No, if it was dropped in the main folder it would be null. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

Okay, I must have been affected by some sort of placebo effect. I said to myself, "Wait a minute. When I turned the mods off, I'm SURE the clouds still looked good!" So I just went and did that and......no...they suck. Excuse the brain fart. Mods are on and remaining on.

Posted (edited)

@LizLemon

I did a test on the cloud map you sent and its not readable. Here are some screens in the ME of 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096. As you can see, I believe that the maps are seeded differently causing the different look, however I don't understand why I get a difference in FPS ( VR ) :dry:

512x512

1363346285_Screenshot(122).thumb.png.7e853bfa6c02f0df3daae1640d3ec11b.png

1024x1024

105525273_Screenshot(123).thumb.png.d4dac706aa217329721660081b908e3b.png

2048x2048

1384718070_Screenshot(124).thumb.png.a81757e4543bf1cdddc802472a45da80.png

4096x4096

95030245_Screenshot(125).thumb.png.743601470f1072cf04f4e048df33c79b.png

So.... no matter what they are as you say 512x512

Edited by rowdyb00t
Grammar

Hi ... really sorry if this instruction is else where but do I enable ALL the mods from page one ... I count 7 including the gpreset file and 4k clouds (not 2k)

And does the gpreset file change  other things besides the clouds

Many thanks ....  looking forward to trying this  

Posted (edited)

You need only one of the mods (I'd try one from v.9 on) and the gpreset. The gpreset changes only one entry about the clouds and the 2k/4k clouds are totally optional.

Edited by vonGraf
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Hi ... really sorry if this instruction is else where but do I enable ALL the mods from page one ... I count 7 including the gpreset file and 4k clouds (not 2k)

And does the gpreset file change  other things besides the clouds

Many thanks ....  looking forward to trying this  

The version 9.1’s are for VR and the 12’s are for  monitors, these are the latest versions. I fly VR and use version 12 with the grey sky so I’d say which ever, depending on your pc performance. 
   So start with either one you want then download the gpresets ( this changes cloud samples back to 128 like before one of the game updates changed them ). After that, the cumulonimbus, 2k and 4 k cloud maps are optional. :)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

The version 9.1’s are for VR and the 12’s are for  monitors, these are the latest versions. I fly VR and use version 12 with the grey sky so I’d say which ever, depending on your pc performance. 
   So start with either one you want then download the gpresets ( this changes cloud samples back to 128 like before one of the game updates changed them ). After that, the cumulonimbus, 2k and 4 k cloud maps are optional. :)

Went flying today and was thinking about what a great job you have done with the overcast and clouds, looks a lot like what I was seeing this morning, great job!

image.thumb.png.fbaf7665a22be773d74be20e9b6be991.png

image.thumb.png.295819cbfd83affdd3cae4d6ef493731.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Whats that in the screenshots?? Theres mountains in this game?? I have nearly 600 hours played and haven't seen those yet.. 😵

Where can I find them?

19 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Went flying today and was thinking about what a great job you have done with the overcast and clouds, looks a lot like what I was seeing this morning, great job!

image.thumb.png.fbaf7665a22be773d74be20e9b6be991.png

image.thumb.png.295819cbfd83affdd3cae4d6ef493731.png

what plane u be flying up there

23 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Thanks my friend, I have to say I’m a bit jealous that you fly for a living. Im a heavy equipment operator, so I’m always in the dirt, breathing diesel smoke all day :biggrin:  I only get to enjoy the sky from below. 
37DF2B09-B06B-4481-B8F6-EB72CFD3399B.thumb.jpeg.fb7dedadb5f262e5f28453a2fc75cd92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Thanks my friend, I have to say I’m a bit jealous that you fly for a living. Im a heavy equipment operator, so I’m always in the dirt, breathing diesel smoke all day :biggrin:  I only get to enjoy the sky from below. 
37DF2B09-B06B-4481-B8F6-EB72CFD3399B.thumb.jpeg.fb7dedadb5f262e5f28453a2fc75cd92.jpeg

I did drive one of the very small BobCats sometimes on the demolition sites, now I'm retired.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vonGraf said:

I did drive one of the very small BobCats sometimes on the demolition sites, now I'm retired.

I want to retire...... But only half way there

• Upvote 1

@rowdyb00t;

Looking at your picture of your job I must say your cloud mod is doing a great job!  They are the most realistic clouds....😀

Myself, I am retired.  And I've never been busier.  Big difference is I don't have a boss/company/corporation holding that weekly paycheck over my head.  I come to "work" when I want, take breaks when I want,take time off whenever I want....good thing too or I'd never learn the ME.

And oh, yeah, CloudsV12_greysky, Cumulonimbus and Graphic Presets make for the best skies ever.  last night I got lenticular clouds!  How cool is that? 

Heck, I didn't even know they had been invented in WWI yet. 😁

Lenticular Clouds.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Thanks my friend, I have to say I’m a bit jealous that you fly for a living. Im a heavy equipment operator, so I’m always in the dirt, breathing diesel smoke all day :biggrin:  I only get to enjoy the sky from below

Well even with just  looking at the sky from below you did a great job with this mod, this is why I posted the pictures, looks a lot like your mod.

Thanks for the great work.

• Like 1

so does anyone know where the snowy mountains are located in game? would love to fly a u2 around them

19 minutes ago, mrBruce2 said:

so does anyone know where the snowy mountains are located in game? would love to fly a u2 around them

Kuban, in the southeast end of the map. 

2136619597_Screenshot(76).thumb.jpg.55aae5966fd7f696c0693458eaefb618.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrBruce2 said:

Load up the Kuban map with these clouds and the 4K cockpit mod(s) and you are in flightsim Heaven.

Top shelf eye-candy!

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much Rowdyb00t and CanadaOne ! Appreciate it

• Thanks 1

Also, how do I use the recommended gpreset? I downloaded it and its a text doc with multiple settings, not sure what to do

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mrBruce2 said:

Also, how do I use the recommended gpreset? I downloaded it and its a text doc with multiple settings, not sure what to do

If you use JSGME, then drop it in your mods folder and enable. The file structure is data/luascripts/gpresets

It looks the best with the clouds set to high. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

Just now, rowdyb00t said:

If you use JSGME, then drop it in your mods folder and enable. The file structure is data/luascripts/gpresets

oh, just drop the whole thing in? I don't need to open the text doc and do anything specific?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, mrBruce2 said:

oh, just drop the whole thing in? I don't need to open the text doc and do anything specific?

Yes sir. Drop in your mods folder

Edited by rowdyb00t

Just now, rowdyb00t said:

Yes sir. 

Thanks again, you're a true goddamn American hero

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have run over 40+ quick missions on heavy clouds with this mod on.

Clouds update fine and look great....except.
Have the mods loaded via JGSME like this

Clouds V12

Cumulonimbus

gpresets

No other mods installed.

I have been unable to find or see any Cumulonimbus clouds at all, let alone going up to 31,000ft clouds.
I have used all maps and different seasons as well.

Is there a command to force the 'type' of heavy clouds set that will be used so I can test if the mod is working correctly as I can't believe in 40+ quick missions i have just got unlucky with the mission not selecting one of the 3/10 heavy cloud sets that contain Cumulonimbus clouds in it.

Does this even work in the quick missions generator?

Edited by NZXExploit

4 minutes ago, NZXExploit said:

I have run over 40+ quick missions on heavy clouds with this mod on.

Clouds update fine and look great....except.
Have the mods loaded via JGSME like this

Clouds V12

Cumulonimbus

No other mods installed.

I have been unable to find or see any Cumulonimbus clouds at all, let alone going up to 31,000ft clouds.
I have used all maps and different seasons as well.

Is there a command to force the 'type' of heavy clouds set that will be used so I can test if the mod is working correctly as I can't believe in 40+ quick missions i have just got unlucky with the mission not selecting one of the 3/10 heavy cloud sets that contain Cumulonimbus clouds in it.

Does this even work in the quick missions generator?

Hmmm.. not sure why it would not load them in the QMB. It might be that the cloud thickness, which is not selectable in the QMB, is not set high when loading. Still though, they should be definitely noticeable. 
  Just to be clear, you installed V12 first then cumulonimbus?

Yip installed V12 BEFORE cumulonimbus
I mod a lot so know my way around modded games. I'm trying a full complete reinstall to see if that makes any difference. I'm also playing through a PWCG campaign so hope to see the clouds pop in to one of those missions as well.

6 minutes ago, NZXExploit said:

Yip installed V12 BEFORE cumulonimbus
I mod a lot so know my way around modded games. I'm trying a full complete reinstall to see if that makes any difference. I'm also playing through a PWCG campaign so hope to see the clouds pop in to one of those missions as well.

If your familiar with the Mission Editor, The cumulonimbus clouds are in 03_heavy_01,04 and 08. Edit the weather in any single mission you may have on your game. If not, I can send you an edited mission. 

The gpresets are supposed to be loaded last after V12 and cumulonimbus?  I thought they were supposed to be loaded first. 

Just now, Deacon352nd said:

The gpresets are supposed to be loaded last after V12 and cumulonimbus?  I thought they were supposed to be loaded first. 

Doesn't matter. It is one file and goes to different place.

@rowdyb00t as an VR user I did use the 9.1 rev grey sky and its great to see a more darker sky and not that always summer sky. One remark if viewing to the sky I noticed its does have a pinkish color, you should try to remove that pink color as its a bit of a immersive killer.