rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 6-1-20)

8 minutes ago, Avyx said:

I'm just speechless

4k textures. Again, performance not affected, at all ( I can't understand that )

" Boiling effect " almost completly gone. The clouds look incredible.

Ok thanks for testing them out. I’m going to add a cloud map download option for the next version 2k and 4k.  The mod will be released with 1024x1024 cloud maps. For the VR version I will have either 256x256 or 512x512, that will help performance. To be honest I never really noticed the difference in quality of say 512 or 2048 in VR. 

• Like 1

Did another test, with clouds_samples=2048

I flew at about 7 km altitude when I made the screenshots ( nr 5 printscreen was made 2 days ago )

Offtopic : what's the " name " of the effect for the printscreen nr 5 ? Color banding ? Posterization ? What is actually causing this ? 8 bit panel vs 10 bit panel  ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avyx said:

Offtopic : what's the " name " of the effect for the printscreen nr 5 ? Color banding ? Posterization ? What is actually causing this ? 8 bit panel vs 10 bit panel  ?

I’m not exactly sure what it is called. This effect happened when I enlarged the cloud sector size and height in the sky.ini to a very large size. Which stretches the image. 

You mean the option " clouds_samples "  ?

I have this effect ( not so pronunced ) on other flight sims as well

12 minutes ago, Avyx said:

You mean the option " clouds_samples "  ?

No I mean the cloud files within summer and winter folders. Although I’d say if you raise the cloud samples in the gpresets that might help. 

I've been lusting after enormous clouds for some time, must give these a go. You've done a lot of work on this mod. Many thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its an essential addition imho.

Hey Gang! I've updated the original post with the newest Versions.

NOTES:

-Version 12 and 9.1 Revised2 have all new lighting and skydomes. Each skydome / weather combination has its own lighting to correlate with the type of weather in game.

-Version 12 and Version 12 Grey Sky have all new clouds adjustment as well. Grey sky in each 12 and 9.1 has a few overcast skydomes in the mix of heavy and overcast weather selections for all seasons.

-Version 9.1 Revised2 has been redone for VR optimization. I removed any of the very large clouds and fronts which can be very taxing. Scaled down and redrew texture maps back to 512x512. I did make the cirrus maps at 2K ( has no negative effects and looks much better than stock.)

-Cumulonimbus download has been added for any new version ( not recommended for VR ). This replaces 3 out of the 10 heavy cloud options. The tallest clouds were around 31,000ft :biggrin:. Add after download of your selected version.

-I've now added an option for 2K or 4K cloud maps to add to the newest version ( not recommended for VR ). Add after download of your selected version.

Hope you enjoy, and as always, let me know if I missed something :salute:.

1353483328_Screenshot(121).thumb.png.59b8cb4e72ee15db07f965395bdb0fa0.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 5

Just checked back in with this thread  and although I've still to download and try any of your mods there's some real nice screen shots here.  From the things you are describing it sounds as if you are now pretty much doing everything I've been playing with in terms off sky/lighting for the last 12months+.... and you're also coming to the same compromises in terms of what looks good and what runs well.

Cheers

HH

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@rowdyb00t

looking forward to test your latest upload.

I got a powerfull machine with a RTX2080ti - to get the most out of it, how to set up the cloud samples? What would you recommend 128 when using 4k cloud maps? Or should I try 512 or even 1024?

Could you please explain me how cloud samples setting affects the clouds?

Edited by Tom25briklebritt

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Tom25briklebritt said:

@rowdyb00t

looking forward to test your latest upload.

I got a powerfull machine with a RTX2080ti - to get the most out of it, how to set up the cloud samples? What would you recommend 128 when using 4k cloud maps? Or should I try 512 or even 1024?

Could you please explain me how cloud samples setting affects the clouds?

Well you can test it out. The more samples= less stutters. I fly VR so I leave it at 128, but if you fly 2D and have a 2080ti like me, I’d go 1024 on the samples. The 4K cloud maps it adds more detail to the clouds. 

2 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Thanks @rowdyb00t , everytime I see you and @PatrickAWlson update so frequently, I am full of vitality all day:)

Ditto :biggrin:

Edited by rowdyb00t

Just to get it right, the cloud maps have a 512x512 resolution but one can enhance them by using the 2k or 4k maps?

19 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

Just to get it right, the cloud maps have a 512x512 resolution but one can enhance them by using the 2k or 4k maps?

Version 12 has 1024x1024. Version 9.1 R2 has 512x512. Yes on your question. 

• Upvote 1

Fabulous work you do for us rowdyb00t. How lucky are we? 👌

• Thanks 1

Best looking clouds

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

Just checked back in with this thread  and although I've still to download and try any of your mods there's some real nice screen shots here.  From the things you are describing it sounds as if you are now pretty much doing everything I've been playing with in terms off sky/lighting for the last 12months+.... and you're also coming to the same compromises in terms of what looks good and what runs well.

Cheers

HH

Hello there HH,

It is definitely time consuming getting the correct light with the sky. There are so many different variables to consider and making them go along with each other is a challenge. More than likely there are mistakes I haven’t noticed but I feel it’s fairly good.

How’s your mod coming along? I’m much anticipating yours. Your post is almost on page 2 :biggrin:  Anyway hope all is well!

Each iteration surpasses the last -- but honestly, Idk how you are going to top this release! It is fantastic so far and clearly the best of the best to date. Well done and thank you! 😁

(I also run with the cumulonimbus add-on (fantastic!) and the 2k clouds (only a 1% neighborhood drop in fps for me) and things are looking amazing 🙌 )

8 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Hello there HH,

How’s your mod coming along? I’m much anticipating yours. Your post is almost on page 2 :biggrin:  Anyway hope all is well!

My biggest challenge at the moment is simply time; my year started with a busy work diary, got busier, then when covid-19 struck there was brief moment when it looked as if things might slow down, but if anything things have got even busier as my wealthier retired clients are getting bored stuck in doors they have nothing to do but spend money and all sorts of miniature art commissions they'd been thinking about for ages have become priorities

I still check these forums regularly but I think since early January I've spent about 20minutes in the cockpit flying my camel and about half a day on some of my plant life mod-work... so essentially I've done almost nothing this year on IL-2.... but as a self employed artist you make the most of the work when it's offered; IL-2 is just one of a few hobbies I haven't had much time for of late.

HH

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow! I wasn't aware of this project. Impressive. Keep going, please. I'm an artist, also. But haven't gone into the digital arena, much. Just with a few cartoons. Here's a example  of what I do. Unfortunately, no one seems to want paintings on canvas, anymore. 

dolphins (4).jpg

Edited by Poochnboo
  • Like 4

I played with different settings, I stay with clouds_samples=3072 / V 12 / 4k clouds map

Just amazing, those clouds are looking great.

IL 2 clouds.jpg

16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

-I've now added an option for 2K or 4K cloud maps to add to the newest version ( not recommended for VR ). Add after download of your selected version.

Any changes you see because of that are placebo. It will be scaled down to 512x512 regardless of the resolution.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Any changes you see because of that are placebo. It will be scaled down to 512x512 regardless of the resolution.

Really? It’s visibly noticeable when you switch between 512 through 4096 in the ME. It also creates a large performance drop in VR. 
  So does that mean any dds or bmp edited to a larger scale will be automatically scaled down in game?? I’m not sure about that could you explain this better?

Also almost certain  that the current cloud maps are 1024 stock. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

Here is a 2048x2048 cloud map

type01_light.thumb.png.5c232e21b67ec3181415fb741a846739.png

And here is the map that is fed to the shaders - note the resolution

2023826995_cloudmap.png.9996bb4813a2b1e361b4a9356b47e928.png

Unless you've found some setting combination that does allow higher resolution maps to work, what you are probably seeing is just some differences in the way the base noise is applied. Like maybe a difference in random seed.

Take that cloud map and convert it to bmp then run it in game on your system. If you can read the writing in the clouds then maybe there is a setting for it somewhere.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Unless you've found some setting combination that does allow higher resolution maps to work, what you are probably seeing is just some differences in the way the base noise is applied. Like maybe a difference in random seed.

Would the base noise differences cause fps loss?  I’ll try the map. Thanks for the explanation. 

Salvé @rowdyb00t

Please have a look at the colour settings for Winter maps with the mod. What looks really good at Spring/Summer maps may have an unwanted impact on maps with winter season.

Check my screenshots. All three recorded around Sunrise. 7h-9:30h. Gamma settings to neutal.

0sjpCfc.jpg

wgRj4iw.jpg

5VSHcKF.jpg

I think the effect is a bit extreme....

Greets!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Salvé @rowdyb00t

Please have a look at the colour settings for Winter maps with the mod. What looks really good at Spring/Summer maps may have an unwanted impact on maps with winter season.

Check my screenshots. All three recorded around Sunrise. 7h-9:30h. Gamma settings to neutal.

0sjpCfc.jpg

wgRj4iw.jpg

5VSHcKF.jpg

I think the effect is a bit extreme....

Greets!

Maybe I exaggerated a tad. Only about 25% of the winter atmosphere have this lighting. That’s out of 50 presets. 

A65027E3-9D7C-4BEE-8635-AA123CC4782E.thumb.jpeg.c1d0b9c68532ad38aacd9b1c8958d510.jpeg

CCD0A784-C506-4872-A233-FC5574D8FD45.thumb.jpeg.e1ba0d8ecc70936411f6ebf8ef0ca6c0.jpeg

I thought that the mornings and evenings should only have this color for 15 mins or so, hmmm.  Maybe I’ll tone it down some and shorten the time. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

I thought that the mornings and evenings should only have this color for 15 mins or so, hmmm.  Maybe I’ll tone it down some and shorten the time. 

+1

I like the idea behind it as well. Gives a bit of variation. But the overall effect looks a little bit overdone ingame.

Just my 2 € 😁

54 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Maybe I exaggerated a tad. Only about 25% of the winter atmosphere have this lighting. That’s out of 50 presets. 

A65027E3-9D7C-4BEE-8635-AA123CC4782E.thumb.jpeg.c1d0b9c68532ad38aacd9b1c8958d510.jpeg

CCD0A784-C506-4872-A233-FC5574D8FD45.thumb.jpeg.e1ba0d8ecc70936411f6ebf8ef0ca6c0.jpeg

I was about to ask about the pink horizon too if you did that in the last version.

I like it and it isn't too strong for my taste; but until now I could see only a small, decent stripe on a winter map.

7 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

I like it and it isn't too strong for my taste; but until now I could see only a small, decent stripe on a winter map.

I’m not sure what you mean by the decent stripe?

1 minute ago, rowdyb00t said:

I’m not sure what you mean by the decent stripe?

I meant this nice horizon on a winter map, I like the light purple tone over the clouds and it was new to me.

Apparently there's a different meaning in English for the German word 'dezent', sorry.

xx3.thumb.jpg.270070a1db5c0802810c4ca0b87ed1c4.jpg

10 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

I meant this nice horizon on a winter map, I like the light purple tone over the clouds and it was new to me.

Apparently there's a different meaning in English for the German word 'dezent', sorry.

Ah, Ich verstehe. Danke

• Haha 1

Fantastic! I just flew all over the Rhineland and Kuban maps, changing seasons and enjoying the hell out of the flights. It's a game changer for me. I'm going to have to be honest, here. I didn't enjoy simply flying around the IL-2 world all that much. But with this cloud mod it's a whole new experience. I don't mod my sims much. This is the only one I'm using in this game and it's a must have mod, now. 

• Like 3

I agree with you, Poochnboo

A lot of people ( developers, too) don't understand / don't realize / how important is to have great looking clouds in a flight simulator 

• Like 1

does it matter which one you install first for GME: Cumulonimbus, CloudsV12, 4K cloud maps? or does any order works?

I just explored the Cumulus clouds which were reaching up to 25.000 ft. 

This looked absolutely amazing and I witnessed no significant impact in VR. 

Incredible work. There is no way I can fly with mods off anymore! 

12 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Wow! I wasn't aware of this project. Impressive. Keep going, please. I'm an artist, also. But haven't gone into the digital arena, much. Just with a few cartoons. Here's a example  of what I do. Unfortunately, no one seems to want paintings on canvas, anymore. 

I do hope that's not the case otherwise I'd be largely out of work... 

6 hours ago, The13oogeyMan said:

does it matter which one you install first for GME: Cumulonimbus, CloudsV12, 4K cloud maps? or does any order works?

Install the clouds v12, then cumulonimbus, then cloud maps. As long as you install the main package first, you can put the add ons in any order. 

Oh and don’t forget the Gpreset download

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

I do hope that's not the case otherwise I'd be largely out of work... 

I must not be doing subject matter that people are interested in. What sells, anyway? Either that, or I'm just not good enough.