rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 11-29-19)

While I feel the base game is too light a night, your v4 is a bit lighter than that and v5 is a lot lighter. So yes, I am going to have to agree that v5 is far too light at nightime.

But great job with the mod in general - a really good upgrade over stock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@OrLoK

Is the night sky too bright in this version? I only have my laptop since I’m working out of town. I normally test my modifications out on my pc at home in vr. It didn’t look to bright to me. Anyhow I plan on fixing it tonight:biggrin:

i wont be able to look tonight, but i can take a peek tomorrow!

2 hours ago, OrLoK said:

i wont be able to look tonight, but i can take a peek tomorrow!

Its fixed! i just checked and it looks good

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

Does it work in multiplayer

Only with a mods on server

Hi Rowdy, I have installed v5 and it is fantastic! Congratulations!!

Pity that in VR lose some detail...

Ciao!

Marco

Edited by Marvel

Hi

The cloud mod images in this thread look excellent and thank you for sharing your work. I seem to be having a problem installing them though. I downloaded v5, unzipped and manually copied the Sky folder into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics

I launched a quick mission but the default clouds are still being displayed. Is there something I missed or done wrong? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy  

1 hour ago, parrettjung said:

Hi

The cloud mod images in this thread look excellent and thank you for sharing your work. I seem to be having a problem installing them though. I downloaded v5, unzipped and manually copied the Sky folder into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics

I launched a quick mission but the default clouds are still being displayed. Is there something I missed or done wrong? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy  

Oh, I think the latest version is nested within a sub folder. Its the data folder one needs to copy over. Youve prob got the files there but in a subfolder.

Yup, just checked. The better clouds folder doent need to be in your file structure.

although, now actually reading your post you may have already navigated that. hmm.

Edited by OrLoK

Yes, I messed up and pasted the whole Better Clouds folder structure into the …/graphics folder rather than the Sky folder. Just repeated install with v5.1 and everything okay now.

Thanks for getting back.

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Any issues with the update? or the update and mods in general?

3 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Any issues with the update? or the update and mods in general?

Not sure yet, however during the beta testing I tried it and it worked fine. Make sure you your cloud setting is on high and not extreme. Extreme made it look ridiculous 

ahh thanks... good tip about cloud settings, I currently turned on Extreme. I suppose like any other game, gonna have to check the mods 1 by 1 after a big update like this.

Edited by AstroCat
  • Upvote 1

Better than in game extreme setting, but.....
It's strange in winter map(Rheinland)
cloud setting:High

Il-2 2019-11-08 06-26-16 拷貝.jpg

Il-2 2019-11-08 06-05-01 拷貝.jpg

Il-2 2019-11-08 06-26-01 拷貝.jpg

@Oyster_KAI

that’s a common problem with the sky dome. The banding happens in the morning and evenings. What time was that if you can remember?

Its not really an issue with the skydome, its how cloud volumes are sampled that causes it.

4 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@Oyster_KAI

這是與天空穹頂的通病。綁紮發生在早晨和晚上。什麼時間,如果你能記得嗎?

Am 8:30

• Thanks 1

@rowdyb00t
With the adjustments inside the cloud engine the devs decreased the cloud samples for all presets to 64. Maybe this low value causes this. I increased it to 256 and its way better. Yes, its still visable but only in very rare situations under a very shallow angle of sun light.
I attached the related lua file, which can be extracted to 
"C:\...\IL-2 Sturmovik\data\LuaScripts\"

Maybe this helps you too, getting rid of these strange waves.

But it can affect your performance. If its to heavy for your setup, open the file and change the values for cloud samples to 128 in all 4 presets. Changing the value combined with the extreme preset seem to affect the performance more then before the update. Before the update I could set this value up to 1024 without problems. Now even 512 sometimes causes framerates below 60fps. So this mod should be treated with caution.

gpresets_cloudsamples256.zip

2019_11_8__10_13_23.jpg

Edited by PicksKing
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@LizLemon

Is there a fix for this?

Potentially but I haven't tried those things out yet.

22 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

I'd be curious to see if you can sort this as it has been something that has bothered me for a long while.

I will however second@PicksKing   in saying that a higher cloud sample rate does reduce the impact of this, I've had mine set to 1024 for about the last year and didn't pick up on the devs changing this for the simple reason my machine automatically overwrote it to my own preferred settings, though I can't say I notice any change in FPS the way PicksKing mentions.

Edited by HappyHaddock

I have updated the post ( Thanks again @PicksKing ).

I added an adjusted graphics preset cfg with a file structure for easy install for JSGME, due to the recent change from the devs to 64 samples.

Cloud samples are set to 128, however you can change it to your liking. Examples: 96, 128, 256, 512 ect.

This will help with the banding in the mornings and evenings.

Quick question. If I have a custom graphics setup (eg modified ultra) via the menu will this new preset file override any of my settings?

Thanks

6 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Quick question. If I have a custom graphics setup (eg modified ultra) via the menu will this new preset file override any of my settings?

Thanks

I’ve never had it overwrite my settings. Check when you install the cfg. If your graphic settings in the game menu have changed. Should work fine. The gpresets file is a nice addition to tweak your settings. 

23 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Sorry, I can't find the location where you posted the 'no high-G grunts' mod anymore to ask there but it seems the mod disables the voices from the radio completely now after the update. I did test it with the unmodded game. Would be very nice to have it again. Thanks.

Edited by vonGraf

21 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

Sorry, I can't find the location where you posted the 'no high-G grunts' mod anymore to ask there but it seems the mod disables the voices from the radio completely now after the update. I did test it with the unmodded game. Would be very nice to have it again. Thanks.

I didn't know there is mod for disabling that 'high-G grunt'.

From day 1 it reminds me more of a pneumatic air release than a human sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apmpLl2GJPo&list=OLAK5uy_mQFN3o7wHhhdY8mamTbo8U5yFwpUy9n9g&index=28

Would love to get rid of it.

5 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

I didn't know there is mod for disabling that 'high-G grunt'.

From day 1 it reminds me more of a pneumatic air release than a human sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apmpLl2GJPo&list=OLAK5uy_mQFN3o7wHhhdY8mamTbo8U5yFwpUy9n9g&index=28

Would love to get rid of it.

The mod was a bit 'hidden' between comments in another mod thread.

Thanks a bunch for this! The 5.1 is far better regarding lighting than 5.0 .Your sky box is better than stock, as are the lay and shape of your clouds - great job! 👍

You are still a bit brighter than stock and the stock has you beat regarding the shading (and therefore preceived depth), imho (constructive criticism I hope). But overall well done.

9 hours ago, vonGraf said:

I don't think I made that mod. Also

sdfa.thumb.jpg.dab47e833ed633491c8d40a24cfcac97.jpg2019_11_10__1_44_39.thumb.jpg.c9a6a352183494c5e6805808f3f8bb0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Thanks a bunch for this! The 5.1 is far better regarding lighting than 5.0 .Your sky box is better than stock, as are the lay and shape of your clouds - great job! 👍

You are still a bit brighter than stock and the stock has you beat regarding the shading (and therefore preceived depth), imho (constructive criticism I hope). But overall well done.

Thanks. Ive been working on the light and shading however that’s something I’m not good at yet :dry: . Does look like @LizLemon has mastered this though. 

On 11/10/2019 at 1:54 AM, LizLemon said:

I don't think I made that mod. Also

sdfa.thumb.jpg.dab47e833ed633491c8d40a24cfcac97.jpg2019_11_10__1_44_39.thumb.jpg.c9a6a352183494c5e6805808f3f8bb0c.jpg

Ok, I found the right place now. It's Ptk's mod.

3 hours ago, King-G_SchwarzOfDeArab said:

should i use high or extreme in cloud game settings ?

i applied the 256 gpreset.cfg 

and downloaded the v5 files

Use with high, extreme makes the clouds look like smooth white water balloons 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@LizLemon

Hiroshima ??

How’d you do that? I’ve raised cloud max height and some other parameter and was able to achieve something similar but it looked ridiculous. 

Are those cirrus clouds three Dimensional?

Edited by rowdyb00t

36 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

@LizLemon

Hiroshima ??

How’d you do that? I’ve raised cloud max height and some other parameter and was able to achieve something similar but it looked ridiculous. 

It's just a matter of playing around with the cloud maps and layers, like so much to do with the clouds it is easy to get crude effects but it is about balancing lots of different things to get them to look believable.

Just for the sake of reckless experimentation I created cloud tunnels which were hollow toroid shaped cavities totally enclosed within a solid mass of cloud.

495504099_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.7d37a9bb8f00f87cf71a47fa56ebb5c7.png873737282_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.72b7f85c08103745e65e576d0968b452.png

41937549_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.e0ad6447bd583a238a517030767f7b99.png894463666_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.828bc0539c4936402f1ad680bfe21bd8.png

330003453_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.43b8b16b76c6873712cb8bf6cdcf7650.png

Updated the first post with Version 6

I fixed the greenish tint in the winter maps and the nights are now darker again.

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LizLemon

moon looks nice. I’m not sure if you fly in VR or not, but the moon looks too small from your sun mod ( I’m assuming you changed this). Also the stars are a bit to bright making them look too large. Is it possible you can check this out and maybe correct?