rowdyb00t

More Realistic Clouds (Updated 11-17-19)

Posted (edited)

2019_10_13__14_39_32.thumb.jpg.36dd3df1c0847607f5d86a1cf626a77a.jpg

2019_10_13__5_0_12.thumb.jpg.7a1c2a0124c640890b72b48221813c4c.jpg

2019_10_28__13_55_52.thumb.jpg.e4f24cf857e7f8215acacff1a8c03fda.jpg

2019_10_28__14_2_33.thumb.jpg.b2c8ec23a5f142db2c24156be1a0c015.jpg

2019_10_28__14_5_21.thumb.jpg.7a00f7e05508d5659f781e6b581ce729.jpg2019_10_28__3_9_53.thumb.jpg.b6e466aa95f34b4634530724dd2adf98.jpg                                                                       2019_10_28__13_57_7.thumb.jpg.6a547f035f8a092883e00b23e21730a6.jpg           

Or at least definitely better than the originals. That’s the old sky color by by the way.  

data v.2.zip  ___ Version 2: I adjusted the lighting and some shapes                                                    Graphic Presets.zip  ___ Cloud samples adjusted to 128 ( helps with banding)

data v.3.zip  ___ Version 3: fixed lighting in winter clouds, tweaked summer clouds

data v.4.zip  ----- Version 4: adjusted lighting in overcast, minor tweaks to clouds 

data.v.5.zip  ----- Version 5.1: fixed sky dome clouds in summer sky, tweaks to overcast, clouds and lighting (fixed light.bmp ) best if used with high cloud settings

data v.6.zip   ----- Version 6 :  Lighting in summer and winter adjusted 

data v.6.1.zip  --- Version 6.1 :  minor cloud tweaks to summer and winter

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 7

Looks nice,

welcome to the slippery slope that sees you tweaking one little thing, then another, that leads you to realise how they impact on other things that in turn leads you to tweak more settings and before you know it you are dismantling large chunks of the game to untangle the web of inter-dependant factors that combine to create the the look of the natural world in this sim.

HH

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Thanks @HappyHaddock  

You sure are right about that :biggrin: . It is very time consuming for sure. 

I don't know how many hundreds of hours I've "lost" to this sort of work since starting modding ROF in 2014, but my current "project" which only a year ago I niavely thought might need to adjust "more than eighty files" has certainly proved more than that; - I am now well over one thousand files in my WIP project to overhaul the look of the natural environment.

I am however getting closer to the sort of flight sim I dreamed of back in the early  1980's and have not yet found anything that this game engine can't handle. I am however finding odd instances that lead me to think that the programmers that first created this game engine can't all still be around to fully explain it to the current dev team as there are odd little faults I am finding in the stock game that can only have come about through content being created by somebody that didn't fully understand the way in which the game engine would handle the content they created.

It is certainly surprising how much you can learn through picking apart unused files that linger in the game simply because nobody got around to deleting them, and how much "un-tapped" potential this game engine still has if you really start to push things beyond where the devs have so far taken them..

HH

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Or at least definitely better than the originals

Noob question:

-Why Devs don't work on this kind of stuff. If a third party (person) can do, why they can't?

Why not to improve quality if game's engine allows be improved?

I'm a MP player and I don't use MODs but I like most of MODs that I see.
So, little part of time I'm flying campaing or quick missions (just to test).

Or just leave the files open in a Mods off Section so those of us with higher end system can turn things up if we feel like it,
like terrain.cfg could be altered so its again readable without mods on allowing those with more than 5GB Vram to turn things up higher and see better.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Why Devs don't work on this kind of stuff. If a third party (person) can do, why they can't?

A lot of these things are very time consuming and with their files already complete I’m sure they don’t want to waste to much time revisiting something that is “good enough” for now. I’m sure some day they will tweak some of there cloud settings in the future

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Noob question:

-Why Devs don't work on this kind of stuff. If a third party (person) can do, why they can't?

As rowdyb00t has already said it is a matter of what is economic for the devs to spend their time on. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the game engine is in in no way a limit on what is possible and that the Great Battles game engine could come close to matching the  look of the unreal or crisis engines if given all the content.

However the big first person shooter type console games have budgets to rival blockbuster movies. Flight-sims are a small niche product appealing to very few and so they have a fraction of the developmental budget. This means the producer really has to focus on what will generate a bit more income to keep things afloat financially for the next month or two. This generally means that you can't afford to pay large numbers of programmers to spend months tweaking things you've already sold.

Conversely it does mean that when there's only a small team of devs working to tight timeframes to get stuff done and move on, it does make it easier for individual amateur modders to follow behind them putting in the time to make big improvements in a way that would be much harder than if two hundred professional programmers had spent five years and well over a hundred million dollars refining a game before release.

I doubt we'll ever get to know the full detail of the business model and turnover under which this sim is produced, but based upon assumptions I'm impressed by how much quality content this small team can keep churning out. By all logical assessments based upon the number of customers and the retail price of this product their total turnover over all their titles would probably only pay for a feasibility study to assess the technical viability of a major new console game.

HH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@rowdyb00t mate, the entire filestructure is missing in your zip pack. 😁 Personaly, I didn´t have a problem with it but maybe others who aren´t familiar with how Il-2 is builded up.

Pro tip: next time, better make it idiot proof & JSGME ready.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, sammydee said:

No download link for this mod?

First post, under the last pic. "data.zip"

Posted (edited)

Have you evaluate to tell the devs about this? I think it's a great achievement if a player did a better job.

Edited by SJ_Butcher

45 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

Have you evaluate to tell the devs about this?

No I have not. I’m still working on the cloud files when I have time, slowly tweaking them to get better results. This weekend I’m going to try to post my updated zip

• Like 1

This mod is fantastic! Tons and tons better than the originals. Great work!

Agreed, this mod is brilliant. It's made a huge different to cloud quality and seems to have minimised the weird shimmering too. So much more immersive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, =gRiJ=Alado said:

work in multi?

Only mods on server

@rowdyb00t :yes, I know, I am really stupid but where is the link to download the mod?☺️

Ciao!

Marco

8 minutes ago, Marvel said:

@rowdyb00t :yes, I know, I am really stupid but where is the link to download the mod?☺️

Ciao!

Marco

under the screen shots. litle box in the text "data"

I have downloaded it, but can you use JSGME to install it? Thanks for your fine work!

48 minutes ago, Hopper64 said:

but can you use JSGME to install it?

Yes

really worth a look, makes the game look so much better. Best clouds in any sim as far as im concerned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OrLoK said:

under the screen shots. litle box in the text "data"

Thanks Orlok!

Another quick question: I use OvGME as activator, the folder to activate the clouds is "sky", right?

Ciao!

Marco

• Like 1

@Marvel

when you unzip the files, DATA folder goes in your Mods folder in your game directory. Then use GME, it will place all the folders correctly

Rowdy

I suppose you've seen the devs new announcement about cloud improvements where I suspect we'll both be pouring over every little change and seeing what this will make possible?

Who knows it may even allow some of the things you've been asking me about of late, I certainly like the sound of refined edges to the clouds as so far it has been a real fine balance between getting clear edges and having everything too opaque so as to loose visible shaping in the main body, or getting a visible structure to the clouds at the expense of a lot of ghosting around the edges.

Still sounds as if the tall cumulonimbus are going to be a stretch for the game engine though.

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock

HH

Just finished reading the DD. Sounds good, however I’m wondering if they redesigned the clouds or just fine tuned the file. Looking at the clouds in there pic I’d say they are tweaked and not redesigned. It would be great if they fix the planes disappearing and halo effects. 

Im excited about this, hopefully this will add some options. 

Cheers

14 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

HH

Just finished reading the DD. Sounds good, however I’m wondering if they redesigned the clouds or just fine tuned the file. Looking at the clouds in there pic I’d say they are tweaked and not redesigned. It would be great if they fix the planes disappearing and halo effects. 

Im excited about this, hopefully this will add some options. 

Cheers

I'd agree in that from what has been said it is not a major overhaul of the whole cloud system just tweaks to one or two of the shaders, however as we both know even the smallest change can bring about a big visual improvement.

Oh  by the way I keep quite a reference collection of photos of clouds, both my own and other people's but the link you provided me with for Rüdiger Nehmzow's cloud photo's are stunning and quite the inspiration in terms of what we'd both like to be able to recreate in this sim.

I've attached one of my best cloud photos which is something I always keep in mind when experimenting with this sim.... one day we'll get to fly these clouds on a PC.

Cheers

HH

above clouds 1.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@Marvel

when you unzip the files, DATA folder goes in your Mods folder in your game directory. Then use GME, it will place all the folders correctly

Thanks! I will try soon as possible!

Ciao!

Marco

Is that a sky or a clouds mod ??

I can't see a difference between the default clouds, and this mod

Data / graphics / sky / with 2 subfolders : summer / winter

Edited by Avyx

It’s both. Did you install the mod correctly? Or How did you install it? The default clouds look nothing like the ones I have

Edited by rowdyb00t

I moved the folder I downloaded, into the MODS folder, and than I activated with JSGME

Am I doing something wrong ?

Can't make it work