[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 9-13-2021)

rowdyb00t

SCG_motoadve
1 hour ago, Beebop said:

Are you using the VR versions?

See OP and bottom of first post.

Good catch, was running a non VR version.

I have no idea how my post multiplied.  Sorry about that.

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under stress. - Indiscipline, King Crimson

Glad I was able to help.

rowdyb00t
6 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Question, in VR there is a white layer when using the cloud mod, clarity is affected, is there a way to solve this?

I have notice this more lately with the Vive pro 2.

Do you have some pics. I’m not really sure what the white layer is

SCG_motoadve
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

Do you have some pics. I’m not really sure what the white layer is

Sorry did not take any pictures, deleted that mod and now I am using grey VR version and its perfect.

Thanks for your great work.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on the correct way to install these mods.. 
Do I need to select a folder, e.g. 04_overcast_00,  and install only that or do I just install all of the master folders into Mods folder and the game randomly selects a cloud set?

Edited by Skipper-

rowdyb00t
3 hours ago, Skipper- said:

Quick question on the correct way to install these mods.. 
Do I need to select a folder, e.g. 04_overcast_00,  and install only that or do I just install all of the master folders into Mods folder and the game randomly selects a cloud set?

The mod is jsgme ready. I think I have instructions at the bottom of the original post. 

• 2 weeks later...

I should be done with Version 16 fairly soon. It will have two versions, except this time there is a performance one and a detailed one. I'm still testing it out but the results are better than the previous versions. Here's an example of the differences.

PERFORMANCE

1487559802_Screenshot(135).thumb.jpg.7721735102cc0e8ba1d84a6ad321d702.jpg

DETAILED

445531738_Screenshot(134).thumb.jpg.21eef7d4b5730780edf6561f6d2c6b26.jpg

This version will no longer have a grey sky option although there will be some grey skydomes in a few of the heavy and overcast for all seasons. I'm trying to simplify the mod a bit. I've also added 3 weather fronts to the heavy option in the summer file. No precip in them but they are convincing. I'm also working on the skydomes a bit, the sky in the mornings and evenings are too dark 180 degrees from the sun. I don't think I'll have them finished before I release this one. Here's some pics of the weather fronts.

950714804_Screenshot(137).thumb.jpg.a98b6e86e1b9417626a0db453e48592c.jpg

234085044_Screenshot(138).thumb.jpg.f2080d67ac953e7173ab809c6b30499c.jpg

1201498_Screenshot(139).thumb.jpg.94db6947b37cb34ea094a56a4df500b8.jpg

1388305495_Screenshot(136).thumb.jpg.2b1f12db113f02e3989dffa2a5060209.jpg

617603358_Screenshot(140).thumb.jpg.115b937aea4fffabe0b6d1879d5cf8c1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Those detailed clouds and the fronts look really nice. 👍

I really liked your 'Greysky' versions and used them over the regular ones.  I understand, and applaud, your desire to streamline the mod and will look forward to the new version.  I know I may be asking a lot but after v16's release I may request a "Greysky Addon" for those of us who like those heavy skies.  It really adds atmosphere to the mod IMO but, first we will see how this version turns out.

Thank for your continued efforts in improving the game. :thank_you:

29 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Those detailed clouds and the fronts look really nice. 👍

I really liked your 'Greysky' versions and used them over the regular ones.  I understand, and applaud, your desire to streamline the mod and will look forward to the new version.  I know I may be asking a lot but after v16's release I may request a "Greysky Addon" for those of us who like those heavy skies.  It really adds atmosphere to the mod IMO but, first we will see how this version turns out.

Thank for your continued efforts in improving the game. :thank_you:

Thanks @Beebop, you’ll be happy to know that this basically is the “grey sky” version. I also preferred to have a mix of the grey. So really, there won’t be a blue sky only version. Honestly I think that some people may not have realized that the grey sky versions only had a couple skydome changes. 
  Might have this thing up today yet. I’ll finish the skydomes later. It will take a while to finish those. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 9-13-2021)

Got the newest versions up in the OP. Performance version is much easier on the GPU than the Detailed. Try them out and let me know what you think. :salute: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oyster_KAI

Hi Rowdy!!
As always beautiful, some cloud edge details are better than before.
But in this version if I don't use Graphic Presets128, it will cause edge disturbance / boiling(Graphic Presets96)
In the 128 setting, approaching or entering heavy clouds may reduce 30~40+ fps.
It would be great if the edge problem can be eliminated in the 96 setting.

Edited by Oyster_KAI

👍

Using the Detailed version w/o Cumulonimbus or Graphic Presets.

While attacking 4 enemy A-20's in my North Korean Yak 9 in 'Overcast' conditions it was exceedingly beautiful.  The solid clouds looked better than ever and my in cockpit framerates were running ~90+ with a 1440p monitor (under)powered by a Radeon RX580.  Smooth as butter.  If my lowly card can do that with the Detailed version I can only imagine how nice it runs on a better build. 

I did download the Performance version but as long as I can maintain these framerates, especially without Graphic Presets, I'm leaving well enough alone.

Thanks again for making a great game even better.

You done good!  (as usual).  :drinks:

Stonehouse

Still fiddling around with samples trying to find a new sweet spot but had a question regarding the 3D Overcast2.zip file - I've lost track of whether this was the previous version for v15 and while it is probably just me being blind and stupid I can't tell from the OP if this is new or not and whether we need to use it/should we use it with v16? 

curiouslysophie

Oddly the 3D Overcast causes missions generated in PWCG to have no clouds at all. Not sure which end is causing it, but they seem to work if 3D Overcast is disabled.

EDIT: Ignore that. The new version of the clouds seems to have fixed that and all is well!

Edited by curiouslysophie

5 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Hi Rowdy!!
As always beautiful, some cloud edge details are better than before.
But in this version if I don't use Graphic Presets128, it will cause edge disturbance / boiling(Graphic Presets96)
In the 128 setting, approaching or entering heavy clouds may reduce 30~40+ fps.
It would be great if the edge problem can be eliminated in the 96 setting.

Which version are you using?

3 hours ago, Stonehouse said:

Still fiddling around with samples trying to find a new sweet spot but had a question regarding the 3D Overcast2.zip file - I've lost track of whether this was the previous version for v15 and while it is probably just me being blind and stupid I can't tell from the OP if this is new or not and whether we need to use it/should we use it with v16? 

It works with the newest version. 

Stonehouse

Thanks Rowdy, I ended up just going ahead and trying it since there was no harm via jsgme. Also finding the samples number is a key factor in making it look good. v15 was running on 80 for me and looked great but that setting didn't look good for v16. Currently trying stock 64. Think I am seeing a difference between outside view and from the cockpit too which makes it harder to tune but don't know if I am just imagining it. Higher than 80 samples seems to make things begin to look plastic like for me. This is with v16 detailed plus overcast2 plus cumulonimbus3.

Edited by Stonehouse

Oyster_KAI

@rowdyb00t V16 detailed +3D overcast 2+Cumulonimbus 3 and V16 detailed only.
It seems that in the defult graphic presets and 96, both will cause edge problems.

1 hour ago, Oyster_KAI said:

@rowdyb00t V16 detailed +3D overcast 2+Cumulonimbus 3 and V16 detailed only.
It seems that in the defult graphic presets and 96, both will cause edge problems.

I never noticed any boiling and I use 96 samples. Are you noticing this in all types? Maybe remove the cumulonimbus and check the heavy weather. 

Oyster_KAI
43 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

I never noticed any boiling and I use 96 samples. Are you noticing this in all types? Maybe remove the cumulonimbus and check the heavy weather. 

It's kind of weird,
I re-enable this mods and everything is OK now.
V16 detailed +3D overcast 2+Cumulonimbus 3 (graphic presets=96)
Will test the performance in a high-density script campaign:good:

Edited by Oyster_KAI
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oyster_KAI said:

I re-enable this mods and everything is OK now.

That often solves lots of mod related problems.  Sometimes the "problem" is the order in which the mod(s) were enabled.

Reinstalled the mods (Detailed16+3D+Cumulonimbus) and the overcast doesn't show clouds (only a heavy fog near ground, and above the fog, rain with blue sky). Removing 3D/Cumulonimbus at least put back the clouds. Dunno if they're are still suitable to be used together? When installing 3D+Cumulonimbus there are several alerts about overwriting sky.ini.

Those overwrite messages just mean that instead of the file currently in use by another mod, the mod you are installing will use it's file.  Sometimes it might even be the same file.  When this happens the mod whose file(s) are being replaced will grey out in the enabled list.

Try just enabling 3D Overcast, look at it then disable and enable Cumulonimbus and see what happens.  It could be that 3D and Cumulonimbus are at odds with each other.

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

Try just enabling 3D Overcast, look at it then disable and enable Cumulonimbus and see what happens.  It could be that 3D and Cumulonimbus are at odds with each other.

EDIT: redownload and testing again. Unfortunately, the only way the new clouds work all the time for me is without 3D and Cumulonimbus. But I'm happy with the new clouds. Better than the earlier ones. Thanks Rowdy!

Edited by jokerBR

Stonehouse

Finally I think I will have to go with 64 samples (stock value). Tried values from 80 (my v15 setting) -1024 but don't like what it does as the clouds start to become very odd. Weirdly I think 1024 was better than 128. Anyway 64 and v16 looks great. Many thanks Rowdy!!

Edited by Stonehouse

Stonehouse

It's in gpresets.cfg. Rowdy has a copy in the OP for downloading. Attached is mine plus a copy of the stock file plus a text file of some notes on various parameters I found lying around in these forums. Needs to go into folder IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\LuaScripts but best to manage it via JSGME or equivalent. I've just created the folders within Rowdy's cloud mod so I load everything needed in one click.

Note that I am using Preset 3 in the gpreset.cfg attached which corresponds to using Ultra graphics but with clouds on high. I also have increased some quality settings and reduced colour saturation and turned off sharpening as I handle it outside in Reshade.

So you may need to just use things as a guide to get a version that suits you rather than simply use it as is. Generally my Preset 3 values are fairly close to stock other than things noted above especially since I am now back at cloud_samples = 64.

LuaScripts.7zip

Edited by Stonehouse
  • Thanks 1

Stonehouse

Pic of how it looks within the mod folder for me using JSGME to make it easier to understand. It does depend a bit on how you set up JSGME so yours may not look exactly like mine. Also I merged V16, 3d clouds and cumulonimbus into a single mod and renamed it Clouds V16 for my own convenience.

image.png.a59122c887dcdcd3e93506446ef25093.png

13 minutes ago, Remklep said:

Those clouds look fantastic.

Any updates for VR?

Try the performance version. I fly VR and it runs good. 
2080ti

Ryzen 7 5800x

Vive pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

There is a lot of files on the first page, which ones do I really need for VR or Non-VR ? For example, there are Clouds V15 and then there is Sky V16 - are those the same thing were 16 are the new version or are the V15 a Clouds-mod and the V16 a Sky-mod?

Cheers

rowdyb00t
1 hour ago, Slo-Mo said:

Hello,

There is a lot of files on the first page, which ones do I really need for VR or Non-VR ? For example, there are Clouds V15 and then there is Sky V16 - are those the same thing were 16 are the new version or are the V15 a Clouds-mod and the V16 a Sky-mod?

Cheers

Try version 16 performance for VR and version 16 detailed for monitor or VR. I use the detailed version and I run in VR. 15 is the previous version. Sorry for the confusion. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, rowdyb00t said:

Try version 16 performance for VR and version 16 detailed for monitor or VR. I use the detailed version and I run in VR. 15 is the previous version. Sorry for the confusion. 

Tnx for your answer m8, appreciated. And great mod - well done! Will be nice to see them great clouds in a future IL-2 update :)

Cheers

Beautiful cloud scenery but, so far, the simulator works fine on my desktop with the following configuration: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz; 16 GB/RAM and GPU AMD 570! With the update 4.605 will continue to work fine?

6 minutes ago, Marcio said:

With the update 4.605 will continue to work fine?

Yes. I'm using V16 detailed.  Here's what I have and I can get up to ~90 -144fps smooth as butter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7, 1700.  8 Cores and 16 threads. 3.19GHz adaptive up to 3.7 GHz.

GPU:  Sapphire RX 580 w/8Gb DDR 5.  Drivers up to date.  DirectX12 installed.

Mobo: AMD AB350 Gaming K4.

Memory: 16Gb DDR 3.

Power Supply: Coolermaster G750M

I've been away from il2 for far too long.

Heard the official "cloud" news. Good stuff indeed.

can't wait for them!

meantime I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed in your fluffballs.

o7

• Like 1

I've been fiddling with the Rhineland Maps a bit. So far I have two versions of autumn done. I'm still working on spring, summer and winter. I plan to have two for winter also. Still working on some things in the sky and clouds but nothings ready yet. I never really planed on messing with any maps but after working above the ground, I figured I'd adjust some of the colors and detail of the textures. I'm getting good results.

738885655_Screenshot(157).thumb.png.ae568fe4b52a46af34d3526948630497.png

2141928526_Screenshot(158).thumb.png.0709b89f8df3f73c59ab31346b546bc1.png

287489802_Screenshot(159).thumb.png.86f9b8109baa273e422af888e19b8783.png

Late Fall...

425168772_Screenshot(160).thumb.png.97204a9ff9f71d27d59eb80368e228d5.png

1313548036_Screenshot(161).thumb.png.88886b0be44fd55eb563444201dd7a3d.png

291406516_Screenshot(162).thumb.png.0e1e6f975855bcda707eaa5d7fd6cf89.png

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 12