Jump to content

[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 9-13-2021)


rowdyb00t
 Share

Recommended Posts

Open your IL2 file directory 

   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\SKY

This is where the Sky file should be after you use your JSMGE

If this is not the case, then you can manually drop it to this location

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Avyx said:

I wish we could have 2 cloud layers, with different types

Yes that would be great. This modification is still WIP. I’m always working on it for better results. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Avyx said:

Thank you, it's okay now 

I wish we could have 2 cloud layers, with different types... 

 

Cloud layers are defined by the sky.ini file and the weather preset listing for each. Almost all of the heavier clouds are already 2 layer, technically speaking.

 

Also the developers have already made some changes to the way clouds are rendered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Rowdyb, I tried to istall "data" folder in my Mods folder and then activated it by OvGME but I not saw difference, so I cancel and I tried to install "sky" folder by OvGME and clouds seem to be changed. I made right? "sky" folder is the correct folder to activate by OvGME?

 

Thanks!

 

Ciao!

 

Marco

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hi Rowdyb, I tried to istall "data" folder in my Mods folder and then activated it by OvGME but I not saw difference, so I cancel and I tried to install "sky" folder by OvGME and clouds seem to be changed. I made right? "sky" folder is the correct folder to activate by OvGME?

 

I use JSGME rather than OvGME so I don't know if the method is exactly the same or not, but for JSGME both of the methods you mention are wrong. It's all about directory structure.

 

1) Download zip file.

2) In the MODS folder, create a new folder called whatever you like... "Better Clouds" for example.

3) Unzip the zip file you downloaded into this new folder. The structure should now be MODS\Better Clouds\data...

4) Enable the "Better Clouds" mod in JSGME (OvGME?).

5) Enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Goffik, ok, this afternoon I will check in the graphics folder if there is the "sky" folder. If not, I will try as you suggest.

Ciao!

Marco

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I know I'm going to kick myself for missing something obvious - but how do I download this?  Clicking on the zipfile does nothing at all, and right clicking doesn't help.  This is the first time I've been unable to download a mod - what am I doing wrong please?

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

Hello,

 

I know I'm going to kick myself for missing something obvious - but how do I download this?  Clicking on the zipfile does nothing at all, and right clicking doesn't help.  This is the first time I've been unable to download a mod - what am I doing wrong please?

 

Mike

 

Trying another browser might help sometimes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, Goffik said:

 

I use JSGME rather than OvGME so I don't know if the method is exactly the same or not, but for JSGME both of the methods you mention are wrong. It's all about directory structure.

 

1) Download zip file.

2) In the MODS folder, create a new folder called whatever you like... "Better Clouds" for example.

3) Unzip the zip file you downloaded into this new folder. The structure should now be MODS\Better Clouds\data...

4) Enable the "Better Clouds" mod in JSGME (OvGME?).

5) Enjoy.

 

Hi Goffik, I done as you suggested, all Ok!! Thanks a lot!

 

@Rowdyb00t: Fantastic mod!! Congratulations!

 

Game seems to run more smooth now

 

Ciao!

 

Marco

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for this rowdyb00t really appreciated, things are now much better for me since adding your mod.:cool:

 

I still cannot understand exactly what in the last update caused me such a FPS drop, Jason said they did not touch the clouds yet here we are, add this mod and I am more or less back to the settings I previously had.;)

 

There was a Windows 10 update following our update which might have helped also, how I have no idea but maybe something was overwritten in the patch and then restored maybe.

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JSGME installed and MODS file created in [C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles]

IL*2 start confirms Mods been activated.

= Clouds remained unchanged

 

Added the Sky file in [C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics] 

= Clouds remained unchanged

 

What isn't working for me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

@BiBa

  I’m not sure what’s going on with that. Just a thought but, do you have two installs of the game? 

 

I've added the sky file first in MODS & enabled it in JSGME. Didn't work.

So I added Sky in ***\Data\Graphics, as cited in your thread. Also didn't work.

 

So if that what you mean with two installs, then if only one Sky file should exist, is it in MODS or Graphics?

In MODS alone it didn't work

Edited by BiBa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After you unpack the zip. You placed the data folder in your MODS folder in the game directory. I think that you are putting the sky file in the MODS folder? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

After you unpack the zip. You placed the data folder in your MODS folder in the game directory. I think that you are putting the sky file in the MODS folder? 

I think it's not exactly the way JSGME works (at least not on my side). You need to have the first level of folders of the mod (i.e., in this case, the data folder) inside a folder named whatever you want in the MODS folder. For instance, in my case, I created a folder called "Better Clouds v2" inside the MODS folder, and then, inside this "Better Clouds v2" I put the mod's data folder, which is the "first level" folder of the mod, or, in other words, the one JSGME needs to copy to the game's root folder. 

After doing that, just go into JSGME and enable the "Better Clouds v2" mod. 

If you put the data folder directly into the MODS folder, then JSGME will copy the "graphics" folder right in the game's root folder, which, of course, will not work.

Edited by jokerBR
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t have any issues putting the data folder in the mods folder and using the JSGME. The file structure is there data/graphics/sky. I wonder if anyone else has had trouble?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jokerBR said:

I think it's not exactly the way JSGME works (at least not on my side). You need to have the first level of folders of the mod (i.e., in this case, the data folder) inside a folder named whatever you want in the MODS folder. For instance, in my case, I created a folder called "Better Clouds v2" inside the MODS folder, and then, inside this "Better Clouds v2" I put the mod's data folder, which is the "first level" folder of the mod, or, in other words, the one JSGME needs to copy to the game's root folder. 

After doing that, just go into JSGME and enable the "Better Clouds v2" mod. 

If you put the data folder directly into the MODS folder, then JSGME will copy the "graphics" folder right in the game's root folder, which, of course, will not work.

I had a problem with it at first then I did as jokerBR said and it 's working now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys, I put a step-by-step installation method for JSGME above. I'm not sure where the confusion lies here as if you follow this simple procedure it will work just fine.

 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, Goffik said:

I use JSGME rather than OvGME so I don't know if the method is exactly the same or not, but for JSGME both of the methods you mention are wrong. It's all about directory structure.

 

1) Download zip file.

2) In the MODS folder, create a new folder called whatever you like... "Better Clouds" for example.

3) Unzip the zip file you downloaded into this new folder. The structure should now be MODS\Better Clouds\data...

4) Enable the "Better Clouds" mod in JSGME (OvGME?).

5) Enjoy.

 

 

When you have done exactly as posted above, the folder structure of the mod will be:

 

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\MODS\Better Clouds\data\graphics\sky

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, P_Gora said:

 

Thx! That's pity, I thought I can see better clouds in MP at last.

 

 

Yes that would be great. The current clouds are very disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Goffik

  yes. I will do that when I get home. Sorry about that. Could you tell me what changed for you? And is it in the summer or winter clouds, both?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

After you unpack the zip. You placed the data folder in your MODS folder in the game directory. I think that you are putting the sky file in the MODS folder? 

 

JSGME generated the MODS folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\MODS)

Then yes, I placed the Better Clouds\data\graphics\sky folder in it. In JSGME interface I added Better Clouds.

How else can JSGME acknowledge and activate sky if it is not there?

 

I also added sky to graphics folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics\sky).

Again it Didn't work. 

 

If I understood you right, I should delete sky from MODS?

Edited by BiBa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BiBa

do not delete the sky folder. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, Goffik said:

1) Download zip file.

2) In the MODS folder, create a new folder called whatever you like... "Better Clouds" for example.

3) Unzip the zip file you downloaded into this new folder. The structure should now be MODS\Better Clouds\data...

4) Enable the "Better Clouds" mod in JSGME (OvGME?).

5) Enjoy.

 

Use these steps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

@BiBa

do not delete the sky folder. 

 

Use these steps

 

I've done exactly what Goffik depicted, but I don't see any difference in the clouds...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@Goffik

  yes. I will do that when I get home. Sorry about that. Could you tell me what changed for you? And is it in the summer or winter clouds, both?

 

It's kind of hard to explain and I can't get a screenshot because that won't show what I'm actually seeing in my headset. It was like some kind of "banding", though that word doesn't describe it exactly. When I looked at the clouds, particularly at parts that were thinner and partially transparent, I saw "lines" in them that I never saw before in the previous version. It was pretty bad and immersion breaking. That was during my career, which is currently in Winter. I tried some QMs in Summer and didn't notice the problem there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is your data folder or your game folder set to read only? But first and foremost get your game out of the C\programs files folder! UAC has a nasty habit of takung control over what you can or cannot do in that folder!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 9-13-2021)
  • Jason_Williams pinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...