[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

Redwo1f
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2021 at 12:42 PM, sniperton said:

Hey @rowdyb00t, thank you for this great mod. :salute:

May I suggest that you should revisit the lighting and the skydome files?

I mean the terrain seems unnatural to me here and then, this is for example Stalingrad, autumn, 2 September 1942, 8:13 in the morning.

Stock and modded:

comparison.thumb.jpg.b0bc182c4b9f2d93999c7ecdb375e2c8.jpg

I agree that the stock scenery is too green, but the modded version doesn't seem to be correct either. I feel like being in Sicily or Tunisia or in the Great American Desert instead of near the Volga. :cool:

Thank you for considering. :salute:

Hey, it isn't too hard to actually take rowdyb00t's clouds and put the stock lighting back on overtop of it. That is what I am currently running (his clouds but with stock lighting and the older stock winter lighting as well). Just grab the stock light files and look at the proper structure/placement for them for a home made JGSME add-on (just make sure you load it after Rowdy's to allow overwrite). Play around with it and see if that is more to your liking. :)

Heck, here you go - you can try it out yourself and see if you prefer that (put in mod folder and load with JGSME after Rowdy's clouds). 

Stock Lighting older winter.rar

Edited by Redwo1f
Oops, wrong file - fixed
  • Thanks 3

Redwo1f
Posted (edited)

Oops, the stock lighting file I uploaded yesterday had the incorrect file structure (my bad) - was missing the "data" folder. Should have zipped directly from my mod folder. Sorry. Now corrected with proper structure (so need to re-download or make that correction yourself).

(P.S. The older stock winter lighting uses a less colorful/more muted and "cold" lighting than the current stock (which was changed about 2.5 years ago). The current stock winter can easily be swapped in if desired).

Edited by Redwo1f

Dutch2
On 6/1/2021 at 3:27 PM, Goffik said:

Maybe that can. They mentioned somewhere (possibly in this thread) that there are plans to look at the clouds and weather at some point. No details or dates given though, so don't get excited. Rowdy's mod does a stellar job for now though, at least for those of us flying offline.

Edit: Found the post

So maybe they will invite Rowdy to join, like they did with Oysters cockpits and ICPD 4k templates. 

Goffik
2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

So maybe they will invite Rowdy to join, like they did with Oysters cockpits and ICPD 4k templates. 

Well, from the post I got the impression that they respect Rowdy's work and the results, but have their own direction in mind and are just waiting until they have time to implement it. But who knows?

jokerBR
3 hours ago, Goffik said:

Well, from the post I got the impression that they respect Rowdy's work and the results, but have their own direction in mind and are just waiting until they have time to implement it. But who knows?

Same impression I had, but there's also a path where they work together in a new common direction for both. Anyway, until that, Rowdy's clouds is the way to go SP.

Beebop
1 hour ago, jokerBR said:

Anyway, until that, Rowdy's clouds is the way to go

👍

Goffik
5 hours ago, jokerBR said:

Same impression I had, but there's also a path where they work together in a new common direction for both. Anyway, until that, Rowdy's clouds is the way to go SP.

One thing to bear in mind is that they need a direction which produces reasonable looking clouds at all levels and on differing hardware. Rowdy's clouds are fantastic if you have the horsepower to run them, but not everyone has. My old "mid-range" rig didn't stand a chance running the latest version in VR and my new rig can only just do it with acceptable performance. The devs aren't going to want to alienate the majority of their market by making the sim suitable for high-end rigs only.

• Like 2

Goffik
47 minutes ago, ubik_2008 said:

is this mod compatible with 4.602?

Yes, it works fine. If you install your mods with JSGME then it's a very simple task to just enable them and check to see if they work with latest patches. If not, you just disable them again, no harm done.

• Upvote 1

ubik_2008

The new clouds are very good looking, but the background takes a yellowish cast that I don't really like much and that is not totally removed even using the Redwo1f stock lighting mod. In addition I found that the cumulonimbus add on is a fps killer even for my rig which is not exactly entry level - an RX 5700 XT. Eventually I resolved to uninstall it. 

Still scratching my head though... 

rowdyb00t
1 hour ago, ubik_2008 said:

The new clouds are very good looking, but the background takes a yellowish cast that I don't really like much and that is not totally removed even using the Redwo1f stock lighting mod. In addition I found that the cumulonimbus add on is a fps killer even for my rig which is not exactly entry level - an RX 5700 XT. Eventually I resolved to uninstall it. 

Pics? 

The stock lighting will make the ambient light, clouds and haze a different color. There are values that have been changed in the ini. files to soften up the light. 
    The yellow cast is from one of the skydomes. Maybe I’ll look into adjusting that. I’ve been extremely busy at work and haven’t messed with anything in a month or so. 

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

@ubik_2008

Yup that was intended. I never noticed the yellow though. It makes the landscape a bit more saturated. The reason I’ve made so many different skydomes was because there needs to be a third cloud layer for cirrus clouds or cirrostratus . That would change the look of the sky and lighting, then I would only need one skydome and one light.bmp. 
   In RL the sky is always the same color and the light will always be the same too on a clear day, it’s the way the sun cuts through the clouds and haze that makes the different looks of the atmosphere. So here I’ve just tried to replicate different weather situations. If you’d like I could talk you through a simple fix.  

example.

66D06294-640C-4F33-915F-26E0E6E42358.thumb.jpeg.46e004f1a45ae68f987970abdf49fee1.jpeg

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1

Redwo1f
6 hours ago, ubik_2008 said:

In addition I found that the cumulonimbus add on is a fps killer even for my rig which is not exactly entry level - an RX 5700 XT. Eventually I resolved to uninstall it. 

Might I suggest you try CloudsVR.2? It will be MUCH lighter on the FPS (that is what I am currently using even though I don't have VR). And yes, I eventually chose not to use cumulonimbus in the end due to framerate. 

I try to keep as much processing power available now (and reduce overhead as much as I can) due to time dilation issues with the GBS engine (that I don't think everyone releases are actually occurring). Anyway, that is my motivation, and very much a give and take - but the CloudsVR.2 do look really really nice too and Rowdy did a fantastic job with them as well! 🙂

• Thanks 1

66D06294-640C-4F33-915F-26E0E6E42358.jpeg

It looks like a tornado is about to form and sweep up Dorthy's house!

Superb shot!  What are the atmosphere conditions settings for that?

And quick, where did I put those red slippers?

BladeMeister

That is heavy_100. If you find it in the ME let me know.:ph34r:

S!Blade<><

ubik_2008
3 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@ubik_2008

If you’d like I could talk you through a simple fix.  

that would be appreciated, thanks

2 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Might I suggest you try CloudsVR.2?

I'll give it a try, thanks for your suggestion. In fact when I have some spare time I'll benchmark some combinations of these addons as I believe they are noteworthy

sniperton

In my experience it's mainly the lights#.bmp files that are primarily responsible for the brightness and tone of the terrain, including the colours and self-shadows of clouds and those cast on the ground.

Thing is that they are not map-specific, that is, one setting that looks good with the Stalingrad autumn map may look bad with the Rheinland summer map, and vice versa.

The stock files still provide the best balance, but they are far not perfect, to say the least.

And to add to that, very much depends on your monitor and gamma settings. Lowering the gamma results in over-saturated ("orange") colours on some maps, while raising the gamma creates an enviroment that is too bright for my eyes.

And all this is not about @rowdyb00t's excellent clouds, its just about the terrain.

HappyHaddock

Many factors contribute to the look of so many others, you can't adjust one without having to rebalance all the rest.

In terms of the terrain; it's appearance is affected by the light files, skydome files, sky.ini files, settings within the textures files, settings within shaders and probably a lot more.

It is relatively quick and easy to tweak any single file to improve the appearance of any single part of the game, much more slow going to tweak everything to improve the  look of all of the game without upsetting, or better still improve, the overall balance which isn't great in the stock game to start with.

• Like 1

Highwayman

@rowdyb00t Massive fan of your clouds mod for VR in our group, we have one sticky point though, not to do with your Mod, but with the clouds in general that we were wondering if there is a fix for.

The banding in the clouds I've seen raised in the troubleshooting forum, but was closed as 'normal'. The one I haven't seen raised is the repetitive animation at the cloud edges. It's like there are two similar shaped cloud edges that switch back and forth every half a second and whilst it's minor, it can be very distracting... Any idea if this can be disabled?

We're all running Clouds VR2 here, but the same thing happens with the stock clouds.

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

@Highwayman  

The best way to remove it ( well mostly) is changing the cloud samples in the gpreset file to 128 or higher. I have a link in the first post for that. It’s very annoying. Another way for fixing it is lowering the cloud detail and noise amp on the sky ini files. 

It’s been called jittering in some discussions. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1

Highwayman
4 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

@Highwayman  

The best way to remove it ( well mostly) is changing the cloud samples in the gpreset file to 128 or higher. I have a link in the first post for that. It’s very annoying. Another way for fixing it is lowering the cloud detail and noise amp on the sky ini files. 

It’s been called jittering in some discussions. 

Thank you! I'll try it tonight 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@rowdyb00t I dont know what youve done, but these clouds, lighting and sky effects just make the world come alive. It feels like a different environment. I wish it was an official change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Not strictly related to clouds or this mod, but is there a way to remove the "sheet rain" effect? It's not the individual rain drops, it appears to be a large fixed texture. It might look good on monitors (haven't checked) but it looks absolute rubbish in VR.

rowdyb00t
5 hours ago, Goffik said:

Not strictly related to clouds or this mod, but is there a way to remove the "sheet rain" effect? It's not the individual rain drops, it appears to be a large fixed texture. It might look good on monitors (haven't checked) but it looks absolute rubbish in VR.

It’s in the texture file. You could possibly erase it.

16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

It’s in the texture file. You could possibly erase it.

Yes I think I've found it, in the Landscape folder? I haven't had time to test a blank texture yet, but will do tomorrow. (Well, later today for me now...)

I'd never really noticed it before because you don't tend to fly in bad weather during career mode. But I've been performance testing with your overcast clouds to see if I can run them or not, so lots of wet weather flying.

Edit:

That did it. A blank texture for rain.dds and rain_fog.dds got rid of the "sheet" effects. Also reduced the size of the rain drops (rain_drop.dds) to stop them looking like incoming gold balls. Looks much better now.

Only remaining issue is when your pilot is directly exposed to the rain. The droplets land on a invisible pain of glass about two feet in front of your face, rather than on your googles! 😋  Probably nothing can be done about that though, unfortunately.

Edited by Goffik
Extra info.
  • Like 1