[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

WatRed511

Hi Beebop...mod looks great but as mentioned just not working for me.  I loaded these into my mod folder then into the game as cloudsV15_greysky, Graphic Presets, Cumlonibus3, 3D Overcast2.  I would post the pics but cant get it to work (BMP to jpg just bleached everything).  However, looks nothing like the pics I see here.  Assume I have loaded them right?? Thanks

rowdyb00t
12 minutes ago, WatRed511 said:

Hi Beebop...mod looks great but as mentioned just not working for me.  I loaded these into my mod folder then into the game as cloudsV15_greysky, Graphic Presets, Cumlonibus3, 3D Overcast2.  I would post the pics but cant get it to work (BMP to jpg just bleached everything).  However, looks nothing like the pics I see here.  Assume I have loaded them right?? Thanks

First thing to check is make sure you have “mods on” checked in your game settings. You do have them in the correct order. 

Beebop

What rowdy said.

* Make sure you have "Mods on" enabled.

*  Set clouds in the Graphics menu to 'High'.

The order I put them in is;

1. CloudsV15_greysky,

2. Cumulonimbus3

3. 3D Overcast2

4. Graphic Presets 

although Graphic Presets can go in at anytime.

What program are you using to convert the .bmp's to .jpeg's?

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Beebop said:

What program are you using to convert the .bmp's to .jpeg's?

Just to add in a bit, simplest way to convert would be as follows:

-Open the IL2 screenshots folder, right click the image.bmp. 
-select edit

-this takes you to paint

-top left for to File/ Save As/ png or jpeg. 

Sometimes for il2 pics to be a PNG I have to resize the pic to 70% to have it less than 10mb for uploading to the forum ;) 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Upvote 1
tbauchot

Hi Rowdy, some questions :

What is the purpose of the file: "type17_front.bmp" in the "cloud_maps" folder ?

I did not find it in the "sky.ini" files. Is it dedicated to future developments or new options ?

Also, what is the purpose of files named sky1.ini ? Are they used by the game as alternate versions ?

Currently, I discover all the new features of the V15 with happiness and constructive curiosity.

My first impressions are very positive.

I congratulate you on your great visual contribution to the game ! 😃

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

Hi Rowdy, some questions :

What is the purpose of the file: "type17_front.bmp" in the "cloud_maps" folder ?

I did not find it in the "sky.ini" files. Is it dedicated to future developments or new options ?

Also, what is the purpose of files named sky1.ini ? Are they used by the game as alternate versions ?

Currently, I discover all the new features of the V15 with happiness and constructive curiosity.

My first impressions are very positive.

I congratulate you on your great visual contribution to the game ! 😃

The type 17 in the cloud map file is used I think in the cumulonimbus. If not, I made it and didn’t use it :biggrin:  

The sky1.ini and sky2.ini files are the grey skydomes or blue skydomes, which ever version you are not using. 

Also thank you for the kind words! Haven’t seen any pics from you in a while ;)

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1
WatRed511

Here is a couple..I loaded as indicated (on one changed just to grey sky vs grey sky 15) but doesnt look like I am seeing.  I use high, 1920X 1080 and graphics card is nvidia GTX1060 3gb and mods are enabled.  This is all I get.  Appreciate the help.  2021_5_6__0_3_12.thumb.jpg.e1a9b4a5d61979393f6dd85c51e7b0f0.jpg2021_5_6__23_54_47.thumb.jpg.0f12cc405a9657373f7564c1993bbbdb.jpg

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, WatRed511 said:

Here is a couple..I loaded as indicated (on one changed just to grey sky vs grey sky 15) but doesnt look like I am seeing.  I use high, 1920X 1080 and graphics card is nvidia GTX1060 3gb and mods are enabled.  This is all I get.  Appreciate the help.  

The Clouds look fine to me. I believe you are referring to not seeing the Grey skydomes? If so, then I must say that the Grey sky version of the mod only has a few Grey skydomes mixed in with the sky.ini files. I think I have 3 or 4 in heavy and overcast in both summer and winter settings. The rest have blue skydomes. Hopefully this answers your problem.

Oh also I might add that when using the QMB, for ex. If you select overcast the QMB will pick one out of the ten files within that file. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
Redwo1f
Posted (edited)

I would just like to point out, since I see several new faces, that rowdyb00t has done a really nice job on the CloudsVR2 iterations. I know lots of fanfare goes towards the beauty of the "main" offering, but the secondary releases look terrific too. 👍

You do not have to have VR to use them. What they lose perhaps is some of the wow compared to the non-VR release, but what they do offer is a really good intermediary between the Clouds Version... main release and stock clouds. You end up with clouds looking quite a bit better than stock while gaining quite a bit of fps in the process. It should definitely be something to look at if you have a lower/mid range system or are just wanting to claw back a lot of fps (and want a better offering than stock). Anyway, it is certainly something to take a look at and try out. 🙂

(*note: you will want to avoid the Cumulonimbus add-on if you want to keep fps down as that is quite heavy on fps in its current iteration*)

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
DN308

Thanks for these advices.

As long as my system wouldn’t be able to support all the graphics and number of planes I want it to show me ingame, I should consider these tricks.

I have a plan for a system’s upgrade but until then I will have to find the way to work with my midrange computer 

Beebop

This game even at middle of the road settings looks so much better than it's predecessor 1946 it's jaw dropping.

Over at Mission 4 Today there's a fellow that puts up 4K HD videos of '46 and it's the best renderings of that game I've ever seen. 

But....IMO, this game looks head and shoulders above it at any setting.

I think that if you looked at IL-2 1946 with your computer at maxed out settings, (and it could most likely handle that), then compared this game on the mid-range settings you can support now, you'd agree that this is the better of the two.  And rowdy's clouds really improve the look of this game at any setting.

• Upvote 1
CUJO_1970

796141923_IL2BOS154.thumb.jpg.cd76ed94238c2e4efc00d2aca93daa4c.jpg

I'm really amazed at what a huge difference this mod makes in the sim. Pictures don't do it justice.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
rowdyb00t
17 minutes ago, PA_Willy said:

QEWPp0e.png

MxyqEB5.png

Thank you Sir.

Your welcome! Quick question, are you using extreme for your cloud setting? If so, try “High”. They look a bit hard around the edges. I built the mod using the high setting because it was the max at the time. 
  Of course it is your own preference :salute:

PA_Willy
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

Your welcome! Quick question, are you using extreme for your cloud setting? If so, try “High”. They look a bit hard around the edges. I built the mod using the high setting because it was the max at the time. 
  Of course it is your own preference :salute:

High setting. Not extreme.

rowdyb00t
Just now, PA_Willy said:

High setting. Not extreme.

Ahh. I see, been away for too long haha. I’m at work on my phone. Thanks for the reply

-=[]=-little-Guardian

@rowdyb00t

Love your Mod!      I use both the VR2 versions with JGSME

Q: Regarding the Grey Sky version, how can I get the grey sky every time in heavy and overcast? Can I simply switch files? Or copy and over write?

I'm mostly flying quick missions.

You mentioned: "I believe you are referring to not seeing the Grey skydomes?

If so, then I must say that the Grey sky version of the mod only has a few Grey skydomes mixed in with the sky.ini files. I think I have 3 or 4 in heavy and overcast in both summer and winter settings. The rest have blue skydomes. Hopefully this answers your problem.

Oh also I might add that when using the QMB, for ex. If you select overcast the QMB will pick one out of the ten files within that file."

I want to trick the QMB to give me a grey sky every time . . .  ;-) 

greetings   little Guardian

rowdyb00t
57 minutes ago, -=[]=-little-Guardian said:

@rowdyb00t

Love your Mod!      I use both the VR2 versions with JGSME

Q: Regarding the Grey Sky version, how can I get the grey sky every time in heavy and overcast? Can I simply switch files? Or copy and over write?

I'm mostly flying quick missions.

You mentioned: "I believe you are referring to not seeing the Grey skydomes?

If so, then I must say that the Grey sky version of the mod only has a few Grey skydomes mixed in with the sky.ini files. I think I have 3 or 4 in heavy and overcast in both summer and winter settings. The rest have blue skydomes. Hopefully this answers your problem.

Oh also I might add that when using the QMB, for ex. If you select overcast the QMB will pick one out of the ten files within that file."

I want to trick the QMB to give me a grey sky every time . . .  😉

greetings   little Guardian

Hello friend, first off I’d like to say thank you for the complement. You only need to use one version at a time, I believe that’s what your doing? 
 As for having the grey skydomes all the time, I would need to rework the other sky.ini files when adding it. The other option would be to copy the grey sky ini files, rename and paste them in the heavy folder. Same goes for the overcast. 
  It can be done if you know what to look for within the mod. I could try to help, I’m not at home right now. 

-=[]=-little-Guardian

Thanks for the prompt answer, no hurry . . .

Help would be much appreciated, since I already tried and failed miserably . . .  now there is a blue sky every time (yes, I'm using the grey sky version for bad weather only and the normal version for, well, normal weather  ;-)     )

Copying the necessary files would be enough for me.

Several times I have had the "grey sky" in missions with heavy weather and the max. 40km view setting:     absolutely amazing! 

I live in the Rhine valley, and this looked and felt like home - on a not so nice day.

greetings     little Guardian

Spikos
26 minutes ago, -=[]=-little-Guardian said:

Thanks for the prompt answer, no hurry . . .

Help would be much appreciated, since I already tried and failed miserably . . .  now there is a blue sky every time (yes, I'm using the grey sky version for bad weather only and the normal version for, well, normal weather  😉 )

Copying the necessary files would be enough for me.

Several times I have had the "grey sky" in missions with heavy weather and the max. 40km view setting:     absolutely amazing! 

I live in the Rhine valley, and this looked and felt like home - on a not so nice day.

greetings     little Guardian

Thats what i also would like to have. Mh maybe because iam also from the rhinevalley^^

150GCT_Veltro

I know your team has already done tons of research about state of the art cloud rendering technology and such, but here is a guy explaining what he did to remove cloud jitter in VR for his game, maybe it can help the team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHzP00qZMQ
in the description he writes:
"Cruising around the new volumetric cloud system I've created for my VR flight game, redacted VR. The system supports an unlimited number of cloud layers with varying density, volumetric lighting (even inside the cloud volume) and environmental effects like cloud shadows+occlusion, reflection probes and planar reflections.

It was built from the ground up to support highly defined and detailed cloud shapes at great performance. This is accomplished by baking the cloud data to 3D textures, one of which is a signed distance field which greatly speeds up rendering by allowing the ray-marcher to skip empty space more efficiently. Lighting data is also baked, allowing for shadows that span a great distance (combined with ray-marched detail shadows).

Additionally, the clouds are rendered to a spherical buffer instead of directly to the screen. This all but removes pixel jitter when rendering in VR, allows for non-power-of-two resolutions, removes the need for reprojection and doesn't require rendering the clouds in stereo (since the spherical buffer is sampled using the view direction, it can be sampled by both eyes). The buffer is then composited in each fragment, allowing the use of MSAA and removing the need for a camera depth texture.

The footage was captured on a Valve Index running on a GTX1070, at 100% render resolution and 4xMSAA.

It's a new tecnology (?) for clouds rendering. This has been posted on the other forum, after 2.7 release. It does seem really interesting, even if, maybe, we have already this solution in IL2.

https://blog.uhawkvr.com/

Beebop

I'll admit those are pretty nice clouds.  Nice layering and coloring/shadowing.  But.... the tops look chopped off.  It's kind of like looking at a cloud version of the Grand Canyon.  (and no raindrops when you're in the clouds).

Still he's done a good job.  I'm just spoiled by the base clouds of the game and rowdy's work improving them.

Plus I'm not sure just how much we can tinker with the clouds.  I don't think the Devs would let us insert an entirely different algorithm for them.

rowdyb00t
6 hours ago, 150GCT_Veltro said:

It's a new tecnology (?) for clouds rendering. This has been posted on the other forum, after 2.7 release. It does seem really interesting, even if, maybe, we have already this solution in IL2.

https://blog.uhawkvr.com/

The lighting is very nice. 

-=[]=-little-Guardian

Wow . . .  just wow!

Thank you so much for your effort rowdyb00t !

I'm flying mostly on the Rhineland map and the "asia retexture" for Kuban summer/spring from meplanes, so the grey skies are just perfect.

You just made my day   🛩️

greetings       little Guardian

• 2 weeks later...
sniperton

Hey @rowdyb00t, thank you for this great mod. :salute:

May I suggest that you should revisit the lighting and the skydome files?

I mean the terrain seems unnatural to me here and then, this is for example Stalingrad, autumn, 2 September 1942, 8:13 in the morning.

Stock and modded:

comparison.thumb.jpg.b0bc182c4b9f2d93999c7ecdb375e2c8.jpg

I agree that the stock scenery is too green, but the modded version doesn't seem to be correct either. I feel like being in Sicily or Tunisia or in the Great American Desert instead of near the Volga. :cool:

Thank you for considering. :salute:

• Upvote 1
Goffik
31 minutes ago, sniperton said:

I agree that the stock scenery is too green, but the modded version doesn't seem to be correct either.

Looks fine to me, and I don't think it needs changing. It could potentially be argued that the terrain textures are not the right shade, but that's not the fault of this mod.

At the end of the day we'll all have our own ideas of what "perfection" looks like, but we can't expect modders to change things based on our own preferences.

sniperton
2 hours ago, Goffik said:

At the end of the day we'll all have our own ideas of what "perfection" looks like, but we can't expect modders to change things based on our own preferences.

My point is simple. Here in Eastern Europe the soil is never as orange as in Nothern-Africa or in Arizona.

Goffik
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sniperton said:

My point is simple. Here in Eastern Europe the soil is never as orange as in Nothern-Africa or in Arizona.

My point is equally simple, the soil colour is down to the terrain texture. Changing the excellent lighting Rowdy has achieved with this cloud mod to make the terrain "look the right colour" is not a fix, changing the texture is. That is beyond the scope of this mod.

By the way, Russia is a pretty big place. It has a lot of different terrains. The hills of Wales here in the UK can look as "orange" as that on a hot Summer day, and we're even farther from Africa than you are.

Edited by Goffik
  • Like 1
Mysticpuma
9 hours ago, sniperton said:

Hey @rowdyb00t, thank you for this great mod. :salute:

May I suggest that you should revisit the lighting and the skydome files?

I mean the terrain seems unnatural to me here and then, this is for example Stalingrad, autumn, 2 September 1942, 8:13 in the morning.

Stock and modded:

comparison.thumb.jpg.b0bc182c4b9f2d93999c7ecdb375e2c8.jpg

I agree that the stock scenery is too green, but the modded version doesn't seem to be correct either. I feel like being in Sicily or Tunisia or in the Great American Desert instead of near the Volga. :cool:

Thank you for considering. :salute:

To be honest I will live with the terrain, just look at how piss poor the sky colour currently is compared to Rowdy's mod..... What a difference for the better! 

• Upvote 1
Beebop
6 hours ago, sniperton said:

the soil is never as orange as in Nothern-Africa

Any chance Off_Winters North Africa mod is installed?

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

I dont believe its the lighting. I've messed with some Moscow map colors a bit.

STOCK Autumn

1514502919_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.2cfa54bb9bb649fe34a9ce9ea4c847e2.png 

MODDED Autumn

641431916_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.fef5f50e7f9bf07d138214da0c85c251.png

Colors a bit off yet (maybe too yellow)

Its easier to see the lighting color against an object. @sniperton same map date and time as your pic.

125254894_Screenshot(2).thumb.jpg.bd8bf3be0de5a4354377a76ec0ff64ca.jpg

1858183992_Screenshot(1).thumb.jpg.aad37e425d10c0ff66442d865e1ee86b.jpg

Edited by rowdyb00t
Mysticpuma
3 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I dont believe its the lighting. I've messed with some Moscow map colors a bit.

STOCK Autumn

1514502919_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.2cfa54bb9bb649fe34a9ce9ea4c847e2.png 

MODDED Autumn

Its easier to see the lighting color against an object. @sniperton same map date and time as your pic.

125254894_Screenshot(2).thumb.jpg.bd8bf3be0de5a4354377a76ec0ff64ca.jpg

1858183992_Screenshot(1).thumb.jpg.aad37e425d10c0ff66442d865e1ee86b.jpg

Puts the stock sky to shame. I just don't see why the developers can't see how off their sky colour is? 

Oyster_KAI

After getting used to this mod, it is difficult for me to accept the original sky dome with jagged cirrus and cloud.
200% hope that the stock game can break away from the donuts cloud and the boiling edge.

MajorMagee

It's like looking at the difference between Ektachrome and Kodachrome.

Goffik
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Puts the stock sky to shame. I just don't see why the developers can't see how off their sky colour is? 

Maybe that can. They mentioned somewhere (possibly in this thread) that there are plans to look at the clouds and weather at some point. No details or dates given though, so don't get excited. Rowdy's mod does a stellar job for now though, at least for those of us flying offline.

Edit: Found the post

Edited by Goffik
jokerBR
15 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

MODDED Autumn

Wow, this is SO much better. Congrats. 

rowdyb00t
48 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Wow, this is SO much better. Congrats. 

Thanks joker. When I get time I may try to adjust all the map colors. I messed with a few. 

• Like 1