[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

23 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Since the mod can only be used on SP mode

??? 

I, and the guys I fly with, use the mod for dogfight missions.

jokerBR
12 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Have you tried giving reshade a go? or the old banding fix mod? I'm using 0.8 but don't notice it as much as your pics

Yes, I tried with the banding fix to no avail. Still using it though.

12 hours ago, Beebop said:

??? 

I, and the guys I fly with, use the mod for dogfight missions.

You can use mods in MP only if the server allows them, which isn't the case on the servers I usually fly (Combat box, etc).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

You can use mods in MP only if the server allows them, which isn't the case on the servers I usually fly (Combat box, etc)

Oh, I see.  That was the missing information I didn't have when I made my response.

WatRed511

New to the game and mods...I have tried loading this mod as outlined by some..v15greysky, comulonibus3 and 3d overcast2..with the graphic preset..I am not very techy...to be honest I dont see improvement in the sky so assume it is a graphics card thing.  I assume I just unzip these into the mods folder and then add them to game with Generic Mod Enabler??  I have set to extreme and high clouds...is there some graphic setting that is best?  Only running an Nvidia GeForce GX 1060 3gb...will this run??  Help is appreciated.  Mod does look great from the screen shots I am seeing.

1 hour ago, WatRed511 said:

I have set to extreme and high clouds...is there some graphic setting that is best?

The mod works best with clouds (in Graphics Settings) set to High.

1 hour ago, WatRed511 said:

to be honest I dont see improvement in the sky

What folder did you put in the JSGME?

And what order did you put them in?

Ala13_UnopaUno_VR

image.png.6f138db2fd60cb3565fc0d28299e1570.pngimage.png.8870e05d436f40129672e61b31d76a81.png

il2 Bos // the frames never cover the sun well

image.png.2e0cb42df48291d29fc41f6114f1caa8.pngimage.thumb.png.5a0c3ad76c9f8ad0d54d777e907318f2.png

DCS

Detail of the sun breaking through the clouds.

It looks great work Rowdyb00t, it must be difficult to work the mod, with even things that squeak a lot, like the size of the disproportionate sun, flare, that eat the frames of the cabin (very visible in VR) domes, very low quality, I see that you work with many types of clouds, I have some questions, what is the most difficult for you to do? Do you think that the current cloud system / lighting / domes / reflections / flashes of the bos would need a complete facelift? or with the tools that you have, do you think it is enough? I can't stop thinking about the great advance that DCS and FS2020 has offered, but I see that in the bos, we are still in tow, Your mod seems to me very worked, but I think we should aspire to much much more, Jason W, already handles the possibility of a change, but from your opinion that you are working with them, do you think that with what they have they can match or improve those that other simulators are offering?
Greetings 07

Edited by Ala13_UnopaUno_VR

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

what is the most difficult for you to do?

Honestly I think that getting the lighting and cloud formations to look believable is the toughest.

Do you think that the current cloud system / lighting / domes / reflections / flashes of the bos would need a complete facelift?

Not completely, the cloud system works great but it needs some shader work for more definition and lighting. 
  The lighting is ok too other than the way it uses the ambient light to reflect the cirrus clouds. 
  The skydomes are also ok besides the banding in them and the water. That I believe is a graphic/ shader issue that Lizlemon has explained before very well. 
  As for the reflections and the sun, the light from the sun seems to bleed through the canopy and clouds. The clouds are rather transparent sometimes even with the density high. Also I think a shader fix would do for this. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

do you think that with what they have they can match or improve those that other simulators are offering?

I believe that what they have can definitely be better that the competitors. Mostly shader fixes. It would be awesome though if we had 3D cirrus clouds and precipitation tied to the cloud maps instead of the way it’s implemented now. Really just a little would go a long way. What they have now is very powerful and is not anywhere near it’s potential. A little TLC and it would be mind blowing. Hell even the little things are neat, did you know the clouds move with the wind? I’m sure Jason and the team will have something to exceed expectations as always :salute:

2021_3_15__4_17_7.thumb.png.e1455e4b5a06afeafd13ccbdcc29f6a7.png
912265998_Screenshot(97).thumb.png.6ad9eea7bcf5acc7c1950b7b93cba07c.png2021_4_8__3_28_42.thumb.png.53052208c6728d72ed6945bda1ba8454.png

2021_3_14__7_39_48.thumb.png.a593e17397fcd7f1e1c490f74ed2edbd.png

Definitely the potential. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 7

DN308

It must have been answered sometimes but How can i have great towerstyle cumulonimbus ? 
I design some missions and i have one with a solid clouds cover but I would like to have one of these great chimney in the sky 

DN308
On 4/27/2021 at 4:25 PM, Redwo1f said:

If someone is looking to snare an even greater fps boost, I have found 84 to be pretty good in the dancing department and quite an upboost in fps vs 96 for me. It is amazing how much that number affects fps (and ya, 128 take wayyy too much a hit for me as well).

How do you change that?

rowdyb00t
2 hours ago, DN308 said:

It must have been answered sometimes but How can i have great towerstyle cumulonimbus ? 
I design some missions and i have one with a solid clouds cover but I would like to have one of these great chimney in the sky 

Cumulonimbus 3 and set the clouds thickness to 10000. 

1 hour ago, DN308 said:

How do you change that?

It’s in the gpreset file. data/graphics/luascripts/gpreset.cfg

its the last line called clouds samples in which ever preset you use,  ex. High setting is the third one. 

• Thanks 1

DN308

Cloud thickness ???

🤔 

Damn, I’m away from my computer. Where is this option Is?

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DN308 said:

Cloud thickness ???

🤔

Damn, I’m away from my computer. Where is this option Is?

I was thinking you meant in the mission editor. If it’s the QMB it’s a gamble. 

Edited by rowdyb00t

jokerBR
On 4/28/2021 at 9:04 AM, rowdyb00t said:

@jokerBR

If you use the gpreset file, remove it and see if that helps. 

Hi @rowdyb00t, removing gpreset didn't help, but after some adjusting on my graphics card driver preferences, I was able to reduce it to a level that I almost don't notice, so all is well. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

DN308
5 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I was thinking you meant in the mission editor. If it’s the QMB it’s a gamble. 

No, it is in the ME. But I don’t remember where I can find that option in the weather conditions panel.

I remember cloud level and haze level but not the thickness.

Oh wait, is that not the level but the height you call thickness ?

rowdyb00t
3 minutes ago, DN308 said:

No, it is in the ME. But I don’t remember where I can find that option in the weather conditions panel.

I remember cloud level and haze level but not the thickness.

Oh wait, is that not the level but the height you call thickness ?

Yes height! That’s what I meant

• Thanks 1

Beebop
29 minutes ago, DN308 said:

Sorry for my poor English

NO need to apologize.  English is perhaps the most difficult language to master.  Heck, even most of us "native speakers" do a poor job of it.

I'd bet there are a lot of members who will profit from your "poor English" as the explanation helps everyone understand better.

rowdyb00t, I was unaware of how to maximize the cumulonimbus effect to it's full potential..  Thanks for helping us mission builders get a better grip on using your excellent mod. 

• Upvote 1

DN308

Thanks @Beebop, but I really need sometimes to figure out How to understand better.

Anyway, it could be a really good thing to have these kind of tips on the first post.

I’ve also read somewhere in the 38 pages of this thread some description and to what correspond which kind of cloud or cover to what.

it could be interesting to have that also. I wouldn’t ask for pics due to the size of the post but it could be a great add.

@rowdyb00t, your mod is the greatest addition to this game. If I would have to use only one mod, it would be yours!

Many many thanks and sorry for my questions 

• Like 1

Beebop
31 minutes ago, DN308 said:

and sorry for my questions

STOP IT!

How else are you supposed to learn?

Keep asking.  It helps others too.  😉👍

• Sad 1

vonGraf
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 1:25 AM, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

the frames never cover the sun well

The 'VREM-VR enhancer' made by lefuneste fixes this issue completely. It can be used without having VR on a monitor too.

It's here in the mod section.

Edited by vonGraf

Ala13_UnopaUno_VR
1 minute ago, vonGraf said:

El 'potenciador de realidad virtual' fabricado por lefuneste soluciona este problema por completo. También se puede usar sin tener VR en un monitor.

Está aquí en la sección de mods.

if i am aware that lefuneste mod fixes various things, but i dont like to play with mods i hope this is fixed by the developers, thanks von graf

• Like 1

Goffik

@rowdyb00t, is the VR version of your latest work still coming? I notice earlier you mentioned that VR users should try v15 as you thought performance was improved, but others seem to have disproved that. I'd still like a "dumbed-down" VR version in the interests of performance, if possible. No worries if you're not doing that anymore though... I can continue with CloudsVR2.

rowdyb00t
4 hours ago, Goffik said:

@rowdyb00t, is the VR version of your latest work still coming? I notice earlier you mentioned that VR users should try v15 as you thought performance was improved, but others seem to have disproved that. I'd still like a "dumbed-down" VR version in the interests of performance, if possible. No worries if you're not doing that anymore though... I can continue with CloudsVR2.

Yes eventually. My work schedule has been insane. Our company is swamped with work, I’ve been working on a job on a 4 ten hour day schedule out of town and then when I get in town I work Fridays and Saturday. 😫

I wanted to make this version to match up with the Version 15’s light and skydomes. 
As for the V15 being better performance it’s not. @TimSell75 , came up with some test results and they were a touch worse with VR. We have found that using the medium cloud setting greatly increases performance without killing the quality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Goffik
5 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Yes eventually. My work schedule has been insane.

There's no rush, take as long as you need. I was just curious given your previous comments, that's all. Good to know it's in the works, and in the meantime I'll give v15 a try just to see how it performs. 👍

rowdyb00t
19 minutes ago, Goffik said:

I'll give v15 a try just to see how it performs. 👍

See what you think about it on medium clouds

jokerBR

Trying with "medium" clouds (not VR). I think this setting is a keeper. 2021_5_3__2_47_23.thumb.jpg.04ad2b4c4228ab0b7d7baa2b4856d607.jpg

rowdyb00t
4 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Trying with "medium" clouds (not VR). I think this setting is a keeper. 2021_5_3__2_47_23.thumb.jpg.04ad2b4c4228ab0b7d7baa2b4856d607.jpg

Nice pic joker, big difference in performance?

jokerBR
6 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Nice pic joker, big difference in performance?

I'm not using VR, and I lock FPS to 60 because I use TrackIR, but although while using HIGH I was getting good performance, with MEDIUM it seemed a little bit more "fluid". Oh, and the banding was even less noticeable - almost zero. Definitely a keeper. 😉

• Like 1

Goffik
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

See what you think about it on medium clouds

I tried v15 with Medium cloud quality and 96 samples. It looked great and ran smoothly. Sixteen plane furball on Rhineland in overcast weather and the FPS held rock steady at 40, which is perfect. Thanks for the tip! 😎

(Intel Core i7 10850, RTX 2060, 32GB RAM, Rift S)

Edited by Goffik
PC specs added

Redwo1f
Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, jokerBR said:

I'm not using VR, and I lock FPS to 60 because I use TrackIR, but although while using HIGH I was getting good performance, with MEDIUM it seemed a little bit more "fluid". Oh, and the banding was even less noticeable - almost zero. Definitely a keeper. 😉

Holy smokes!!!! Just thought I would give medium a go too for the heck of it - wow! I went from a typical 67-107 fps solo fly around with Heavy clouds under HIGH clouds settings to immediately 102-129 fps with MEDIUM cloud setting under the same conditions - and it did look good (plus I have room to increase the samples too).  I think it will likely be a keeper for me too. 😀

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon....ughh - I can get banding with the far off distant clouds under MEDIUM that disappears when switching back to HIGH.

Edited by Redwo1f

jokerBR
8 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

... (plus I have room to increase the samples too).

Hmm, thanks for this, I forgot that part. Have to do some experiments too. Messing with the samples is a good idea since we now have a "new base" to measure things. Haven't noticed far away banding, but I just did two flights and since my " near banding" was reduced, I guess I'm already on the winning side. Maybe I can find a magic combination of medium+samples for my rig.

Redwo1f
2 hours ago, jokerBR said:

Hmm, thanks for this, I forgot that part. Have to do some experiments too. Messing with the samples is a good idea since we now have a "new base" to measure things. Haven't noticed far away banding, but I just did two flights and since my " near banding" was reduced, I guess I'm already on the winning side. Maybe I can find a magic combination of medium+samples for my rig.

Happy it is working out for you. :)  Even with medium and those beautiful frames, I am getting the distant banding - and found it is adding a good 4 secs to the time dilation as well regardless (using Gambit21's Rhineland Benchmark time dilation test). Back to testing between v14 and stock. Really love the lighting in v15 though - wish v14 had that. Oh well...

=RS=Funkie

Beautiful work on this mod.

Using this, Meplanes effects, the sun resizing mod in VR. it's the only way to play when in single player.

thank you!

jokerBR
11 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Happy it is working out for you. :)  Even with medium and those beautiful frames, I am getting the distant banding - and found it is adding a good 4 secs to the time dilation as well regardless (using Gambit21's Rhineland Benchmark time dilation test). Back to testing between v14 and stock. Really love the lighting in v15 though - wish v14 had that. Oh well...

More or less. You're right, there's still banding, sometimes far, sometimes near, sometimes all around (depends of "kind of clouds"), sometimes almost unnoticeable. It's like lottery. Unfortunately I don't have the v14 anymore to make comparisons, but I don't remember noticing banding on clouds on earlier versions. Anyway, as rowdy commented, the older clouds doesn't have the lighting that the new ones provide, neither the haze effect coded, so I guess this is a valid compromise?

Redwo1f
Posted (edited)

The banding  in my situation is a result of going down to "MEDIUM" cloud settings -while it looks great close up, in the distance it does not. Does this with v14 as well on MEDIUM. So for my system, it really needs the "HIGH" settings (and subsequent loss of the giant fps gain). And it was the versions prior to v14 that didn't have the haze effect coded (so v14 is still good), and v15 got a nice change on the lighting (much better, more natural imho vs v14). It's all a matter of personal taste though, and individual performance. V15 is definitely more of a load (but what is concerning to me is that it is adding to time dilation (even though high fps with MEDIUM)) - so the two issues combined make it a pass for me - though it really does look a beaut! 😍

Edited by Redwo1f

jokerBR

55 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

(but what is concerning to me is that it is adding to time dilation (even though high fps with MEDIUM))

Hm, curious to test time dilation with v15 and v14 on my system. Is v14 stashed somewhere? Can't seem to find it on the first page anymore.