[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

Let me know if I missed anything! Post your pics :fly:

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!

I love what you've done with the overcasts.

V15_greysky + overcast 3D + Cumlonimbu3 + new GPresets.

But....The Heavy/Medium/Light/Clear setting ground textures now have a yellow-ish cast to them and the sky seems more washed out, a lighter blue.

Settings:  QMB/VL summer/1300/Light clouds @ 3000m.

I did try various retakes knowing that the QMB picks randomly but all had the yellow-ish cast and washed out sky color.

See Attached.

V14g.jpg

V15.jpg

Is it possible to use V14_greysky with the new Overcast3D/Cumlonimus3/GPresets(2) modifiers?

Edited by Beebop

rowdyb00t
8 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Is it possible to use V14_greysky with the new Overcast3D/Cumlonimus3/GPresets(2) modifiers?

I believe so, try it :biggrin:

itsbillyfrazier

The previews look great Rowdy, DLing now, and I'll try out later.

it works (V14) with the new files except...

When I ran the QMB it worked fine the first time but on the second go round, due to the random nature of the QMB, I got this error.

See Attached.

My guess it has to do with the Cumlonimbus3 files as I had not installed the 3D Overcast or GPresets yet.

Rather than change a bunch of files I'll find another work-around.

Believe me, you outdid yourself with this update.  My only issue is totally personal and completely related to my machine/hardware/settings.

Image1.jpg

Edited by Beebop

tbauchot
2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Let me know if I missed anything! Post your pics :fly:

Very good first impression ! Thank you so much !

I will continue my discoveries, and I will not fail to give you pictorial news of your very pretty skies !

Here through the Cumulonimbus ! 😀

1.jpg

^^^

That's what I'm missing, that rich deep blue sky.

Game Gamma .08.  Lowering it even to .05 only darkens the overall image.

My monitor gamma 2.2

I'd rather not mess with the monitor color balance as otherwise I like it just fine.

Edited by Beebop

rowdyb00t

@Beebop

So the skydome8 can easily be changed in the sky.ini files that have it. If only takes a few minutes. Just open the files ( heavy and Overcast ) and remove the 8. That should fix you up. As for the lighting, I’ve tried to balance out the sun + ambient for the most realistic balance. I mixed the colors even to find the best light but, it will differ always because of user preferences and monitor colors. I use gamma at 0.8 and have my saturation in the gpreset down to 0.82. If you’d like pm me we can figure something out for ya ;)

TimSell75

I have tested it in VR and honestly...this looks better than the new clouds in DCS! Incredible work

Just 2 questions:

1. What is the quality difference between the VR and the non VR version?

2. Why is it not recommended to use Cumlonimbus in VR?

Thanks a lot for this great mod!

rowdyb00t
3 minutes ago, TimSell75 said:

I have tested it in VR and honestly...this looks better than the new clouds in DCS! Incredible work

Just 2 questions:

1. What is the quality difference between the VR and the non VR version?

2. Why is it not recommended to use Cumlonimbus in VR?

Thanks a lot for this great mod!

Your welcome :good:

To answer your questions,

I made the VR versions because some of the clouds from the original versions were eating the frames up. So I made smaller clouds that take less frames. The quality is still the same. However, now I believe I’ve figured out how to make them more FPS friendly. That actually is the same answer for the cumulonimbus clouds. I have a Vive pro, 2080ti and water cooled overclocked ryzen 7 5800x, and these clouds would bring me down to 30 fps. So that’s the answer for 2. 
   Out of curiosity, how are your frames with this version?

itsbillyfrazier

Rowdy,

Tremendous work.

The clouds are the best I've seen in the sim so far.

I've tried a few different maps with different combinations of clouds and time of day...what can I say only the clouds and lighting are simply fantastic so far.

I've yet to come across some of the issues I experienced with earlier versions of this mod.

I'll be playing around with the new version and testing it a lot more over the coming days. I've yet to try the grey sky version, so I'll look forward to giving that a go too.

Great job Rowdy.

2021_4_25__21_53_48.thumb.png.5349b4b2b926e5140762c8322833e553.png

Spoiler

2021_4_25__22_25_21.thumb.png.5e86452fa9bceb6bdeaaba5da9360f56.png

2021_4_25__22_17_59.thumb.png.e9e4981db66f3a720276260337448705.png

Spoiler

2021_4_25__22_19_9.thumb.png.61f2608a4d5f1bed40d0a426310c81e3.png

2021_4_25__22_32_55.png

2021_4_25__22_48_24.thumb.png.22e8bf0f5f5e0692755970bf5d12b869.png

Spoiler

2021_4_25__22_48_36.thumb.png.be1be42435934bca2777941676ab9b7f.png

2021_4_25__21_49_49.png

2021_4_25__21_50_35.thumb.png.2882dcfd618ba9ad2f96c9bf050fe538.png

2021_4_25__22_2_18.png

2021_4_25__22_2_1.png

2021_4_25__21_17_22noon heavy.png

2021_4_25__21_21_56.png

2021_4_25__22_25_14.thumb.png.445789a800d42d14467e8138df2cf8f8.png

2021_4_25__22_34_36.thumb.png.9e74edf76155dd8dcc9ef77b5698b77a.png

2021_4_25__22_35_0.thumb.png.8f4230b33f8c28d14a69852e6f2c9128.png

• Thanks 1

Oyster_KAI

Awesome!!👍
I used v15 greysky+3D OVERCAST 2+Cumulonimbus 3
FPS dropped by 10-20 on average.
I like the new colors of the landscape and skydome.
This is indeed the best cloud I have seen in GB...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@Beebop

So the skydome8 can easily be changed in the sky.ini files that have it. If only takes a few minutes. Just open the files ( heavy and Overcast ) and remove the 8. That should fix you up. As for the lighting, I’ve tried to balance out the sun + ambient for the most realistic balance. I mixed the colors even to find the best light but, it will differ always because of user preferences and monitor colors. I use gamma at 0.8 and have my saturation in the gpreset down to 0.82. If you’d like pm me we can figure something out for ya ;)

Thanks mate. 

I get that you are making this mod for the Community, not just me, and it appears you are succeeding fantastically.

I'll give your suggestions a try.

As for taking time away from your work, although I appreciate the offer to work with me one-on-one I'd rather you spent your time working on something for everyone.  As I said, these "issues" I have are most likely just mine.  Every other post I've seen indicates that others are getting what I'm wanting and your suggestions give me a way to try and achieve that.

+100 for your dedication!

Edited by Beebop

Stonehouse

Looks great, thank you for the effort expended on creating this Rowdy.

Only one passing comment arising from setting this into JSGME, it is something that has been around for a while. Possibly since day 1. 

I use mod that corrects sun and moon size that has been around for a long while but I notice that you have sun related files in the summer folder and main texture folder so I can't really reconcile the two mods as the sun and moon size correction doesn't populate the summer folder. I wondered if you had seen the size correction mod (I think it was one of Lizlemon's) and whether you had considered correcting the size of the sun and moon in your mod (they are much too large). 

FYI to others - meplanes effects mod also includes sun and skydome related files so be careful to load things in the appropriate order so that you see what you expect to see as an end result.

• Thanks 1

TimSell75
8 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Your welcome :good:

To answer your questions,

I made the VR versions because some of the clouds from the original versions were eating the frames up. So I made smaller clouds that take less frames. The quality is still the same. However, now I believe I’ve figured out how to make them more FPS friendly. That actually is the same answer for the cumulonimbus clouds. I have a Vive pro, 2080ti and water cooled overclocked ryzen 7 5800x, and these clouds would bring me down to 30 fps. So that’s the answer for 2. 
   Out of curiosity, how are your frames with this version?

Thanks a lot!

I will do some testing with different combinations and post the results here 😉

51 minutes ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Looks great, thank you for the effort expended on creating this Rowdy.

Only one passing comment arising from setting this into JSGME, it is something that has been around for a while. Possibly since day 1. 

I use mod that corrects sun and moon size that has been around for a long while but I notice that you have sun related files in the summer folder and main texture folder so I can't really reconcile the two mods as the sun and moon size correction doesn't populate the summer folder. I wondered if you had seen the size correction mod (I think it was one of Lizlemon's) and whether you had considered correcting the size of the sun and moon in your mod (they are much too large). 

FYI to others - meplanes effects mod also includes sun and skydome related files so be careful to load things in the appropriate order so that you see what you expect to see as an end result.

I use Liz Lemon's Sun Size Correction mod all the time.

I load it last.  I plays well with this mod, Rob's N. Africa repaint, meplane's Malta and Winter repaints, LF Gallands Kuban Winter repaint and the Stalingrad and Moscow repaints.

I HIGHLY recommend it!

Edited by Beebop

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Yes I use that one too. I left it out because some may not want the mod. It’s simpler to keep it for the sky and clouds only. Hell I even have a “better rain” mod here in the mod section somewhere :biggrin: . Although I prolly should tack it to the op here. I’m sure some do not know of it’s existence lol. 

I found it 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1

Dumb request for a dumb...

Is there a chance to have a step by step manual for what to use in which order?

Due to my English level, i’ Afraid to make mistakes and not to achieve the best experience

I've tried that rain mod but for some reason I prefer the big blobs of rain. 

I think because the mod makes the rain small and it's not as noticeable. 

Probably like real life.

But I'm kinda a Hollywood type sometimes.  Ridiculously big explosions, over the top weather (i want Aurora Borealis, lightning and more snow...but understand it's not at all easy)...

We need a smell mod too.  Burnt oil, steam, cordite sweaty leather.....

A round tuit...

Winning Lotto numbers...

😁

14 minutes ago, DN308 said:

Dumb request for a dumb...

Is there a chance to have a step by step manual for what to use in which order?

Due to my English level, i’ Afraid to make mistakes and not to achieve the best experience

No, It's not a dumb question.  It's smart to ask instead of getting all frustrated.

We all have been there, some of us, me notably, still are. 😀

* Install the V15 (plain or greysky, your choice) first.

* Then add (in any order) Cumulonimbus3, 3D Overcast.  Both are optional but make for some really nice heavy weather.

* Add Graphic Presets at any time.

If you do make an error and something doesn't look or act right uninstall and reinstall via JSGME.

Note; You will need to remove 3D Overcast and Cumulonimbus3 first as they modify the V15.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Beebop
  • Thanks 1

Stonehouse
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

Yes I use that one too. I left it out because some may not want the mod. It’s simpler to keep it for the sky and clouds only. Hell I even have a “better rain” mod here in the mod section somewhere :biggrin: . Although I prolly should tack it to the op here. I’m sure some do not know of it’s existence lol. 

I found it 

Yes I use both the sun size and your rain. I must have stuffed something up with the v15 install as I am getting a square "overlay" in external view looking past my plane at the sun. I figured sun size wasn't compatible with v15. If I actually line it up directly the aircraft is lost from view and I just get the glare square. I'll redo v15 I guess.

937482687_Il-22021-04-2621-41-47.thumb.jpg.873a5d76d4254d1efa7c650a01e54e9e.jpg

rowdyb00t
44 minutes ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Yes I use both the sun size and your rain. I must have stuffed something up with the v15 install as I am getting a square "overlay" in external view looking past my plane at the sun. I figured sun size wasn't compatible with v15. If I actually line it up directly the aircraft is lost from view and I just get the glare square. I'll redo v15 I guess.

937482687_Il-22021-04-2621-41-47.thumb.jpg.873a5d76d4254d1efa7c650a01e54e9e.jpg

That’s odd, haven’t seen that one before. 

Stonehouse

I'm in the process of rebuilding the v15 mod by taking the grey sky version, adding cumo, adding 3d overcast so I end up with a single combined mod folder. Have you any idea of which file might be responsible for the effect? Perhaps one of the normal map type files? I'm wondering if using the latest meplanes effects is part of the issue - I load meplanes effects, then your clouds and then finally sun size and rain. Possibly there is a file somewhere in those layers that causes it. Trial and error I guess.......

<edit> All good now, I have a custom version of the sunglow.dds file in sun size correction and I had a fiddle with it in gimp earlier today and being someone who tends to guess what I'm doing in gimp I managed to export it incorrectly and that caused it. lol Now I will have to recreate it again.

Edited by No457_Stonehouse

Redwo1f

Looks great so far, thank you very much! 🙂

Hey, I still use Cumulonimbus v1 (over v2) - and now see that there is a v3. Can't remember why I stayed with v1 - perhaps a framerate hit with v2. Is that the case with each successive Cumulonimbus versions - harder hitting with each successive?

rowdyb00t
14 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Looks great so far, thank you very much! 🙂

Hey, I still use Cumulonimbus v1 (over v2) - and now see that there is a v3. Can't remember why I stayed with v1 - perhaps a framerate hit with v2. Is that the case with each successive Cumulonimbus versions - harder hitting with each successive?

Version one only change 3 of the 10 presets. Version 2 changed all 10 however it was only the first three spread out for all 10. 
  Now version 3 has 10 different ones including some weather fronts mixed in. This version should have way less impact on FPS because I figured a way to lessen the impact :salute:

TimSell75

So I did some testing as promised.

My Configuration: RTX 3090, i9 9900k @ 4,9 GHZ, 32GB RAM, Using VR on a Reverb G2

Map Setting: Just me on the map flying a Bf109 E7 on stalingrad, starting at 2500m climbing trough the clouds to 5.000m (so no CPU limitations involved)

Game Setting: everything on Max with Ultra Preset, just Clouds to High (as recommended for the mod)

Weather setting: Clouds at 2.500m, Bad weather with some fog and haze (so pretty much worst case)

Results:

Clouds V14: 50-60 FPS

Clouds V15: 35-45 FPS

Clouds VR2: 50-60 FPS

Clouds VR2 + 3D Overcast2: 45-55 FPS

Clouds VR2 + Cumulonimbus3 : 35-40 FPS

Clouds V15 look extremely good but costs a lot of FPS, almost 25% compared to the VR2 Version and also compared to the previous V14.

The VR2 Version seems to have less clouds and thinner cloud layers (but still a huge upgrade to vanilla).

Cumulonimbus3 in VR is a frame killer, so the recommandation not to use it in VR seems legit 😉

I also tested the gpreset file but using it reduced my frames by almost 30%, so no go for me.

Edited by TimSell75
  • Thanks 1

rowdyb00t

I must have been dreaming :biggrin:. Lol. For some reason I thought I was getting better frames. I lowered the noise in the clouds but doing that I had to raise the detail. So I guess I need to try to figure out a good balance. V14 clouds have a plastic look to them so that’s why I changed it. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tests!

TimSell75
1 minute ago, rowdyb00t said:

I must have been dreaming :biggrin:. Lol. For some reason I thought I was getting better frames. I lowered the noise in the clouds but doing that I had to raise the detail. So I guess I need to try to figure out a good balance. V14 clouds have a plastic look to them so that’s why I changed it. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tests!

I think it is not only the detail. The cloud layer of V15 (at least in my test) seems to be much thicker than V14.  In V15 I had clouds from 2.500m almost up to 4.500m, in V14 clouds ended at 3000 - 3.500m.

So there is much more to render compared to VR2 and V14.

Adding more clouds while maintaining framerate is a huge task. And I guess you don´t have access to the source code? 😉

Oyster_KAI

Rowdy,
As I see more and more clouds, I still feel pleasantly surprised!!
Even if some FPS drops, these clouds have made huge progress
The colors of the cockpit and the ground are now clear and bright, giving me the illusion that the game engine has changed.
Rowdy, you must continue to create better clouds. I really enjoy seeing these new clouds in the sky now.

rowdyb00t
6 minutes ago, TimSell75 said:

And I guess you don´t have access to the source code?

No. I think I can shave some detail and hide it with the cloud contrast. I’ll test when I get home. 
  On a side note. I wonder how big the impact is for some on 2D. For me it was not noticeable. I have a pretty beefy system as well. 

4 minutes ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Rowdy,
As I see more and more clouds, I still feel pleasantly surprised!!
Even if some FPS drops, these clouds have made huge progress
The colors of the cockpit and the ground are now clear and bright, giving me the illusion that the game engine has changed.
Rowdy, you must continue to create better clouds. I really enjoy seeing these new clouds in the sky now.

Thanks! Maybe the devs will come up with something that has less of an impact on the frames. Or maybe nvidia comes out with something for VR. 

Redwo1f

Hey, thanks for the reply rowdyb00T. :) I will play around with Cumulonimbus v3 a bit later and see how it goes for me.

My gosh do you guys with VR really take a framerate hit with the game. Wow.

Can I suggest, rowdy, that perhaps you keep available older editions somewhere as well so a user can find one that is the best fit for them?

Edited by Redwo1f

rowdyb00t
6 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Hey, thanks for the reply rowdyb00T. :) I will play around with Cumulonimbus v3 a bit later and see how it goes for me.

My gosh do you guys with VR really take a framerate hit with the game. Wow.

Can I suggest, rowdy, that perhaps you keep available older editions somewhere as well so a user can find one that is the best fit for them?

I could repost the previous but everything else is prior to the Haze update. That means I would have to add the haze parameter to all of them :wacko:

• Like 2

jokerBR

The new clouds are more beautiful than the previous versions, although I'm getting heavy banding effects. Maybe the order of mods being used? The gpreset was tested with 128 and 96. The banding was the same (pictures taken with 128).

Obs: the pictures were resized to 50% (original were 2560x1080, and the effect was much more noticeable).

2021_4_27__2_54_29.jpg

2021_4_27__2_54_36.jpg

2021_4_27__2_54_50.jpg

Mods.jpg

Edited by jokerBR

rowdyb00t

@jokerBR

That’s normal for that size of cloud. I’m not sure why but the bigger they are the worse. Also if you notice, there are no cirrus clouds with them because the clouds are more transparent and you can see the cirrus clouds through them. It is possible that the banding you see is more noticeable because I lowered the noise to remove the “plastic look”. Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

Oyster_KAI

Today I used Graphic presets 96, instead of 128.
No obvious graphic difference was found, but the cloud is still very good!!!👍
The FPS hit has been reduced a lot, so I recommend Graphic presets 96.

rowdyb00t
2 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

Today I used Graphic presets 96, instead of 128.
No obvious graphic difference was found, but the cloud is still very good!!!👍
The FPS hit has been reduced a lot, so I recommend Graphic presets 96.

I use 96 also. The stock preset gives the best performance with 64, but the clouds start to dance and jitter. 

Had a lovely dawn patrol this morning, thank you for your hard work!

spitfire_dawn_patrol.thumb.jpg.974c7f2bc6769ca44935a0df4c572e23.jpg

• Like 1

Redwo1f
4 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I use 96 also. The stock preset gives the best performance with 64, but the clouds start to dance and jitter. 

If someone is looking to snare an even greater fps boost, I have found 84 to be pretty good in the dancing department and quite an upboost in fps vs 96 for me. It is amazing how much that number affects fps (and ya, 128 take wayyy too much a hit for me as well).

jokerBR

Update: noticed that the banding effect is heavily influenced by the gamma setting. Yesterday while testing I forgot to start the game on gamma=1, and ran it with gamma 0.8 (which I use on MP only). Running on gamma = 1.0 diminished the effect in a great way. Since the mod can only be used on SP mode (hence gamma=1), so I'm set. 😉

Stonehouse

Have you tried giving reshade a go? or the old banding fix mod? I'm using 0.8 but don't notice it as much as your pics