[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

Of course we're all impatient, but let's let Rowdy work ! His task is difficult, but there is no doubt that he will win !¬†ūüėĄ

twister.jpg

I'm finally finished with the summer files. Redone all the light.bmp's and skydomes, cloud lighting and the sort. I think I finally got them right. Also fixed some issues with the 3D overcast too. Now I am currently working on the winter files, doing the same there as well. Here's some summer screens.

2021_4_8__3_20_45.thumb.png.8af7a63629e1a03d0249ba41edf566eb.png

2021_4_8__3_22_22.thumb.png.6d8dbad783b9860b969fd6d2d5365b47.png

2021_4_8__3_28_42.thumb.png.53052208c6728d72ed6945bda1ba8454.png556156220_Screenshot(115).thumb.jpg.909e83a1a904800965002c4a3c8d5fcc.jpg

• Like 14

So I am done with Summer and Winter files on V15, still have to do the VR version. Other things I have left is Cumulonimbus and winter 3D overcast. I also got quite a bit more FPS out of this version. Hopefully I get done here in a week or so :biggrin:. Hate leaving you guys hanging! Here's some more screens.

2021_4_11__4_44_39.thumb.png.2d6280090c12f55b5dbbb434e80f01da.png

2021_4_12__3_23_7.thumb.png.d75e71b2f4652e3c930aa5f3067f2c7d.png

2021_4_12__3_29_19.thumb.png.0a76b1c82fbc6c9956977b39ac20b080.png

2021_4_12__3_21_24.thumb.png.b21bdfa8b9d449810152129ed412d24b.png

2021_4_12__3_19_46.thumb.png.2d753fe462f831eb5a2bad0f2ab095da.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Hopefully I get done here in a week or so

And if it's "or so" that is OK too.  This will be as worth the wait as anything you've done so far.  Those screens are J A W   D R O P P I N G !!!

I do wish so very dearly they'd incorporate something like this into the game by default.

One can dream...

In the meantime your mod is bloody fantastic as well, keep up the good work.

27 minutes ago, FlyingH said:

We "oldies" are used to Olegs "two weeks" wait for new updates; so the "or so" sounds familiar for us.ūü§ď

Two weeks Be sure!  Wolololololo!!

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Really like the landscape colours in this one, have you changed anything on the ground? Screenshot_20210414-225929_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d3cb60724d12ddcb1d6c1c0d5982abc5.jpg

No that’s the Velikie Luki summer map. I only changed the river color. The lighting is changed with the cloud mod.

I have to say that they did an outstanding job on that map. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BlackBadger said:

Have you reached out to the devs on this? I'd definitely consider adding this in the stock game by default!

I think it works like this...if the Devs are interested they will reach out.  Believe me they do know about this.

16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

No that’s the Velikie Luki summer map. I only changed the river color. The lighting is changed with the cloud mod.

I have to say that they did an outstanding job on that map. 

Well I look forward to trying this with your lighting change, hopefully it corrects the weird colour palette they use ūüĎć

(looks like it does?) 

• 1CGS

We've looked at it. Rowdy's Mod is fun and he is welcome to continue to do his thing. We like seeing his creativity. We already have plans to re-vamp our clouds, sky-domes and lighting etc. at some point. I have no ETA, but it's on our list.

As some have demonstrated here in the mod section, our sky technology is quite powerful and complex already. It takes a serious amount of work and artistic talent to get the most out of it and keep performance high. But the market that is flight-simming is ever changing and we must try to adapt when possible to stay competitive.

Jason 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 9

I almost downloaded this, 

Most of my play is online and I don't want to oogle this in single player then jump online.

It looks absolutely amazing though.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

We already have plans to re-vamp our clouds, sky-domes and lighting etc. at some point. I have no ETA, but it's on our list.

Do you have any teasers for that? Definitely looking forward to some re-vamped weather! Thanks :salute:

• Upvote 1

Jason, you haven't purchased FCII yet? Really?:rolleyes: What the Heck is up with that? Do I need to gift it to you? Are you tight on cash Sir? I could float you a little loan on PayPal if you are to proud to receive a gift? Let me know Sir because we need to correct this ASAP!!!:scratch_one-s_head:

S!Blade<><

• Haha 2

Because mostly being in the air, better clouds and skydome (for VR users), are more than welcome, even more then an 3D terrain mode. Only as it is for mostly not possible to get an decent GPU upgrade at affordable prices, I also do hope the efficiency of cloud rendering is  not being neglected. 

I think moving cloudfronts would be insane. It's not a *must have* but imagine the following scenario:

-BON map

-you leave the south of England for your mission on the continent

-come back to nasty weather and have a hard time landing 

-Stormy weather/ fog in England

1 minute ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I think moving cloudfronts would be insane. It's not a *must have* but imagine the following scenario:

-BON map

That’s exactly what I use to think about the game clouds animations.

There is no way closing the sky with clouds coming with the wind for example over a certain place while flying to there or when we fly back home.

Or the impossibility to put some clouds somewhere in particular over a particular place, like we can have in real life flying 

5 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

-BON map

I have a couple of files mixed in that have fronts that will move if you set the wind. I actually just finished up with the new cumulonimbus version and it has a few weather fronts with it. 

2008453798_Screenshot(132).thumb.png.5024552b0fe7d531e57454a8c3493a41.png997373680_Screenshot(133).thumb.png.494436198054371ac5034dbf2b25073f.png

If you set the wind coming out of the west, they work just like a front. Of course rainless and no lightning :scratch_one-s_head:. Some of them I have are built to come from the north or south. But my point is that these are definitely achievable though.

@Jade_Monkey  @DN308

2021_4_16__5_5_24.thumb.png.b7a49f10d84211f6619c21834e84b229.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

The outlines of the clouds seem much more vaporous than in the current version. The rendering is very successful ! Well done ! ūüėÄ

Another note: Do you plan to use your "grey skies" in the next version ? If so, would it be possible to offer them as an option rather than integrating them directly into the mod ?

nuages.png

2 hours ago, tbauchot said:

Another note: Do you plan to use your "grey skies" in the next version ? If so, would it be possible to offer them as an option rather than integrating them directly into the mod ?

I’m not sure what you mean? I will have two versions for V15 and two versions for cloudsVR. One with a few grey skydomes and one with none. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

I’m not sure what you mean ? One with a few grey skydomes and one with none.

Thank you very much, be sure, your answer is exactly what I asked about your grey skies !

Finally, take note, that I am very grateful to you for your magnificent and very artistic work on a world that so many people ignore and discover thanks to you ! ūüėÄ

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey Rowdyboot thank you for you work so far.

I have a request; Would it be possible for you to add screenshots to all the different download options to show what the differences are and what they do in the first post?

I find it confusing what to expect from the links.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mainstay said:

Hey Rowdyboot thank you for you work so far.

I have a request; Would it be possible for you to add screenshots to all the different download options to show what the differences are and what they do in the first post?

I find it confusing what to expect from the links.

Sure thing. I’ll update this when I upload the new versions. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/19/2021 at 10:17 AM, Mysticpuma said:

I'm wishing you luck with this Rowdy, the colour pallette in BoX is awful. 

Unfortunately I have to agree.

I welcome Jason's post that work and improvements are planned for the future.  For me they can't come soon enough.

I suspect this is one of those areas that falls through the cracks for the dev team - no-one maybe to pull everything together here when other concrete improvements and updates are made. Seeing Rowdy's (and others) results show just what the engine is capable of, but it does seem to be an aspect that has been allowed to drift off over time. Really needs to get a makeover - especially with MS Flightsim and DCS pushing the visual standard forward.

Strange thing is just before the deferred shading came in, I remember playing Flying Circus and marvelling at how great it looked. I'd made some tweaks to a gamma setting on my monitor and everything really came together. I expected that DS would improve things more, but actually the maps/environment contrast/lighting/colour seemed to drift off. Maybe there wasn't the time or the staff to make needed tweaks? But it does seem to have increasingly drifted and been neglected for too long, and now needs to become centre of attention to pull everything together.

Edited by kendo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The level has been set very very high by FS2020 and DCS at the moment, where you really feel like being in the AIR, surrounded by incredible clouds, and with a very real and organic texture on the ground, some night Domes that are really precise
  On the other hand, in the currently VR BOX these details are transformed into Falsely HUGE Sun and stars without meaning, terrain that you notice repetitive patterns, flickering clouds ... the comparisons are hateful, but it is still my favorite wwii simulator, I feel that The team will do a good job remodeling the entire environment and weather effects, but without ETA ... it will be time to wait a long time, who knows what happened after Normandy leaves, we don't know.

• Upvote 4
12 hours ago, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

The level has been set very very high by FS2020 and DCS at the moment, where you really feel like being in the AIR, surrounded by incredible clouds, and with a very real and organic texture on the ground, some night Domes that are really precise
  On the other hand, in the currently VR BOX these details are transformed into Falsely HUGE Sun and stars without meaning, terrain that you notice repetitive patterns, flickering clouds ... the comparisons are hateful, but it is still my favorite wwii simulator, I feel that The team will do a good job remodeling the entire environment and weather effects, but without ETA ... it will be time to wait a long time, who knows what happened after Normandy leaves, we don't know.

Yep, I am worried too about that, the competition now is hard, dcs really rised the bar now, and it seems they want to put more effort on ww2

Hace 3 horas, SJ_Butcher dijo:

Sí, también estoy preocupado por eso, la competencia ahora es dura, dcs realmente subió el listón ahora, y parece que quieren poner más esfuerzo en ww2

If DCS will consider taking out the Pacific in the short medium term, with carriers, and a batch of corresponding planes for the Japanese and American side ... they would hit a big ball, the environment, the atmosphere the water, the aircraft carriers have already shown that they can and have the capacity to do it ... short the topic that this forum is from Il2, hopefully in the future the developers will give the graphics level What is demanded by 2021, when you spend 90% of the flight in the air, the only thing you want is good clouds and feeling like you're flying, I would dedicate more time to the environment, land / sea / air / space,the planes we already have more than 70, if they were to focus a season on giving us this ... I prefer it rather than a new and repetitive DLC, but they are my own opinions and money is the boss here Unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

If DCS will consider taking out the Pacific in the short medium term, with carriers, and a batch of corresponding planes for the Japanese and American side ... they would hit a big ball, the environment, the atmosphere the water, the aircraft carriers have already shown that they can and have the capacity to do it ... short the topic that this forum is from Il2, hopefully in the future the developers will give the graphics level What is demanded by 2021, when you spend 90% of the flight in the air, the only thing you want is good clouds and feeling like you're flying, I would dedicate more time to the environment, land / sea / air / space,the planes we already have more than 70, if they were to focus a season on giving us this ... I prefer it rather than a new and repetitive DLC, but they are my own opinions and money is the boss here Unfortunately. 

1CGS/777 may have been secretly undergoing core and graphics upgrades.
The challenges in the future seem to be getting more and more difficult, and the Pacific may really be a very important move.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I have a list of things that are missing for the GB skies. 

- 3D cirrus

- the ability to localize rain/sleet/snow and lightning to the cloud maps.

-remove the old overcast

- correct sun and moon size also being enlarged at dawn and dusk.

-stars need work

-upscaled cloud maps that the game engine can utilize. ( currently 512x512 )

-ability to space the cloud layers further apart. 

-untie the cirrus lighting from the ambient light. It needs to be lit with the sun like the clouds are. 

-shader fixes for the cloud lighting and landscape, along with a banding fix for everything. 

-cirrus clouds move with the wind too. 

I’m sure I forgot a few things, but I think all these things are achievable. The BOX clouds are plenty good enough. You can make literally any type of cloud. Honestly, a small overhaul with this would make it better than “ the other sim “

Stay tunes for some new versions this weekend. ;)

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

- correct sun and moon size also being enlarged at dawn and dusk.

I agree but the sun seems too large all the time.  I use Liz Lemons' "sun size correction" mod all the time.  it's still too large but then again I seldom look directly at the real thing so direct comparison is not likely from me.

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

-stars need work

I'm assuming you mean luminosity.  I believe that the placing and constellations are period correct or so I've heard.  It's pretty cool to look at the sky, find Ursa Minor and have an idea which way is North.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So the more I think about it, the precip being tied to the cloud maps I have no idea if that’s do-able. But if you removed the fog range limit in the overcast ini files, you could lose the 14Km circle that the rain works in. This would open it up to a better 3D overcast. Currently the ones I have now are built to mask the range limit. 

It seems that the sky affects the color of the landscape a lot, great job Rowdy!!
Can I expect that one of the features of this new version is complete fix the watercolor edges?

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Oyster_KAI said:

It seems that the sky affects the color of the landscape a lot, great job Rowdy!!
Can I expect that one of the features of this new version is complete fix the watercolor edges?

:biggrin:  Well the first to pics are from me modding the Rheinland spring map. But the third pic is stock map. The lighting will however bring more life to the environment.

stock light

444503391_Screenshot(116).thumb.jpg.1bbc07b08a7b3b4936a200784cd85ba9.jpg

modded

754121709_Screenshot(115).thumb.jpg.4877f06b89dc71ef1e60a4f072f808e0.jpg

that’s Stalingrad 

stock light

122676051_Screenshot(114).thumb.jpg.f120556a507902ca6fb3e30fcb480a0b.jpg

modded

1408034462_Screenshot(113).thumb.jpg.1181711bfb68628709a8d5f9908d1c73.jpg

that’s on Velikie Luki Summer stock map. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

While mission building today I thought I was watching The Fixx's song "Red Skies at Night", except the time is morning.

MODS:

Cloudsv14_greysky

Cumulonimbus2

Sun Size Correction

Map: Velikie Luki
Date: 11/20/42
TOD: 0800
Weather: 04_overcast_08
Clouds: 500m
Height: 600 meters
Temp: -15
Pressure: 760Mmhg
No wind/No turbulence
Game Gamma: 08

My Specs:

1440p Monitor
Monitor Gamma: 2.2

Not a complaint, just an interesting result...

Red Skies.jpg

• rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

Ok so I've updated the first post with Version 15, 15 grey sky, 3D overcast 2 and new cumulonimbus. I had to work Saturday and I'm out of town, so that put me back on the VR version. It will be soon though. Honestly the VR simmers should give V15 a go, I fly VR and got a lot better FPS with this version. ENJOY! :biggrin:

2021_4_12__3_26_4.thumb.png.83b5d1af9ebb610d737b254932da59a0.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6