[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

peregrine7
On 3/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, rowdyb00t said:

I installed it and didn’t really notice a difference like I said earlier. So therefor, I assumed it may not be working. Maybe it’s not noticeable in VR. 
   As for the banding that was being discussed in the earlier posts, I was referring to the clouds and how it was noticeable on a thinner layer. 

The banding Liz is referring to is this kind of thing (left image)
OCQjmpS.png

See how the colour does not smoothly change across the planet? This is a particularly glaring example of how bad banding can be.
IL2 has similar issues though, especially when looking through the window at the sky. Depends on time of day etc.

The image on the right has had dithering applied, to great effect. Something I'd love to see in IL2 (though truth be told I'd rather they do some work on lighting and colour depth, skyboxes and colour calibration).

Dithering, at a shader level, is quite easy to fix. See this article:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-shader-snippets-for-efficient-2d-dithering/?locale=nl_NL

Edited by peregrine7
  • Upvote 1
BladeMeister

Now I am getting somewhere. Thank you Rowdy! The really nice part is that the weird banding when you get close to the top of the clouds is gone also.

S!Blade<><

O75FjHU.png

Spoiler

oxBkqWF.png

Spoiler

vURJnBw.png

rowdyb00t

@peregrine7

Thanks for the read. I’ve never attempted to mess around with the shaders. I wouldn’t even know where to begin. What is the best program for editing and how would I edit the shaders in IL2. The shader folder has no HLSL files in it. Even after I un-GTP the file. 
  I suppose I’ve never really payed much attention to the banding in the game. I’ll try out Lizs banding fix again. 

LizLemon
13 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

The banding Liz is referring to is this kind of thing (left image)
OCQjmpS.png

See how the colour does not smoothly change across the planet? This is a particularly glaring example of how bad banding can be.
IL2 has similar issues though, especially when looking through the window at the sky. Depends on time of day etc.

The image on the right has had dithering applied, to great effect. Something I'd love to see in IL2 (though truth be told I'd rather they do some work on lighting and colour depth, skyboxes and colour calibration).

Dithering, at a shader level, is quite easy to fix. See this article:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-shader-snippets-for-efficient-2d-dithering/?locale=nl_NL

The game is doing a dithering pass, however its using a bayer pattern (lol) and doing it the wrong way/stage in the pipeline (basically worthless). 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
jokerBR
10 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

The game is doing a dithering pass, however its using a bayer pattern (lol) and doing it the wrong way/stage in the pipeline (basically worthless). 

Hi Liz, thanks for all the work you've done so far, you have solid skills and I'm a happy user of some of your enhancements for a long time now. Regarding your statement above, are the devs aware of your findings? I mean, if this can be solved on the engine level, it would benefit the MP players as well.

• Upvote 1
LizLemon
44 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

Hi Liz, thanks for all the work you've done so far, you have solid skills and I'm a happy user of some of your enhancements for a long time now. Regarding your statement above, are the devs aware of your findings? I mean, if this can be solved on the engine level, it would benefit the MP players as well.

I've posted about it before. What they need to do is stop using a regular pattern for dither(bayer) and use some like blue noise or triangular dither. The mod I made just changes the dither pattern to blue noise and does a very good job at reducing the banding - and this would be a very easy change for the developers to do, like a whopping 2mins to do.

The other thing is to do the dither/noise right before the framebuffer is converted to 8bit for output to the display. This couple with a random noise will basically make any kind of banding invisible nearly 100% of the time. Over the past couple years where dithering is done has been changed in the game. At one point the sky was getting a dithering pass and then later in the pipe the whole framebuffer was getting another dithering pass. Stuff like that is just weird and makes me 100% believe the developers when they say that they don't have a graphics programmer on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
jokerBR

Thanks very much for your answer, I haven't read your previous comments about the matter. I wish that devs contact you to help them to solve this (hope devs read this thread, really!). They have done arrangements with other modders in the past, most recently with Oyster_KAI on 4K cockpits, which in turn brought the game to another level. I understand that these are completely different animals (cockpit arts and graphics programming), but having someone like you on board would benefit everyone not only by providing a better looking game, but also a more performant one through fine optimization. 👍

Edited by jokerBR
vonGraf

Beautiful clouds on the Kuban map today. (v.14)

Wolk02.thumb.jpg.d315c7e16193b4bacda7d4d751da8127.jpgWolk03.thumb.jpg.19cdbbf8aab50dd0d9e3a4e9c1183f38.jpgWolk04.thumb.jpg.5ab79b4b278a67c2c811e9192dc6b8d6.jpg

• Like 1
LizLemon
5 hours ago, jokerBR said:

Thanks very much for your answer, I haven't read your previous comments about the matter. I wish that devs contact you to help them to solve this (hope devs read this thread, really!). They have done arrangements with other modders in the past, most recently with Oyster_KAI on 4K cockpits, which in turn brought the game to another level. I understand that these are completely different animals (cockpit arts and graphics programming), but having someone like you on board would benefit everyone not only by providing a better looking game, but also a more performant one through fine optimization. 👍

There are tons of goofy issues in this game that are very straight forward fixes. I doubt anything will be done about them. Like the glow around the moon - the banding is bad because the glow texture is bright and the value it is multiplied by, something like 0.1 at full moon, is very low. This causes quantization errors. The banding can easily be fixed by doing the opposite, making the glow texture dim and the value its multiplied by 1.0 at full moon. Or the sun since the exact same glow texture is being used there, even though the sky is also being made brighter by the sun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
tbauchot

Dear RowdybOOt,

When I fly under cumulonimbus like these,
the graphics are quite disappointing when I look up towards the base of the clouds.

As you can see in the following images,
we can see areas of different tones and densities follow each other
without a smooth transition.

Technical informations :

CloudConfig = "summer\03_Heavy_04\sky.ini";
Time = 8:8:0;
Date = 15.10.1941;
GuiMap = "moscow-autumn";
CloudLevel = 600;
CloudHeight = 1100;

So please, if possible, could you take that little graphical annoyance into account
in your development work ?

Thank you very much in advance. I wish you many discoveries
and pleasures in your investigations !

You are really on a very good way !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

rowdyb00t
50 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

Dear RowdybOOt,

When I fly under cumulonimbus like these,
the graphics are quite disappointing when I look up towards the base of the clouds.

As you can see in the following images,
we can see areas of different tones and densities follow each other
without a smooth transition.

Technical informations :

CloudConfig = "summer\03_Heavy_04\sky.ini";
Time = 8:8:0;
Date = 15.10.1941;
GuiMap = "moscow-autumn";
CloudLevel = 600;
CloudHeight = 1100;

So please, if possible, could you take that little graphical annoyance into account
in your development work ?

Thank you very much in advance. I wish you many discoveries
and pleasures in your investigations !

You are really on a very good way !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This happened because I increased the size so much. Thanks for reminding me however. I’ll have a look at them when I dig back into them. I planned in making new cloud maps with a few weather fronts as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

Working on some of the cloud lighting and detail.

2021_3_13__21_4_28.thumb.png.8f1d783226cd2c91507a5ad15670d502.png

2021_3_13__21_1_30.thumb.png.34c94fc302fc12d5c5794a394a1e01c0.png

2021_3_13__21_0_28.thumb.png.6baee8df75e06298d3ddfabbce517ab7.png

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 6
tbauchot
2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Working on some of the cloud lighting and detail.

Very nice result ! in addition, cirrus clouds are now colored at sunset or sunrise ! 😀

rowdyb00t
32 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

Very nice result ! in addition, cirrus clouds are now colored at sunset or sunrise ! 😀

The only issue with having the cirrus clouds colored is that it affects the ambient lighting in the morning and evening because the cirrus clouds are lit by the ambient light. It’s easier to do for the spring, summer and fall maps but the winter maps will have colored snow ( purple / orange ) which I do have a slight bit of that in the winter files. Kind of a trade off but I think it’s worth it. I just added another light.bmp to the mod. 

• Like 1
Beebop
4 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

but the winter maps will have colored snow

As long as it's not yellow.....

• Haha 2
rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

And this.

912265998_Screenshot(97).thumb.png.6ad9eea7bcf5acc7c1950b7b93cba07c.png

I wish I could find a way to add 10 more presets to each type of weather. This would double the size of the options for everything. However I doubt its do-able. I’m trying to figure out a way to make this one mod instead of having all the different add-ons. Other than still having the VR mod, I think it would make it simpler.  
  Anyway I’ve made 2 new skydomes and light.bmp’s so far mixing them a little for some eye candy. The clouds are getting some adjustments too. Turning up the sunbright and lowering the ambient is getting some good results as you can see in the 3 pics from earlier. I’ll post some more pics in a bit. I kinda got some free time to mess around with it this evening. :salute:

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 11
blue_max

Looks really nice! Would it be an idea to bundle in some of the fixes proposed by @LizLemon, together with the cloud mod?

Edited by blue_max
peregrine7
1 hour ago, blue_max said:

Looks really nice! Would it be an idea to bundle in some of the fixes proposed by @LizLemon, together with the cloud mod?

Unless they are actually made (as opposed to proposed) this won't happen. Some are easy fixes, but only for the devs! Others are easy to say, harder to fix and some are just easy but require some technical knowledge.

But certainly would be keen to see some graphics engine fixes for the devs.

Rowdy, love your clouds but the colouring on all the mod versions since V8 or V9 has been quite wacky (mostly just vivd purple!). I'm not sure how that's happened but take a look at CIE sky and see if you can match some colours up there. Alternatively play with a shader to get your sun/sky values like https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XtBXDz

I'm also quite a fan of this paper for cloud shaders http://maverick.inria.fr/Publications/2008/BNMBC08/cloudsFINAL.pdf

I know you are messing with properties in IL2, not the actual shaders. But these may give you some ideas or understanding that could help!

Edited by peregrine7
  • Thanks 1
rowdyb00t
5 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Rowdy, love your clouds but the colouring on all the mod versions since V8 or V9 has been quite wacky (mostly just vivd purple!).

Yes some of the versions have been a bit “wacky” with the light.bmp’s. In the current version I think there are 5 light.bmp’s for winter and 6 for summer. The only one that has a purple color is one of them the winter file. There is also one with some orange tint. The light.bmp has four values. Top is the sun lighting, this one affects the sun color on objects / clouds. Second one down is the daytime ambient lighting, this is the one I added a tint of purple/orange to in the morn/eve because the cirrus clouds are also tied to this for some reason. Third line down is the nighttime lighting from the moon/stars, does the same as the first line. And the forth line down is the nighttime ambient, also effecting the landscape. 
   I’m not sure I understand you, do you see purple lighting all the time?  This should not be, only in the morning and evening for 15 minutes or so. The rest of the lighting is very much appropriate for the coloring of the world. Have a look at them in from the latest version and you’ll see what I’m trying to explain. 

The pink in the pics up there is the same concept as I’ve explained, with the light color change in the morning and evening. The ambient light should not be coloring the cirrus clouds because it kills the color for everything else. I guess I just thought that it’s maybe a fair trade off for having a better sky scenery. Of course this won’t be for everyone. Anyway thanks for the input and links :salute:

• Thanks 1
LizLemon
10 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Yes some of the versions have been a bit “wacky” with the light.bmp’s. In the current version I think there are 5 light.bmp’s for winter and 6 for summer. The only one that has a purple color is one of them the winter file. There is also one with some orange tint. The light.bmp has four values. Top is the sun lighting, this one affects the sun color on objects / clouds. Second one down is the daytime ambient lighting, this is the one I added a tint of purple/orange to in the morn/eve because the cirrus clouds are also tied to this for some reason. Third line down is the nighttime lighting from the moon/stars, does the same as the first line. And the forth line down is the nighttime ambient, also effecting the landscape. 
   I’m not sure I understand you, do you see purple lighting all the time?  This should not be, only in the morning and evening for 15 minutes or so. The rest of the lighting is very much appropriate for the coloring of the world. Have a look at them in from the latest version and you’ll see what I’m trying to explain. 

The pink in the pics up there is the same concept as I’ve explained, with the light color change in the morning and evening. The ambient light should not be coloring the cirrus clouds because it kills the color for everything else. I guess I just thought that it’s maybe a fair trade off for having a better sky scenery. Of course this won’t be for everyone. Anyway thanks for the input and links :salute:

Light.bmp is sun, ambient, a line that does nothing and moon.  There is no night ambient. I know a certain someone probably told you otherwise but he is wrong and its very easy to test if you doubt me.

And peregrine is right, most of you light.bmps have weird things going on. 3 of them are pinkish light during the day, one has blue sunlight during sunrise another has the sun shining through the ground, a couple of them have brighter ambient than sunlight, ect. I've explained all of this stuff to you multiple times. I can get some of these things being stylized/exaggerated intentionally but the sun shining through the ground, an issue your mod has had for well over a year now, isn't some personal preference thing - its objectively wrong. How you haven't fixed this is beyond me, but it makes me think that you seriously need to calibrate your monitor or spend more time learning whatever image editing program it is that you use.

5 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

Unless they are actually made (as opposed to proposed) this won't happen. Some are easy fixes, but only for the devs! Others are easy to say, harder to fix and some are just easy but require some technical knowledge.

But certainly would be keen to see some graphics engine fixes for the devs.

Rowdy, love your clouds but the colouring on all the mod versions since V8 or V9 has been quite wacky (mostly just vivd purple!). I'm not sure how that's happened but take a look at CIE sky and see if you can match some colours up there. Alternatively play with a shader to get your sun/sky values like https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XtBXDz

I'm also quite a fan of this paper for cloud shaders http://maverick.inria.fr/Publications/2008/BNMBC08/cloudsFINAL.pdf

I know you are messing with properties in IL2, not the actual shaders. But these may give you some ideas or understanding that could help!

All of it requires shader modding and will never be part of this mod. 

• Upvote 1
rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Light.bmp is sun, ambient, a line that does nothing and moon.  There is no night ambient. I know a certain someone probably told you otherwise but he is wrong and its very easy to test if you doubt me.

I have tested this and the third line is the moons and stars. Lighten it up then look at it ingame. The ME does not show this. The forth line does brighten the ambient at night. I was wondering how long it would take for you to chime in. 
 I never noticed the sun shining through the ground. How bout an example. Also if everyday was exactly the same as the next, the light would be the same as well. There are so many things to consider when it comes to how the sky, clouds, sun, haze and time have as affect on the world. I work outside for a living and can tell you we don’t live in a p/c. 
4E2D2579-0ACE-47AB-B4EF-55BDDE4288D2.thumb.jpeg.6a7411c6e30da7f2a0ab95c1d721b693.jpeg

perhaps the sky was not doing it’s job here. 

Why do you say it’s wrong. Maybe you could rephrase that and give a constructive example and how you came up with it. Yes I know you’ve gave me examples and explained things but what makes those  correct. Unless it’s some sort of computer genius thing my ass will understand nothing about. Keep in mind I’m just fooling about with something that I started for myself. If you don’t like it I could care less. 

7 hours ago, LizLemon said:

All of it requires shader modding and will never be part of this mod. 

How do you know that? 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 2
tbauchot

My God, my God, could you both calm down ! I am very sorry to see these fruitless fights of ideas. Could we dream serenely, and take advantage of the beneficial investigations of RowdybOOt who does research to offer us his achievements taking into account our remarks ? I have absolutely nothing against you and your technical remarks which are certainly very relevant, dear LizLemon, but could you offer us an alternative to this mod ?

And above all, note that I say this in total respect and friendship for each other ... 😀

• Upvote 4
rowdyb00t
1 hour ago, tbauchot said:

My God, my God, could you both calm down ! I am very sorry to see these fruitless fights of ideas. Could we dream serenely, and take advantage of the beneficial investigations of RowdybOOt who does research to offer us his achievements taking into account our remarks ? I have absolutely nothing against you and your technical remarks which are certainly very relevant, dear LizLemon, but could you offer us an alternative to this mod ?

And above all, note that I say this in total respect and friendship for each other ... 😀

It’s all good. He’s right about things. He sometimes reminds me of this guy lol. 
F41FF468-2A25-4AF2-9C1D-5929F887AFF4.jpeg.02b6edac52a5da02490165da98654d20.jpeg

My modding skills are not of someone who does this for a living. I just try to recreate things to how I perceive things. This mod has been a work in progress that I release with you guys each time I change something. I love the feedback. LOTS of trial and error. 

• Like 4
peregrine7
1 minute ago, rowdyb00t said:

It’s all good. He’s right about things. He sometimes reminds me of this guy lol. 
[grumpylemon.jpg]

Bahaha, sorry to spawn the grumpyness. LizLemon's always right, but the tone of the posts is a bit much. It's like if you, a physicist, met God, and could ask him anything about how the world works. But he took the form of your abrasive, drunken uncle.
Hope you're both doing well in non-flightsim-land. We're all just fiddling around trying to make the sim we enjoy flying look a bit better in the end.

I wanted realistic colours as well as the clouds, so I decided to go through and start making them. I started off by IDing the light.bmp file with different colours for each of the bars, e.g. purple, green, red etc. This let me see what was working.
Then I took a look at how exactly the colours were added e.g. The direct being ambient + "sun" (row 1 + row 2). By putting in two known colours in row 1, row 2 and then taking a screenshot in game and seeing if they were literally 1+2 or how much of each component was added. There is a bit of modifying to the brightness of sun light (row 1) at dawn but it's almost directly r1 + r2.
So knowing that I took some open license sun colour charts, sorted them by sun angle and took some ambient skymaps (averaged to get a single colour) and then I subtracted the ambient from the "sun" so that when implemented in game I would actually get the direct lighting values I was after. 

It's a pain in the ass and I don't envy you Rowdy, this game engine is the clunkiest thing! My alternative is modifying shaders directly through something like VREM (3Dmigoto) which is actually tempting me now. God help me.

• Haha 1
Beebop

It's folks like rowdy and Liz that make this sim rise above it's roots and make it even more enjoyable.

I, and I know I am not alone, feel blessed to have such smart and dedicated members work hard, on their own dime, to bring even more goodness to an already great sim.  Both of them are only trying to give us a better world to fly in and I hope that they continue to have respect for each others work so that the rest of us mere mortals can have a better experience for just a quick download.

Without them, and many many more like them, I would still enjoy the game but would not know what I was missing.

Oh that the Devs would give them the tools and information they need to more seamlessly integrate their work into the base game.

Thanks rowdy! :thank_you:

Thanks Liz. :thank_you:

👍👍👍

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
LizLemon
58 minutes ago, peregrine7 said:

Bahaha, sorry to spawn the grumpyness. LizLemon's always right, but the tone of the posts is a bit much. It's like if you, a physicist, met God, and could ask him anything about how the world works. But he took the form of your abrasive, drunken uncle.
Hope you're both doing well in non-flightsim-land. We're all just fiddling around trying to make the sim we enjoy flying look a bit better in the end.

I wanted realistic colours as well as the clouds, so I decided to go through and start making them. I started off by IDing the light.bmp file with different colours for each of the bars, e.g. purple, green, red etc. This let me see what was working.
Then I took a look at how exactly the colours were added e.g. The direct being ambient + "sun" (row 1 + row 2). By putting in two known colours in row 1, row 2 and then taking a screenshot in game and seeing if they were literally 1+2 or how much of each component was added. There is a bit of modifying to the brightness of sun light (row 1) at dawn but it's almost directly r1 + r2.
So knowing that I took some open license sun colour charts, sorted them by sun angle and took some ambient skymaps (averaged to get a single colour) and then I subtracted the ambient from the "sun" so that when implemented in game I would actually get the direct lighting values I was after. 

It's a pain in the ass and I don't envy you Rowdy, this game engine is the clunkiest thing! My alternative is modifying shaders directly through something like VREM (3Dmigoto) which is actually tempting me now. God help me.

I prefer to be really simple and direct because I know from experience that reading about modding through a translator sucks. I know some find this explanation dumb but the only reason I can make maps is because of stuff posted in the Russian il2/rof forum and on old sukhoi.ru wayback archives. Some of those posts were practically impossible to figure out using multiple machine translators. Simple and direct may come across as rude but it translates well - and there are quite a few ESL modders for this game.

I was out of hand with the dick part so I retracted that. But I'll never apologize for my comments about this new forum software.

BTW if you're using photoshop look up blending modes. Its really easy with subtract. Altering shaders is fun but its filled with even more wtfs than normal modding, and updates break everything half the time.

Edited by LizLemon
  • Like 2
peregrine7
13 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

I prefer to be really simple and direct because I know from experience that reading about modding through a translator sucks. I know some find this explanation dumb but the only reason I can make maps is because of stuff posted in the Russian il2/rof forum and on old sukhoi.ru wayback archives. Some of those posts were practically impossible to figure out using multiple machine translators. Simple and direct may come across as rude but it translates well - and there are quite a few ESL modders for this game.

I was out of hand with the dick part so I retracted that. But I'll never apologize for my comments about this new forum software.

BTW if you're using photoshop look up blending modes. Its really easy with subtract. Altering shaders is fun but its filled with even more wtfs than normal modding, and updates break everything half the time.

I appreciate that Liz, thanks. Sometimes your tone crosses a bit of a line from "direct" to "rude". But I'm not particularly bothered by it myself, your information and mods are invaluable.

I'm using gimp, and yeah I have been using subtract. Without it I'd have given up already! 

Rowdy, always keen to see what you come up with next. Your work on this is inspirational and very, very cool.

Picchio

Sorry for the odd question, but could this mod be used in VR with only new cloud formations and without color modifications?

rowdyb00t
8 minutes ago, Picchio said:

Sorry for the odd question, but could this mod be used in VR with only new cloud formations and without color modifications?

Yes But it would be a ton of work. All the clouds and haze color adjustments would need to be redone. If I get some time I’ll make a file that does this. 

rowdyb00t
Posted (edited)

2021_3_15__4_14_45.thumb.png.9cbf15b1a4899c73a4260973f8f0f61b.png2021_3_15__4_17_7.thumb.png.e1455e4b5a06afeafd13ccbdcc29f6a7.png

I’m not really sure where to go here with the mod. The lighting looks nice like a painting but it isn’t looking good on the terrain or in the cockpit, ect.  I myself don’t mind the sacrifice for the way it renders on clouds but for some it’s a bit much. I understand this, as @LizLemon and @peregrine7 point out, my light.bmp’s are messy. The skydomes are quite exaggerated as well. To be honest, I don’t really want to change these much, other than try to clean up some of the mistakes. If there was a way that I could separate the cirrus lighting from the ambient it would look much better. 
   I would definitely like to see Liz’s version of the sky, lighting and clouds. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 4
tbauchot
14 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

The lighting looks nice like a painting but it isn’t looking good on the terrain or in the cockpit, ect.

What exactly do you mean by this ?

The light atmosphere is too colorful on the ground, in the cockpit, and that doesn't seem natural to you ?

Do you have any pictures ?

Note that I really like the rendering of the second image !

It would be unfortunate to throw this in the trash ! 😉

And this is really grandiose ! above all, please continue on this path !

😃

• Like 1
rowdyb00t
40 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

What exactly do you mean by this ?

The light atmosphere is too colorful on the ground, in the cockpit, and that doesn't seem natural to you ?

Do you have any pictures ?

Note that I really like the rendering of the second image !

It would be unfortunate to throw this in the trash ! 😉

And this is really grandiose ! above all, please continue on this path !

😃

The light used to color the cirrus clouds also colors everything else. So it’s very orange or pink on the terrain and objects. I can live with it though. I done this before in previous versions but it was not liked to much. Don’t worry though I’m not going to scrap this mod :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Beebop
17 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

I done this before in previous versions but it was not liked to much.

We'll get over it. 😉

John Lydgate once said,  “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.  I daresay you have nearly accomplished the impossible as most everyone likes your mod. 

And one reason is you continue to try and make it even better.  A lesser man would have sat back on his laurels long ago.

• Like 2
itsbillyfrazier

I'm glad you remain committed Rowdy, it would be a real shame to shelve it now.

I have certainly enjoyed following this mods progress and look forward to checking out the improvements you make along the way.

Your clouds and lighting effects have created plenty of "wow" moments in the sim (as evidenced by the many cool screenshots throughout the forum).

In my experience, the mod looks and works great ~80% of the time.

There are occasions when I feel the lighting to be too dark or the haze effect to be overdone. Especially so when playing through certain missions (IME, usually the mod struggles to recreate low light/foggy scenarios created by mission makers. I just revert to stock in these circumstances).

Unfortunately I don't have any technical know-how to help you improve these issues. It certainly seems a complex and painstaking process to get it all working right. For this alone, I strongly agree with Beebop's final point in his post above. 

Anyway, keep up the good work Rowdy.  Who knows if you will ever get the mod to where you want it/we want it? 

But at least you are trying and sharing your experience with us, so for this,  I'm grateful.

All the best.

Billy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Mysticpuma

Rowdy. Can I just check, the 3D cloud mod can be used with cumulonimbus?

rowdyb00t
9 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Rowdy. Can I just check, the 3D cloud mod can be used with cumulonimbus?

Yes

• Like 1
Thorne

HOT DIGGITY! VR 2 Clouds is a game changer and has not performance loss as far as I can tell. Thank you, @rowdyb00t so very much, for doing this on your own time. Are the dev's going to make this official so we can have awesome clouds in multiplayer? They should.

Edited by mrtanqueray
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)