[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

2 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

AND Winter...

ORIGINALLY

ENHANCED

Tested it some and not much of a performance difference.

Hi Rowdyb00t, it looks nice, and overall I would say it's an improvement, but sometimes it's a bit too much and it just looks like floof. I highlighted the bit where I liked it least. Overall it looks to me to work better with heavy clouds than very light clouds.

afbeelding.thumb.png.67a43048c837da5f57116d4fccc47d72.png

• Confused 1
16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

You guys got me rethinking the clouds. Problem is that it may impact FPS some, but I haven't tested this yet. I can add detail and reduce the noise. They are kinda the same though in terms of how "detailed" the clouds look. I'll have to find a good balance. Probably going to take a while. I'm adjusting the contrast and sharpness as well, making a more fluffy appearance. Here's an example.

Thank you very much for your research in the constant improvement of your work, in order to offer us the best !

I think that you are on a very good track !

However, do not forget to save time for your privacy, we have time to wait, because your results are very convincing now !

In any case, I really like the rendering of your "3D overcast", It's very successful !

1000.jpg

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting result after the last update.  As usual I disable all mods prior to updating then run the game to check for any glitches etc.  after this update the gtaphics seem crisper and richer.  I installed v14 greysky and there was a definite yellow cast to everything.  Thinking maybe it was the version I tried v13 and v12 greysky all with the same result.

Did they change the skydome with this update or something?

I never felt the need to use the Gpreset before but is there something there I could change to reduce the yellow cast?

I HAVE to use this mod because the stock clouds are still for (expletive deleted.)

17 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Interesting result after the last update.  As usual I disable all mods prior to updating then run the game to check for any glitches etc.  after this update the gtaphics seem crisper and richer.  I installed v14 greysky and there was a definite yellow cast to everything.  Thinking maybe it was the version I tried v13 and v12 greysky all with the same result.

Did they change the skydome with this update or something?

I never felt the need to use the Gpreset before but is there something there I could change to reduce the yellow cast?

I HAVE to use this mod because the stock clouds are still for (expletive deleted.)

I haven’t noticed anything different with the mod. 

Here's what I'm seeing:

QMB:

Veki Luki Summer
Noon
Clear
Clouds 3000m

Screens are unretouched except for sizing.

I would like the color more like the "Stock" shot

First is with no mod, second with..

NO MOD.jpg

v14_greysky.jpg

Edited by Beebop

@Beebop

Looks fine to me and nothing has changed. Hmmm.... Possibly you didn't realize the major overhaul in the lighting? Or maybe check your saturation as @No457_Stonehouse

has pointed out in your gpresets. Did you edit this line before? I have mine set to 0.80. 

STOCK

1037255160_Screenshot(87).thumb.png.090cfca90c426ff8e1cfbe62fd038dca.png

VERSION 14

2128482468_Screenshot(88).thumb.png.8e5ef4616e218ab86a3545fb9246cb79.png

STOCK

1348690546_Screenshot(90).thumb.png.bf34441ffdcf91c22939d0990bc29c0f.png

VERSION 14

1518844482_Screenshot(89).thumb.png.41c4885ab677d91d347c7162badafba6.png

I really don’t like the Stock lighting, it’s like having on blue sunglasses. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Upvote 1

Changing the saturation to .80 really helped.  It had been at 1.05.

I also had "plasticy" clouds until I realized I had both Cumulonimbus and Cumulonimbus2 installed.  Took out Cumulonimbus and the clouds look fine now.

Not saying that's whats happening for anyone else, just sharing my experience.

So I’ve figured out that when I increase the detail, I have to bump up the gpreset to 96 samples. If I leave it at 64, the clouds shimmer and dance all over the place. This is really frustrating because it causes a performance hit. I’m kinda at a crossroad here. Do I leave them alone or increase the detail and have everyone have a min of 96 samples? I dunno. It would be great if I didn’t have to mess with the gpreset anymore and leave it stock. 
   I’ll keep trying though, no such thing as can’t,  it’s can’t hardly :biggrin:

• Like 2

Hmmm, must it be precisely 96 or better? It's ironic that I see this post as I have been doing some empirical testing (as best I can anyway) with different sample settings this evening. I have been looking at its impact on fps and boiling in particular on my system. There is most definitely a correlation. I personally don't like 128 as it hits my fps too much and went to look at 96 - which was much better (and eliminated pretty much any boiling for me). I started experimenting with other numbers (can I go lower and pick up fps while still almost eliminating boiling?) - long story short, it's looking like for me, 84 is the sweet spot (though 80 was also a nice improvement over stock 64 as well). I am going to assume that this will likely be system specific for people (though people may want to experiment and see the impact different cloud_sample sizes has on them).

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

I personally don't like 128 as it hits my fps too much and went to look at 96 - which was much better (and eliminated pretty much any boiling for me).

Same observation for me, thank you very much for your investigations !

But let's wait with hope for this development which seems to be very promising ! 😀

=>

You guys got me rethinking the clouds. Problem is that it may impact FPS some, but I haven't tested this yet. I can add detail and reduce the noise. They are kinda the same though in terms of how "detailed" the clouds look. I'll have to find a good balance. Probably going to take a while. I'm adjusting the contrast and sharpness as well, making a more fluffy appearance. Here's an example.

22 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

I'm adjusting the contrast and sharpness as well, making a more fluffy appearance. Here's an example.

Interesting screenshot.  Those are really transparent clouds!  😁

(just kidding.  i'm sure the screenshot is forthcoming)

• Haha 1
On 2/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, rowdyb00t said:

@Beebop

Looks fine to me and nothing has changed. Hmmm.... Possibly you didn't realize the major overhaul in the lighting? Or maybe check your saturation as @No457_Stonehouse

has pointed out in your gpresets. Did you edit this line before? I have mine set to 0.80. 

STOCK

1037255160_Screenshot(87).thumb.png.090cfca90c426ff8e1cfbe62fd038dca.png

VERSION 14

2128482468_Screenshot(88).thumb.png.8e5ef4616e218ab86a3545fb9246cb79.png

STOCK

1348690546_Screenshot(90).thumb.png.bf34441ffdcf91c22939d0990bc29c0f.png

VERSION 14

1518844482_Screenshot(89).thumb.png.41c4885ab677d91d347c7162badafba6.png

I really don’t like the Stock lighting, it’s like having on blue sunglasses. 

I hope they change the light, the blue tone give me cancer to my eyes.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I hope they change the light, the blue tone give me cancer to my eyes.

Yup. The lighting needs some work it wouldn’t take to much effort. I’m looking forward to a possible rework of the atmosphere. Hopefully someday :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I posted this a while back but the difference between stock and modded is astounding. The colour palette they currently you use is just very wrong to my eyes. 

Stock on the left, modded (with Kuban Desert mod) on the right. 

Screenshot_20210219-080100_YouTube.thumb.jpg.f585ea853f8cbf13dfb4232a97fde8e0.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've tested the 3D overcast and cumolonimbus2 settings in several missions now and I got mostly great looking results. But my PC wasn't able to handle it in CPU heavy SP missions (like in PWCG) on a 4K monitor anymore. FPS were still good but I got this 'flashy' and laggy view you couldn't properly play with.

No problem! Back to the normal overcast and clouds and everything is fine again. 🙂

One time I got this 'uber-fluffy' clouds. (in 3d overc. and cumo2)

fluf.thumb.jpg.b608beddd0de35d4e2eb4781c2469461.jpgfluf5.thumb.jpg.9f9f48ca97bdf7fd1b930c629fae92d5.jpgfluf6.thumb.jpg.1e4d119ed5e995487434d39de95d95c6.jpg

2 hours ago, vonGraf said:

One time I got this 'uber-fluffy' clouds.

I believe that’s from the cloud thickness being set to minimum. Was that in QMB?

I think I need to raise the minimum up higher. I will be working on redoing all the cumulonimbus for the heavy preset soon ;)

On 2/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, rowdyb00t said:

I believe that’s from the cloud thickness being set to minimum. Was that in QMB?

I think I need to raise the minimum up higher. I will be working on redoing all the cumulonimbus for the heavy preset soon ;)

It's happened one time in a SP mission from a collection I downloaded here.

My own settings are 'balanced' in the game's presets (but with 96 samples) and 'high' for the clouds in general.

Edited by vonGraf
9 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

I posted this a while back but the difference between stock and modded is astounding. The colour palette they currently you use is just very wrong to my eyes. 

Stock on the left, modded (with Kuban Desert mod) on the right. 

Screenshot_20210219-080100_YouTube.thumb.jpg.f585ea853f8cbf13dfb4232a97fde8e0.jpg

Much more realistic, I don't know why they haven't changed that yet, one of the main reasons I don't play il2 anymore

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Beebop said:

Interesting screenshot.  Those are really transparent clouds!  😁

(just kidding.  i'm sure the screenshot is forthcoming)

Ah, ah, ah,  😄 It was just a reference to what rowdyb00t had posted Wednesday at 03:51 AM (with very promising screenshots),

and that I wait to test with happiness !

I really am a novice ! I don't really know how to quote several posts from different pages ! 😇 

I hope I won't be banned ! 😅  🙄

16 minutes ago, JG_deserteagle540 said:

I need some help please.

Could somebody upload the vanilla gpresets.cfg files here so it can be downloaded please?

Remove it to get the stock preset. If you would like to edit it, simply change the cloud samples back to 64. The only thing I changed in the gpreset was the cloud samples. 

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Dornil said:

Is there a version that would change the clouds only, without any lighting changes?

Alternatively, does anyone still have a Cumulonimbus addon for CloudsV9.1revised2 ?

No there is not. 

The cumulonimbus should work with v9.1r2. If not it will work with the newer VR version. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

The cumulonimbus should work with v9.1r2

It seems to work with it, but it looks somewhat different than before... Or, perhaps, it's just my imagination.

7 hours ago, Dornil said:

It seems to work with it, but it looks somewhat different than before... Or, perhaps, it's just my imagination.

I plan on reworking the cumulonimbus soon. 
 Also I’ve been working on the cloud detail and some of the winter skydomes. Some of them seemed a bit over saturated. I’ll post some pics or vid later. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 2

Still have a ways to go. I'm working on the cloud detail on all of the summer and winter clouds. Tweaking things here and there. Pretty much working on all parts. Here is a couple pics.

2021_2_23__5_39_19.thumb.png.4a5d6c6293d2037def7d397ab083278c.png

2021_2_23__5_29_39.thumb.png.f2dfcafe59c18b088d134072d3d27443.png

I’m really trying to get to the end goal of getting it perfect lol. I figure if I can do that I can be finished. Maybe I’m a bit optimistic but I think it’s close to achievable. The biggest thing is trying to get the right amount of detail while having the right FPS. As of now, some of the heavy and overcast clouds are just a little bit more taxing. On the monitor I have no frame drops but in VR it’s noticeable ( I don’t use the VR version ).  I also have a beefy system but it’s hard not to be in VR in IL2. After I finish V15, I still got to do the VR version. Adding the tweaked skydomes and adjusting the clouds a bit. 
  Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is, it will be a month or so. Hang in there though, it will be worth it :biggrin:. I’ll keep ya’s posted. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 1

I’m really trying to get to the end goal of getting it perfect lol. I figure if I can do that I can be finished. Maybe I’m a bit optimistic but I think it’s close to achievable.

If anyone can, you can.

But not to worry.  you won't be out of a job.  There's always something left to tweak, something that can be just a tad better.  Something that no one but you will notice and it will drive you batty until you fix it. 

Then there will come an update, one that breaks everything or some things or just the mod you like, but it is coming.  History has shown us that.

OR.....

The Dev's will contact you about adding your cloud mod into the stock game...(cue John Lennons Imagine here)....

I’m really trying to get to the end goal of getting it perfect lol. I figure if I can do that I can be finished. Maybe I’m a bit optimistic but I think it’s close to achievable. 

Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is, it will be a month or so. Hang in there though, it will be worth it :biggrin:. I’ll keep ya’s posted. 

Trust me Rowdy... you'll not be finished... I've been unduly busy for the last year or so and not had chance to fire up IL-2 or work on my own enviro-mods where I know I am at least two or three installs behind the devs latest update. Consequently I'm sure I'll find things have changed (I know there is some sort of new haze options I'll have to look through). However in the odd moments I've been able to check in on this forum/thread it has been interesting to watch you progress through more or less the same route I'd taken ... I started back in 2014 when this was still ROF and on that basis I'd say you are just getting warmed up...  

HH

7 hours ago, HappyHaddock said:

Trust me Rowdy... you'll not be finished... I've been unduly busy for the last year or so and not had chance to fire up IL-2 or work on my own enviro-mods where I know I am at least two or three installs behind the devs latest update. Consequently I'm sure I'll find things have changed (I know there is some sort of new haze options I'll have to look through). However in the odd moments I've been able to check in on this forum/thread it has been interesting to watch you progress through more or less the same route I'd taken ... I started back in 2014 when this was still ROF and on that basis I'd say you are just getting warmed up...  

HH

Hello there HH!

Its good to hear from you, been a while. Hope everything’s going good your way. I’ve been wondering about your WIP and been missing the pics for quite some time now.;) 
  As for the updates, the only thing that has effected the mod was the Haze update. You’ll have to add the new lines in the ski.ini files. It’s fairly simple. It will work without it though. Now, getting on to the never get done part of this, I must say you are correct but as little changing to the sky file that goes on, I’m at least hoping for a good release that won’t need adjusting for a while :biggrin:. I suppose I’m dreaming when I want to say “ Viola! ” here it is ALL DONE! Funny thing is that I always find something that bothers me. Sometimes I just want to play and not see something I need to fix lol. Thanks again for the kind words!

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Still have a ways to go. I'm working on the cloud detail on all of the summer and winter clouds. Tweaking things here and there. Pretty much working on all parts. Here is a couple pics.

Thank you very much, I am sure you will do an artist’s work !

I really wish you good times of discovery, in the sky, above your .ini files ! 😀

• Thanks 1

Following this with interest.  You've come such a long way on this mod, wow man. 

One thing, however, that I have not seen for any cloud or weather-related mod, in any game across any genre I've seen, even from developers, is what clouds actually are, why they form the way they do, and incorporating that knowledge in to the sculpting of what they look like in game.  

To really bring out the final, perfect, touch, incorporating form and flow in to the clouds is necessary.  This is true even with a still-life painting.  Painting a beautiful cloud that's it's own little puff of good contrast and blending will not render such a riveting realism, as painting a cloud that has movement, that has context with the clouds around it.  

No cloud formation, save fair-weather cumulus clouds after a front has passed, is ever really so randomly dispersed or shaped.  It all has patterns, has logical shape and texture.  Clouds are various clines that are boiling, condensing and, most importantly, moving. through other clines.  Bottoms of clouds tend to be flatter when a pocket of air pushes against a denser mass of air beneath it.  Clouds loft, because up is the less-dense way for expanding air to go.  Stratus and cirrus clouds layer because of the density of air in the cline they are sandwiched between and the mixture happening between those two clines.  Fronts have sections that correspond to how the air is exchanged as one collides with the other, and the formations of stacks and layers, patterning and texture, are formulaic.   

The final, perfect cloud mod, for any game, will be the first one that can have the clouds actually mimic real formations, not because someone imitated a section of sky they saw once, but because the sculptor understood what was happening in the sky, and created the clouds to mimic that.  

Impressive work so far, and cheers to your lofty goal!

Edited by ShipsBosun

Maybe by using the super computers and the servers of "Météo France" and "NASA" it would be possible to play with skies modeled in real time, but for the moment we are on an air combat simulator and not on a weather simulator ! So you have to know how to make concessions ... and in this sense, I thank rowdyb00t for his research of very high quality. 😀

@tbauchot,

True.  But it would be nice if it were possible to have;

A. Different weather in different parts of a map.

B. Moving weather fronts.

For the next DLC how about "IL-2 Battle of Clouds"? 

Things not needed;

* New flyable planes.

* New cockpits.

* New AI routines.

* New maps.  (well, we really could use these anyway) 

New features:

* Wind shear

* Forest fires caused by lightning strikes

* Tornado and High Wind damage

* Umbrellas now modeled in all cockpits

Until then we have Rowdy's impressive Realistic Clouds!

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, SJ_Butcher said:

Much more realistic, I don't know why they haven't changed that yet, one of the main reasons I don't play il2 anymore

I agree with you. The stock lighting looks cartoonish and unnatural, specially compared to DCS and MSFS.

• Like 2
  • rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)