[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

18 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Exceptional and if I could choose that as my only option that would be me happy instead of multiple missions never seeing this greatness :(

That’s just the overcast I’m working on. I’m trying to make all the overcast 3D with precip. Lots to do though. Those videos were just teasers. I have to adjust the lighting and perhaps make a couple new skydomes. The clouds need to be tweaked more. Notice how the light was coming through the cloud layer. The biggest issue with building these is the 14Km draw distance on the clouds. With enough adjustments though I believe I can prevail :biggrin:

10 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Very beautiful work again!

I flew only some missions in winter at Stalingrad in a scripted campaign until now but could already see great lighting in the early morning. I like the now toned down dark winter clouds too because I got sometimes jagged edges on them in the distance due to the high contrast to the surrounding white clouds. It's totally gone now.

Don't forget to add rowdyboots 'better rain' tweak to your mods/clouds; I didn't think of it first and got the 'meteors' again.

Vielen Dank!

Stalin2.thumb.jpg.311aff0588b6cfeadecae21fa7eaef9b.jpgStalin3.thumb.jpg.b09180c3380e46ff99685c219d5751b5.jpgStalin.thumb.jpg.9acc3cf1610c5baf847a6864673710f4.jpg

• Like 1

Dear rowdyb00t,

What a wonderful work !
Definitively adopted, absolutely marvellous !
I see that you have upgraded the Cirrus resolution too.
well done !
Just a little question : what improvement have the 2K cloud maps.
Is it in visual effects ?

And to finish, to thank you, here is a small pictorial tribute:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tbauchot said:

what improvement have the 2K cloud maps.
Is it in visual effects ?

The Original cloud maps are 512x512, I remade some that are 2048x2048. However, I didn't realize the game will only display the maps at 512. I left them as a download because they seem to be better looking but this may be a placebo.

2017861451_Screenshot(65).thumb.png.dfae328eb62c72e2187d847a8e3e7bee.png1185676616_Screenshot(66).thumb.png.b7a51f8f2f10e4e1d9a653f8f0d66332.png

INGAME:

105525273_Screenshot(123).thumb.png.d4dac706aa217329721660081b908e3b.png

1384718070_Screenshot(124).thumb.png.a81757e4543bf1cdddc802472a45da80.png

95030245_Screenshot(125).thumb.png.743601470f1072cf04f4e048df33c79b.png

So.. you can be the judge. Maybe one day the Developers will be able to use larger tiles in the game for these maps, cirrus, lighting and skydomes. I've made a few of these things larger just for the blending purposes. Anyway thanks, the pictures are nice :salute:

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

So.. you can be the judge. Maybe one day the Developers will be able to use larger tiles in the game for these maps, cirrus, lighting and skydomes. I've made a few of these things larger just for the blending purposes. Anyway thanks, the pictures are nice 

Thank you very much for these explanations. If there are really differences, they are probably very subtle !

So for now i will stay with the 512 configuration. 😉

About the pictures some informations :

stock game cloudsamples. (in order to save fps.)

CloudConfig = "summer\03_Heavy_08\sky.ini";

Time = 16:50:0;

Date = 8.3.1945;

LANDSCAPE_Rheinland_sp

8 planes per side + groud objects, AAA, etc...

Graphic Cloud settings  : high (  Extreme reduce cloud size and drastically reduces fps.)

Over settings : I7-2600K @ 3.4 Ghz - 16 Go Ram - Nvidia GTX 970 4GB GDDR5/256bit.

1.jpg

IL-2 GB Nvidia 1.JPG

IL-2 GB Nvidia 2.JPG

5 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

Thank you very much for these explanations. If there are really differences, they are probably very subtle !

So for now i will stay with the 512 configuration. 😉

About the pictures some informations :

stock game cloudsamples. (in order to save fps.)

CloudConfig = "summer\03_Heavy_08\sky.ini";

Time = 16:50:0;

Date = 8.3.1945;

LANDSCAPE_Rheinland_sp

8 planes per side + groud objects, AAA, etc...

Graphic Cloud settings  : high (  Extreme reduce cloud size and drastically reduces fps.)

Over settings : I7-2600K @ 3.4 Ghz - 16 Go Ram - Nvidia GTX 970 4GB GDDR5/256bit.

1.jpg

IL-2 GB Nvidia 1.JPG

IL-2 GB Nvidia 2.JPG

Salut,

avec ta configuration NVidia/IL2GB tu massacres carrément la performance de ton système?!?

1 minute ago, THERION said:

avec ta configuration NVidia/IL2GB tu massacres carrément la performance de ton système?!?

Bonsoir,

qu'entends tu par la exactement ??? 😀

@  tbauchot,

Are you the same tbauchot who made all these nice skydomes for good old modded IL2-1946?

Your skydomes added really something to the game. Just like rowdyb00t does here. :good:

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

@  tbauchot,

Are you the same tbauchot who made all these nice skydomes for good old modded IL2-1946?

Your skydomes added really something to the game. Just like rowdyb00t does here. :good:

Yes I am , and I am very happy to see you again here ! 😀

The game has evolved really well since "1946" and I discover it with a lot of enthusiasm ! 👍

Spoiler
Spoiler

😁  @ tbauchot,  love your "Reveal Hidden Contents" that reveals "Reveal Hidden Contents" that reveals nothing.

Ex DSRD? 😅

Seriously, thanks for all your contributions to this game and the original IL-2 1936.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Beebop said:

😁  @ tbauchot,  love your "Reveal Hidden Contents" that reveals "Reveal Hidden Contents" that reveals nothing.

Ex DSRD? 😅

😄 I activated the eye icon 2 times in a row without knowing how to deactivate it !

I am really a beginner ! 🤣

however, thank you very much for your gratitude. It touches me enormously ! 😀

But what is the original IL-2 1936. A new old version of the game  ?  😅

I wish you the best and I remain at your disposal ! 🙂

8 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

But what is the original IL-2 1936...?

A typo.  I make a lot of them these days.

(before I was typo i was type A, then B, both positive AND negative.  This from the same doctor that once asked me if my eyes had ever been checked and I told him "No, they've always been brown.")

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Is this a replacement/improvement for the original Cumulonimbus clouds?

A harbinger of things to come?

I  made all the ten presets have duplicates and/or triplicates of the three cumulonimbus files. This will make it so that when you select heavy in the weather preset in QMB, you will always get CN Clouds ;) .

Eventually I will make all the sky.ini files in heavy preset, cumulonimbus. Right now though I’m working on the 3D overcast with precip. So far I’m getting good results. I’ll share some more pics/vids tomorrow. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, tbauchot said:

Bonsoir,

qu'entends tu par la exactement ??? 😀

Dans ton NCP (NVidia Control Panel) tu as fait des ajustements qui ne sont pas très avantageux au point de vue de la performance

et en plus n'ont aucune influence sur le jeux. Il est donc préférable de laisser tout en standard, sauf la gestion d'alimentation.

L'anticrénelage, tu l'ajuste dans le jeux - p.ex. FXAA 4X ou alors MSAA 2X pour ne pas trop forcer la carte graphique (j'ai la même que toi)

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
13 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I've updated the OP with these as well. Cumulonimbus for all Heavy weather presets. There are only 3 types still but I plan to add the rest of the 7 sometime in the future. 

I had never tested the cumuloninbus.

The result is really very immersive ! 🤩

Thank you very much for this remarkable work !

However, these big clouds are very greedy, in reality as in the game !

They can suck you in, or consume a lot of fps, but it's still very playable ! 😀

Tributes for you below :

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

111.jpg

• Like 3

I should have the new type of overcast done today or at least the first version :P. I think I'm not going to incorporate it into the main mod. I'll have it JSGME ready so when you feel like HUGE 3D overcast with rain/snow you can have it.

651041880_Screenshot(68).thumb.png.ddaf3654bbb64dd197331c04f45a3243.png

870950751_Screenshot(69).thumb.png.437f9467ccc2730569eff252fe6ce2d2.png

514156003_Screenshot(72).thumb.png.017ba26d11279a679b9e816ccbb13a0b.png

1446167460_Screenshot(70).thumb.png.706fee6c5609546d7857c11d4c7ed623.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice work! ✔️

I like the idea of making it a JSGME add-on.

Did you  use an odd numbered presets for those screens?  They seem awfully hazy.  Not that they don't look spectacular but I also like those cloud/weather conditions with a fairly clear atmosphere, that is without as heavy a haze.

14 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Nice work! ✔️

I like the idea of making it a JSGME add-on.

Did you  use an odd numbered presets for those screens?  They seem awfully hazy.  Not that they don't look spectacular but I also like those cloud/weather conditions with a fairly clear atmosphere, that is without as heavy a haze.

Well I pretty much made all the presets with this type of overcast. Problem with the haze is it has to be there. The reason is that, when you make these 3 dimensional clouds on the “overcast” preset, you have to give the clouds a 14Km diameter needing the haze to hide the end of it.  Everything outside of that is not drawn. So it looks like a Giant spaceship from 6Km high. The only way to fix this would be for the Devs to extend the fogRange in the overcast ini files. 

@G_GART explains this very well on page 16 https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53511-mod-realistic-clouds-updated-2-4-2021/page/16/#

Edited by rowdyb00t

OH.  I see.  Expecting the Dev's to modify their game for a "mod" is not very likely.  But, if they would just incorporate your mod into the stock game....

I think they should and so do a lot of others I suspect.

4 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

it looks like a Giant spaceship from 6Km high

Now THERE'S a mission idea!!! 🤣  You could call it the "Foo Fighters Add-On".  😅

• Haha 1

Ok so here’s a video in the summer with rain. Still have some work to do. I’m not satisfied with some of the results. It would be SOOOOOOO much easier if I could increase the draw distance of the clouds. In order to make them look right I have to make the clouds gigantic and use lots of haze 😑 .  
   Oh well, I’ll keep messing with them until I get the desired results. 

• Like 5
  • rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 2-9-2021)

I updated the first post with the 3D overcast. Its far from perfect. Some input and opinions are welcome. Most of the overcast is above 4Km high. So anywhere between that and your cloud height may be a bit hard to see through :biggrin:. The OP has install directions and notes at the bottom of the page.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b6czxyxkqb1lr6h/3D_Overcast.zip/file

Oh yeah, I also added the “better rain” to this.

FIXED LINK

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 5
5 hours ago, sammydee said:

Looking at page 1 I'm just a little confused. What should I install exactly to get the best out of this great mod?

4 hours ago, PA_Willy said:

+1

1.  Install only one of these ( v14, v14 greysky, CloudsVR, CloudsVR greysky )

2. Optional but recommended ( gpreset )

3. Optional ( 2K maps, Cumulonimbus, Cumulonimbus2 )

4. Optional ( 3D overcast )

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

I updated the first post with the 3D overcast. Its far from perfect. Some input and opinions are welcome. Most of the overcast is above 4Km high. So anywhere between that and your cloud height may be a bit hard to see through :biggrin:. The OP has install directions and notes at the bottom of the page.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kl0sdrqugmapqat/3D_Overcast.zip/file

Hum, hum ! 🙄 😅

Oups.jpg

5 minutes ago, tbauchot said:

Hum, hum ! 🙄 😅

Oups.jpg

Ah ha!!! I forgot to add the couple new cloud maps to the overcast!!! Thanks!

I’ll update the download after while

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1

The 3D Overcast isn't downloading for me for whatever reason. For the first time ever, Mediafire just snaps back with some random offer but doesn't download anything. Noticed that it is saying "Turbo Download" on the blue button (not sure I've seen this before or if it was only a simple "Download"). Maybe this "turbo" link requires an account? Any other sources? 

Edited by jokerBR
13 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

The 3D Overcast isn't downloading for me for whatever reason. For the first time ever, Mediafire just snaps back with some random offer but doesn't download anything. Noticed that it is saying "Turbo Download" on the blue button (not sure I've seen this before or if it was only a simple "Download"). Meybe this "turbo" link requires an account? Any other sources? 

Hey Joker, right click and open download link in new tab seems to work. I dunno whats goin on.

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1

Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar. I've updated my screen lately to a 2K monitor and been finding with clouds set to high in game and cloud_quality set to 2 that the clouds look very much like cloud setting extreme with that sort of slightly painted on, plastic toffee look. I ended up dropping the in game cloud setting to medium as well as gpreset value to 1 and they immediately looked much better and closer to the real thing.

Looking at some notes I had on gpreset values I came across the comment:

For reference here are the cloud_quality settings

2= half screen res 
1= 1/4 screen res 
0= 1/8 screen res 
-1=1/16 screen res  

To get the best look the recommendation used to be use High clouds, however it seems to be possibly a mix of the game setting and gpreset setting and so I guess my questions are:

• Does anyone have any insight into how the two interact?
  • What is the difference between the different in game settings? Is it different resolutions and essentially my problem is that I see the higher of gpreset and in game setting (ie cloud quality =2 is same as extreme) or does the in game setting change something else eg like which cloud texture loads?
  • Anyone tried fiddling with different combo's and do they have any feedback about their results?

Thanks

Edited by No457_Stonehouse
1 hour ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar. I've updated my screen lately to a 2K monitor and been finding with clouds set to high in game and cloud_quality set to 2 that the clouds look very much like cloud setting extreme with that sort of slightly painted on, plastic toffee look. I ended up dropping the in game cloud setting to medium and they immediately looked much better and closer to the real thing.

Looking at some notes I had on gpreset values I came across the comment:

For reference here are the cloud_quality settings

2= half screen res 
1= 1/4 screen res 
0= 1/8 screen res 
-1=1/16 screen res  

To get the best look the recommendation used to be use High clouds, however it seems to be possibly a mix of the game setting and gpreset setting and so I guess my questions are:

• Does anyone have any insight into how the two interact?
  • What is the difference between the different in game settings? Is it different resolutions and essentially my problem is that I see the higher of gpreset and in game setting (ie cloud quality =2 is same as extreme) or does the in game setting change something else eg like which cloud texture loads?
  • Anyone tried fiddling with different combo's and do they have any feedback about their results?

Thanks

So the cloud quality is preset for the graphic settings i.e

Low:               cloud_quality 1

Balanced:      cloud_quality 1

High:              cloud_quality 2

Ultra:              cloud_quality 2

The selections for clouds in game go to the startup.cfg. i.e

max_cloud_quality 2 ( this is for High )

And lastly you have cloudsamples in the gpreset.cfg file. Previously the were set to 128 but now since the extreme cloud update, it has been revised to 64 samples. I believe this was for performance reasons. 
   So these are the three main settings for adjusting the cloud quality. Possibly, I’ve never tried this, you could adjust the cloud_quality in the preset file to 3 for 3/4 res and 4 for full res. Not sure if this is possible though. I found while creating this mod that the preset to 1/2 or “2” and the cloud quality setting to High was a good balance for FPS. Also having the cloud samples to 128. Of course the cloud samples could be lessened or strengthened for your own preference 64, 96, 256, 512 ect. ect. 

Hope this helps :salute:

EDIT: changing the cloud_quality to 3 or 4 does nothing

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1

I too have a 2K screen but don't use the Gpresets as the clouds look fine to me. 

My cloud quality is "High" with 'Ultra' settings.  Startup.cfg though reads; max_clouds_quality = 2

Are you using FXAA or MSAA?  I use MSAA with my RX590 and Ryzen 1700 CPU.

Is your card using any enhancements?  I let the game handle all that.  Some of my Raedeon settings really messed up the games graphics like Sharpening, AA and AF.  (anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering).

Are you using any ingame sharpening?  Landscape filer in left column, Sharpen in right column.)?

Hmmm thanks for both replies. I think some but not all of it is reshade doing a little sharpening as toggling it off does improve things slightly. However I also notice that in my startup.cfg (which I hadn't looked at) it has max_cloud_quality = 3 even though I have ultra plus high clouds in the in game setting. Odd that it doesn't match the in game setting as I understand it should from what you guys are saying.

In game using MSAA, I'll have to go and check the nvidia settings in case they are having a fight over the choice. Settings attached.1210147434_Il-22021-02-1117-38-34.thumb.jpg.fd475c39443c06cb2a14d28a81c1b2ba.jpg

Edited by No457_Stonehouse

Still experimenting but seems to be improving. Reshade was only marginally responsible - the sharpening was exacerbating the issue but wasn't really the cause. I ended up manually changing the value in startup.cfg as it didn't seem to change otherwise. However the thing that seemed to improve it the most was changing away from msaa and reworking my settings outside in nvidia. Hopefully a few more tweaks and I'll start to see things look like Rowdy's pics.

11 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Still experimenting but seems to be improving. Reshade was only marginally responsible - the sharpening was exacerbating the issue but wasn't really the cause. I ended up manually changing the value in startup.cfg as it didn't seem to change otherwise. However the thing that seemed to improve it the most was changing away from msaa and reworking my settings outside in nvidia. Hopefully a few more tweaks and I'll start to see things look like Rowdy's pics.

I’d recommend the Dynamic Res factor to full. This will help the clouds. I’m a little confused though, are you using the mod or trying to make the vanilla better with tweaking graphic settings? I tried a few things yesterday for performance and found that setting the cloud quality to med gains major FPS in VR with the mod. The quality difference was not that noticeable. 

• rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)