[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

itsbillyfrazier

@rowdyb00t

Lol- well then, you have probably a better understanding than me who is cooped up inside most of the time! 😄

Funny,  i thought the video may have been closer to mid-day than 8:30am given the suns positioning and brightness level. What season is it out of interest?

I would think at those temps and with wind present, most haze or fog would have been burnt off or blown away. But I reiterate, I'm am no meteorologist and just my humble opinion. Until I test it for myself,  I guess its hard to form a concrete opinion.

Perhaps a wider consensus  is needed or a few weather experts could chime in with their 2 cents....

Anyway, thanks for your hard work on this. I'm looking forward to testing the results.

Edited by itsbillyfrazier
rowdyb00t
9 minutes ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

Funny,  i thought the video may have been closer to mid-day than 8:30am given the suns positioning and brightness level. What season is it out of interest?

Velikie Luki Summer. The sun rises there at like 4:30 or 5 because of its Latitude.

@SCG_motoadve @busdriver

Hello there I was wondering if one of you real pilots had some input on this topic :)  

If you go to page 26 and read through we're discussing haze, fog and other worldly things. Thanks 

• Upvote 1
SCG_motoadve
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

Here’s an example of the new version with the Haze set to max and fog. I did find however, that the fog in the dusk/dawn is only on every other preset. It was always like this but I figured they would have made it for all presets. Do you guys think I should make it available for all?
   I did some adjustments as well. Such as, some of the heavy and overcast weather does have a little haze when no haze is selected. It didn’t make sense to have a crystal clear atmosphere when the atmosphere is thick with moisture. Also I made just a few of the foggy mornings/evenings hang around longer and later. Here’s the vid, I’ll post a winter example later. :salute:

This looks great, the fog, haze, light, and very realistic IMHO, good job, wish I could test the VR clouds, but will be out of the country until mid March.

• Thanks 1
rowdyb00t

Here’s another vid in the winter at Velikie Luki.  This is also with the fog on and Haze to max. It’s much less in the winter settings. 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 3

@rowdyb00t

I think the summer haze and shallow fog/mist look absolutely amazing and probably the most realistic rendition I've ever seen in a flight 'sim'. I've been flying professionally for just over 30 years so have seen plenty of misty and foggy days (and nights) and although the summer video above only shows one set of atmospheric conditions, I think you've absolutely nailed the early/mid morning mist that's burning off as the air temperature rises.  You'd expect to see similar conditions in the late afternoon as the air temp cools again but the mist would obviously be increasing rather than burning off.

Just to add that this is an awesome mod for an already great game and I think the visual impression your clouds give, especially the vertical element when the 'cumulonimbus' effect kicks in, is brilliant and again, the closest I have come to real life in a PC game, or actual flight simulator for that matter! 

Many thanks for the time and effort you expend for our increased enjoyment of this great game.

Regards

• Thanks 1
itsbillyfrazier

Wow, this winter scenario looks great Rowdy.

The clouds look super as well as the lighting.

When are we getting the update so we can test? 😁

rowdyb00t
Just now, itsbillyfrazier said:

Wow, this winter scenario looks great Rowdy.

The clouds look super as well as the lighting.

When are we getting the update so we can test? 😁

I’m hoping I’ll finish up tonight or tomorrow night. I’m almost done with the regular version and getting ready to start on the CloudVR ones. Probably another 3-4 hours of work ;)

• Like 2
JG_deserteagle540

@rowdyb00t

Amazing work that you are doing on the clouds. It just keeps getting better and better.

The cumulonimbus clouds are too heavy for my gpu, so that is a good reason to upgrade my gpu this year to a rtx3080 once they are available and not sold out like last year.

Your clod Mod will be the top favourite for winning the 2021 Mod of the year award! It makes this flight sim a real pearl.

• Thanks 1
Beebop
1 hour ago, JG_deserteagle540 said:

Your clod Mod

Not making fun.  I know it's just a typo.  I make them all the time.

But it made me wonder if you had an insight on to rowdy's next project?  😁

• Haha 2
busdriver
13 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

@SCG_motoadve @busdriver

Hello there I was wondering if one of you real pilots had some input on this topic :)  

If you go to page 26 and read through we're discussing haze, fog and other worldly things. Thanks 

As I mentioned in my PM, I'm following this with great interest. The first set of screenshots are from the winter dawn patrol sorties that presented me with some funky sky colors.

Spoiler

1350100940_Dawnpatrol01.thumb.jpg.ef0f99b9e6fc8e7e4df73823fe71886d.jpg

2027524866_Dawnpatrol02.thumb.jpg.829e8046e56fe42ff18e6362c2d54e03.jpg

1401687346_Dawnpatrol03.thumb.jpg.2b957a77eacfbf4990cd535e9b13ef04.jpg

1026940740_Dawnpatrol06.thumb.jpg.063cace684e93f9884a9efa05215b621.jpg

The following set are from today, another PWCG mission, late afternoon, low overcast with rain, a PWCG minimum haze setting of 4. The first couple are with CloudsV12.1_greysky, Cumulonimbus, and graphic presets installed in that order. General impression is that your mod vastly improves the sense of flying below an overcast. :salute: For some reason I'm flying in the middle of a perfect visibility bubble that's about 7 km in radius. I estimate that size based on when I could see the black smoke from burning towns.

The second set are stock game setting on the same PWCG mission. The stock graphics obviously give no sense of flying below an overcast, it's terrible. But the decrease in horizontal visibility is superior for this particular mission. 

My graphics options

149752725_greyskysettings.thumb.jpg.ba8f074d9a6b8b89012d21196138ff9d.jpg

Spoiler

1344340487_greysky00.thumb.jpg.74b77d4bace7c01215dc8aff0bf6e686.jpg

1158259628_greysky01.thumb.jpg.22b6e8a86f9083a265b0605008e93d85.jpg

1768585272_greysky02.thumb.jpg.4357118a5de0a20ebf9ed1c078d22838.jpg

Same town and the same approximate distance sighting the smoke. From in the cockpit, it was a strain to see.

187652800_greysky03.thumb.jpg.e67260bb11f2ea6a86fb3bc855c02279.jpg

1438274024_greysky04.thumb.jpg.14c38f544191ad2fe68da88bb537df90.jpg

2106047432_greysky05.thumb.jpg.f098446549af75a0496c1abb6853e468.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying your next effort. 

Edited by busdriver
Beebop

Do you have Cumulonimbus clouds enabled?  (separate mod added after enabling your Clouds Mod.)

Your 'Clouds quality' setting is correct for this mod.

Also some clouds layers may not be in the "Atmosphere Settings" chosen by the mission builder.

Edited by Beebop
busdriver
23 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Do you have Cumulonimbus clouds enabled?  (separate mod added after enabling your Clouds Mod.)

The first couple are with CloudsV12.1_greysky, Cumulonimbus, and graphic presets installed in that order. ;)

Edited by busdriver
rowdyb00t

@busdriver

The “funky“ colors are a combination of skydome/light mix. I’m glad you’ve brought that to my attention. When the sun is setting or rising in the winter under the overcast, it is showing through too much. I need to tone down this for the “original” overcast style. 
   As for the overcast bubble, that’s an annoying setting called fog range. It’s set to 11000, which I believe is a 11km diameter. Any number higher than this results in the overcast completely disappearing. I’m going to take a stab at the reasoning for this. All precipitation is tied to this type of overcast’s ini file. I think the diameter is limited for FPS, so the rain/snow doesn’t tax the hell out of it. Just a guess though. Anyway, the bubble, I seem to have forgot to add the right amount of haze to hide the thing. Thanks for pointing that out. 

• Thanks 1
rowdyb00t

@busdriver

I toned down the winter "stock" overcast. I had the wrong light.bmp's in the folders. I made some for overcast quite some time back but looks like I placed the ones for clear/light weather in them.

7:30am

748714254_Screenshot(62).thumb.png.d1400e5179aa0e7ae4db013859a31e44.png

8:00am

1419736223_Screenshot(61).thumb.png.7dfaf98fedf0dea69df2a98282e4de9a.png

8:30am

255996430_Screenshot(63).thumb.png.6db0cbbe9da96d318c91e34ff4d4b711.png

And for the summer overcast..

I fudged the haze a bit. First one is with Haze option off. Clouds at 1700 m. Looks better at say 600 to 800ish

263816063_Screenshot(58).thumb.png.064743c386f107051fc66947235e10da.png

Second is at 0.2

1840041066_Screenshot(59).thumb.png.536aa1b6c5a818ef5059fe0044a2eb96.png

And third is at 1.0 or PEA SOUP

177740984_Screenshot(60).thumb.png.cd18323e7fcb8cde7501b4e9f1618080.png

personally I would use option 2 for QMB or mission building. The overcast looks much better with a bit of haze. 

Anyway, I really think that the whole overcast / precipitation clouds could be revamped. Or at least if I had some better options for making them work. I tried before adding precip to my other overcast 3D clouds but ran into the FogRange issue of having an 11Km diameter. What happens is, everything past the 11Km limit disappears. It would be an easy fix to range it to 150Km but that may be taxing??

P.S. If all goes good tomorrow, I should have these all done.

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
Beebop

😲  WOW!  It just keeps getting better and better.  It's nice having a modder that is always looking for ways to improve their work.

Now rowdy, I know it would be hard as dedicated as you are but really man, after you get done with this, take a break!  You have been at this continuously for 18 months.  As nice as the clouds are now we can all live with this version for a little while while you take a well deserved breather.

But, I'll bet getting you to stop even for a bit is like trying to stop a runaway train.

STOP.jpg

• Haha 1
Beebop
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

I took a 6 month break or so between the last version

😲  And I thought you were working day and night slaving over a hot stove fixing and improving the mod to now find you were getting a tan on the shores of Lake Superior.  😎

I'm crushed! 😳

LOL!

You are a Community Saint in my book.  Looking forward to the next iteration.

BornToBattle

First, kudos! My hat is off to you sir!

Just to be clear, I have a 42” 4K monitor and the G2 for VR. 90% of the time I’m flying in VR mode, but for the other 10% of the time when using the JSGME mod installer I’m guessing I need to use JSGME before I run the game to uninstall the VR clouds and then install the 2D desktop clouds  if I’m planning to fly in 2D and NOT in VR, correct?

And this would be the same when switching from 2D to flying in VR - 2D cloud types need to be uninstalled within the mod enabler and then VR cloud sets need to be activated, correct?*

*Okay, re-reading the instructions on the first page it appears that you choose one or the other cloud set for VR, not both at the same time. So just as in the 2D cloud sets, it’s based on personal preference as to what sets you use.

From what I gather I should always install both Clouds VR and Clouds VR GREY SKY (when flying in VR) as they deal with separate weather setups (clear day with clouds versus cloudy/overcast day with clouds) and within the mod enabler it doesn’t matter which order they are activated in within the mod enabler, correct?

Tried to keep this as simple as possible with this post for you as I know you’ve got better things to do! My thanks ahead of time to you sir and keep up the GREAT work!

Edited by BornToBattle
rowdyb00t

@BornToBattle

Hello there

Im not sure how beefy your pc is but I leave the “2D” version in when I fly VR. Really it’s user preference. 

• Thanks 1
BornToBattle

Seems like I'm going to have to experiment with these packs! And that's a good thing though. So am I correct when say to choose one pack or the other then (CloudsVR versus CloudsVR greysky)?

And thanks for the super fast reply. Wish the government was just as efficient as you are.

Edited by BornToBattle
rowdyb00t
28 minutes ago, BornToBattle said:

Seems like I'm going to have to experiment with these packs! And that's a good thing though. So am I correct when say to choose one pack or the other then (CloudsVR versus CloudsVR greysky)?

And thanks for the super fast reply. Wish the government was just as efficient as you are.

Yes you are correct. Either choose original version or Grey sky. 

rowdyb00t

Almost done! I've ran out of gas and I'm going to bed. I'll finish up after work tomorrow, I only have 50 left to do out of the 200. Here's a pic.

581755010_Screenshot(64).thumb.png.12fe4252caace59a083d62d98ff9976d.png

• Like 8
rowdyb00t

UPDATED!

Newest version 14, 14 Grey Sky, VR.2 and VR.2 Grey Sky is added to the OP. I added the new Haze option to the mod. Also, Thanks @squiffy . He found an error where one of the Grey skydomes was attached to the NOT grey sky version :salute:

For some reason I feel like I forgot something lol. Let me know if you guys find something :biggrin:

2021_2_4__22_24_30.thumb.png.6342628318298633aa8770a94d840ba6.png

2021_2_4__22_40_49.thumb.png.d1b6f15d9bc0d88639b9fd8878e7c76c.png

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Upvote 1
TimSell75

Many many thanks for the hard work you put into it! 😍

As I am playing in VR, could you tell what the difference ist between the VR and 2D Version?

Which Cloud setting should we use? High or Ultra or does it not matter?

Thanks again!

rowdyb00t
6 minutes ago, TimSell75 said:

Many many thanks for the hard work you put into it! 😍

As I am playing in VR, could you tell what the difference ist between the VR and 2D Version?

Which Cloud setting should we use? High or Ultra or does it not matter?

Thanks again!

The VR version is less taxing on the GPU. It has regular sized clouds. The versions of 14 have upscaled clouds. Honestly if you have a beefy system you can run bigger version. I built the mod using the “High” setting so I recommend that but you can try the other ones. Make sure you follow the install instructions on the OP.

• Like 1
itsbillyfrazier

Great work Rowdy, I'm really enjoying this version so far.

Many thanks,

Billy.

• Thanks 1
jokerBR

Tried hard to get a grey sky and some cumulonimbus, but no dice so far after 10 quick missions. Earlier versions this was almost instantaneous when I selected Heavy or Overcast (installed the greysky version + cumulonimbus). 

Also, no cumulonimbus formations (two layers, etc). Dunno what happened, because before (versions 12 and 13) I was getting pretty beautiful and varied cloud formations, fronts, thunderous and menacing clouds, all randomly selectable using quick mission. Maybe I need to use mission editor now (or is just a matter of keep trying)? 

EDIT: finally got a big front after maybe 18 or 19 tries. 👍 But no gray sky so far. 

Edited by jokerBR
rowdyb00t
27 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

EDIT: finally got a big front after maybe 18 or 19 tries. 👍 But no gray sky so far. 

Maybe 20 or 51 tries might get it :biggrin:

The QMB is strange sometimes. Hell once I got the same like 10 times in a row lol

• Upvote 1
jokerBR
26 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Maybe 20 or 51 tries might get it :biggrin:

Yep! Pretty much it! Lol. 

TimSell75

If this mod is not #1 on the list for being implemented into the official game I don´t know...

• Upvote 4
Mysticpuma

Hi Rowdy. 

Out of interest is there absolutely no way of just having one cloudset generated? Looking at the previous post (and I have had similar), multiple flights can be had and absolutely no sign of your updated clouds and yet suddenly, randomly one finally appears and you realise the mod is working. 

Is there no way of just modding a game file so it chooses whichever file of yours generates CN cloud banks? 

Love the work, frustrated at not seeing it appear often enough :(

Cheers, Mysticpuma. 

• Upvote 1
itsbillyfrazier

Hey Rowdy, I hope you've had a few well deserved beers after delivering v14 to us!

Just a quick one.... In the first new WIP videos you posted, what is the effect happening at c. 1:10, the clouds go dark, almost brown in color momentarily.  Volcanic ash cloud? 😄

Billy.

rowdyb00t
12 minutes ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

Hey Rowdy, I hope you've had a few well deserved beers after delivering v14 to us!

Just a quick one.... In the first new WIP videos you posted, what is the effect happening at c. 1:10, the clouds go dark, almost brown in color momentarily.  Volcanic ash cloud? 😄

Billy.

Yup! :biggrin:

I honestly thought everyone would be blowing up this thread lol. I’m working on 3D overcast with precipitation. Still have a way to go but I did figure out how to hide the edge of the 14km diameter that this is drawn with. The clouds and colors need tuned, ect. 

2 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Hi Rowdy. 

Out of interest is there absolutely no way of just having one cloudset generated? Looking at the previous post (and I have had similar), multiple flights can be had and absolutely no sign of your updated clouds and yet suddenly, randomly one finally appears and you realise the mod is working. 

Is there no way of just modding a game file so it chooses whichever file of yours generates CN cloud banks? 

Love the work, frustrated at not seeing it appear often enough :(

Cheers, Mysticpuma. 

I’ve got an idea for that. I’ll get back to you later today. :salute:

• Like 2
blue_max

Wow! Those clouds look AMAZING! Super excited. Do you still have that boiling effect? I can't really see it in the video, but it's super obvious when I play myself.

rowdyb00t
12 minutes ago, blue_max said:

Do you still have that boiling effect?

Sometimes I get it. I dunno why but I’ve noticed it in some of YouTube videos. I think the larger the clouds get, the more time the GPU spends rendering them. I have the NoiseAmp set right in the files 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by rowdyb00t
Mysticpuma
10 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

Also...

Exceptional and if I could choose that as my only option that would be me happy instead of multiple missions never seeing this greatness :(

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)