[MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)

rowdyb00t

Beebop
26 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

What are other settings after I choose overcast and what level of overcast should it bet set for snow?

In the 'Atmospheric conditions' menu  find "Precipitations > Type" and set to to "Snow" then set the "Level" between 1 and 10.

Edited by Beebop
Tom25briklebritt

The download "2k clouds", please explain - are vanilla cloud textures lower resoultion than 2k? 

Edited by Tom25briklebritt
rowdyb00t
54 minutes ago, Tom25briklebritt said:

The download "2k clouds", please explain - are vanilla cloud textures lower resoultion than 2k? 

Well to tell the truth, when I made these new textures for the cloud maps, I had no idea that the game still displays these at 512x512. The difference in the 512 and 2048 maps is I spent more time sharpening the cloud edges and blended the heights more gradual. So they are more detailed it seems. LizLemon pointed this out to me sometime back. So the answer would be that they are displayed at the same resolution no matter what I do. 

• Thanks 1
vonGraf
On 1/12/2021 at 5:22 PM, rowdyb00t said:

The odd colors at dusk/dawn was from the skydomes. This is fixed. The skydomes are saved in B8G8R8X8 (linear, B8G8R8X8) format. There are about 15 different save options, this one worked the best. Each skydome is now 2.7mb. 

Ok, thanks for the clarification, that's 32bit with unused alpha. Good.

I found the cause for the strange looking sky, has nothing to do with your mod that I wasn't implying at all. Using your clouds since the first version and is a 'must have' for me. :good:

It happens to me when I get hit and being wounded the whole picture suddenly gets a weird banding; looks similar to a low color depth. It's worse at dusk/dawn.

Example:

2021_1_21__13_20_28.thumb.jpg.4323868d1df1128dd671c9fcb4a4bfb5.jpg2021_1_21__13_20_39.thumb.jpg.0f7b685dc7dc672caa8c5e17865929ea.jpg

Edited by vonGraf
Dutch2
1 hour ago, vonGraf said:

Ok, thanks for the clarification, that's 32bit with unused alpha. Good.

I found the cause for the strange looking sky, has nothing to do with your mod what I wasn't implying at all. Using your clouds since the first version and is a 'must have' for me. :good:

It happens to me when I get hit and being wounded the whole picture suddenly gets a weird banding; looks similar to a low color depth. It's worse at dusk/dawn.

Example:

2021_1_21__13_20_28.thumb.jpg.4323868d1df1128dd671c9fcb4a4bfb5.jpg2021_1_21__13_20_39.thumb.jpg.0f7b685dc7dc672caa8c5e17865929ea.jpg

Already did made a complain about this  behavior, which I think is a rather silly solution for showing that a pilot is wounded. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
Beebop
12 minutes ago, drewm3i-VR said:

Which one do I download? 12.1?

That's one of the two latest.  I use 12.1 Grey Sky as I like the "greyer" cloudy weather it provides.  I have both (but use the Grey Sky version mostly) and they are  both excellent!

I would also recommend the Cumulonimbus Clouds.  It gives you some really dramatic and multi-cloud layers (in some presets).  Install AFTER 12.1/12.1 GS.

Personally I H I G H L Y recommend this mod.  IMO it should be added to the stock game.  The difference is stunningly beautiful.

=AW=drewm3i-VR
31 minutes ago, Beebop said:

That's one of the two latest.  I use 12.1 Grey Sky as I like the "greyer" cloudy weather it provides.  I have both (but use the Grey Sky version mostly) and they are  both excellent!

I would also recommend the Cumulonimbus Clouds.  It gives you some really dramatic and multi-cloud layers (in some presets).  Install AFTER 12.1/12.1 GS.

Personally I H I G H L Y recommend this mod.  IMO it should be added to the stock game.  The difference is stunningly beautiful.

Does it destroy performance? I'm running in VR so I don't even have the stock clouds set to ultra. Really I'm trying to get rid of the shimmering.

rowdyb00t
42 minutes ago, drewm3i-VR said:

Does it destroy performance? I'm running in VR so I don't even have the stock clouds set to ultra. Really I'm trying to get rid of the shimmering.

Try the One of the 12.1 versions first. If it’s too heavy I have two versions 9.1 revised 2. These were optimized for VR. Follow the install instructions at the bottom of the OP below the downloads:salute:

=AW=drewm3i-VR
3 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Try the One of the 12.1 versions first. If it’s too heavy I have two versions 9.1 revised 2. These were optimized for VR. Follow the install instructions at the bottom of the OP below the downloads:salute:

Awesome, will try it out and report back!

• Like 1
Beebop
1 hour ago, drewm3i-VR said:

What rowdy said.

In addition, I do not have VR so cannot address that directly but those I know who do use VR seem happiest with a 9.1 version.

* For all users, set "Clouds quality" to "High" for best performance of this mod.  "Extreme" will most likely cause undesirable effects.  I have no experience with Low or Medium settings so cannot speak to the effectiveness of this mod on those settings.

If you continue to have graphic anomalies try using the gprests mod found at the bottom of the listing on page 1.  I have had no issues with the mod so do not use the gpresets file.  I have tried it and have seen no visible differences.  Your mileage may vary.  It can be installed before or after any clouds mod.

• Thanks 2
rowdyb00t

Hey gang, just about finished with Version 13 and the new version for VR ( CloudsVR ). I still have to fly around with the new VR version to make sure its all good. Should be released tomorrow or Friday :biggrin:

1933927417_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.8b3984aa0b0297d4427ff84d01331319.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
rowdyb00t
36 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

@rowdyb00t have you found a solution for the washed out colours?

nice screenshot btw...😉

Thanks:biggrin: . What are you referring to on the washed out colors? Lighting or the skydomes?

Edited by rowdyb00t
rowdyb00t

Hey Folks,

Updated to Version 13 on the OP! Also renamed the newest version for VR to CloudsVR . Version notes and fixes are in the OP as well. And don't forget to give me some feedback on it. Enjoy :salute:

2021_1_30__6_27_19.thumb.png.4f52d608f46ab65cf9376d7c2343c330.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
rowdyb00t
4 hours ago, alpenspion said:

t is the diffent to the greysky version?

What is your question? What is t?

alpenspion
30 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

What is your question? What is t?

sorry. what is the differnetn between greysky and the other one.

rowdyb00t

@alpenspion

The “Grey Sky” versions of the mods have some variety of a high altitude cirrus overcast. This causes the “grey” sky. To better explain, the game has 50 sky/weather presets, Clear, Light, Medium, Heavy and Overcast. Each with 10 options in each one. I have implemented the “Grey sky type” into the Heavy, and Overcast cloud options.I believe 3 out of 10 in Heavy are grey and 4 out of 10 in overcast are grey. 

Example:
1597444491_Screenshot(96).thumb.jpg.60d1b94b3efb4c0527521bbde6c16dae.jpg1713650746_Screenshot(97).thumb.jpg.8f6a3db9e01712c1464eab977e46a06a.jpg

Deacon352nd

I'd like to be clear on the instructions for the install.  I use JSGME.  First I'd install the cloudsV13 and then Clouds13_greysky and finally the presets.  Is this correct?

rowdyb00t
3 minutes ago, Deacon352nd said:

I'd like to be clear on the instructions for the install.  I use JSGME.  First I'd install the cloudsV13 and then Clouds13_greysky and finally the presets.  Is this correct?

No, only install one of them. They are the same other than the “grey sky” mod has a few different presets in it. See the post above yours for the explanation of the difference. 

vonGraf

Oh. Nice surprise! Will test immediately.

I'm happy to read you worked on the lights at night and early morning because in some scripted campaigns it's been very dark at these times. 🙂

Edited by vonGraf
rowdyb00t

It’s hard to get the cloud brightness right. On my 4k monitor they seemed a bit on the bright side and on my Vive Pro they are perfect. They seem close though. I turned the brightness down a bit on my monitor to make them match the headset  and that seemed to do the trick.

I suppose what I’m getting at is not everyone’s color, gamma, contrast and brightness is the same, so hopefully this is a happy medium  

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Like 1
rowdyb00t

Well I just realized I forgot to add the new haze adjustment in the ini files. Right now they are with out. So when you adjust the Haze setting then nothing will happen. No biggie though. I’ll update the OP later today if I have time. :dash:

• Thanks 5
rowdyb00t

And to follow up on my previous post, this will take a bit more time than I thought. Couple days at least with my evenings after work. I’m currently working on it now. 200 sky.ini files to edit between summer and winter in both versions. I should have checked the new files after the haze update :blush: 

Edited by rowdyb00t
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
itsbillyfrazier

Thanks for the update Rowdy.

I was so eager to DL the new cloud update when i saw it earlier today but after recently switching internet providers, I'm without broadband until Tuesday.

I tried DLing it from my mobile phone but the DL was gonna take 14 hours! 😄

I look forward to trying it out on Tuesday.

All the best,

Billy.

• Haha 1
Beebop
1 hour ago, rowdyb00t said:

this will take a bit more time than I thought.

That's OK.  It will be worth the wait.

rowdyb00t

I really have to say that the Devs adding the Haze option to the weather was a fantastic idea!

1741316494_Screenshot(56).thumb.png.f9ef8a854cf757cc53d0a8d1a5690601.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
Beebop

I have mixed feelings about it.  I look forward to your additions to the mod.

rowdyb00t
58 minutes ago, Beebop said:

I have mixed feelings about it

Uh oh :biggrin:

Beebop

Not about your work!  I'm just not sure I like the haze option and have it turned off for the moment.  But when you make your modifications I will re-enable it and see how it looks. 

IMO if anyone can take a faulty game part (IMO) and make it better, YOU DA MAN!

rowdyb00t
30 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Not about your work!  I'm just not sure I like the haze option and have it turned off for the moment.  But when you make your modifications I will re-enable it and see how it looks. 

IMO if anyone can take a faulty game part (IMO) and make it better, YOU DA MAN!

I see. So far I like it. I also made a few of the morning fog that lays in the low areas and river bottoms stay a bit longer. 9 to 9:30. 

• Upvote 1
itsbillyfrazier

So I couldn't wait the extra day for the broadband to be connected and downloaded it on mobile instead....it took a few hours but worth waiting for 😁

So far I'm impressed! 

There seems to be a noticeable difference in light levels in the early morning period. This is a welcome improvement (at least for my eyes) over Version 12.1.

I used mission 3 from "The Butcher" campaign by JadeMonkey to test (I must check this mission in vanilla also) . I found the light levels a little too dark for this mission in version 12.1 but are now much improved in v13.

I'm looking forward to the fog update. 

All the best and thanks!

Billy.

Edited by itsbillyfrazier
  • Like 1
rowdyb00t

Here’s an example of the new version with the Haze set to max and fog. I did find however, that the fog in the dusk/dawn is only on every other preset. It was always like this but I figured they would have made it for all presets. Do you guys think I should make it available for all?
   I did some adjustments as well. Such as, some of the heavy and overcast weather does have a little haze when no haze is selected. It didn’t make sense to have a crystal clear atmosphere when the atmosphere is thick with moisture. Also I made just a few of the foggy mornings/evenings hang around longer and later. Here’s the vid, I’ll post a winter example later. :salute:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Beebop

I think I would vote to keep the every odd numbered preset without haze.  There are times when I want crystal clear skies.  I don't think one would see haze on a sunny mid January morning in Stalingrad.  But I will be happy with what I'm presented, as always.

• Thanks 1
itsbillyfrazier

Hey Rowdy,

I think less is more sometimes with these effects.

I couldn't quite make out the clock hands in the video, so I'm uncertain what time of day or temperature range your video takes place, or wind for that matter.

But surely these factors should influence any fog or haze being present?

Personally, i thought it looked a little bright for haze or fog to be lingering as in the video, but I am no weather expert and am happy to roll with the general consensus.

The clouds look great though! 😉

Edited by itsbillyfrazier
  • Thanks 1
rowdyb00t

@itsbillyfrazier

It was at 8:30am. And I think the temp was 17 or 18 degrees Celsius, wind was out of North west. Remember that this was with the Haze and fog option on. When it’s off it’s not present. 
   I can make the fog burn off faster like in stock weather. From my experience, sometimes the low lying fog will take longer to leave the cloudier it is. I’m no weather man though, I just work in it outside :biggrin:

• rowdyb00t changed the title to [MOD] Realistic Clouds (Updated 4-25-2021)