Sign in to follow this  
WallysWorld

New build - options please?

Posted (edited)

Since I don't post here much, I am hoping that asking for opinions on new desktop builds are allowed.

Having had my i7-920 system since last 2009, I've been saving up money for the past two years and I'm ready to get a new machine. I've picked out the parts after reading quite a lot on specs and hope I have it right. I have the money so I am willing to spend more on this new system now and not have to upgrade anything for a long time.

My i7-920 system plays IL2 great with almost everything cranked right up, but I wanted a new system to play the latest games like the newest Total War games at Ultra settings.

Going from an i7-920 (@ 4Ghz) with a GTX 970 to these specs:

Cooler Master MasterCase H500M E-ATX Gaming Case, Iron Grey w/ Tempered Glass Window with extra fan on top: Arctic Cooling ARCTIC F14 PWM PST 140mm PWM Fan, Black

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850 Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold, 850W

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER w/ DDR4, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN

Intel Core™ i9-9900K Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 16MB Cache with Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler  ( I read that the NH-D15 is just as good as AIO coolers)

Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (2x 8GB)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 500GB ( Windows drive)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 1TB

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB PCI-E w/ HDMI, Triple DP, USB-C

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit) OEM

I’m also adding two more SSD’s (930 GB and 480 GB) from my current i7-920 system to this new system.

I read that 16 GB of RAM is plenty for gaming and that 32 GB of RAM is not needed unless for some specific graphic programs for work.

I also decided to go with a RTX 2070 Super instead of a RTX 2080 as I'm using a 1080p 60 Hz monitor with new plans to go to 1440p or 144 Hz for a while.

Any opinions are most welcome and I thank you.

Edited by WallysWorld
  • Upvote 1

From my view point all good chose's.  My new rig is very close to yours, I have 32GB DDR, and an older 1080Ti 11 gig card.  Been looking at the newer cards but summer has kept me busy, having fun.  The i9-9900K is a great Processor and very easy to OC, right now I have mine running at 4.4GHz and thinking of going up to 4.8.  I run BOX with graphs setting to max. with no problems.

Your design is fine, there is nothing seriously wrong with the choice of parts. However, it's possible that some optimizations could be made.

If you ever plan to play at 4K resolution, you might find the RTX 2070 somewhat limiting in certain games. Therefore, it might make sense to step up to a stronger GPU. To keep the cost reasonable, you could choose a lesser CPU such as the 9700K for a more balanced build.

The choice of two SSDs with one rather small seems a bit odd. Personally, I'd just get a single 2 TB unit and leave a free M.2 slot for upgrades.

26 minutes ago, WallysWorld said:

I have the money so I am willing to spend more on this new system now and not have to upgrade anything for a long time.

This rarely works in practice. Buying slightly slower but much cheaper hardware and upgrading more frequently generally provides better performance than waiting a decade. Very high-end parts offer poor value due to high prices and often become obsolete quite quickly thanks to improving technology.

Getting an expensive system to have the best performance for a while is fun and somewhat understandable, but it might not be the best choice if you have to save up for it. Something like a Ryzen 5 3600, B450, and RX 5700 system could give you fairly similar performance for much less.

I read on more than a few websites that having your OS on separate drive from your games is the best practice. Now granted that SSD's are super fast compared to HDD's so maybe the advantage of having Windows on its own drive is negligible now. Others have said it makes no difference to split Windows from your main drive that holds games.

Yes, I am having trouble deciding whether to stick with a RTX 2070 Super or go to a 2080. But I don't see myself going to 4K for at least a few years and maybe more.

The gap between the 2070 SUPER and the 2080 is quite small. You'd have to step up to a 2080 Ti to see a major difference. Of course, that comes with a much higher price.

Thanks for the opinions as I highly value them. I think I will be sticking with the 2070 Super. The price difference between that and even the plain 2080 is about $240 Canadian.

VERY nice setup! With that monitor the GTX 2070 Super will be great. My 9900k is a BEAST. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I ordered it last week, but the NH-D15 is on back order and won't be in for another week. I thought I could easily wait it out, but the longer I wait, the more anxious I get.

2 hours ago, WallysWorld said:

Thanks. I ordered it last week, but the NH-D15 is on back order and won't be in for another week. I thought I could easily wait it out, but the longer I wait, the more anxious I get.

Good things come to those who wait.

;)

I started purchasing parts for my complete new build early October of last year, was not till mid January I was able to have everything ( waiting on the motherboard and CPU to be available). Finally got it built on Jan 15th , I was like a kid in a candy store lol.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, WallysWorld said:

Intel Core™ i9-9900K Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 16MB Cache with Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler  ( I read that the NH-D15 is just as good as AIO coolers)

Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit (2x 8GB)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 500GB ( Windows drive)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 1TB

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB PCI-E w/ HDMI, Triple DP, USB-C

My first question would be whether you intend the rig to be VR-ready at some point. If you're not worried about IL2 in VR, you can save significant money on the processor. Even if you are interested in VR I would say that the 9900K processor is overkill. I would instead get a 9700K, a motherboard with good overclocking/power delivery, and an AIO cooler. The Noctua is decent but in my experience you really want a 280mm or 360mm AIO for good overclocking.

For the memory, check what CAS latency you're getting. 3200mhz is good, but if you can get CAS-15 (or even 14) that will help IL2 a lot.

NVMe drives are a total waste of money for gaming. You can reduce the cost of your build significantly by skipping NVMe and just getting good m.2 drives.

If you're not interested in VR/4K, I think you'll be fine with the RTX 2070, but if you're thinking about either of those, I would go for the 2080 instead. Use the cost savings from skipping the NVMe drives and downgrading the CPU.

Edit: Guess I was a bit late on these suggestions! Anyways I'm sure you will enjoy the new rig, you have specified very nice parts.

Edited by Alonzo