jollyjack

Mission Editor Icon Symbols and description

Posted (edited)

Hi, i am trying to come to grips with the ME for BoS. Reading through various PDFs i tried to find what the various icons are for, a list with descriptions in particular.

F.i. in a loaded mission i came across these big fat Os, parked on a yellow square .. are they way points, or lost non working items from an older editor? Properties by right clicking won't show info .. thnx

Mission editor 01.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Hi, i am trying to come to grips with the ME for BoS. Reading through various PDFs i tried to find what the various icons are for, a list with descriptions in particular.

F.i. in a loaded mission i came across these big fat Os, parked on a yellow square .. are they way points, or lost non working items from an older editor? Properties by right clicking won't show info .. thnx

Mission editor 01.jpg

The editor manual shows the icons starting on pg. 236. As the namhee2 videos show, the icons in your picture are "icon translator" MCUs (pg. 255). Note that there is a similar version of the icon used by default for the mission objective translator (pg. 271). I always change that to the checkmark/cross icon beside it on pg. 271 to avoid confusion (see the "Icon Type" option at the top of pg. 273).

Edited by JimTM

It is just amazing how the Mission Editor Manuals can answer so many editor specific questions. It almost seems like it was created with that in mind.

Life is good. :yahoo: 

• Haha 4

well, i tried to find it, and reading trough 236 pages in a PDF is not really my hobby. My work is (audio and video) software, and usually there are quite a few indexes and shortcut lists enlightening the reader. I truly appreciate the work going into a good manual, but a PDF that large should especially be clear and quite oversee-able.

17 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

well, i tried to find it, and reading trough 236 pages in a PDF is not really my hobby. My work is (audio and video) software, and usually there are quite a few indexes and shortcut lists enlightening the reader. I truly appreciate the work going into a good manual, but a PDF that large should especially be clear and quite oversee-able.

Yes, I one-page list would help. I'll add that to my to-do...list.

Thnx Jim. Meanwhile i am looking through some ME videos, and getting a little further; quite interesting with tons more new tricks and treats compared to good ole Oleg's 1946 IL2.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, jollyjack said:

I've also been learning the ME using JimTM's manual - which is far clearer and well-written than many payware manuals - and every time I've felt like posting a question here I've been able to go back to the manual (and downloadable examples) and find the solution.  It is an excellent and very clear resource when actually read.  If you go through the chapter on basic skills needed for the editor it pays dividends. 

What became clear to me is that the ME is not for the instant gratification mindset, so I adjusted my expectations and settled in with it for the long haul. As a result I'm learning far more than I'd hoped...very much worth the read.

Edited by Stoopy
Toned down response.
  • Thanks 1