Posted (edited)

I posted a similar review on the DCS forum, it is a bit long but might help some choosing:

I have bought & sold a few VR headsets in my quest for the best VR experience. The list so far:

DK2, CV1, Pimax 4K, Odyssey+, Pimax 5K and my current Reverb & Index.

My plan was to return or sell whichever lost the head to head battle. My conclusion so far is rather unexpectedly that I want to keep both. Not really an ideal conclusion to a battle nor financially and most definitely not a viable recommendation!

A DCS user summed the pros of each pretty succinctly below:

Index
- build quality
- comfort
- audio quality
- dynamic range and contrast of image quality
- no WMR!
- FOV
- larger sweet spot
- adjustable IPD

Reverb
- image clarity due to higher res

Which would seem conclusive but it isn’t!

The Index feels very well built and oozes quality and makes the Reverb feel a bit cheap in comparison. That said it is about twice the weight yet is so well distributed it feels a tad more comfortable. That isn’t to say the Reverb is uncomfortable just the Index edges it.

I normally use speakers but the Index audio is good enough I would use it instead. The Reverb is ok, just not as good.

The colours are better on the Index but with some fiddling with in game gamma the Reverb looks ok. Good enough given the clarity boost I will come on to.

I don’t have an issue with WMR, it doesn’t get in the way of launching games and works well enough. However, it does add another layer of complexity to deal with and something else to get updates and not work as well! The controllers and tracking of controllers is frankly rubbish so if you plane to do some room space games with controllers the Index is a no brainer.

The FOV is noticeably bigger with the Index. Once in action in the Reverb I don’t specifically notice it but definitely a plus for the Index.

The difference in sweet spot is very noticeable in flight sims. Look at a gauge in the Reverb and the clarity is stunning. Move so the gauge is out of centre and it noticeably blurs. Do the same in the Index and gauge clarity is less impressive. Move you head and the change is far less noticeable. For me it isn’t a big deal as I tend to move my head but if you are looking through the gunsight and move your eyes to sweep gauges the Index gives a more consistent view.

My IPD is 65 which seems well in range for the Reverb. This could be an issue if you have a much higher or lower IPD. The Index has adjustable eye relief, so I would guess you could wear glasses with it, the Reverb would seem unlikely.

The Reverb clarity is amazing. In fact if I had to describe the key thing I would want from VR in the next generation from the CV1 it would be better visuals. FOV, audio, sweet spots are all nice to haves. Text is incredibly clear. Just loading up the Mixed Reality Portal is jaw dropping compared to my previous WMR device (Odyssey+)

Yes there is some mura if I look hard enough with solid colour background but in use in a flight or racing sim I simply don’t notice it. Because of its clarity I don’t need to over sample by any degree, it is that good. So I don’t need the monster PC the resolution figures might suggest. In comparison I need to push the SS up with the Index to try to get close to clarity of the Reverb such that in spite of all those extra pixels to drive the Reverb and Index are pretty much identical performance wise.

So in spite of having only one winning feature, it is the one feature that for me could be enough to win overall.

However, it depends...

I touched on the fact that you might want to use the headset for other things in which case the Index controllers and base stations are a clear (though costly) winner.

If, like me, you only want it for seated flight and race sims the Reverb tracking is fine yet it still depends on the games you play which is best from my experience.

For iRacing, which has a very sharp and crisp graphics engine, the Reverb just looks incredible. Jumping to the Index and despite the slightly larger FOV, the lack of resolution really shows up along with clear SDE. If I want to take advantage of the higher refresh in the Index I then have to drop down the graphics levels which just make it look even more inferior.

In contrast DCS just looks a little better in the Index. Pushing the SS up to 204% as per suggestions on the forum and the clarity of instruments is quite similar while maintaining a solid 45fps and the extra FOV just seems a more natural fit for the cockpit in the Index. Colour wise sightseeing just looks a tiny bit nicer. It isn’t as clear cut as iRacing though; I would take the Index at a pinch.

For IL2 I am even more on the fence. Putting on the Reverb and looking at the gauges is certainly clearer, with the caveat that as you move your head they blur a little. SDE is more apparent with the Index and the IL2 engine than DCS but only a little. The FOV is a bit nicer with the Index, maybe the colours a tiny bit more vivid but lowering the gamma helps the Reverb here. I put the Index on and it seems fine, put the Reverb on and it seems fine too!

I am still tweaking, there are a lot of variables and both devices are new and receiving various updates to SteamVR, WMR and firmware updates. Plus the developers are only just getting devices themselves to test. iRacing has a number of reports of users suffering with eye strain and nausea using the Index for example.

HP’s launch of the Reverb has been littered with QA issues. It seems new supplies of units with the original issues addressed should be hitting the supply channels now but it remains to be seen if the issues with cable connection, overheating and flickering have been resolved.

The Index too has had some issues with units having vertical lines although less prevalent.

The only upside is the reports of customer service dealing with the issues seem positive with both HP & Valve.

With the caveat of the v1.0 issues being fixed my final conclusion is that I highly rate both headsets. There are use cases which favour the Index (e.g. room space, IPD, glasses). The Reverb is rather bare bones but has image clarity that is for now class leading, while the Index is a more polished all-rounder. Both are great for DCS and a significant upgrade from a CV1 or Vive and visually a level above a Pimax 5K+ or Odyssey+ in my experience.

Edited by PO_Baldrick
  • Thanks 7

Good review, probably can't go wrong for either for Il2, just depends on  preference for resolution or FOV.   I only have the Reverb (Gen 2) but have no problems wearing glasses, I would say if your glasses fit within the Rift then it also will for the Reverb.  And I'm happy that my 1080 runs it fine for the most part, so no need to go out and buy a new card like I thought I would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still can’t decide which of the two I want to get :( 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the detailed review.  I've only played IL-2 with a CV1 for a total of 35 hours so far, however the frustration of it's lousy spotting ability (clarity) at medium & long range ruins the experience IMO.  I could wish for more FOV, but that would just mean more crappy clarity over a wider area; tunnel vision isn't my biggest gripe with VR right now, nor is comfort or how good the sound system is.

Clarity is at the top of my wish list, so after getting the Reverb I'll start wishing for the next VR unit that further improves on that level of clarity along with more FOV.  The other considerations I can make my own workarounds for in the meanwhile.  I only plan to use VR for IL-2 and racing, so not paying extra for new & improved hand controllers is actually a bonus.  Thanks for the comparison.

Edited by Drum

16 hours ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

I would say if your glasses fit within the Rift then it also will for the Reverb

Aren't your glasses touching the Reverb lenses? I had that issue with my O+ so I got WidmoVR lenses.

My gen 2 Reverb sits on the shelf for the moment while waiting for a new set of prescription lenses to arrive.

What a torture! 🤪 😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, apollon01 said:

Aren't your glasses touching the Reverb lenses? I had that issue with my O+ so I got WidmoVR lenses.

My gen 2 Reverb sits on the shelf for the moment while waiting for a new set of prescription lenses to arrive.

What a torture! 🤪 😎

I can say that my glasses fit better in the Reverb than in the Rift. Seems like there is slightly more room in the Reverb.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, apollon01 said:

What a torture! 🤪 😎

With the O+ the lenses stick out more so glasses would be a problem.   I never had any issues with the Rift or Reverb, and I've tried three different frame types.

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, Bullets said:

I still can’t decide which of the two I want to get :( 

I'm in the same boat, I would have gladly paid a premium for the Index with 2160x2160 res. Instead it's a bloody compromise. Add to that problems with the Index controllers and vertical lines on the panels, it really can't justify the premium price. The lack of an IPD on the Reverb gives me pause as mine is ~68, and I'm reticent about the size of the sweet spot. In the meantime, I'm becoming increasingly underwhelmed with my CV1's poor resolution and spotting. I'm running a 2080 and need to upgrade the hmd and I'm getting a tad peeved at the thought of paying a good price for a compromise. Decisions, decisions, money is not the issue, just a hmd that delivers. 

Edited by Wulfen

11 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

I'm in the same boat, I would have gladly paid a premium for the Index with 2160x2160 res. Instead it's a bloody compromise. Add to that problems with the Index controllers and vertical lines on the panels, it really can't justify the premium price. The lack of an IPD on the Reverb gives me pause as mine is ~68, and I'm reticent about the size of the sweet spot. In the meantime, I'm becoming increasingly underwhelmed with my CV1's poor resolution and spotting. I'm running a 2080 and need to upgrade the hmd and I'm getting a tad peeved at the thought of paying a good price for a compromise. Decisions, decisions, money is not the issue, just a hmd the delivers. 

I have a CV1 since Xmas 2017, also an Odyssey and an O+. They have all worked without issue. My concern with the Index is that I don't want to buy clutterware  base stations that might become obsolete and unsupported at any time, on top of which the Index doesn't seem to provide any advance in resolution. The Reverb has multiple issues. I question whether marketing the Reverb as a "commercial" or "enterprise" grade product is anything more than a means of rationalizing the asking price. OTOH it might provide opportunity to later hold  "sales" that would seem like a bargain too good to refuse, while still maintaining a cushion relative to actual production costs.

Sometimes I sway to the rift s as the least risky option, price and optics wise, and a possible stopgap. Plus I have some games from the oculus store, but again it's another compromise and a bit overpriced. Will Samsung release a new hi res hmd before the end of the year, if anyone could produce the goods they could with their panel expertise. It's a bit of a quagmire to make a decision in, only to have to make another purchase in 6 months time again.

1 minute ago, Wulfen said:

Sometimes I sway to the rift s as the least risky option, price and optics wise, and a possible stopgap. Plus I have some games from the oculus store, but again it's another compromise and a bit overpriced. Will Samsung release a new hi res hmd before the end of the year, if anyone could produce the goods they could with their panel expertise. It's a bit of a quagmire to make a decision in, only to have to make another purchase in 6 months time again.

Yeah not a lot out there at this time, both the Index and the Reverb have had their share of issues. I had considered getting a Reverb soon for my flight sims to have in addition

to my Rift S ( I too enjoy many Oculus games) , but I don't see me doing that now unless I see a major improvement from HP in the quality department for the Reverb. I have seen a lot of units returned over various forums.

So I am glad I held off on that one.

I had considered grabbing an Index, but with the setup of lighthouses/base station, and overall expense of the total package, I decided against it.

The Rift S had some issues early on but they have pretty much been worked out through firmware and software updates.

It is a nice headset with good image and clarity along with performance, and it just works out of the box with very little fuss or muss.

Be aware the audio strap is not much good, if you like good audio would need either headphones or earbuds, which is additional expense if not already have.

I use earbuds and the sound is great with those.

Not really seen anything from Samsung yet. Only one I know of announced that is still in the works would be the HTC Vive Cosmos.

https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/

Not a lot of details out yet on it.

Yes, the Cosmos. Again not much over the rift s, but a big jump in price. The Index seems a bit of a shambles with god rays and other issues at nearly 1100 euro. Have Valve lost the plot to not check such things during the dev process, when such having came to light previously in gen 1 hmd's. The hi res of the Reverb has me very tempted, but I really do not want to buy 2 hmd's.

2 hours ago, Wulfen said:

The Index seems a bit of a shambles with god rays and other issues at nearly 1100 euro.

Have you ever even used the index in il2?  I would hardly call it a shambles. 

There is a compelling argument that for the money, the rift s can get you through until any next year headsets.

Posted (edited)

My Reverb arrived last week and yesterday I was installing it and testing IL-2 (and beat saber! for first time just to check controllers) for a short time.

So, I am exactly at the same boat than PO_baldrick (thanks for your great review!), but I don´t want to have two VR headsets at home, that´s too much for one home.

I have been using in the past the DK1(backer), DK2, CV1, VivePro, Pimax5K+ which I sold except DK1. Now I have the Index and the Reverb and for sure one will go to ebay.

My initial impressions, my IPD is 66 mm:

- The installation and setup was pretty simple. You only need the steam app called "WMR for SteamVR" and directly enjoy all steam catalogue. Everything worked perfectly in 15 min.

- The resolution at the center of the view was impressive, no SDE, but smaller sweet spot (not as bad as the VivePro, I would say just a little bit smaller to CV1) and chromatic aberration in the edges.

- The tracking was ok for seated, I didn´t loss tracking at any time. (also in beat saber head tracking was OK)

- The weight is sooo light, that´s very nice. The fixing is like CV1, and I like this very much.

- The cable is a bit short and heavy (double cable DP and USB). it has now a plastic case for the connector, so it eliminated the lash and possible disconnections.

- The performance was quite good with IL-2, but this is because the heavy subsampling that internally is applying the device. The recommended SteamVR SS for my 1080Ti was 150%.

But you need to use 184% to reach the physical display res.

This table compares the SteamVR SS (1 means 100%, 1.4 means 140%) of both devices.

The "absolute SS ratio" is just dividing the TOTAL pixels by the physical display pixels.

1018345730_reverb-index-res.png.c2203f1b3cac88b6b4772d60137909ba.png

I was using 140% with the Reverb and the IL-2 flight was quite OK for my 1080Ti. I briefly tested with 180% and I didn´t notice visual quality improvement.

In the next weekend, I will do some more testing with different resolutions and through the lens comparisons to have some objective base.

It is going to be a very very difficult choice, before arriving the Reverb I thought that after 5 mins with Reverb I was going to keep Index for multiple reasons, but now I realize that it will require a more deeper analysis and calm thoughts after logging more hours with these great devices.

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You should try bumping it up to 188% in steamVR, that should give you the closest to native resolution (2160). I manage to run it pretty damn comfortable at balanced on my 2080 which should be close to your 1080ti, and with the new nvidia drivers with the low latency mode in 3d settings it should be even better.

Posted (edited)

I am looking forward to the comparison @chiliwili69

I should be up and running with my Reverb this week hopefully and am very much looking forward to the experience.

No Index here so the decision making will be pretty simple on my side: the O+ will go once the Reverb proves it is stable and problem-free.

Edited by apollon01

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Have you ever even used the index in il2?  I would hardly call it a shambles. 

There is a compelling argument that for the money, the rift s can get you through until any next year headsets.

No, I haven't. But I'm going on the numerous user reviews, and to be honest, for 1100 euro you should not have to be dealing with flaws in the controllers, vertical lines in the panels, and god rays as bad or worse than the rift. Now I'm open to correction on such matters as I would really like to buy a high quality hmd and have no issue in paying top price. It's just I expect a flaw free device for my hard earned euros.

Edited by Wulfen

Rift doesn't look happy, at all 😆

I had reverb too but decided to send it back and waited for index to arrive.

IMG_20190816_183233.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Wulfen said:

No, I haven't. But I'm going on the numerous user reviews, and to be honest, for 1100 euro you should not have to be dealing with flaws in the controllers, vertical lines in the panels, and god rays as bad or worse than the rift. Now I'm open to correction on such matters as I would really like to buy a high quality hmd and have no issue in paying top price. It's just i expect a flaw free device for my hard earned euro's.

All the new headsets, Rift S, Index & Reverb have had their issues, the CV1 had updates that would render the device unusable until patched back in its launch era. This is bleeding edge stuff with the issues that come with it I am afraid, it isn't like buying a washing machine.

If that is a concern then just like with most new software and hardware waiting for others to endure the issues and for production processes, firmware and software to get updated is probably a wise choice. In six months or so all these devices will likely be much more stable.

Edited by PO_Baldrick

Posted (edited)

In fairness the rift s is at a price where you can argue from the point of the need of compromise in design and quality. The Index is advertised as a premium product with a very premium price to match. Let's not lose objectivity and critical thought in our rush to hand over our hard earned cash for the quick fix of a new expensive toy. As for those that have taken the plunge and given feedback on the products in question. I, and am sure many more, are thankful for your and their efforts to relay the pros and cons of same. In the end as buyers we reserve the right to be sceptical and cautious in relation such big purchases. Due diligence is always a wise approach. Act in haste, repent at leisure, etc,etc.

Edited by Wulfen

45 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

In fairness the rift s is at a price where you can argue from the point of the need of compromise in design and quality. The Index is advertised as a premium product with a very premium price to match. Let's not lose objectivity and critical though in our rush to hand over our hard earned cash for the quick fix of a new expensive toy. As for those that have taken the plunge and given feedback on the products in question. I, and am sure many more, are thankful for your and their efforts to relay the pros and cons of same. In the end as buyers we reserve the right to be sceptical and cautious in relation such big purchases. Due diligence is always a wise approach. Act in haste, repent at leisure, etc,etc.

Maybe I am too tolerant of the bleeding edge aspect but I paid more for the CV1 in 2016 than the Index in 2019 (both without controllers) and the CV1 wasn't without its teething problems, it just kind of came with the the territory. In comparison the Index is a far more premium build quality and in my case both devices worked perfectly albeit with some hiccoughs with Oculus software in the early CV1 days.

You are right to be cautious though, this isn't throw away kind of prices.

20 hours ago, Wulfen said:

Has anyone experience of this outlet, https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/. They currently have the reverb for sale and ship across the EU.

I bought mine from them.

I placed the order about 2 months ago, but they kindly let me know that initial units had problems and they waited for the second batch of corrected units.

They allowed me to cancel my order if I wanted, but I preferred to wait since I have no rush, but prefer a working headset.

The second batch of corrected units incorporate a small plastic case to put it around the connector, so it keep the connection fixed. I don´t know if they touched anything of the headset itself in this second batch.

The headset works correctly (yesterday my 12yr son enjoyed one hour of beat saber with no problems)

On 8/26/2019 at 1:07 AM, Wulfen said:

The lack of an IPD on the Reverb gives me pause as mine is ~68

I know Rift-S has a software based IPD adjust, but does anybody knows if HP Reverb has a software adjust for IPD? and if yes how good is it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

I know Rift-S has a software based IPD adjust, but does anybody knows if HP Reverb has a software adjust for IPD? and if yes how good is it?

Yes, it is in Windows Settings>Mixed Reality>Headset Display.

The slider goes from 59 to 67mm and is accurate.

My Reverb arrived Friday and I'm loving it even with the smaller display that O+ or Rift S.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You say smaller display, do you mean fov. I thought the reverb's fov was larger. Also how does it compare to the rift s for the sweet spot. Also is your IPD in the optimum range.

Edited by Wulfen

I found the Reverb FOV slightly larger than the  Rift S before I returned it.  If I  remember correctly sitting  in  the Mk IX  while looking straight at the sight I could still see the  20mm while I couldn't in the Rift S.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wulfen said:

You say smaller display, do you mean fov. I thought the reverb's fov was larger. Also how does it compare to the rift s for the sweet spot. Also is your IPD in the optimum range.

The Reverb FOV is as wide as Odyssey+ but not as high. More like a wide screen display.

I can't detect a "sweet spot". The entire screen is sharp edge to edge.

My IPD is 66 according to my optician and the Reverb adjustment in Mixed Reality settings seems to agree.

Edited by Gordon200
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

SW IPD adjustment seems to be the different thing to the HW IPD adjustment. 

SW IPD adj = setting the scale of the virtual world

HW IPD adj. = moving displays physically

more  HERE

Edited by Tapi

47 minutes ago, Tapi said:

SW IPD adjustment seems to be the different thing to the HW IPD adjustment. 

SW IPD adj = setting the scale of the virtual world

HW IPD adj. = moving displays physically

more  HERE

When it comes to SW IPD adjustment It's not actually scaling the in world units in any way. In the application it should, as with hardware adjustment, adjust the virtual distance between the rendering cameras to represent that in reality, but in the headset, it will shift the render on the actual screen, and match the centre of the render to your IPD. Now if things gets an "off" scale the application might not counter for one of these changes, creating a discrepancy between real life and in game perception. This will manifest itself as perceiving the scale as different. If I scaled you up, you'd have eyes further from each other, and the world would feel small.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:48 AM, Wulfen said:

No, I haven't. But I'm going on the numerous user reviews, and to be honest, for 1100 euro you should not have to be dealing with flaws in the controllers, vertical lines in the panels, and god rays as bad or worse than the rift. Now I'm open to correction on such matters as I would really like to buy a high quality hmd and have no issue in paying top price. It's just I expect a flaw free device for my hard earned euros.

Going from the CV1 to the Index I didn't really notice any problems at all especially god rays which are much reduced.

I sometimes see what looks like vertical lines but I think all it is, is the SDE becoming momentarily visible  Speaking personally it is a great improvement and for the cost of the headset and 1 lighthouse it'd be worth it.  my view is that you need 2 lighthouses to ensure 360 degree tracking - with just 1 on I lost tracking if looking at my 6 for a few seconds.

My only gripe is that the HMD and lighthouses are powered, and the lighthouses emit a slight whine when working,  not really noticeable above the quiet sound of pc but even so.

von Tom

43 minutes ago, kissklas said:

When it comes to SW IPD adjustment It's not actually scaling the in world units in any way. In the application it should, as with hardware adjustment, adjust the virtual distance between the rendering cameras to represent that in reality, but in the headset, it will shift the render on the actual screen, and match the centre of the render to your IPD. Now if things gets an "off" scale the application might not counter for one of these changes, creating a discrepancy between real life and in game perception. This will manifest itself as perceiving the scale as different. If I scaled you up, you'd have eyes further from each other, and the world would feel small.

THX Kissklas for the clarification. I hope I understand your explanation.

IMHO while SW IPD set virtual distance between cameras, HW IPD moves optics. So both IPDs influences the scale of the scene, but only HW IPD can solve my problem with not fully sharp image.

If my IPD is e.g. too narrow, HW IPD helps me adjust optics so that I see scrisp image and within the right scale. On the other hand SW IPS do not adjust optics so I still may not see crisp image (depending on how large is the sweetspot) but the scale of the scene is adjusted correctly.

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

THX Kissklas for the clarification. I hope I understand your explanation.

IMHO while SW IPD set virtual distance between cameras, HW IPD moves optics. So both IPDs influences the scale of the scene, but only HW IPD can solve my problem with not fully sharp image.

If my IPD is e.g. too narrow, HW IPD helps me adjust optics so that I see scrisp image and within the right scale. On the other hand SW IPS do not adjust optics so I still may not see crisp image (depending on how large is the sweetspot) but the scale of the scene is adjusted correctly.

Both SW and HW will ideally move the virtual cameras. The SW solution just shifts the render (to align the centre of each render with each eye) instead of moving the screens and optics into position. Both will change the perceived scale, if you change the IPD values yes. In a perfect world though if the hardware setting was aligned to your eyes, and the in game cameras were set to that exact distance, your scale perception in game would be close to 1:1 with reality.

And yeah, you are totally correct regarding the blur. The clarity issue would need a hardware change. Your eyes are either too close or to far from each other to align enough with the focused area of your lenses. There is a goldilocks zone in the Reverb on either side of 1.63. I'm 1.65-ish and very much within that zone. But I am uncertain where that zone start and end. If I was around 1.67-1.7 I would try one out before buying!

19 minutes ago, kissklas said:

Both SW and HW will ideally move the virtual cameras. The SW solution just shifts the render (to align the centre of each render with each eye) instead of moving the screens and optics into position. Both will change the perceived scale, if you change the IPD values yes. In a perfect world though if the hardware setting was aligned to your eyes, and the in game cameras were set to that exact distance, your scale perception in game would be close to 1:1 with reality.

And yeah, you are totally correct regarding the blur. The clarity issue would need a hardware change. Your eyes are either too close or to far from each other to align enough with the focused area of your lenses. There is a goldilocks zone in the Reverb on either side of 1.63. I'm 1.65-ish and very much within that zone. But I am uncertain where that zone start and end. If I was around 1.67-1.7 I would try one out before buying!

Well, my IPD si very narrow (58 mm) so I think Reverb is not for me. Fortunatelly with Rift S I am precisely on the lower margin of the optics. Well, I must not move my headset on my head while playing but if I set it firmly on the right position, I am within sweetspot and see perfect sharp image.

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Well, my IPD si very narrow (58 mm) so I think Reverb is not for me. Fortunatelly with Rift S I am precisely on the lower margin of the optics. Well, I must not move my headset on my head while playing but if I set it firmly on the right position, I am within sweetspot and see perfect sharp image.

Yeah you might be slightly outside the range. Still though, if you get the chance; try one. You never know! I find the sweet spot fairly large. Anyhow the Rift S is not a bad contender, and the price leaves room for a food budget😂

Also there is the mystical Acer ConceptD OJO, which uses the same displays as the Reverb, but has a mechanical IPD adjuster. If it ever surfaces...🙄

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I am curious about ConceptD from ACER but it is a long time since I have heard the first info and so far no news anymore... 

Edited by Tapi

Posted (edited)

Bit the bullet and just purchased the reverb from derekenwinkel.nl, likely have it early next week. I'll just have to try it for myself. 

Edited by Wulfen
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wulfen said:

Bit the bullet and just purchased the reverb from derekenwinkel.nl, likely have it early week. I'll just have to try if for myself. 

:good:

Good luck, let us know how you like it!

Posted (edited)

Sounds like an hmd having both HW & SW adjustments would be the ideal setup. SW only hmd's are a cost cutting solution placing consumers at risk. This is a suboptimal situation where eyesight is concerned. Unfortunately there are no maufacturer' standards nor anyone to advocate for consumers on such issues. This reminds me of the situation with HOTAS systems where consumer units from old line manufacturers have become so problematic that a market for small volume fabricators has been created. IDK if it's possible with VR, but might be of benefit to consumers if feasible.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

34 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

Sounds like an hmd having both HW & SW adjustments would be the ideal setup. SW only hmd's are a cost cutting solution placing consumers at risk. This is a suboptimal situation where eyesight is concerned.

I agree, it does exclude a lot of consumers. One pro for the SW IPD though, is that it reduces cost on consumers, making it a fair bit more affordable. Sadly for a user unwilling to sacrifice on resolution the only viable choices were the Reverb, or wait for the OJO.

The OJO seemed a bit "clunky" though. It looks a bit like a Transformer Toaster. So I'm worried about the comfort.

13 minutes ago, kissklas said:

I agree, it does exclude a lot of consumers. One pro for the SW IPD though, is that it reduces cost on consumers, making it a fair bit more affordable. Sadly for a user unwilling to sacrifice on resolution the only viable choices were the Reverb, or wait for the OJO.

The OJO seemed a bit "clunky" though. It looks a bit like a Transformer Toaster. So I'm worried about the comfort.

I wouldn't presume that savings in production costs are passed along to consumers. Since production economies are not necessarily adopted in my interest I would prefer to have more user comfort features than fewer.